2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Reaction Score
Yes, their off-season moves are going to be something to watch closely. Personally, I think Dunn is the one we should be focusing on because her decisions will impact what Sides is able to do next season. Will be interesting to see what happens in 2025.
Absolutely. As previous posters have observed the current roster construction and allocation of salary budget limits the ceiling for the club.

As a husky fan I'm very grateful that Lou has a roster spot but it's a head scratcher that she starts and she's indeed fortunate. The key is what to do with Smith particularly as the club has improved so dramatically and Boston certainly would benefit from a more traditional paint partner.

Wheeler, Wallace, Smith, Berger.....hum.

Dantas and Fagbenle turn 32 in the offseason.

Lots of opportunity to make changes. I often hear on the boneyard about the limited number of slots in the w and the huge number of talented players who don't get a shot. It seems to me some of those players could and should get a shot in Indiana.

Reaction Score
I was one of a few people who voiced support for Coach Side at the start of the season when many were saying that she was in over her head coaching. Coach Side is in her 2nd year coaching and it takes a minute to build a winning team and with the Fever, they have been struggling for a while with some decent coaches (Marianne Stanley) and things just never took off. Hopefully Linn Dunn let's Side coach and continue to build Indiana into a powerhouse. They are close.
I will say she finally has gotten Mitchell to become a very good team player. She has finally with Clark, and Boston, let the game come to her, rather then try to do it all.
They will be a dangerous team in the first round of the playoffs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I thought some of her coaching and decision making was atrocious starting the year but they’ve really turned it around, so I’ll give her props. Team chemistry looks much stronger, Clark’s decision making and shot selection have improved which Sides deserves some credit for. Is she the coach to lead them back to the finals? I’m not sure, but I think they’d be foolish to let her go at this juncture.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. As previous posters have observed the current roster construction and allocation of salary budget limits the ceiling for the club.

As a husky fan I'm very grateful that Lou has a roster spot but it's a head scratcher that she starts and she's indeed fortunate. The key is what to do with Smith particularly as the club has improved so dramatically and Boston certainly would benefit from a more traditional paint partner.

Wheeler, Wallace, Smith, Berger.....hum.

Dantas and Fagbenle turn 32 in the offseason.

Lots of opportunity to make changes. I often hear on the boneyard about the limited number of slots in the w and the huge number of talented players who don't get a shot. It seems to me some of those players could and should get a shot in Indiana.
I will say she finally has gotten Mitchell to become a very good team player. She has finally with Clark, and Boston, let the game come to her, rather then try to do it all.
They will be a dangerous team in the first round of the playoffs.
I thought some of her coaching and decision making was atrocious starting the year but they’ve really turned it around, so I’ll give her props. Team chemistry looks much stronger, Clark’s decision making and shot selection have improved which Sides deserves some credit for. Is she the coach to lead them back to the finals? I’m not sure, but I think they’d be foolish to let her go at this juncture.

Appreciate the feedback from all of you. The team's development since the start of the season has shown several flashes of potential and thought Sides' influence had impact. It's a great story for Indiana from several different angles.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, what will Indiana Fever GM Lin Dunn be working with this postseason?
I went over to Spotrac for a review at salaries of several of the players and this is what I found.
Based on that, I made added some thoughts (or "druthers" as I call them). Do you have any?

Contracts Done After 2024; Free Agents in 2025
  • Kelsey Mitchell (making $212,000 this year)
  • Erica Wheeler (making $202,154 this year)
  • Temi Fagbenle (RFA in 2025; making $76,525 this year)
Druthers:
  • Mitchell and Clark are getting stronger as a backcourt pair. Cheat on Clark, Mitchell makes you pay. Keep her at all costs.
  • Wheeler came from Atlanta but isn't on court to justify huge contract. Use money on other needs (forward!)
  • Dunn should count lucky starts she's now free of Wheeler's salary (which she gave).
  • Fagbenle is 32 and after a good start, was injured, plus Dantas is under contract through 2025.

On Contract Through 2025 Season

Club exercised 4th year option on:
  • Lexie Hull (makes $88,201 this year)
  • Kristy Wallace (makes $80, 823 this year)
  • Nalyssa Smith (makes $91,981 this year)
And these run until end of '25:
  • Katie Lou Samuelson (will make $180,250)
  • Damaris Dantis (will make $100,00 this year)
Druthers:
  • So the logjam at small forward will not have any subtractions from Hull, KLS or Wallace. Could one be traded?
  • If Dantis can stay healthy, she could provide depth up front.
  • There are a lot of Free Agents in the frontcourt which run the gambit in salaries Nneka O. and Satou Sabally on one tier to Myisha Hines-Allen and Jessica Shepard at others. Will be interesting to see what Wheeler's salary turns into.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So, what will Lin Dunn be working with postseason. I went over to Spotrac for a gander at salaries of several of the players and this is what I found:

Contracts Done After 2024; Free Agents in 2025

• Kelsey Mitchell (making $212,000 this year)
  • Erica Wheeler (making $202,154 this year)
  • Temi Fagbenle (RFA in 2025; making $76,525 this year)

Druthers:
  • Mitchell and Clark are getting stronger as a backcourt pair. Cheat on Clark, Mitchell makes you pay.
  • Dunn should count lucky starts she's now free of Wheeler's salary (which she gave).
  • Fagbenle is 32 and after a good start, was injured, plus Dantas is under contract through 2025.

On Contract Through 2025 Season

Club exercised 4th year option on:
  • Lexie Hull (makes $88,201 this year)
  • Kristy Wallace (makes $80, 823 this year)
  • Nalyssa Smith (makes $91,981 this year)

And these run until end of '25:
  • Katie Lou Samuelson (will make $180,250)
  • Damaris Dantis (will make $100,00 this year)

Druthers:
  • So the logjam at small forward will not have any subtractions from Hull, KLS or Wallace. Could one be traded?
  • If Dantis can stay healthy, she could provide depth up front.
  • There are a lot of Free Agents in the frontcourt which run the gambit in salaries Nneka O. and Satou Sabally on one tier to Myisha Hines-Allen and Jessica Shepard at others. Will be interesting to see what Wheeler's salary turns into.
IMO they should:
1. Throw everything at Mitchell to convince her to stay. She’s a great compliment to Clark and they’re quickly emerging as one of the best backcourts in the league.
2. Off load Smith who hasn’t seemed happy in Indy. Trade for picks most likely.
3. Don’t resign Wheeler (love her attitude but she’s easily the most overpaid player in the league)
4. Part ways with Wallace. Keep KLS and Hull. Likely part ways with KLS after 2025.
5. Match any offer for Fagbenle, she was such a great fit prior to injury.
6. Focus on signing a top quality SF or PF player with Wheeler’s money. Nneka, Natasha Howard, and Satou are all available.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So, it’s not just the Clarkistas now:

Interesting read. For a few years Candace Parker often struggled playing games with just 1 day rest in between playoff games but usually flourished when she got 2+ days of rest. I'd be interested to see what the numbers look like for other players aside from Clark, but love her or hate her, it's hard to deny that she's quickly establishing herself as one of the best players in the world in her first season.

Reaction Score
The only first round playoff game of note will be Seattle versus the Aces which should be really interesting and an exciting series.

New York and the two and three seeds shouldn't have any problem with the bottom of the league.

The lack of excitement for these games is reflected in our discussion about the anticipated offseason moves by the Fever. One also wonders about changes in Chicago or do they have patience. And the deepest mystery of all will the million dollar coach in the valley of the Sun be extended so they can get him to 2 million a year.

Reaction Score
IMO they should:
1. Throw everything at Mitchell to convince her to stay. She’s a great compliment to Clark and they’re quickly emerging as one of the best backcourts in the league.
2. Off load Smith who hasn’t seemed happy in Indy. Trade for picks most likely.
3. Don’t resign Wheeler (love her attitude but she’s easily the most overpaid player in the league)
4. Part ways with Wallace. Keep KLS and Hull. Likely part ways with KLS in 2025.
5. Match any offer for Fagbenle, she was such a great fit prior to injury.
6. Focus on signing a top quality SF or PF player with Wheeler’s money. Nneka, Natasha Howard, and Satou are all available.
Agree... Her agent deserves a medal.

Is KLS the second most overpaid player in the league? Her agent also deserves props although he had the name and pedigree to work with.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agree... Her agent deserves a medal.

Is KLS the second most overpaid player in the league? Her agent also deserves props although he had the name and pedigree to work with.
It’s her, or DT (235k/year) or Mercedes Russell (160k/year). KLS is locked in for another year, the other two are UFA next season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Revenge game for Mabrey? Dropped 24 on Chicago. Sun only won by 2 though.

I'm sorry...I really don't care how many rebounds Reese grabs if she keeps shooting in the 25-30% range from point blank range. She had one efficient game since the break so I gave her props, but she was back to 3-12 tonight. 20 boards is a lot, but if you can't put the ball in the bucket, who cares?

Dream lost to the Merc so Sky hold a 1 game lead still, but that isn't going to last long.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces are so weird this year. Started 6-6 without Gray. Seemed to right the ship when she returned by winning 10 of 11, but then had a slip up against the Sky right before the break. Now 1-3 since play has resumed, so they've lost 4 of 5 and look completely mediocre. With Gray.

Reaction Score
I gotta admit. I was worried about my Minnesota Lynx and how they would look coming back from the Olympic break. 4 game swing and to win them all, especially taking 2 against the defending champs, the Lynx look great and Phee is creeping up on A'ja for that League MVP honor. 10-12 games left. Let's see what develops.

Reaction Score
Aces are so weird this year. Started 6-6 without Gray. Seemed to right the ship when she returned by winning 10 of 11, but then had a slip up against the Sky right before the break. Now 1-3 since play has resumed, so they've lost 4 of 5 and look completely mediocre. With Gray.
Yeah the Aces look out of sync in every element of the game of basketball. Their focus does not seem to be there. Before the season started there was the talk of a 3-Peat but we see that drive for that 3-Peat is sputtering right now. They can still flip the switch and turn it around. We shall see. But right now, they are a mystery. Too late in the season to still be struggling offensively & defensively.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Revenge game for Mabrey? Dropped 24 on Chicago. Sun only won by 2 though.

I'm sorry...I really don't care how many rebounds Reese grabs if she keeps shooting in the 25-30% range from point blank range. She had one efficient game since the break so I gave her props, but she was back to 3-12 tonight. 20 boards is a lot, but if you can't put the ball in the bucket, who cares?

Dream lost to the Merc so Sky hold a 1 game lead still, but that isn't going to last long.
- Sun needed one of Mabrey's "on" games in that she and Alyssa Thomas were the only Suns to shoot decently. Mabrey went 9-13 overall and 5-7 from three, while Thomas was 5-7 from the field, dished out 11 assists and hit the winning free throws (fouled on a drive off a Mabrey dish). Rest of Sun: Bonner (3-16); Jones (3-9); Carrington (2-12) and Harris (1-7). They'd better find their touch on the drive down I-95 to Brooklyn for tonight's game against the LIberty.

- "80" was a key figure in first three games last night: 82-80 was the score for Sun-Sky and Mercury-Dream, while Mystics beat Sparks 80-74.

- Since the break, I've watched most of the Aces games and agree that they just don't look in sync for stretches of time. Far be it from me to critique someone who will make the Hall of Fame, but I sometimes feel Becky Hammons is struggling to mix virtually anyone with her big three. Gray, understandably, isn't all back yet; Clark and Hayes alternate between essential and good subs, while Gustafson and Martin make under-10 minutes appearances and that's it (even though I though MG had some pep in her step last night, which the Aces need). If some ingredients are not emphasized, I think there's got to be some rethinking in off-season.

Reaction Score
Also, Taurasi with the highlight real steal and assists to Celeste Taylor that I thought was worth posting

To think she was on a different team barely a day or two ago. it was a beautiful play. There was a different camera angle they showed during the game that better accentuates Taurasi's skill with that pass. You could see how it curved, like a cue ball on a pool table. Taylor will have that memory for the rest of her life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom