2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana-Phoenix was quite an entertaining game to watch. Clark was at her best with 29 points and 10 assists on 50% shooting. After the brutal start where Indy played 11 games in 20 days and went 2-9, her averages in the last 16 games (10-6 record) are:

18.9 points, 9.6 assists, 6.3 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.7 A/TO with shooting splits of 44.4/35.0/88.9.

It's pretty cut and dry that she's the best PG in the league right now which is remarkable for a rookie. So much for the speculation that she'd struggle this year. I could see Indiana as a legitimate title threat next year if they pick up a big name vet in free agency to pair with Clark/Boston. There's lots of speculation that Nalyssa Smith/Kelsey Mitchell will not be back.

Speaking of Kelsey Mitchell, she was great tonight. Indiana looked terrific aside from a brutal stretch where Phoenix made an insane comeback. Major props to the Mercury for battling after playing last night and having 3 starters come back from Paris earlier this week. They were down 26 in the first half and rallied to take a lead in the 3rd quarter. Really fun game highlighted by great offense and playmaking on both sides.

Reaction Score
Indiana-Phoenix was quite an entertaining game to watch. Clark was at her best with 29 points and 10 assists on 50% shooting. After the brutal start where Indy played 11 games in 20 days and went 2-9, her averages in the last 16 games (10-6 record) are:

18.9 points, 9.6 assists, 6.3 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.7 A/TO with shooting splits of 44.4/35.0/88.9.

It's pretty cut and dry that she's the best PG in the league right now which is remarkable for a rookie. So much for the speculation that she'd struggle this year. I could see Indiana as a legitimate title threat next year if they pick up a big name vet in free agency to pair with Clark/Boston. There's lots of speculation that Nalyssa Smith/Kelsey Mitchell will not be back.

Speaking of Kelsey Mitchell, she was great tonight. Indiana looked terrific aside from a brutal stretch where Phoenix made an insane comeback. Major props to the Mercury for battling after playing last night and having 3 starters come back from Paris earlier this week. They were down 26 in the first half and rallied to take a lead in the 3rd quarter. Really fun game highlighted by great offense and playmaking on both sides.
Mitchell was recently interviewed about this and she said it would be her first time as a free agent and that she was excited to go through the process. I didn't get the impression that she was hinting at wanting to leave. I bet Indiana will do everything in their power to keep her so I doubt she leaves but there may be intangibles that make her seek a change.

The Fever need to start thinking now about keeping their star players by ensuring that Indiana has the best facilities and support staff in the league. With all the sponsorships, sell out crowds and local excitement, the Fever staff need to capitalize on it now to upgrade their facilities.

Reaction Score
Indiana-Phoenix was quite an entertaining game to watch. Clark
Absolutely.

Especially if you love offense. The Fever did exactly what they had to do in a home game against an old tired Mercury team on the second game of a road back to back. The million dollar coach and his tired squad indicated that then when they reached deep down to play defense well there's nothing there.

Both of these teams seem to share a defensive philosophy which is we need to shoot more than you can shoot. After a solid first half the Fever seem to employ a hack a Copper defense and the million dollar coach's technical foul strategy began to bear fruit against an opponent who despises defense as much as he does.

Sunday Mercury get a rematch with the Sky as they seek to extend their triumvirate of technicals to a third straight game.

In any event I would speculate that when the playoffs begin both of these teams will be easy outs for whoever gets to play them. Given the track record of the Phoenix Mercury I'm guessing maybe they extend the million dollar coach and double his salary.

While they held Reese company to 65 on Thursday (or maybe the Sky are just that bad) the over under is the Sky should exceed that by a 20 points, particularly if Carter plays. That's an interesting mystery as well non-covid illness? Is that code for something?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mitchell was recently interviewed about this and she said it would be her first time as a free agent and that she was excited to go through the process. I didn't get the impression that she was hinting at wanting to leave. I bet Indiana will do everything in their power to keep her so I doubt she leaves but there may be intangibles that make her seek a change.

The Fever need to start thinking now about keeping their star players by ensuring that Indiana has the best facilities and support staff in the league. With all the sponsorships, sell out crowds and local excitement, the Fever staff need to capitalize on it now to upgrade their facilities.
Mitchell made a comment saying “good for them” in regards to Indiana hosting the 2025 ASG which has led to speculation that she’s out of Indiana after this year. She catches a lot of flack for whatever reason but I think she’s been excellent for Indiana and fills her role quite well there

Reaction Score
Mitchell made a comment saying “good for them” in regards to Indiana hosting the 2025 ASG which has led to speculation that she’s out of Indiana after this year. She catches a lot of flack for whatever reason but I think she’s been excellent for Indiana and fills her role quite well there
"Them" in this context could mean anything. For all we know, it was a reference to the support staff that were campaigning for the opportunity...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the entire game, but I thought Mabrey fit in very well in Connecticut's system. Will be interesting to see if this trade helps Connecticut during the playoffs.
Carrington didn't play for personal reasons, so Coach White didn't have to show her hand/make a decision on whether Mabrey starts.
As such, White and Mabrey had the benefit of playing a bunch of minutes (30) to get acclimated to the collective and individual flows of the Sun. Veronica Burton and Tyasha Harris split lots of time at the other guard spot.

BTW, it was really strange seeing Mabrey, Burton and Harris all playing on Dallas' home floor. Given Coach Trammel's alleged preference for defensive expertise, I'm still perplexed Burton was a last cut on that team. :rolleyes: Wings loss, Sun gain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carrington didn't play for personal reasons, so Coach White didn't have to show her hand/make a decision on whether Mabrey starts.
As such, White and Mabrey had the benefit of playing a bunch of minutes (30) to get acclimated to the collective and individual flows of the Sun. Veronic Burton and Tyasha Harris split lots of time at the other guard spot.

BTW, it was really strange seeing Mabrey, Burton and Harris all playing on Dallas' home floor. Given Coach Trammel's alleged preference for defensive expertise, I'm still perplexed she was a last cut on that team. :rolleyes: Wings loss, Sun gain.

That's been something I've wondered myself. This has definitely worked to the benefit of Connecticut and these three players. Harris and Burton seem to be thriving there. Looking forward to seeing what Mabrey can do with this team.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Karlie has only played 1 minute in the Mystics/Lynx game. Anyone know whaddup?

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Teams with ties to Sue, Dee, and Stewie.
She played with Sue and Stewie in Seattle in the WNBA; played with Stewie at UConn.....things like this can be factors, so not surprised.

Gabby has been on record as liking her experience in Seattle where she last played after Sue and Stewie left. I am not sure that Seattle still holds her rights this year but I read somewhere that if she sits out the WNBA this year, she will be a full FA next year. Not entirely sure about all RFA, FA terms and conditions and for a few games towards the end of the season, not worth the effort of finding out.

Right now both she and Marine Johannes have left ASVEL Lyon due to budget issues and, I read somewhere that she signed for Fenerbahce in July. Not sure about their season and whether there is a gap to accommodate rest-of-season with the WNBA.

Wonder if Marine also signed with the same team.....it had been fun watching them play together.

Reaction Score
I'd imagine Nika would get cut to make space for Gabby. And Sue IS a part owner for Seattle so still involved with the team. I do think Seattle is the most likely landing spot for miss Wiliams but the place where I would be most uninterested in seeing her land.
Not sure it would be Nika; could be the other Williams - Kiana, who also seldom plays and is probably getting paid more?

Reaction Score
She played with Sue and Stewie in Seattle in the WNBA; played with Stewie at UConn.....things like this can be factors, so not surprised.

Gabby has been on record as liking her experience in Seattle where she last played after Sue and Stewie left. I am not sure that Seattle still holds her rights this year but I read somewhere that if she sits out the WNBA this year, she will be a full FA next year. Not entirely sure about all RFA, FA terms and conditions and for a few games towards the end of the season, not worth the effort of finding out.

Right now both she and Marine Johannes have left ASVEL Lyon due to budget issues and, I read somewhere that she signed for Fenerbahce in July. Not sure about their season and whether there is a gap to accommodate rest-of-season with the WNBA.

Wonder if Marine also signed with the same team.....it had been fun watching them play together.
The Liberty won't win a Championship with Sloot and Sabrina as the backcourt, no defense. Gabby would be a perfect fit, Sloot, Sabrina, and Gabby could split time, and Gabby could play some 3.

Reaction Score
Seattle management continues to keep in touch with Gabby. They do want her back and it would indeed be Vivians who would likely go. Gabby and Whitcomb have already played together in Seattle, I believe.

Reaction Score
Lou and Karlie together!
You know that they have actually been teammates in the Spanish team they joined which they took to the Spanish League championship before Lou had her baby.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Liberty won't win a Championship with Sloot and Sabrina as the backcourt, no defense. Gabby would be a perfect fit, Sloot, Sabrina, and Gabby could split time, and Gabby could play some 3.
Not Gabby's problem. They would have to persuade her, no?

I almost completely agree, though.....only way they can is outscore the opponent.....and they still haven't figured out how to get Stewie and Jonquel to dominate at the same time.

This is an issue many have recognized and commented on early in the season......there has been very little improvement on perimeter defense unless Stewie roams and Jonquel dominates in the post. The current occupant of starting small forward is actually a pretty good defender - the weakness is Sloot, even as Sabrina is improving. The sum of all the player dynamics continue to be team's weakness in perimeter defense.

The fix is not a simple plug and play - remove somebody, plug Gabby - this year.....but there is no question that Gabby would help just the same - she is also a much better playmaker - not to mention better athlete and defender - than Betnijah who is currently a significant contributor to the Libs as they are rostered.. Don't know if it will work for rest of season in terms of players learning to work together instinctively but the fact Gabby has played with Stewie in the past would give it a chance - it would give them two very mobile and excellent defenders who can read, react and anticipate well together.

BTW, we'll see how the Liberty plays the Aces (with Chelsea back) in their coming game......maybe the Lib's coach has come up with something (during the Olympics break) to make the current roster more effective - the Sparks were no test of any kind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not Gabby's problem. They would have to persuade her, no?

I almost completely agree, though.....only way they can is outscore the opponent.....and they still haven't figured out how to get Stewie and Jonquel to dominate at the same time.

This is an issue many have recognized and commented on early in the season......there has been very little improvement on perimeter defense unless Stewie roams and Jonquel dominates in the post. The current occupant of starting small forward is actually a pretty good defender - the weakness is Sloot, even as Sabrina is improving. The sum of all the player dynamics continue to be team's weakness in perimeter defense.

The fix is not a simple plug and play - remove somebody, plug Gabby - this year.....but there is no question that Gabby would help just the same - she is also a much better playmaker - not to mention better athlete and defender - than Betnijah who is currently a significant contributor to the Libs as they are rostered.. Don't know if it will work for rest of season in terms of players learning to work together instinctively but the fact Gabby has played with Stewie in the past would give it a chance - it would give them two very mobile and excellent defenders who can read, react and anticipate well together.

BTW, we'll see how the Liberty plays the Aces (with Chelsea back) in their coming game......maybe the Lib's coach has come up with something (during the Olympics break) to make the current roster more effective - the Sparks were no test of any kind.
All good points and the reason Seattle could win with Sue, Loyd was good at defense, and so was Clark at small forward.
New York may be able to win games in the regular season. But Las Vegas, Minnesota, and now Connecticut with Mabrey, will be better in the playoffs.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Minnesota blew out Washington in Q3/early Q4. Last 8 minutes or so of the game totally unnecessary and dragged on for forever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Finally mercifully over. 99-83 final, wasn't really that close. Collier w/ 30, hardly missed from the floor. Dolson w/ 23 and she DIDN'T miss a shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom