2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Reaction Score
Maybe! But Avdija's already a high-level starter, and I think Coulibaly & Clingan will be. Kispert is a very good movement shooter who can play 20-25 mpg on all but the very best teams.

I'd take that + a high 2025 lottery pick, multiple incoming future firsts and whatever they get for Kuzma this summer. They'd still lack a star (unless they get one with that 2025 pick), but they'd have defense, balance and a clear direction. I'd take that over a lot of teams in the league, including a few that actually made the postseason.

I mean, in theory there's a world where this is their starting 5 for 25/26:

PG: Traore
SG: Coulibaly
SF: Kispert
PF: Avdija
C: Clingan

That's not a playoff team, but it's a fun, young team with a ton of upside. And I'd much rather see Clingan as a part of that than whatever nonsense is happening in Portland or Charlotte.
I like Deni a lot, and he really improved down the stretch this season, but I wouldn’t call him a high level starter just yet.

Coulibaly has a lot of potential but I want to see the shot continue to develop. If they could draft DC and get Flagg next year, that would be a great start.

Reaction Score
I like Deni a lot, and he really improved down the stretch this season, but I wouldn’t call him a high level starter just yet.

Coulibaly has a lot of potential but I want to see the shot continue to develop. If they could draft DC and get Flagg next year, that would be a great start.
Deni put up 15/7/4 on 51/37/74 splits with good underlying metrics on both sides of the ball for an otherwise catastrophic team. That's a high-level starter for sure.

Coulibaly does need to keep improving but he put up 44/35/70 shooting splits in the league as a 19-year-old. There is virtually zero history of failure for players who post those splits at that age.

I'd love to see Clingan join those two. Though obviously even better would be the fit in Memphis.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Given the injury history with Portland's centers I think I'd puke if Clingan lands there.

Honestly hoping he goes 2nd to Washington. Could make a nice core with Avdija, Kispert & Coulibaly, and they'd still stink badly enough to be in the running for No. 1 next year, too.

Counter argument: Washington is one of the worst franchises in sports and the Blazers have a decent core.

Reaction Score
Counter argument: Washington is one of the worst franchises in sports and the Blazers have a decent core.
Do they? Ayton is wildly overpaid; Brogdon, Simons, Grant & Williams are all likely to be traded this summer; Scoot, Sharpe & Murray all shot worse than 40% from the floor last season.

I also think their front office just kinda stinks. Washington's is unproven, but the new GM came from OKC, and he's following the OKC plan so far with the Wizards.

Neither team's in a great spot right now, obviously, but I think any advantage Portland has is b/c they have better veterans -- but most of those guys absolutely should not be on the roster come opening day.

So on balance, I'd take Washington.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Do they? Ayton is wildly overpaid; Brogdon, Simons, Grant & Williams are all likely to be traded this summer; Scoot, Sharpe & Murray all shot worse than 40% from the floor last season.

I also think their front office just kinda stinks. Washington's is unproven, but the new GM came from OKC, and he's following the OKC plan so far with the Wizards.

Neither team's in a great spot right now, obviously, but I think any advantage Portland has is b/c they have better veterans -- but most of those guys absolutely should not be on the roster come opening day.

Very fair - you look at the history of injuries to Portland big men, I do the same with Washington…they’ve had some awful drafts and roster building for about 30 years, and I see Scoot and Sharpe and some pieces with high end talent in Portland.

Plus I like the idea of him being a Walton reincarnation and I like Portland’s uniform and vibe.

But I actually think Memphis and ATL getting involved would be better for him. I just hope he doesn’t go to a moribund franchise and Washington is as blah as it gets.

My biggest “draft ” situation is Castle and Sheppard both going to SA and Clingan going to Memphis.

Reaction Score
Latest Sam Vecenie mock draft that was posted today to The Athletic has Castle #4, Clingan #7, Spencer #36, and Newton #50. I know Vecenie loves Spencer but that's the highest I've seen him mocked by anyone.

Reaction Score

Ayton is wildly overpaid
The new NBA TV deals are going to increase 2.75X the prior deals. Ayton's salary is a rounding error. , even Lillard's hilarious supermax deal is gonna look cheap in a couple years.

That is unless viewership completely collapses which is not out of the question IMO; the NBA is becoming more and more like the WWE.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Castle currently #3 in both mock drafts I looked at today and Clingan was 7 and 8.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Given the injury history with Portland's centers I think I'd puke if Clingan lands there.

Honestly hoping he goes 2nd to Washington. Could make a nice core with Avdija, Kispert & Coulibaly, and they'd still stink badly enough to be in the running for No. 1 next year, too.
Funny, I'm on a Portland site where many Portland fans have similar misgivings and want nothing to do with DC - PTSD after the history with Walton, Bowie, Oden and others.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Latest Sam Vecenie mock draft that was posted today to The Athletic has Castle #4, Clingan #7, Spencer #36, and Newton #50. I know Vecenie loves Spencer but that's the highest I've seen him mocked by anyone.
I’d assume Spencer made a great impression at his Pacers workout.

Reaction Score

This guys has Castle to Charlotte and Clingan going 13th

Reaction Score

Yeah, that guy is an imbecile

Reaction Score

No Ceilings has Clingan at 2 to the Wizards, Castle at 6 to the Hornets.
Newton and Cam undrafted.

He has Hurley drafting Jared Mccain at 17 and Bronny at 56 :)

Reaction Score
latest ESPN big board update, hopefully Castle goes where he wants to go

3. Donovan Clingan | C | UConn

7-3 | Age: 20.2 | Previously ranked: 3

Clingan is a top-three prospect who might experience a minor drop on draft night because teams that are in the Nos. 3-6 range already have starting centers in place. He's in conversation at No. 1 after working out in Atlanta (which is exploring trade-down scenarios). He is also spending time in Washington, which has the No. 2 pick. Clingan isn't expected to drop past the Portland Trail Blazers at No. 7, whom he just visited for a private workout as well. He is being discussed among teams as a possible target for the likes of Chicago, Memphis, Oklahoma City or Utah, who all might explore trading up for a player in his mold.

Clingan's appeal is evident at 7-foot-3 with a 7-7 wingspan and 9-7 standing reach, and he's viewed by many as the draft's most impactful defensive prospect with the timing he shows as a rim-protector and the improvement he has made guarding the pick-and-roll. His youth, productivity, touch and instincts on both ends of the court give him a high floor and make him a sleeper candidate to hear his name called at No. 1. -- Givony

6. Stephon Castle | PG/SG | UConn

6-7 | Age: 19.5 | Previously ranked: 6

It has been difficult for NBA teams to schedule Castle on the workout circuit, so it remains to be seen exactly where that will land him on draft night. Teams on his trail will be closely monitoring whether he decides to open up his availability in the coming weeks. He has been most strongly connected to San Antonio, but if the Spurs go a different direction with their two first-round picks, there will be suitors elsewhere in the top 10, with a potentially strong fit in the Utah Jazz.
There's quite a bit of interest in Castle's versatility, perimeter defense and playmaking potential long-term. There are also some questions about the state of his jump shot, and to a lesser extent, whether he can play point guard in a full-time capacity. His role in UConn's title run has certainly helped bolster his draft stock to this point. -- Woo

Reaction Score
Funny, I'm on a Portland site where many Portland fans have similar misgivings and want nothing to do with DC - PTSD after the history with Walton, Bowie, Oden and others.
Clingan works out for Portland today

Reaction Score

Clingan 13? That guy is on crack. No way he drops past #7.

Reaction Score
Center busts seem to get remembered the most. Michael Olowokandi, kwame, darko, oden, Thabeet…fans are usually terrified of their teams drafting centers early in the lottery. But the truth is that there is just as many busts that are guards and forwards too

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Clingan works out for Portland today
I'd love to see him in Portland. Ayton puts up good but largely empty stats and rivals Charmin on D.

DC should, as was the case at UConn, be the polar opposite where his stats didn't necessarily reflect his impact on the game.

Reaction Score
Newton posted he had his 8th workout today, with the TWolves. Seeing how many workouts he's had since the May 29 deadline passed(doesn't apply to him) and how Alex was only able to get 2 in, it doesn't seem as if that deadline is beneficial to early entrants and guys on the fence about staying in the draft.

Reaction Score
Newton posted he had his 8th workout today, with the TWolves. Seeing how many workouts he's had since the May 29 deadline passed(doesn't apply to him) and how Alex was only able to get 2 in, it doesn't seem as if that deadline is beneficial to early entrants and guys on the fence about staying in the draft.
The NBA withdrawal date hasn't even happened yet. NCAA set their own date earlier to benefit coaches at the expense of players.

But guys speak to a lot of teams at the combine, so it's really fine.

Reaction Score
The NBA withdrawal date hasn't even happened yet. NCAA set their own date earlier to benefit coaches at the expense of players.

But guys speak to a lot of teams at the combine, so it's really fine.
What is the NBA withdrawal date and how does it impact college players? Combine interviews help but the extra team organized workouts are also necessary for the guys who need to make an impression and boost their stock.

Reaction Score
What is the NBA withdrawal date and how does it impact college players? Combine interviews help but the extra team organized workouts are also necessary for the guys who need to make an impression and boost their stock.
June 16th. It doesn't really impact college players (only internationals and pros), because the NCAA deadline to retain eligibility already passed. Just saying that it's the NCAA and its coaches who lobbied for a different NCAA-specific deadline's fault that the players don't get to have further evaluation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom