2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Reaction Score

Regardless what some think of Reese, this is an EXCELLENT idea and could help so many female athletes as a whole. Cyberbullying is so much larger an issue than what people realize. The fact 87% of female athletes are targeted in some form is so disheartening.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This idea could make a lot of sense for Indiana, but I don't know about if it would for Washington.

How would Smith fit in on a roster that includes Edwards, Engstler, and Austin? And is it fair value considering what you're giving up in Sykes and Hines-Allen? Washington seems to be the loser in this deal from my perspective. They need someone like Sykes to balance out the guard rotation that they have with Vanloo, Karlie Samuelson and Melbourne.
Plus, KLS and Karlie could then battle it out for minutes at small forward. How strange.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Per @GoChips20 question on Ms. Smith, Kevin Pelton has some definite thoughts on this, which is why he includes her in his proposed trades. First, reasoning:

"That has made Smith, the No. 2 pick in 2022, something of a tricky fit. Smith's best skill, volume scoring, is no longer as useful for the Fever with Clark and Boston leading the offense," writes Pelton. "Her 11.6 points per game are a career low. And Smith's defensive limitations caused Indiana coach Christie Sides to briefly demote her from the starting lineup....As a result now might be the time to restructure around Clark and Boston."

Proposed trade:

Indiana Fever get: Guard Brittney Sykes, forward Myisha Hines-Allen, 2026 second-round pick
Washington Mystics get: Forwards Katie Lou Samuelson and NaLyssa Smith, center Victaria Saxton, 2026 first-round pick

Hines-Allen can be a chameleon; doing whatever is required at the moment.

Besides opening up space in the frontcourt for Boston, Pelton wants to winnow out the small-forward overstocking GM Lin Dunn did with KLS, Wallace and Lexie Hull.

Lou and Karlie together!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll let someone else provide the details, as I have an early flight, but the Olympians had a good night: Phee, Smith, Stewie, Sabrina, BG, Copper, DT, Hamby, Nurse, Melbourne all scored 10+. Only Carleton (4) and Vanloo (0) had bad nights.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In the beginning of the post Mabrey era, Chicago got blown out by Phoenix. Looks like it was pretty much over after the first quarter. But at least Reese got another double double...while shooting 4-14 from the floor.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oops, I should add that Carter didn't play for Chicago tonight.

Reaction Score
I feel the opposite of our expectations happened last night. The Olympians looked fresh and the rest looked sluggish.

Reaction Score
Was nice to see Austin, Sykes and Samuelson back on the court for Washington. This team hasn't had their full roster for most of the season if my recollection is correct.

Looking forward to seeing what Dallas looks like with Sabally returning. Granted having to do that against Connecticut isn't ideal but it is what it is.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Oops, I should add that Carter didn't play for Chicago tonight.
Yup...think that had something to do with it, as well. ;)
However, I do think Carter is going to find doubles coming to her early and often now that Mabrey is gone.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Weren't they together briefly in LA? I could be wrong.
@MilfordHusky @canconte
nt

Yes, Karlie and Lou were together briefly at LA.

BTW, Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats has some proposed trades as well and he, too, has Karlie and KLS together...but in Indiana:

Indiana Fever trade Lexie Hull and Grace Berger to the Washington Mystics for Karlie Samuelson

Not sure the Mystics would want Berger given how they also have VanLoo and Melbourne.

Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky @canconte
nt

Yes, Karlie and Lou were together briefly at LA.

BTW, Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats has some proposed trades as well and he, too, has Karlie and KLS together...but in Indiana:

Indiana Fever trade Lexie Hull and Grace Berger to the Washington Mystics for Karlie Samuelson

Not sure the Mystics would want Berger given how they also have VanLoo and Melbourne.
Seems like the media pundits are all in on a Samuelson sister reunion.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Next caught up with Marina Mabrey prior to her debut with The Sun vs. Dallas tonight.
I thought UConn and ND fans alike would find this quote interesting.

" (Marina) Mabrey loves the culture that Connecticut fans create when it comes to women’s basketball, despite her playing in college for Notre Dame, one of UConn’s oldest and biggest rivals.
“The fans are super loyal. Like, they’re always there. They’re like die-hard 'bleed blue,'” Mabrey said. “It’s great for the sport, and I think that rivalry and that kind of competitiveness propel the sport. It makes people show up. So if they want to make a rival out of Notre Dame or whatever, that’s great. Let’s do it.
“I’m really excited to be here,” she said. “I’m here to win a championship and help this team get exactly where they’ve been working towards getting to these past couple years,” Mabrey said. “I know I’m a little bit late to the party, but better late than never. I’m just gonna bring my fire and my flair.”

Reaction Score
The Next caught up with Marina Mabrey prior to her debut with The Sun vs. Dallas tonight.
I thought UConn and ND fans alike would find this quote interesting.

" (Marina) Mabrey loves the culture that Connecticut fans create when it comes to women’s basketball, despite her playing in college for Notre Dame, one of UConn’s oldest and biggest rivals.
“The fans are super loyal. Like, they’re always there. They’re like die-hard 'bleed blue,'” Mabrey said. “It’s great for the sport, and I think that rivalry and that kind of competitiveness propel the sport. It makes people show up. So if they want to make a rival out of Notre Dame or whatever, that’s great. Let’s do it.
“I’m really excited to be here,” she said. “I’m here to win a championship and help this team get exactly where they’ve been working towards getting to these past couple years,” Mabrey said. “I know I’m a little bit late to the party, but better late than never. I’m just gonna bring my fire and my flair.”
With the Suns' roster, she's gonna fit in just fine.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Getting flashbacks of "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?", with the number of moves that has happened to Taylor this year.

Yeah, she played 17 minutes for the Mercury last night, so I found this surprising.

Reaction Score
Yeah, she played 17 minutes for the Mercury last night, so I found this surprising.
My comment was more about the number of teams she's been associated with in her rookie season, however someone provided an explanation.

Taylor was on a 7-day contract with Phoenix that ended with yesterday's game. Connecticut signing her is legal as she's a free agent, if that's the correct term to use here.

Reaction Score
My comment was more about the number of teams she's been associated with in her rookie season, however someone provided an explanation.

Taylor was on a 7-day contract with Phoenix that ended with yesterday's game. Connecticut signing her is legal as she's a free agent, if that's the correct term to use here.
Here's the explanation I was referring to.

Reaction Score
A 15 - 2 open propelled the Mercury to what I thought was a surprisingly easy win over the Sky. Tonight's game against Indiana will reveal a lot about both teams.

What was not surprising were the three t's the million dollar coach's team picked up in the game. Sophie Cunningham as part of a double technical, Copper for kicking the ball and of course the all time leader picked one up for really no apparent reason other than she's the all time leader.

This back to back road game will indicate to what extent the Mercury have addressed whatever issues are the foundation for their poor road performance. I think the pressure is squarely on CC and her mates to take care of business at home. The million dollar coach has an extremely short roster with all of his starters over 30 minutes last night. I'll be surprised if DT can muster 30 plus minutes and with Taylor headed back east I've got to wonder where the minutes are going to come from

Wondering if the GOAT can go back to back with Ts in limited minutes tonight. Indiana guards are licking their chops at the prospect of a tired DT on the defensive end of the court.

The calls for coaching change will certain escalate (understandably) if the Fever don't win at home tonight.

Edit-with Odyssey Sims available and the holes the million dollar new coach needs to fill in the roster it's a clear indication of the incompetence of the entire organization and management in roster construction and salary allocation that the Mer's hands really appear to be tied.

Last edited:

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
I assume Taylor was only signed by the Mercury b/c she was an available body near Indianapolis (she'd recently been cut). The Mercury had a pretty bad injury situation before that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom