2024-2025 Roster Breakdown.. Swipe | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024-2025 Roster Breakdown.. Swipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bear in mind that the boneyard is a holy place. And in this temple to the basketball gods, Paige reigns supreme.

But as for your jest, I think it’s fair to describe Azzi Caroline and Aubrey as superstars. Each one can change a game merely by entering it. Yeah yeah, [some noise about unrealized potential, yada yada yada] anyone can disagree. But to what end? What on earth could one hope to accomplish by caviling about terms of praise? It’s not like we’re aiming to have anyone knighted, or sainted… or are we?
Jest? I thought you were the one joking. 1) If you're really describing them as superstars like Bueckers, you're probably in a group of one. 2) As for changing the game, that's what good complimentary, 6th man players do. Superstars are usually already in the game and rarely come out of close ones. Fudd is the only one with that potential and through no fault of her own is still trying to approach that level.

Reaction Score
I hope to see a 100% healthy and capable Azzi Fudd; for all 36 games next season! She has NPOY potential, but nobody even mentions her due to her previous injuries.
I am hoping for 39 wins (in the games that count for the season), ZERO losses with all of the UConn women healthy for the entire year from the moment they step on the court for the pre-season scrimmage. [Several needing a rapid recovery in the next three months to achieve that...] The UConn women would have had 40 games if they had made the finals last year....

Is there a rule change that I missed that cut their schedule to 36 games?!?

Reaction Score
Also, just let me get this out there right now. I don’t care if they take a few losses early on. All that matters is how they’re playing in April. Geno is going to have to take some chances to build a championship team out of 4 first year players and 4 second years, and 3 superstars who may not all return before the end of December. Come November, it’s could be Paige and Kaitlyn riding herd on a very young team. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it?

And whatever happens, Geno will be the winningest basketball coach in human history long before April. Maybe before the end of December.
Geno just needs four more wins to overtake & pass Van deveer for the WINNINGEST for all time...

Should be in November, or the first game in December depending on the schedulers.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Try reading the ESPN writeups for their top 25. (May 6) Focus on the top 3. (The bolding is mine) I admit to being a biased UConn fan.

Women's Way-Too-Early Top 25: Transfers, coaching changes shake up rankings

SCar:

A reasonable analysis.

USC:

Notice that the E8 game isn't mentioned. The term "super team" isn't used but declaring that Watkins and the 2 transfers are the best threesome is very much what they said about Reese, Morrow and Van Lith last season. ESPN makes them No 2. Is this balanced journalism or is it hype to get the west coast fans clicking? I think this USC team has the most to prove of any of the top 4 teams.

UConn:

Two thirds of the UConn blurb is another rehash of the 2024 injuries. If Bueckers plays to her 2024 level? Bueckers has played at that level for her entire UConn career but ESPN says she still needs to prove herself to be great? Bueckers is 3 for 3 getting her team to a final four. She was NPOY as a freshman. Why can't ESPN give her the same "assumed greatness" they give every other star, many of whom have rather meager resumes compared to Bueckers?

Again, I'm reading with blue-tinted glasses but it seems to me that when analyzing wcbb teams ESPN gives every team but one an upbeat "glass half full" write up while they focus on what has and could go wrong for UConn.

Read the NDame writeup. No doubts as to whether MIles will the same player after her ACL.

I’m not sure what happened here with Alydar’s name above my comment! Sorry if I messed up somehow!

With very few exceptions any time there is a mention of UConn in an ESPN story, the author will find a way to throw some form of shade at the program! Whether it is, as mentioned above, an inference that Paige will have to prove herself again, doubting that UConn players can recover to their former level of play, to the patently ridiculous contention that USC’s recruiting class is better than UConn’s, to things like ranking UConn below USC, a team we beat in spite of having an entire starting five (for most teams) sitting on the bench, to the required “they have not won a title since 2016”, one can always count on some sort of dig at UConn’s expense!
One of the things I am most looking forward to next season is imagining the discomfort/rage/reluctance on the part of ESPN writers/commentators as they are forced to acknowledge UConn’s run to the title! No doubt they will still find something negative to point out, but somehow, if we have that title, I have an idea I just won’t care! Here’s to ESPN and all the doubters! Bring it! Just let us be healthy! That’s all I ask. If that happens, we’ll just see who is still standing next April!

Reaction Score
Jest? I thought you were the one joking. 1) If you're really describing them as superstars like Bueckers, you're probably in a group of one. 2) As for changing the game, that's what good complimentary, 6th man players do. Superstars are usually already in the game and rarely come out of close ones. Fudd is the only one with that potential and through no fault of her own is still trying to approach that level.
Tsk tsk tsk. How soon we forget what Caroline looked like before the injuries took their toll.

Now I can’t believe you’re arguing about the meaning of words like superstar. But I won’t stop you. It might even be fun. I chuckle when I think of Aubrey in the Baylor game who teamed up with Azzi to wipe them out in the second half. I think Nikki Collen said about Aubrey in a postgame interview, “she was everywhere grabbing every rebound. She might as well have been wearing a cape.”

Reaction Score
Bear in mind that the boneyard is a holy place. And in this temple to the basketball gods, Paige reigns supreme.

... I think it’s fair to describe Azzi, Caroline, and Aubrey as superstars. Each one can change a game merely by entering it. Yeah yeah, [some noise about unrealized potential, yada yada yada] anyone can disagree. But to what end? What on earth could one hope to accomplish by caviling about terms of praise? It’s not like we’re aiming to have anyone knighted, or sainted… or are we?
Couldn't agree more and each has proven it. Perhaps to label any of the three mentioned above in bold as "superstars" is a bit over-the-top, but each has proven several times that they can put this team on their back and wins games. That's the definition of a superstar. Can anyone imagine had it not been for their unfortunate injuries (and that of course includes Paige) what this team could have (and would have) accomplished over the past few years? Seriously, the type of talent each of these players has within them is scary good. If the injuries are behind us (hopefully) this team of 14 talented deep could easily go undefeated.

Reaction Score
My hopes for this season, like every season, is that every player stays healthy and plays to the absolute best of their ability — especially by the time March rolls around — so that we are spoiled for choice.

How I would love (with this current UConn team) to be like SCar the last two seasons where they could just consistently swap players in and out and continue to play at the same high level.
maple- - I'm with you 100%!
Each season the only wish I have in preseason is for our girls to be injury/illness free for the season and let the chips fall where they may, knowing with the tremendous talent and great coaching staff, all things will be possible!

Reaction Score
I’m probably going to be chewed up and spit out for this, but I think Uconn is going to miss both Nika and Aliyah a lot more than most posters on this thread seem to think. Nika was a defensive stalwart and I’m concerned about how her level of defensive energy and intensity will be replaced. She played point with a lot better control than KK has exhibited thus far; KK will have to cut down on silly drives into the defensive and out of control play to be effective.

I know people think that Jana will be the solution in the post, but good post play takes time and experience. I’ll be pleased if I’m wrong, but I’m expecting the early going to be a bit bumpy.

Reaction Score
I’m probably going to be chewed up and spit out for this, but I think Uconn is going to miss both Nika and Aliyah a lot more than most posters on this thread seem to think. Nika was a defensive stalwart and I’m concerned about how her level of defensive energy and intensity will be replaced. She played point with a lot better control than KK has exhibited thus far; KK will have to cut down on silly drives into the defensive and out of control play to be effective.

I know people think that Jana will be the solution in the post, but good post play takes time and experience. I’ll be pleased if I’m wrong, but I’m expecting the early going to be a bit bumpy.
I think you’re right on both counts, and Geno may agree with you too. That’s why he got Kaitlyn — to give KK a little more time to grow into the role. And Jana will definitely take some time. I hope she finds her mojo by the end of February, but there’s no guarantee. The good sign is she has a fierce spirit. Avoiding foul trouble is the main hurdle I think she’ll need to work on. And I suspect Geno will rely on small ball for stretches. He’s absolutely got the personnel to make that effective.

These uncertainties, among others, are what will make this the most exciting season in recent years. There’s a youth movement brewing in Storrs and I can’t wait to see it.

Reaction Score

Of course Nika and Aaliyah will be missed, how much will depend on how many of our injured "stars" (Azzi, Caroline & Aubrey) return to the lineup at close to 100%. And, when they are able to do so?

I'm always skeptical of how well newcomers (and that includes Jana) will actually be able to play at this level. However, if she and Sarah (along with Aubrey, an improved Ice, and perhaps Ayanna) are ready close to the get go, then I think the loss will be minimal. Paige and Kaitlyn (if she is in the starting lineup as I suspect), will be steadying influences if and when needed.

KK's sometimes out of control drives to the basket didn't bother me much. She needed to gain that experience and she had success on many of them. I look for her to be much improved this season. Ashlynn appears to be a young women with one thing on her mind ... continuing to strive towards being the very best she can be. I will be very surprised if her defensive skills aren't greatly improved.

JLW

Reaction Score
Who shows up healthy and can stay healthy will play into the rotation. Hopefully they don’t start dropping as soon as preseason starts. If they stay healthy they could go 8-10 deep. There are no no mop up players on the team. It’s going to be fn to watch!

Reaction Score

Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I do agree with you that we will miss Nika and Aliyah's production to the team. I I do hope that KK is working on her craft over the summer months. She has the potential to be really awesome. The addition of Chen will help a lot as well. We shall see what develops.

Reaction Score

I think this is true about Aaliyah, especially defensively we will miss her immensely.

With Nika though, I thought her defense this year was inconsistent. She definitely picked it up during the tourney but I actually think her perimeter 1v1 defense was a weak point for us for much of the season. The Texas game was a true disaster. I also think a lot of her PG responsibilities with go to Paige and Kaitlin, not KK. Hopefully mostly Paige, who I think would be an improvement over Nika at the PG position and allow Chen to be more of a scoring 2 guard, which I think might suit her game better as well.

Reaction Score

I believe it will be bumpy early on with some wins closer than one would expect but "we have Paige & they don't" along with a better & healthier (God willing) cast of heroes {may be different heroes each game}. I have grown to expect the "next one up" will be solid and the rest of the starters to pick up their game in the last 4 minutes of the game.

Even if foul trouble rears its ugly head early on in the games, I believe the bench is deep enough and is a new trend starting this year.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score

The "hole to fill" would be a lot deeper if those two had stayed and Bueckers had left. And I'm not criticizing Muhl or Edwards. The three seniors all were solid last season. Bueckers is just special.

Besides, they lost 2 starters and picked up five who all have the potential to start.

Reaction Score
I think this is true about Aaliyah, especially defensively we will miss her immensely.

With Nika though, I thought her defense this year was inconsistent. She definitely picked it up during the tourney but I actually think her perimeter 1v1 defense was a weak point for us for much of the season. The Texas game was a true disaster. I also think a lot of her PG responsibilities with go to Paige and Kaitlin, not KK. Hopefully mostly Paige, who I think would be an improvement over Nika at the PG position and allow Chen to be more of a scoring 2 guard, which I think might suit her game better as well.
I disagree with nearly all of this. It could be how you are stating this maybe we are in agreement on some things.

I thought a strength from Nika was her consistency on Defense once the team settled. No basketball player is perfect. Every once in a while a great defender is going to get torched. Other times it' can also be a team breakdown,

Second, IMO KK's strength is her pg abilities.

Third, Page was a pg last year, but also a sg but also a sf but also a "pf." She was a "G "point-forward" etc. Heck, Larry Bird was a "point-Forward" yet for example one year Denis Johnson led the team in assists. She should be both a big time scorer, the #1 player, and big assists maker even though there could be a counterpart "Dennis Johnson."

Fourth, that leads to there is no way I want to highlight Paige passing the ball Kaitlin. I want Kaitlin passing the ball to Paige to score more than the other way around. Why would UCONN want such an elite efficient scorer for Paige to give the ball up to Kaitlin rather than the other way. While Paige can't hog the ball, but if its to focus on her giving up the ball to other shooters much less efficient to her with he hopes they will score, imo that is a wrong strategy. A team should always drive to have their most efficient scorers t shoot the ball more than less efficient scorers.

Fifth, imo what will make Chen's game better is if she is more of a passer and she takes less shots but is much more efficient.

Reaction Score
I disagree with nearly all of this. It could be how you are stating this maybe we are in agreement on some things.

I thought a strength from Nika was her consistency on Defense once the team settled. No basketball player is perfect. Every once in a while a great defender is going to get torched. Other times it' can also be a team breakdown,

Second, IMO KK's strength is her pg abilities.

Third, Page was a pg last year, but also a sg but also a sf but also a "pf." She was a "G "point-forward" etc. Heck, Larry Bird was a "point-Forward" yet for example one year Denis Johnson led the team in assists. She should be both a big time scorer, the #1 player, and big assists maker even though there could be a counterpart "Dennis Johnson."

Fourth, that leads to there is no way I want to highlight Paige passing the ball Kaitlin. I want Kaitlin passing the ball to Paige to score more than the other way around. Why would UCONN want such an elite efficient scorer for Paige to give the ball up to Kaitlin rather than the other way. While Paige can't hog the ball, but if its to focus on her giving up the ball to other shooters much less efficient to her with he hopes they will score, imo that is a wrong strategy. A team should always drive to have their most efficient scorers t shoot the ball more than less efficient scorers.

Fifth, imo what will make Chen's game better is if she is more of a passer and she takes less shots but is much more efficient.
Well in regards to Nika, specifically her perimeter on ball defense was lacking this year, not necessarily her defense over all. At times I thought she might be have been suffering with an injury to a hamstring or qual because her lateral movement seemed so slow. She was great with ball denial and rotations and general defensive IQ but struggled keeping her man in front of her without fouling. She seemed to focus more once we hit March but I was concerned going into the tournament because of it.

In regards to KK she is definitely a PG, no question about it. I just think we will be better if she is the backup PG versus the starting PG.

In regards to Paige vs KC, I think we are better team when Paige is aggressive. I think Paige is a lot more aggressive when the ball is in her hands and she is the point guard. Therefore, I want Paige to be PG so she is at her best and therefore the team is at their best. We need Paige to be our best playmaker this year imo if we are to reach our ceiling, that doesn't mean Paige takes no shots but she needs to be the one deciding whether she is the one taking the shot or someone else is take the shot on a possession not deferring to Kaitlyn like she did Nika, imo. Just because she is the PG, doesn't mean she won't take the most shots. And again, I think Kaitlyn is better at creating her own shot and that is a skill sorely lacking on this team so lets let her do what she does best and not be bogged down by creating shots for others when Paige is already the best player on the team in doing that.

Reaction Score
Well in regards to Nika, specifically her perimeter on ball defense was lacking this year, not necessarily her defense over all. At times I thought she might be have been suffering with an injury to a hamstring or qual because her lateral movement seemed so slow. She was great with ball denial and rotations and general defensive IQ but struggled keeping her man in front of her without fouling. She seemed to focus more once we hit March but I was concerned going into the tournament because of it.

In regards to KK she is definitely a PG, no question about it. I just think we will be better if she is the backup PG versus the starting PG.

In regards to Paige vs KC, I think we are better team when Paige is aggressive. I think Paige is a lot more aggressive when the ball is in her hands and she is the point guard. Therefore, I want Paige to be PG so she is at her best and therefore the team is at their best. We need Paige to be our best playmaker this year imo if we are to reach our ceiling, that doesn't mean Paige takes no shots but she needs to be the one deciding whether she is the one taking the shot or someone else is take the shot on a possession not deferring to Kaitlyn like she did Nika, imo. Just because she is the PG, doesn't mean she won't take the most shots. And again, I think Kaitlyn is better at creating her own shot and that is a skill sorely lacking on this team so lets let her do what she does best and not be bogged down by creating shots for others when Paige is already the best player on the team in doing that.
IMO Nika’s defense wasn’t lacking. IMO it was as strong as it ever was. Her lateral movement was as good as it ever was.

In regard to Paige I believe UCONN is a lot better when she is aggressive shooting the ball. There is too much separation between her and the other perimeter player’s not named Azzi for her to be more focused as a passing pg rather than a scoring point-forward that doesn’t always have to shoot. Paige was our best playmaker last year as a point-forward which she could easily do again this year. As far as “deciding who takes shots” UCONN is not like Iowa – a one-player team. Geno’s Offense is super when it’s run right when healthy and it’s why player’s like Paige and Azzi come because it is so focused on team player rather than one-player-play. And because she is a point-forward she will often make key decisions.

And I disagree with “the sorely lacking.” comment about one-on-one play. What was “sorely lacking” was the number of players on the bench dressed in street clothes. Iowa could only win in seconds vs a team that had half it’s player’s missing. And to add to this UCONN brings in Sarah (and maybe Jana) are potential offensive juggernauts to a certain degree. More than likely at least one of the 2 will be much more efficient vs Kaitlin going one-on-one in which the 3 player combo would be far superior than having a less efficient scorer takes shots away from them by going too much one-on-one. There would be no reason to have her focus on one-on-one when the team has so much amazing talent between Paige, Azzi and the youngsters aforementioned. This team is built to be an efficient offensive beast by not focusing on one-on-one.

The focus should be for limted one-on-one and morre expsoing other teams through mostly ball movement and giving the more efficient superstars as many shots as they can within reason but still focused on them. Then the more the Defense reacts to this, then it opens up everything for the other players. Which in turn makes the other players "better."

Reaction Score
IMO Nika’s defense wasn’t lacking. IMO it was as strong as it ever was. Her lateral movement was as good as it ever was.

In regard to Paige I believe UCONN is a lot better when she is aggressive shooting the ball. There is too much separation between her and the other perimeter player’s not named Azzi for her to be more focused as a passing pg rather than a scoring point-forward that doesn’t always have to shoot. Paige was our best playmaker last year as a point-forward which she could easily do again this year. As far as “deciding who takes shots” UCONN is not like Iowa – a one-player team. Geno’s Offense is super when it’s run right when healthy and it’s why player’s like Paige and Azzi come because it is so focused on team player rather than one-player-play. And because she is a point-forward she will often make key decisions.

And I disagree with “the sorely lacking.” comment about one-on-one play. What was “sorely lacking” was the number of players on the bench dressed in street clothes. Iowa could only win in seconds vs a team that had half it’s player’s missing. And to add to this UCONN brings in Sarah (and maybe Jana) are potential offensive juggernauts to a certain degree. More than likely at least one of the 2 will be much more efficient vs Kaitlin going one-on-one in which the 3 player combo would be far superior than having a less efficient scorer takes shots away from them by going too much one-on-one. There would be no reason to have her focus on one-on-one when the team has so much amazing talent between Paige, Azzi and the youngsters aforementioned. This team is built to be an efficient offensive beast by not focusing on one-on-one.

The focus should be for limted one-on-one and morre expsoing other teams through mostly ball movement and giving the more efficient superstars as many shots as they can within reason but still focused on them. Then the more the Defense reacts to this, then it opens up everything for the other players. Which in turn makes the other players "better."
Regardless of whether her lateral movement and defense were as strong as ever, I still think it was a a weak point for us last season and Aaliyah is a more significant loss on that side of the ball.

With Paige we are seemingly saying the same thing. Yes Uconn is better she she is aggressively shooting the ball but she shoots the ball most aggressively when it is in her hands. She's less aggressive off the ball. Hence my desire to put her on the ball. You say you want her to play point forward, but we will hopefully not need to play her as a forward this year, instead we can play her as a guard, in which case she will be a point guard.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I prefer an offense with Kaitlyn going on on one and I certainly don't think Kaitlyn going one v one should be our primary offense, or even an option at all. I am simply saying she is a scorer more so than a distributer and we'd benefit from leaning into her skill set rather than having her do something she's not as great at. Especially when, as you said, our best play maker form last year (Paige) is still on the team. In fact, we would have won more games if the ball was in her hands more last season instead of a PG who wasn't as good at playmaking.

I never said anything about 1v1 play. I said we were sorely lacking players that could create their own shot, which isn't the same as 1v1. And I stand by that comment. Even if fully healthy we really one had Azzi and Paige with that ability (KK would be there imo if she could figure out how to finish consistently), and Azzi hasn't even consistently shown that ability in college. Kaitlyn is a creator and her scoring ability will take pressure off of Paige.

It IS strange though that you think two post players new to college basketball will be better at creating their own shots than a 5th year senior who has proven the ability to do it against the best teams in the country already. That I do not think will prove to be true. Jana and Sarah will both need someone to create the shots for them and I'd rather that be Paige than anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom