2024-2025 Roster Breakdown.. Swipe | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024-2025 Roster Breakdown.. Swipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
of course. it's another priority ingredient paige provides, as she did last year. ... but i suspect she's the sole source. hope someone else will emerge, because it's needed and paige already is overloaded. she shall handle it -- but it's an immense burden. she may need some assistance, and surely would appreciate it.
I mean there will be a 6th year senior on the roster, a fifth year senior (Kaitlyn) two 4th year players (Azzi and Carol), and two players in their third year of college (Ice and Ayanna). I really don’t see this as a huge concern going into next season as we lack a lot of in game experience but have experience in the program and experience with adversity in spades.

Reaction Score
You can think of experience in terms of age. I mean, when you come out of high school you're 18 or 19 and you find yourself playing against kids as old as 22 and 23 as opposed to the 14 and 15 year olds you sometimes encountered. That's a real culture shock. Just like in the W, when 23 year old rookies can end up matched up with Diana.

I'm just guessing at the ages here, but I think the Huskies roster includes:

one 24 year old (or maybe 25?)
two 23 year olds
two 22 year olds
three 21 year olds
three 20 year olds
three 19 year olds

That's an average age of roughly 21 across the entire roster. I wonder how that stacks up against other D1 teams.

Reaction Score
I mean there will be a 6th year senior on the roster, a fifth year senior (Kaitlyn) two 4th year players (Azzi and Carol), and two players in their third year of college (Ice and Ayanna). I really don’t see this as a huge concern going into next season as we lack a lot of in game experience but have experience in the program and experience with adversity in spades.

That's the benefit of the depth they can have this season. Last year 4 of the 7 man rotation were 1st year players and it mattered. This season UConn has 4 1st year players and they are still very experienced.

Griffin - 6th year
Bueckers - 5th
Chen - 5th
Fudd - 4th
Ducharme - 4th

Reaction Score
Nobody knows what to expect from Caroline, but no news I'm hoping is good news. It was disappointing last season when Geno was giving a lot of pre-season hype in her direction, then to see only a very weak shell of her healthy self. It made me want to cry! However, your statement seems to lack a bit of knowledge and consideration of what she's been dealing with. "A year post hip-surgery" you say, what about all the head trauma??? Have you forgotten about that? She tried to give it a go last year, but just couldn't do it. She wasn't ready. I don't know where to lay the blame for that, but it wasn't Caroline doing the pre-season hyping. Regardless, that's no reason to penalize her going forward. If she's "ready" this season, I believe her talents and skills will find their way into the starting lineup. If she's ready, but can't win her position back, then hopefully she will still be an asset to the team any way she can. No disrespect intended.
Definitely aware she's been dealing with a bunch of head trauma since her freshman year. I mainly mentioned the hip surgery and immediately after mentioned her being in great physical shape to start the season last year to point out her movement. I thought as a sophomore on the heals of the surgery she didn't move very well. But in the summer and maybe the first couple games she was moving, like switching ends and cutting well. To your point and to the difficulty in assessing her status, her being physically ready also includes her head, neck etc. And that's y I said I have no idea what to expect. I don't know the rehab or the ramp up process for her condition

Reaction Score
I like and agree a lot of your rational but I don't see Geno changing the starting line up much once everyone is healthy. My guess is the startling line up once Azzi is healthy (Hopefully day 1) will be the starting line up the rest of the season. Paige, Azzi, Kaitlyn, Sarah, Jana. The only person i could see breaking into the starting line up is Ice for Sarah, depending on how Ice's off season goes and how quickly Sarah can acclimate to D1 basketball. I do think your rotations analysis is spot on except I think Morgan will get time over Q because she has a skill set build for UConn and Geno.
I like your thinking and analysis, just disappointed you didn't mention Caroline at all. If she's healthy from day 1 or 10, it will be very hard to keep her off the court.

Reaction Score
I've a question, a lot of posters have KK coming off the bench, whts the reason behind tht decision?
It's as simple as she's the second or third best PG on the team (depending on Chen) and probably 4th or 5th best guard overall. She should solidly be in the rotation though and one of the first, if not the first, guard off the bench. Ideally everyone will be healthy this year and we won't need to start multiple PGs.

Reaction Score
I've a question, a lot of posters have KK coming off the bench, whts the reason behind tht decision?
I think it's a function of thinking of lineups not absolutely but in terms of how the season develops. I've long though that this fall, Geno will start his most experienced 5 (among the healthy) and to me that says KK starts alongside Paige Ash Ice and Jana. Then he lets the season unfold and makes changes as the competition in practice reveals a more suitable starting lineup to him.

My guess is that by sometime in late February (if not sooner) Kaitlyn may have earned the starting spot over KK for a couple reasons: 1) she has more maturity, and 2) she is better at creating her own shot. Of course, the competition in practice during January and February might also have the effect of pushing KK to improve her own game and then Kaitlyn comes off the bench.

Reaction Score
I think it's a function of thinking of lineups not absolutely but in terms of how the season develops. I've long though that this fall, Geno will start his most experienced 5 (among the healthy) and to me that says KK starts alongside Paige Ash Ice and Jana. Then he lets the season unfold and makes changes as the competition in practice reveals a more suitable starting lineup to him.

My guess is that by sometime in late February (if not sooner) Kaitlyn may have earned the starting spot over KK for a couple reasons: 1) she has more maturity, and 2) she is better at creating her own shot. Of course, the competition in practice during January and February might also have the effect of pushing KK to improve her own game and then Kaitlyn comes off the bench.
Losing your starting spot to a 5th year senior transfer in February would be demoralizing to a young PG imo. I don't see Geno doing that unless KK seriously underperforms because I think he see's KK as the PG of the future and that could seriously derail her imo.
The reverse would be preferred and the only way I see a starting line up switch happening with those two except for injury and or serious regression.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
It's as simple as she's the second or third best PG on the team (depending on Chen) and probably 4th or 5th best guard overall. She should solidly be in the rotation though and one of the first, if not the first, guard off the bench. Ideally everyone will be healthy this year and we won't need to start multiple PGs.
Excuse the delay I'm on vacation with the family, but just for the record who are these 4 PGs tht will possibly gonna be ahead her her? Besides Paige who's gonna make up the assist we lose with Nika? Who's gonna make up the defensive pressure on the point tht Nika gave the team? And who's gonna collect 90 or more steals (which led the team) thn her? For 3 off seasons a WHOLE lot of posters proclaimed tht Nika won't start or by January Nika will be coming off the bench and the same posters were very very quiet whn proven wrong. Geno loves those PGs tht know and handle their roles and it doesn't have to be by scoring a bunch of points. The pg position is the hardest position to learn, they are a extension from the coach to the players on the floor.
Losing your starting spot to a 5th year senior transfer in February would be demoralizing to a young PG imo. I don't see Geno doing that unless KK seriously underperforms because I think he see's KK as the PG of the future and that could seriously derail her imo.
The reverse would be preferred and the only way I see a starting line up switch happening with those two except for injury and or serious regression.
I totally agree.

Reaction Score
Good point. Still, I think if the rotation is based on no one other than Paige and Azzi exceeding 20 minutes, coming off the bench might not seem like much of a demotion. She may end up feeling like Aubrey coming off the bench, you know, like superwoman, or like Evina, who did the same. The tradition at UConn is deeper than just one binary set of alternatives. In fact, Evina is perhaps the best example of Husky selflessness. She's the ultimate team role model in my view.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Excuse the delay I'm on vacation with the family, but just for the record who are these 4 PGs tht will possibly gonna be ahead her her? Besides Paige who's gonna make up the assist we lose with Nika? Who's gonna make up the defensive pressure on the point tht Nika gave the team? And who's gonna collect 90 or more steals (which led the team) thn her? For 3 off seasons a WHOLE lot of posters proclaimed tht Nika won't start or by January Nika will be coming off the bench and the same posters were very very quiet whn proven wrong. Geno loves those PGs tht know and handle their roles and it doesn't have to be by scoring a bunch of points. The pg position is the hardest position to learn, they are a extension from the coach to the players on the floor.

I totally agree.
I thk it's her job to lose

Reaction Score
Good point. Still, I think if the rotation is based on no one other than Paige and Azzi exceeding 20 minutes, coming off the bench might not seem like much of a demotion. She may end up feeling like Aubrey coming off the bench, you know, like superwoman, or like Evina, who did the same. The tradition at UConn is deeper than just one binary set of alternatives. In fact, Evina is perhaps the best example of Husky selflessness. She's the ultimate team role model in my view.
If the rotation is based on no one exceeding 20 minutes, why even make the change atp? I just don't see the rational to start KK at the beginning of the year just to remove her near the end of the season when she would have been starting for almost two full seasons at that point, for player that won't even be here the following year. I think Chen will start from day 1 or won't start at all.

Reaction Score

I totally agree.
I said 4th or 5th best GUARD overall, i said she was the second or third best PG. And I think Paige, and Azzi are clearly above and Chen and Shade could also be listed above KK at the guard position, putting her in that 4-5 position in the backcourt.

I think Paige can more than make up for Nika's assist ability and with excellent passers like Morgan and Sarah coming in, along with Kaitlyn, we will be more than set in the passing department. I expect this to be an elite passing team with so many distributors instead of the over reliance on Nika to initiate the offense that we have seen the last two seasons.

And again Kaitlyn is a good defensive guard and will help with making up Nika's defensive pressure, along with KK. Both are bit quicker than Nika which will give us a different look in the backcourt who relyed more on size and physicality to defend. I think it will take a while to adjust but I'm more worried about our front court defense than our backcourt defense which should improve just by moving players back to their natural positions.

All this to say is that I think KK will play significant PG minutes this season, just coming off the bench as their are some more experienced PGs ahead of her.

Reaction Score
Difficult to see how a second year player losing the starting job to a (very good) fifth year senior should be so demoralizing as to affect her future performance? It’s not as if she (KK) is not going to get lots of playing time anyway.The question is, how much has KK improved over the summer? Hopefully, she has put in a lot of work on her shot, especially the three and her midrange. If her three is substantially better, she’s going to be a real handful! This really goes for Ash as well. If those two come back greatly improved, especially in terms of their shooting, then it becomes very difficult to see how anyone on this roster is going to take their starting position away. It’s not as though either one of them were chopped liver last season! This roster is so talented though, that everyone better be working their tails off or someone will take their spot!

Reaction Score
Difficult to see how a second year player losing the starting job to a (very good) fifth year senior should be so demoralizing as to affect her future performance? It’s not as if she (KK) is not going to get lots of playing time anyway.The question is, how much has KK improved over the summer? Hopefully, she has put in a lot of work on her shot, especially the three and her midrange. If her three is substantially better, she’s going to be a real handful! This really goes for Ash as well. If those two come back greatly improved, especially in terms of their shooting, then it becomes very difficult to see how anyone on this roster is going to take their starting position away. It’s not as though either one of them were chopped liver last season! This roster is so talented though, that everyone better be working their tails off or someone will take their spot!
My issue isn't with her losing her starting job in general. Its losing it in February that I think any player would have an issue with. If she is good enough to start most of 2024, and in November, December and January of this season, what would have had to occur to pull her from the starting line up at that point?

I don't have KK (or Ash) in the starting line up at all during the season, but I certainly don't advocate to change starters 3/4 of the way through the season and 7/8 of the way through a players career unless they are seriously under performing.

Reaction Score

I disagree. If Chen starts over Arnold it will be because she is playing better and Arnold will accept that. I also think that the guards with the most versatility will be in the rotation. That is both in terms of skills and in terms of knowing all the roles on the floor. Who plays best in a two guard lineup? Besides, I think there will be 4 or 5 guards who all get about the same minutes whether they start or not. Those that are hot will play more in that game and 2 other guards may star in another game.

I don't think either the players or the coaches have a clue right now about who starts except for one. That won't stop us though, will it?

Reaction Score
I disagree. If Chen starts over Arnold it will be because she is playing better and Arnold will accept that. I also think that the guards with the most versatility will be in the rotation. That is both in terms of skills and in terms of knowing all the roles on the floor. Who plays best in a two guard lineup? Besides, I think there will be 4 or 5 guards who all get about the same minutes whether they start or not. Those that are hot will play more in that game and 2 other guards may star in another game.

I don't think either the players or the coaches have a clue right now about who starts except for one. That won't stop us though, will it?
I think Chen WILL start over Arnold, but from the beginning of the season on. A February starting line up change would demoralize most Sophmore that would have been starting most of their careers to that point, imo.

Reaction Score
1--- I expect Kaitlyn to start but it's close. As Azzi gets more comfortable, the player okaying alongside Azzi and Paige,in addition to getting the ball inside to Sara/Jana will get the continued nod. Both have to be efficient shooting the ball. That makes the game easier for Paige/Azzi and the Posts. It won't be that much about scoing but efficiency.

2--- Great Offenses have balance. UCONN s going to do everything they can to try to get scoring from the Post. The problem is that Ice's strength is not low post scoring. This leads to Sarah and Jana getting lots of opportunities to score inside. Many are very certain with Jana. For me I am certain that Sarah will be a hammer. If Jana isn't very good as a low post scorer, then through the motion offense Sarah will be the team's 3rd top scorer behind Paige and a healthy Azzi.

3---In regard to Azzi, whenever she is deemed "healthy," the 6 game early-season-window we saw in her soph year would indicate one of the elite players in the game. That version of Azzi is going to play over 30 minutes in big games. You don't sit an elite guard that is among the top 10 bets if not better in big games all-in-the-name of making the game more about endurance than basketball. Superstar guards are a different breed that superstar centers.

4--- The five players coming back from injury (Azzi, Jana, Aubrey, Caroline and Ayanna), make this team such a wildcard. For me, I can't speak of 3 of them - Caroline, Ayanna, and to a lesser degree Aubrey until I see them in game action.

5-- As long as UCONN keeps winning as much as they do, detrimental morale will never be an issue. The player's aren't brittle.

6--- I've agreed with Cuango's sentiment/posts regarding Sarah the moment she committed to UCONN. Not having to be Option 1 or 2 as a frosh and not have to rely on just being an outside shooter will be an enormous benefit. I expect that she'll shine brightly in this specific Offense. Great teams have some sort of balanced inside/outside Offense and Sarah should be able to score very efficiently as the 3rd Option. This is why she was considered the perfect fit. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1--- I expect Kaitlyn to start but it's close. As Azzi gets more comfortable, the player okaying alongside Azzi and Paige,in addition to getting the ball inside to Sara/Jana will get the continued nod. Both have to be efficient shooting the ball. That makes the game easier for Paige/Azzi and the Posts. It won't be that much about scoing but efficiency.

2--- Great Offenses have balance. UCONN s going to do everything they can to try to get scoring from the Post. The problem is that Ice's strength is not low post scoring. This leads to Sarah and Jana getting lots of opportunities to score inside. Many are very certain with Jana. For me I am certain that Sarah will be a hammer. If Jana isn't very good as a low post scorer, then through the motion offense Sarah will be the team's 3rd top scorer behind Paige and a healthy Azzi.

3---In regard to Azzi, whenever she is deemed "healthy," the 6 game early-season-window we saw in her soph year would indicate one of the elite players in the game. That version of Azzi is going to play over 30 minutes in big games. You don't sit an elite guard that is among the top 10 bets if not better in big games all-in-the-name of making the game more about endurance than basketball. Superstar guards are a different breed that superstar centers.

4--- The five players coming back from injury (Azzi, Jana, Aubrey, Caroline and Ayanna), make this team such a wildcard. For me, I can't speak of 3 of them - Caroline, Ayanna, and to a lesser degree Aubrey until I see them in game action.

5-- As long as UCONN keeps winning as much as they do, detrimental morale will never be an issue. The player's aren't brittle.

6--- I've agreed with Cuango's sentiment/posts regarding Sarah the moment she committed to UCONN. Not having to be Option 1 or 2 as a frosh and not have to rely on just being an outside shooter will be an enormous benefit. I expect that she'll shine brightly in this specific Offense. Great teams have some sort of balanced inside/outside Offense and Sarah should be able to score very efficiently as the 3rd Option. This is why she was considered the perfect fit. :)
1--- I am so moved by the prospect of having multiple scoring threats.

2--- I'm not totally confident in Jana's scoring, but I'm optimistic. But you're right to think Sarah playing alongside Paige and Azzi (and I add any one of several efficient scorers) will be potent.

4--- I don't expect Ayanna to ever be a primary scoring threat. That's not what we want from her. She can supply rebounds, defense and she runs the floor well. If she can do those things, she'll be like another Kiah Stokes... and that will be plenty. We want more from Aubrey and Caroline, and I have a suspicion we'll get it, too.

5--- I'm totally with you on the morale question. This is the heart of Geno's coaching strategy.

6--- Also totally agree about Sarah benefitting from not having to be the lynchpin of the team as a freshman. I hope playing with Paige and Azzi [and Jana] is a joyous experience for her.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just because we won a Big East title without Aaliyah doesn’t mean we couldn’t have won it if we didn’t have Nika (but had Aaliyah of course). Nika did more than just play defense but the things she did offensively could have been covered off by other players.
Nika has the most assists two seasons in a row, then breaks the all time assists record at UConn and you say others could have covered her offense. What are you smoking and can I get some of it.

Reaction Score
Is it possible for Geno to have 5 legit scoring threats on the floor at once? You bet it is!
Paige -- Azzi -- Ash -- Sarah -- Jana
or go small ball and put in Allie for Jana, Morgan for Ash... Aubrey for Sarah, Caroline for Azzi, Kaitlyn for Paige.

There's a lot of offensive punch on this roster. Those are all players able to create their own shot.

Reaction Score
Nika has the most assists two seasons in a row, then breaks the all time assists record at UConn and you say others could have covered her offense. What are you smoking and can I get some of it.

Muhl's admittedly impressive stats were aided somewhat by the circumstances of the last two seasons. In 2023 she was the only healthy guard on the team. (Bettencourt wasn't ready) Senechal was a 6'1 wing and didn't have the handle to play guard, never mind pg. But she was a very efficient scorer and the combination was a part of Muhl's record assists. In 2024 there were seven players and 4 were in the 1st year so Muhl again shouldered the bulk of the pg minutes.

Saying that there are players on the 2025 roster whose skills can give UConn everything they could want isn't in any way a negative comment about Muhl. It's the fans who are saying that "she can't be replaced" who are disrespecting the 2025 guards.

I believe that no one is ever replaced. New players come in with their skills and succeed or fail on their own merits. If a fan had posted a prediction prior to the 2021 season that Muhl would set the all-time assist record they would have faced laughter. The general view was that she would spend 4 years as Bueckers' backup at pg. Fans should keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom