2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
TIL the Fever only have 1 road game left, at Washington to close the regular season. 6 game homestand starts tonight.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
7 teams have made the WNBA playoffs. I think all remaining 5 have a shot at the 8th spot, though Los Angeles is very unlikely and Dallas is almost as far back. Chicago and Atlanta are tied, with the Sky holding the tiebreaker. Every team has between 6 and 8 games (mostly 7) remaining.

Reaction Score
7 teams have made the WNBA playoffs. I think all remaining 5 have a shot at the 8th spot, though Los Angeles is very unlikely and Dallas is almost as far back. Chicago and Atlanta are tied, with the Sky holding the tiebreaker. Every team has between 6 and 8 games (mostly 7) remaining.
Mostly 7 games to go to determine the 2025 WNBA draft order and the odds of the first four picks.

LA, Washington, Atlanta (pick goes to Washington), Dallas and Chicago are in the running for the first four picks.

Reaction Score
While "some" are not fans of the million dollar coach (;)), gotta give him kudos in giving Celeste Taylor the start last night. Her perseverance this season is commendable and from post game comments I saw on Twitter, her team mates are big fans of her.
All current and aspiring coaches should be big fans of the million dollar coach. If his resume and current performance sets the standard for a million dollar annual salary then competent coaches and those coaches with above 500 records would certainly be entitled to a million dollars plus one.

And then what about outstanding coaches they might earn a salary of a million dollars plus two.

We see you Noelle Quinn. And LT in Dallas who certainly has committed to the women's game over the past 20 years and has her team winging in the right direction. And how about that younger coach in Indianapolis. Every single coach in the w is a big fan of the Nate Meister, or more specifically the salary that he receives. I'm not certain that he earns his salary but he certainly does cash those checks.

I understand the million dollar coach will be conducting seminars on the technical foul it's use and how to support it.

For those who admire mediocrity Celeste Taylor is certainly a feel-good story. As a starter in 33 minutes in addition to her five turnovers and one for six shooting (0-3 from three land) Taylor embraced the million dollar coach's defensive philosophy as she joined with her mates in holding Ryan Howard to 31 points. She had twice as many personal fouls as assists and were it not for Cloud's suspension and the inept roster management would have not had more than her typical half dozen minutes on the court. The closest comp I could find for Celeste was the Sun's Harris. Harris in 32 minutes was also one for six although she did have seven assists to offset her 3 fouls. Opposing guards Skylar Diggins and Jewel Lloyd both had less than 20 points on a combined 12-30 shooting. Objectively Taylor had the worst performance of any starting guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nate Tibbet'ts agent should be enshrined in the Bobby Bonilla Sports Agent Hall of Fame.

The Mercury head coach earns

Twice the salary of SB in New York

$300,000 more than Cheryl Reeves

And more than Becky Hammon

For this league leading coaching salary Merc fans have received

1. A team that set the record for technical fouls

2. A team that's at .500

3. In addition to being number one in the w in technical fouls the Mercury are 10th in rebounding and 11th in assists.

All this for only a million dollars! I do wonder how Minnesota was able to sign a coach like Cheryl Reeves for $700,000....... Inquiring minds want to know.

ESPN's Voepel. states the obvious

"The Mercury could have made a statement last week but didn't. Instead, they lost three games at home: to New York, Minnesota and Las Vegas. Phoenix has stockpiled enough victories that the playoffs seem nearly certain, but Mercury are just not playing well now."

Actually the Mercury did make a statement last week that just like Celeste Taylor they're mediocre, a mediocre team led by a mediocre (and overpaid) coach that lacks both professionalism and more importantly a culture of accountability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're right about that Mystic bench in the 90-86 win over Dallas.
  • Emily Engstler with a double-double: a career-high 19 pts. and 10 rebounds
  • Julie Vanloo and Shartori Walker-Kimbroigh with 11 each
  • Karlie Samuelson with 8
  • Jade Melbourne with 5

By contrast, the Wings bench had 13 points, 10 by Kalani Brown.

With expansion, who knows if some of these players will be chosen, but Engstler will/would look good for a number of teams, as would all the others.
I have been a huge fan of Emily Engstler's since Day One! Way to go, Emily!! I wish that Minnesota would have figured out a way to hold on to her.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LA is so hard to figure. They've had a bad season by every measurable metric. But they've beaten New York and Las Vegas, seem to play the Aces tough every game. Indiana just can't shake them tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Clark needed 1 more rebound for a triple double, got it inside 10 seconds left. 24/10/10. Boston with her biggest offensive output in a while, 24 pts/14 reb. Like I said, LA wouldn't go away but Indiana held on.

Reaction Score
The Fever are legitimately playing like a top-4 team in the league right now. At this point I won’t be at all surprised if they make it into the semis of the playoffs. If they beat the Lynx on Friday I’ll be totally sold.

Next week’s homestand with Vegas should be very interesting. I don’t see the Aces getting out of Indiana 2-0.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Dan Patrick has reached out to Geno for a follow-up interview. Fever have transformed into one of the more entertaining products in sports right now, helps that they're on some type of national platform every night but I can't miss a game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nate Tibbet'ts agent should be enshrined in the Bobby Bonilla Sports Agent Hall of Fame.

The Mercury head coach earns

Twice the salary of SB in New York

$300,000 more than Cheryl Reeves

And more than Becky Hammon

For this league leading coaching salary Merc fans have received

1. A team that set the record for technical fouls

2. A team that's at .500

3. In addition to being number one in the w in technical fouls the Mercury are 10th in rebounding and 11th in assists.

All this for only a million dollars! I do wonder how Minnesota was able to sign a coach like Cheryl Reeves for $700,000....... Inquiring minds want to know.

ESPN's Voepel. states the obvious

"The Mercury could have made a statement last week but didn't. Instead, they lost three games at home: to New York, Minnesota and Las Vegas. Phoenix has stockpiled enough victories that the playoffs seem nearly certain, but Mercury are just not playing well now."

Actually the Mercury did make a statement last week that just like Celeste Taylor they're mediocre, a mediocre team led by a mediocre (and overpaid) coach that lacks both professionalism and more importantly a culture of accountability.
To me the important thing is that he makes the salary cap. How many coaches in other sports make as much as the whole team?

Reaction Score
Hats off to Indiana Fever. 5 game winning streak. Last 10 games, 8-2. They join New York and Minnesota with that same mark over the last 10 games. They are playing some pretty solid basketball. Hopefully my Minnesota squad shows up and Friday and handle business against Indiana.

Reaction Score
All current and aspiring coaches should be big fans of the million dollar coach. If his resume and current performance sets the standard for a million dollar annual salary then competent coaches and those coaches with above 500 records would certainly be entitled to a million dollars plus one.

And then what about outstanding coaches they might earn a salary of a million dollars plus two.

We see you Noelle Quinn. And LT in Dallas who certainly has committed to the women's game over the past 20 years and has her team winging in the right direction. And how about that younger coach in Indianapolis. Every single coach in the w is a big fan of the Nate Meister, or more specifically the salary that he receives. I'm not certain that he earns his salary but he certainly does cash those checks.

I understand the million dollar coach will be conducting seminars on the technical foul it's use and how to support it.

For those who admire mediocrity Celeste Taylor is certainly a feel-good story. As a starter in 33 minutes in addition to her five turnovers and one for six shooting (0-3 from three land) Taylor embraced the million dollar coach's defensive philosophy as she joined with her mates in holding Ryan Howard to 31 points. She had twice as many personal fouls as assists and were it not for Cloud's suspension and the inept roster management would have not had more than her typical half dozen minutes on the court. The closest comp I could find for Celeste was the Sun's Harris. Harris in 32 minutes was also one for six although she did have seven assists to offset her 3 fouls. Opposing guards Skylar Diggins and Jewel Lloyd both had less than 20 points on a combined 12-30 shooting. Objectively Taylor had the worst performance of any starting guard.
Oye. Sure her numbers weren't great but she's far from mediocre. Taylor needs an opportunity to be with a team for longer than a 7 day contract. People thought the same of Carleton when she was cut by the Sun and she found success with the Lynx, having her best season. Engstler has bounced around for the last 3 seasons and looks to be gaining traction this season. That doesn't take away from the fact she's trying the make the best of her opportunities which is what I wanted to give her credit for.

Reaction Score
Oye. Sure her numbers weren't great but she's far from mediocre. Taylor needs an opportunity to be with a team for longer than a 7 day contract. People thought the same of Carleton when she was cut by the Sun and she found success with the Lynx, having her best season. Engstler has bounced around for the last 3 seasons and looks to be gaining traction this season. That doesn't take away from the fact she's trying the make the best of her opportunities which is what I wanted to give her credit for.
Hum ...... I'm trying to think of a guard currently in the w who's worse than Taylor. Help me out here. By definition if you're the worst at your job mediocre might well be a kind description.

I compared Taylor's game to that of Harris. Which one would you take? More to the point which guard would a general manager take. That might be the process I'd use to determine how far below average Taylor is as a guard in the current W. Which guard currently on a W roster would a competent general manager take Taylor over? The only guard I can think of I would take over Taylor is Osborne also on the Mercury roster and she's injured.

There may very well be a reason she's bounced around so much. There are a plethora of outstanding guards who are not playing in the league.

Reaction Score
Seattle got a much needed win. The Sun aren't exactly on a roll as the playoffs are approaching.

Meanwhile, the Mystics bench is tearing Dallas apart. 50 points combined.
It's useful to keep in mind that Dallas has the worst scoring defense in the league giving up 90 point a game. So before going overboard with the Mystics and their bench remember that everybody scores a lot in tearing Dallas apart .

Reaction Score
To me the important thing is that he makes the salary cap. How many coaches in other sports make as much as the whole team?
And........ I'm confident Kristi Toliver could do better than 500 at 1/3 the salary that the Nate Meister is pulling down.

Reaction Score
I have been a huge fan of Emily Engstler's since Day One! Way to go, Emily!! I wish that Minnesota would have figured out a way to hold on to her.
Engstler should be licking her chops about the game this evening at Footprint arena. Against the lackadaisical Mercury defense she could have career numbers.

In fact look for that vaunted bench offense to tear apart Phoenix.

Cloud's back in the lineup so wondering at the number of t's to Mercury will accumulate tonight. 40 for the season is in sight, if not in reach

Reaction Score
Hum ...... I'm trying to think of a guard currently in the w who's worse than Taylor. Help me out here. By definition if you're the worst at your job mediocre might well be a kind description.

I compared Taylor's game to that of Harris. Which one would you take? More to the point which guard would a general manager take. That might be the process I'd use to determine how far below average Taylor is as a guard in the current W. Which guard currently on a W roster would a competent general manager take Taylor over? The only guard I can think of I would take over Taylor is Osborne also on the Mercury roster and she's injured.

There may very well be a reason she's bounced around so much. There are a plethora of outstanding guards who are not playing in the league.
She's a rookie in a league that has a limited number of spots. It's a common thing due to the situation in the WNBA unfortunately. Like the examples of Carleton and Engstler, were they mediocre when they were cut by their respective teams in their first and second years respectively? I think they were unfortunate cuts by their teams due to strategy and long term planning.

And considering the drafting history of Indiana in recent years, it wasn't the best situation for her from the start. I'm not rushing to judgement and assuming she's mediocre while she's doing what she can go stick with a team this season. Hopefully things work out for her and she makes the best of her current situation.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I hope if anything this pushes the league and owners to recognize that coaches in the WNBA should absolutely have relevant coaching experience or league experience. Plucking an NBA assistant with zero experience coaching in the WNBA, zero experience coaching women in general, and minimal head coaching experience should not be gifted a WNBA head coaching job, let alone one where youre the highest paid coach in the league. I applaud the Mercury owners for investing a lot in their team, but pick a better coach who is actually qualified.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's useful to keep in mind that Dallas has the worst scoring defense in the league giving up 90 point a game. So before going overboard with the Mystics and their bench remember that everybody scores a lot in tearing Dallas apart .
50 points from the bench is a lot, I don't care who you are playing. Washington's starters scored 40.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I hope if anything this pushes the league and owners to recognize that coaches in the WNBA should absolutely have relevant coaching experience or league experience. Plucking an NBA assistant with zero experience coaching in the WNBA, zero experience coaching women in general, and minimal head coaching experience should not be gifted a WNBA head coaching job, let alone one where youre the highest paid coach in the league. I applaud the Mercury owners for investing a lot in their team, but pick a better coach who is actually qualified.
The bolded portion of your post is an amazingly accurate description of Mike Thibault when the Sun hired him in 2003. That worked out OK, and he has done pretty well in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
The bolded portion of your post is an amazingly accurate description of Mike Thibault when the Sun hired him in 2003. That worked out OK, and he has done pretty well in the WNBA.
Over the 21 years since, a number of very, very talented female coaches have developed.

To misquote Loophole Lloyd Bentson to Nate Tibbetts- I knew Mike Thibault, I coached with Mike Thibault, you Nate are no Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom