2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gabby could lead the league in assists
Really? I couldn't even see her leading the team as long as Ionescu is there. Williams' career high so far is 3.8 per game. I think Clark is gonna be the league leader more often than not for a long time to come. And you still have players like AT and Cloud around who have topped the league at least once in their career.

edit--not to mention Vandersloot of course, but she appears to be downtrending toward the end of her career

Reaction Score

Not so fast my friend ;)

Certainly is good to be the GOAT.

If you watched the game it's clear DT wanted the t, got the t, and deserved the t.

Clearly the rules don't apply equally to everyone and I'm certain the league didn't want the million dollar coach's team down two starting guards for their next loss. Although based on their on court complaining they most certainly deserved to have those two suspended.

Reaction Score
Certainly is good to be the GOAT.

If you watched the game it's clear DT wanted the t, got the t, and deserved the t.

Clearly the rules don't apply equally to everyone and I'm certain the league didn't want the million dollar coach's team down two starting guards for their next loss. Although based on their on court complaining they most certainly deserved to have those two suspended.
Totally possible however the WNBA saw fit to rescind it. Is it due to her stature in the league or the league saw the T differently, will be up for interpretation based on one's perspective.

Reaction Score
Really? I couldn't even see her leading the team as long as Ionescu is there. Williams' career high so far is 3.8 per game. I think Clark is gonna be the league leader more often than not for a long time to come. And you still have players like AT and Cloud around who have topped the league at least once in their career.

edit--not to mention Vandersloot of course, but she appears to be downtrending toward the end of her career
I would imagine this is Vandersloot's last year, especially if they win the title. She really isn't anywhere the player she was, and New York needs a new backcourt player to be with Sabrina.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Matthew Collier of Her Hoops Stats Comments on:

- Kelsey Mitchell, individually and in conjunction with Caitlin Clark, have gotten on a serious roll. Plus, he examines her free agency status after this year.
One excerpt:
"Indiana can extend a core qualifying offer to Mitchell giving them exclusive negotiating rights in exchange for a one-year supermax salary. It’s hard to see them not doing that considering how the team has been playing with her and Clark clicking. However, the looming expansion draft does complicate things as it pertains to players who will be free agents."

- Sabally's Return Making Dallas Interesting...and Ogunbowale More Effective
Excerpt:
"With Sabally in the lineup over the last six games, Ogunbowale is shooting 43.8% with 6.0 assists per game and 2.2 turnovers.
Yes, it’s a tiny sample. But Sabally is averaging nearly 20 points per game and looks every bit like the force she was last year."

- Questions Why Seattle Signed, Then Started, Gabby Williams
Excerpt:
"The Storm solved a problem that they didn’t have by signing Williams. They got a speedy, lanky defender who can run the floor with the best of them. What the Storm were really missing was 3-point shooting."

- And Really Wonders Why Becky Hammon Is Playing Her Starters 30-plus Minutes in a Blowout.

Reaction Score
As is DT. Wonder if this is another history maker -two players seven Ts .... mandatory suspension.
The techs handed to the Mercury during the Vegas game moved their WNBA single-season league record to 32, more than double the three-way tie by Chicago, Dallas and Indiana for the league's second-most 15 this season.

In addition, the Mercury racking up technical fouls is stifling their offense.

Dah........

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I would imagine this is Vandersloot's last year, especially if they win the title. She really isn't anywhere the player she was, and New York needs a new backcourt player to be with Sabrina.
That could be. I still think it's beyond a long shot that Gabby would ever lead the league in assists.

Anyway the Lib might be okay in the back court if Fiebich sticks around. If Johannes comes back that would be a pretty 3 nice player rotation.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"The Storm solved a problem that they didn’t have by signing Williams. They got a speedy, lanky defender who can run the floor with the best of them. What the Storm were really missing was 3-point shooting."

That seems pretty weird that a team with Loyd, Diggins-Smith and Whitcomb would be lacking 3 point shooting. I looked up stats and all 3 are sub 30% this year. That is shocking. The team % is under 30. Yikes. Nneka is leading the way at 44%. Gabby shooting 11% so far behind the arc, that isn't helping.

Reaction Score
McBride/Williams have been fantastic all year and play better defense than Clark/Mitchell, but I don’t think there’s anyone has a more dynamic duo offensively than the Fever.
Good call. K-Mac and C-Williams have been outstanding. Clark/Mitchell is a pretty nice guard combo as well. Those two (Clark/Mitchell) are in sync and it is scary!

Reaction Score
That could be. I still think it's beyond a long shot that Gabby would ever lead the league in assists.

Anyway the Lib might be okay in the back court if Fiebich sticks around. If Johannes comes back that would be a pretty 3 nice player rotation.
After the way Johannes played in the playoffs last year, let her stay in France, defense is terrible, and she is more of a scorer, which they already have enough of.

Reaction Score
I could see Vandersloot stepping down. I would hate to see one of my favorite players hanging up the sneakers, but I would totally understand it in Vandersloot's case. To me, she has had a solid WNBA career.

Reaction Score
I could see Vandersloot stepping down. I would hate to see one of my favorite players hanging up the sneakers, but I would totally understand it in Vandersloot's case. To me, she has had a solid WNBA career.
Have a hard time seeing Vandersloot in this light considering what she went through off the court this season. It may not be the reason behind everything but gut feeling is that it's hard to judge her this season considering the situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw those calls from a similar perspective. People are reading way too much into this.
This is what's going to happen now, every foul on Clark is going to be scrutinized to the nth degree. Just like college.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Seattle got a much needed win. The Sun aren't exactly on a roll as the playoffs are approaching.

Meanwhile, the Mystics bench is tearing Dallas apart. 50 points combined.
You're right about that Mystic bench in the 90-86 win over Dallas.
  • Emily Engstler with a double-double: a career-high 19 pts. and 10 rebounds
  • Julie Vanloo and Shartori Walker-Kimbroigh with 11 each
  • Karlie Samuelson with 8
  • Jade Melbourne with 5

By contrast, the Wings bench had 13 points, 10 by Kalani Brown.

With expansion, who knows if some of these players will be chosen, but Engstler will/would look good for a number of teams, as would all the others.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is Vegas resting players? Young missed one game, back tonight. No Plum tonight. Doesn't matter, they are playing Chicago who I think is actively trying to avoid the playoffs. Only someone has to take them up on giving away that #8 seed.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hayes has had 2 good games in a row as a starter for the Aces. Another typically stellar game for A'ja. Gray w/ 13 pts/10 assists.

Sky have gotten no scoring from their pair of starting guards 2 games in a row. Banham just isn't a starting caliber player, I think that is well known by this point in her career. And yet, she is starting for the Sky.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Howard and Copper had a scoring duel, Mercury come out on top. Who wants that #8 playoff spot? I seem to jinx any team I mention has momentum, so I'll try not to do that again. 4 teams are in play for that 1 spot.

Reaction Score
Hayes has had 2 good games in a row as a starter for the Aces. Another typically stellar game for A'ja. Gray w/ 13 pts/10 assists.

Sky have gotten no scoring from their pair of starting guards 2 games in a row. Banham just isn't a starting caliber player, I think that is well known by this point in her career. And yet, she is starting for the Sky.

Not disagreeing but banham is hurt from what I read. She was questionable playing with a shoulder injury.

Reaction Score
While "some" are not fans of the million dollar coach (;)), gotta give him kudos in giving Celeste Taylor the start last night. Her perseverance this season is commendable and from post game comments I saw on Twitter, her team mates are big fans of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom