2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Today Clark broke the record for number of assists during a rookie season. She did it in 28 games, Penicheiro played in 30 when she set the previous record. With 12 games left, Caitlin is going to obliterate that record. She has a realistic chance of breaking the record AT set last year for most assists in a season.

Reaction Score
Excited for the Mercury rematch tonight against the Sky.

DT and mates look to extend their record setting string of t triple games to three in the rematch. Carter and Reese may be the catalyst to motivate the verbal skill demonstrated by the goat and friends to work the refs.

I'm sure the million-dollar coach will have his squad prepared as we all wonder which Sky team will show up.

Speaking of wonder fans in Phoenix are hoping BG got rested and took her vitamins. She seemed remarkably uninterested and dare I say passive in the loss to CC and Friends as she accumulated more fouls than rebounds. In fact Mercury backup Mack in addition to out rebounding BG really showed what it's like to see someone with energy and passion on the court acknowledging that she doesn't possess nearly the height or skill level of her starting teammate.

Further wonderings include final league standings as the Fever after lighting up Phoenix for 98 put 92 on the vaunted Storm defense. The Fever have the same commitment to defense as the Mercury but they sure seem to be able to score the ball so could they pass the Mercury in the standings? At the end of the Storm-Fever broadcast today Rebecca reminded us that after the horrible opening schedule the Fever have the easiest strength of schedule down the stretch.

This season ending excitement continues tonight as the Mercury look to extend their technical foul record and keep pace with a fiery hot Fever team. I mean they have Lexi and we don't.

Reaction Score

DT and mates look to extend their record setting string of t triple games to three in the rematch. Carter and Reese may be the catalyst to motivate the verbal skill demonstrated by the goat and friends to work the refs.

I'm sure the million-dollar coach will have his squad prepared as we all wonder which Sky team will show up.

Speaking of wonder fans in Phoenix are hoping BG got rested and took her vitamins. She seemed remarkably uninterested and dare I say passive in the loss to CC and Friends as she accumulated more fouls than rebounds. In fact Mercury backup Mack in addition to out rebounding BG really showed what it's like to see someone with energy and passion on the court acknowledging that she doesn't possess nearly the height or skill level of her starting teammate.

Further wonderings include final league standings as the Fever after lighting up Phoenix for 98 put 92 on the vaunted Storm defense. The Fever have the same commitment to defense as the Mercury but they sure seem to be able to score the ball so could they pass the Mercury in the standings? At the end of the Storm-Fever broadcast today Rebecca reminded us that after the horrible opening schedule the Fever have the easiest strength of schedule down the stretch.

This season ending excitement continues tonight as the Mercury look to extend their technical foul record and keep pace with a fiery hot Fever team. I mean they have Lexi and we don't.
I think the Fever could creep into that #5 playoff spot with the way things are lining up for them concerning their schedule and team chemistry. Barring injuries, I think they will surpass the Mercury and widen the gap between them and the teams below them, thus at least locking down the #6 seed.

Reaction Score

Quick reminder, azfan: the Fever happened to beat the Mercury three straight this season without Lexie going nuts from three.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Yep!

Who couldn't... Perhaps Connecticut and Seattle who both lost today to bottom dwellers. The Sun really made Atlanta look outstanding likewise Seattle's vaunted defense really had trouble containing the offensive machine known as Lexi Hull.

Defense really key but of the contenders in the w it appears Sandy Brondello has Liberty bringing the pain.
I wouldn't call Indy a bottom dweller, at least not since the first 10 games

Reaction Score
Quick reminder, azfan: the Fever happened to beat the Mercury three straight this season without Lexie going nuts from three.
Ikr.

While both will be easy outs in the first round the Fever would be more likely to pull an upset than the million dollar coach's squat.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces pulled away late, but why have they had so much trouble w/ LA this year? Ongoing revenge tour for Hamby? Wilson w/ another stellar game 34/13, Plum w/ some window dressing at the end to finish w/ 21.

I have a hard time seeing them 3 peat. They just don't have the look of a Championship team. Running out of time to flip the switch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Aces pulled away late, but why have they had so much trouble w/ LA this year? Ongoing revenge tour for Hamby? Wilson w/ another stellar game 34/13, Plum w/ some window dressing at the end to finish w/ 21.

I have a hard time seeing them 3 peat. They just don't have the look of a Championship team. Running out of time to flip the switch.
Agreed, they don't look like a real title contender IMO and are running out of time. The biggest problem is Stokes is a huge offensive liability (1.9 ppg in 20.6 mpg) and Chelsea Gray isn't close to being the player she was a year ago. Gray was cut and dry the best PG in the world a year ago, now she's a shell of herself coming off the achilles injury. Plum/Wilson/Young is as good a trio as you'll find in the league but the lack of production in options 4/5 will kill them going up against the Sun or Liberty who have balance offensively

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Agreed, they don't look like a real title contender IMO and are running out of time. The biggest problem is Stokes is a huge offensive liability (1.9 ppg in 20.6 mpg) and Chelsea Gray isn't close to being the player she was a year ago. Gray was cut and dry the best PG in the world a year ago, now she's a shell of herself coming off the achilles injury. Plum/Wilson/Young is as good a trio as you'll find in the league but the lack of production in options 4/5 will kill them going up against the Sun or Liberty who have balance offensively
Doesn't help that Clark seems to be fading. Hayes has had some good games but overall hasn't helped w/ scoring punch off the bench as much as I hoped. And Gustafson went from tearing everybody up at the Olympics playing for Spain back to doing just short of nothing for the Aces. Martin also has faded a lot since her early season bigger than expected splash.

Reaction Score
They got Parker and Gray to go with 3 number 1 choices the first year. The 2nd year they got Clark one of the best defenders last year. Everyone is one year older, and Clark ins't the same defender and scorer. Hayes is a nice addition, but not the same player she was either.

Reaction Score
She has said recently she just broke her foot, no ligament damage apparently.

Reaction Score
Yep!

Who couldn't... Perhaps Connecticut and Seattle who both lost today to bottom dwellers. The Sun really made Atlanta look outstanding likewise Seattle's vaunted defense really had trouble containing the offensive machine known as Lexi Hull.

Defense really key but of the contenders in the w it appears Sandy Brondello has Liberty bringing the pain.
Signs are all good.....but I was a bit disappointed that the balance in shot attempts between the two guards and Boston was far too much in their favor. I suppose one can say it is taking advantage of opportunities but the scoring dynamics between the three is important to have some semblance of balance between the backcourt and the frontcourt. It was trending towards that balance already, I hope they don't regress to their early season form in that regard. They are winning, so no one will complain but harder games are ahead....

Reaction Score
Signs are all good.....but I was a bit disappointed that the balance in shot attempts between the two guards and Boston was far too much in their favor. I suppose one can say it is taking advantage of opportunities but the scoring dynamics between the three is important to have some semblance of balance between the backcourt and the frontcourt. It was trending towards that balance already, I hope they don't regress to their early season form in that regard. They are winning, so no one will complain but harder games are ahead....
I suspect at least a part of today's shot atempt disparity between Aliyah and Caitlin/Kelsey was named Ezi Magbegor. It wasn't easy for Boston to get her shots, hence fewer shot attempts but lots more assists from her... I doubt she was complaining.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I know. It was almost sad watching her play at the Olympics. She was getting her pocket picked by speedy guards on offense, and blown by on defense, and she used to be among the best two-way guards the W has ever seen. I'm hoping she just needs another off-season to fully recover, but it felt a little like she was playing her podcast at x0.75 speed when everyone else was at x1.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Lexie Hull looks like she is turning into that "3 and D" player the Fever so desperately need.
Praise be. She was more than that in college, and expected to be that given her no. 6 pick (in an admittedly weak draft). I've never really understood why it hasn't clicked for her in the W - heck, even in AU she has shined as in college, where she was a trey draining machine when left open. I'm hoping her charming camaraderie with Clark and Boston provides the confidence boost it's seemed like she's needed. Indiana has a ton of young talent and it feels like they're really clicking into gear now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
We never officially heard what Gray's injury was, did we? She returned sooner than Plum or Stewie when they tore their Achilles. But both of those players were as good or better than ever when they returned. So I'm kinda guessing it was something else for Chelsea.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay, I've been rough on Reese lately with her shooting, so it's only fair I commend her on her 19 pt/20 rebound game while shooting 50% from the floor. That is outstanding.

Unfortunately I think Chicago is unofficially officially tanking the rest of the season.

Billings w/ a nice debut for the Merc. Okay Chicago, Copper and Cloud shot a combined 4-18 and 0-7 from 3 and you still lost by 18? :eek:

Reaction Score
Can we start an official "how long til Atlanta passes Chicago in the standings" countdown?
Easy there. Having Canada, Howard and Gray available has improved guard play. Hillmon continues to prove those who thought she was too small wrong and has done well as a starter. With Parker-Tyus suffering a foot injury, it reduces their front court strength a bit. While I'm glad to see Atlanta grind a couple tough games out, let's see how things play out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom