2024-2025 Roster Breakdown.. Swipe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024-2025 Roster Breakdown.. Swipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bold claim about 2025 but I like it.

I like a lot of what u posted. In Geno we trust but having so many talented players..from the outside looking in does seem hard to manage. Qadence and Caroline seem like such gamers but there's a world that neither see much game time. I slightly disagree on the KK vs Chen thing cuz I'm pretty high on Chen. I think KK will do KK things regardless of starting or not playing 30 minutes, and it's cool she has another year to learn from an experienced point guard. They both can play on and off the ball so I think they should both see time, but I like Kaitlyn's ability to score a bit more .

To me the biggest unknowns are Azzi, Sarah, and Jana. They could each be anywhere from positive contributors to All Conference team players that garner national attention. They all could start or each could come off the bench. They could be essential to a closing lineup or struggle defensively and be rotated out in close games. Im pretty high on each of them, which is y I think the team will be in the running for the national championship.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The competition against top 10-12 teams will be incredible this year. It is due to an increased depth of talent, free agency through the portal, and at long last the final (or almost final) application of the covid year.

UConn has a lot of question marks, and the ones that relate to health concern me more than the ones relating to experience. But there are fourteen high level players and it is not hard to imagine that at least eight or more them will be playing at that high level.

But I think that what will set UConn apart this year will be the play of Paige Bueckers. She could have gone to the WNBA but she stayed for a reason. She will be on a mission and the second season after an ACL injury is better than the first. She looks stronger and I am looking for full on Mamba mentality. She is certainly mindful of friend Caitlin Clark’s impact on the game and knows that she is fully capable of doing the same. I expect her to take over at crunch time when it counts the most.

Reaction Score

No UConn fan would deny the possibility but I would think it very unlikely that the four returning injured and the 3 freshmen will all fail to contribute.
Two years ago UConn "rented" Senechal. Chen is an elite guard with a proven history of success against elite level teams. She will play a huge role in the rotation.

I'm always amazed that no one ever questions players coming off injuries unless they play for UConn. No one doubts that Miles will be the same player but Fudd has to prove that she is OK. Bueckers got the same treatment while Harmon, sho has had multiple injuries at Texas is just assumed to be 100%. It's the same for transfers. Van Lith and Morrow were the big reason LSU was last year's media pick for the title. This year USC has 6 freshmen and I believe 2 transfers and yet not one of them needs to prove a thing to the media who have anointed them as this year's "super team".

Shade is one in a long list of UConn players that can have HUGE seasons. I can't predict that any single one of them (other than Bueckers) will do it but out of the remaining 13 I wager that at least 7 or 8 will be really really good and a few will deserve three "reallys".

Reaction Score
Shade is one in a long list of UConn players that can have HUGE seasons.
Judging from her hs games, I expected Ash to be a core contributor eventually. The only surprise was that events required it of her as a freshman.

Reaction Score
No UConn fan would deny the possibility but I would think it very unlikely that the four returning injured and the 3 freshmen will all fail to contribute.
Two years ago UConn "rented" Senechal. Chen is an elite guard with a proven history of success against elite level teams. She will play a huge role in the rotation.

I'm always amazed that no one ever questions players coming off injuries unless they play for UConn. No one doubts that Miles will be the same player but Fudd has to prove that she is OK. Bueckers got the same treatment while Harmon, sho has had multiple injuries at Texas is just assumed to be 100%. It's the same for transfers. Van Lith and Morrow were the big reason LSU was last year's media pick for the title. This year USC has 6 freshmen and I believe 2 transfers and yet not one of them needs to prove a thing to the media who have anointed them as this year's "super team".

Shade is one in a long list of UConn players that can have HUGE seasons. I can't predict that any single one of them (other than Bueckers) will do it but out of the remaining 13 I wager that at least 7 or 8 will be really really good and a few will deserve three "reallys".
This is…. A very god point

Reaction Score
I am totally with you on this.

I expect Jana will be scary good by mid February. She'll probably be pretty rough and tentative in November and December, maybe get in foul trouble a lot until she figures out her place in the defense. And the following season I expect she'll be an absolute terror.

And Sarah will also be great, and will probably find her place on both ends of the court a bit sooner than Jana.

The question marks for me among the newcomers are Morgan and Allie. They have some serious skills, but it's not as easy to see how they'll translate to D1. Morgan's heart and energy are irrepressible and that has to pay off for the Huskies before long. Allie is a shooter and that has an obvious currency at any level. If they can find a way to contribute early, I think the team will be a matchup nightmare for everyone, even SC.

And if we get the sophomore leap I expect from Ice and Q then our depth will be awesome. I don't count KK and Ash in this because they already got their sophomore leap last February. Now we're waiting to see their "junior" leap.

As a fan, I find myself torn between dreaming of this season and next. We'll go from a very thin team to being a loaded one this year. Still, much of the roster either lacks D1 experience or is recovering from injury. The excitement this generates, the uncertainty of it all, is amazing. And the following year, so many of those question marks will have been erased. The sophomores will have become sturdy juniors and the freshmen will then be incredible sophomores. What an amazing veteran team we'll get to watch in 25-26. But there is a possibility that the incandescent talent of PB will have moved on to the W. That is a bitter-sweet thought.

These next two years should be amazing for us fans.
With a healthy Aubrey and Ayanna, we should anticipate a boost in one stat where we were deficient last year -- offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Whoa! Slow down a bit. As along as Paige is on this team, it will always be hers! I love what Ashlynn gave us last year, how could you not. But if Azzi and Caroline are back at full strength, Ashlynn's minutes will be reduced ... perhaps greatly. How on earth do you make a statement that Chen (a "rental" by your definition) "should not be allowed to impede KK's emergence as number-one point guard this season." Should not be allowed? Geno will make the decision on who plays and if I had to guess Chen, based on her experience and greater scoring ability, will be in the mix a good percentage of the time.

PvP

Reaction Score
I agree with most everything you stated here except for the evaluation of Ayanna and her comparison to Aubrey. Where did this come from? Surely not from what little we've seen of her in a UConn uniform. If everyone is healthy, I don't see her role improving much over what it was previously ... if that. There are just so many minutes and this team is loaded. I see the top 10 players as: Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, Jana, Sarah, Chen, KK, Ashlynn, and Ice. That leaves Morgan, Q, Allie and Ayanna fighting for 3-5 minutes a game ...if that.
Maybe those 10 will emerge eventually but it's very likely that Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey won't be ready at the onset of the season. I see Morgan, Q and Allie getting the minutes that those unable to go at the beginning and, much like Ashlynn and KK last year, they may be hard to unseat. The one I see as having the hardest time getting minutes this year is Yanna who missed an entire year after not impressing in her initial year.

Reaction Score
Just hope we can be and stay healthy this season.
Let’s see what UCONN can do with a full roster and hitting on all 8 cylinders.
I imagine that the rest of WCBB is a bit tired of hearing HuskyNation saying “ If only…”
Tell you the truth, I’m getting a little sick of it myself.
I’m certainly not faulting the injured players.
They must be going nuts waiting for the opening gun.
Of all the questions ( and there are plenty), I really want to see if Caroline can return and regain her pre injury form.
The type of head injury she’s been dealing with and the recovery can be a real enigma.
It seems so unfair that I feel cheated because Caroline has been unable to play and contribute.
Problem is we’ve seen what she’s capable of when she’s been given minutes.

Reaction Score
Maybe those 10 will emerge eventually but it's very likely that Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey won't be ready at the onset of the season. I see Morgan, Q and Allie getting the minutes that those unable to go at the beginning and, much like Ashlynn and KK last year, they may be hard to unseat. The one I see as having the hardest time getting minutes this year is Yanna who missed an entire year after not impressing in her initial year.
I think you're right (though I'm much more optimistic about Ayanna) and especially about the surprises all the competition and the late re-entry of some of the stars. The silver lining of last year's dark injury clouds was that Ash and KK really got the time to fit themselves into Geno's system. If Azzi Caroline Ayanna and Aubrey take a little longer to return, it could mean Q Sarah Allie and Morgan will experience more live game action than they ordinarily would. That can only be good in the long term.

Reaction Score
Whoa! Slow down a bit. As along as Paige is on this team, it will always be hers! I love what Ashlynn gave us last year, how could you not. But if Azzi and Caroline are back at full strength, Ashlynn's minutes will be reduced ... perhaps greatly. How on earth do you make a statement that Chen (a "rental" by your definition) "should not be allowed to impede KK's emergence as number-one point guard this season." Should not be allowed? Geno will make the decision on who plays and if I had to guess Chen, based on her experience and greater scoring ability, will be in the mix a good percentage of the time.
This ^^^

I am an Ashlyn, KK and Ice fan; I'm a UConn fan, so how can I not be! That said, these are sophomores who yes, received quite a bit of playing time as freshmen. And, being thrust right into the fry pan, these freshmen performed remarkably well. They were great for us last season! That playing time would not likely have been received however if it were not for injuries to other (more experienced/better) players at the time. That is not intended to be a negative toward Ash, KK and Ice; it is just honest talk. If Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey, not had their injuries, had they been available and performing at their peak performance levels, Ashlyn, KK, and Ice would not have had the opportunities to show us their stuff.

Next season, hopefully injury free, Geno will have many more options than those sophomores, including the previous injured players who they replaced. The coaching staff is going to make the decision on who plays based upon who is the best player for the situation. If that turns out to be Ice Brady over Sarah Strong, Aubrey Griffin and Ayanna Patterson, then so be it. If it turns out to be Ashlynn Shade over Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme and Quadence Samuels, then so be it. If it turns out to be KK Arnold over Kaitlyn Chen and Paige Bueckers, then so be it. None of this even considers Morgan, Allie, or Jana, who are also going to be competing for playing time!

Of our 14 players, two of them happened to be All Americans from last season. Those two All Americans are now 5th year players with extensive experience. They are both ball handlers who do not give up turn overs, nor do they commit personal fouls. Further, when the game is on the line, when UConn is up by eight with 2 minutes left in the game and the opponent is fouling to stop the clock ... these two All Americans have proven to be poised and confident. They make their free throws! During those crucial moments, these two are not likely going to travel, they are not going to dribble the ball off their foot, or have it taken from them. Nor are they going to be throwing it into a mob in an attempt to pass it to a player who is not open. And they can be counted upon to seal the victory when they are put on the line!

If another of our 14 players ends up outplaying them, if they are better than either of those two All Americans and warrant the play time; that will be a fantastic situation for the UConn team as a whole, because I don't see either of those two faltering even a little bit. This would truly be a scenario of a third justifiable All American added to the mix. We will have to wait and see how it shakes out; my gut feel is, it will be Azzi Fudd who will likely have an All-American performance this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
This ^^^

I am an Ashlyn, KK and Ice fan; I'm a UConn fan, so how can I not be! That said, these are sophomores who yes, received quite a bit of playing time as freshmen. And, being thrust right into the fry pan, these freshmen performed remarkably well. They were great for us last season! That playing time would not likely have been received however if it were not for injuries to other (more experienced/better) players at the time. That is not intended to be a negative toward Ash, KK and Ice; it is just honest talk. If Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey, not had their injuries, had they been available and performing at their peak performance levels, Ashlyn, KK, and Ice would not have had the opportunities to show us their stuff.

Next season, hopefully injury free, Geno will have many more options than those sophomores, including the previous injured players who they replaced. The coaching staff is going to make the decision on who plays based upon who is the best player for the situation. If that turns out to be Ice Brady over Sarah Strong, Aubrey Griffin and Ayanna Patterson, then so be it. If it turns out to be Ashlynn Shade over Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme and Quadence Samuels, then so be it. If it turns out to be KK Arnold over Kaitlyn Chen and Paige Bueckers, then so be it. None of this even considers Morgan, Allie, or Jana, who are also going to be competing for playing time!

Of our 14 players, two of them happened to be All Americans from last season. Those two All Americans are now 5th year players with extensive experience. They are both ball handlers who do not give up turn overs, nor do they commit personal fouls. Further, when the game is on the line, when UConn is up by eight with 2 minutes left in the game and the opponent is fouling to stop the clock ... these two All Americans have proven to be poised and confident. They make their free throws! During those crucial moments, these two are not likely going to travel, they are not going to dribble the ball off their foot, or have it taken from them. Nor are they going to be throwing it into a mob in an attempt to pass it to a player who is not open. And they can be counted upon to seal the victory when they are put on the line!

If another of our 14 players ends up outplaying them, if they are better than either of those two All Americans and warrant the play time; that will be a fantastic situation for the UConn team as a whole, because I don't see either of those two faltering even a little bit. This would truly be a scenario of a third justifiable All American added to the mix. We will have to wait and see how it shakes out; my gut feel is, it will be Azzi Fudd who will likely have an All-American performance this upcoming season.
What does this have to do with anything I wrote?

Reaction Score
I would say it is possible that Azzi won't be ready in November but most likely she should be ready by then. The 9 month mark is typical for full contact green light for ACL's and November would put her at 11 months. I'd be surprised if being ready for the beginning of the season wasn't a goal for her rehab, although I would expect a minutes restriction until January.

Caroline, if she's not ready in November, I don't see her being ready later in the season. Given she's been back on campus recently and Geno indicated she'll be good to go at some point, I'm optimistic she'll be ready for minutes early.

Aubrey is the only one that very likely won't be ready to go until later one. While its POSSIBLE she's ready in November, I'd expect a later season re-entrance from her as well.

All of that being said, I don't think any of those three players will have a tough time unseating KK, Ash, Q, Morgan or Allie because Geno seems quite loyal to these upperclassman specifically. He's already implied Ashlyn will head to the bench in favor of Azzi and Azzi isn't even cleared yet. I don't know that Yanna will have a tough time getting minutes if she is healthy because we have so little post depth, especially early in the season before Aubrey is ready. Its essentially Ice, Jana and Ayanna and Ice has issues staying out of foul trouble and Geno has already said Jana is a foul machine.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I’m just happy I might be alive for another season of watching our UConn kids develop into the best versions of themselves.

One of the things I really like about the kids the UConn staff bring in is that when an opportunity presents itself for more minutes they tend to embrace and take advantage of the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure why Caroline, in particular, would be unlikely to be ready at the beginning of the season? If she’s going to be ready at all, she will likely be ready by then. Obviously, there is a valid concern that she may never play elite level, or for that matter, any level of competitive basketball again! However, my guess is that if she is not ready by November, then we have likely seen the last of her as a fully contributing player on the court!

I am, of course, not referring to her chances of being in top form in terms of basketball shape but rather in being able to play fully, without physical limitations. Any player, regardless of why she/he was forced to be absent from the game as long as Caroline has been, would need some time to acclimate back into the game again.

I have wanted few things in my long infatuation with Sports more than being able to see Caroline Ducharme, fully recovered, and able to once again play the game she loves, fully, without fear and with the joy and enthusiasm (and skill) that she so very briefly was able to demonstrate in her freshman season! I pray that she will finally get that opportunity this upcoming season!

Reaction Score
With a healthy Aubrey and Ayanna, we should anticipate a boost in one stat where we were deficient last year -- offensive rebounds.

True, but UConn has an efficient offense and isn't as dependent on 2nd chance points as some programs. Where I hope to see improvement is in limiting opponents' offensive rebounding. Have a bunch of front court players who can rotate should help that happen.

Reaction Score
What does this have to do with anything I wrote?
Intention was that I agree with you, particularly the part where you wrote, "Geno will make the decision on who plays and if I had to guess Chen, based on her experience and greater scoring ability, will be in the mix a good percentage of the time." Specifically, why I colored that portion; kinda gave it a highlight.

I guess I could have put a thumbs up emoji under your post #32. In fact, I've gone ahead and done that. Didn't mean to insinuate anything else other than exactly what I wrote. -cheers!

Reaction Score
My hopes for this season, like every season, is that every player stays healthy and plays to the absolute best of their ability — especially by the time March rolls around — so that we are spoiled for choice.

How I would love (with this current UConn team) to be like SCar the last two seasons where they could just consistently swap players in and out and continue to play at the same high level.

Reaction Score
Last year at some point in the first half of the season Geno said that he was rethinking his opinions about freshmen being able to be counted on. He had no choice but to start 2 of them and both of his bench players were 1st year players. With their endlessly repeated history of the injuries the national media missed the point about the four 1st year players until the NCAA's. And yes, the 3 seniors were the big reasons for making the FF but teams don't get to a FF while "dragging" 4 of their 7 players. Those four made huge strides during the season and UConn was a machine on defense in the post-season. Now Geno has El Alfy, Strong, Ziebell and Cheli as 1st year players. Two were Naismith finalists and the third is perhaps the best outside shooter coming out of high school. El Alfy made need a large part of the season to gel with the team, (much like Brady last year) but her talent is obvious. The four 1st year players may end up being called one of the best classes ever.

Let's stop fretting. I think the four 2nd year players plus the four 1st year players would be a top 10 rotation. Now toss in Chan & Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Also, just let me get this out there right now. I don’t care if they take a few losses early on. All that matters is how they’re playing in April. Geno is going to have to take some chances to build a championship team out of 4 first year players and 4 second years, and 3 superstars who may not all return before the end of December. Come November, it’s could be Paige and Kaitlyn riding herd on a very young team. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it?

And whatever happens, Geno will be the winningest basketball coach in human history long before April. Maybe before the end of December.

Reaction Score
Also, just let me get this out there right now. I don’t care if they take a few losses early on. All that matters is how they’re playing in April. Geno is going to have to take some chances to build a championship team out of 4 first year players and 4 second years, and 3 superstars who may not all return before the end of December. Come November, it’s could be Paige and Kaitlyn riding herd on a very young team. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it?

And whatever happens, Geno will be the winningest basketball coach in human history long before April. Maybe before the end of December.
Superstars? Jeez, you really do like to fantasize don't you? At least you didn't go with "generational". ;)

Reaction Score
Superstars? Jeez, you really do like to fantasize don't you? At least you didn't go with "generational". ;)
Bear in mind that the boneyard is a holy place. And in this temple to the basketball gods, Paige reigns supreme.

But as for your jest, I think it’s fair to describe Azzi Caroline and Aubrey as superstars. Each one can change a game merely by entering it. Yeah yeah, [some noise about unrealized potential, yada yada yada] anyone can disagree. But to what end? What on earth could one hope to accomplish by caviling about terms of praise? It’s not like we’re aiming to have anyone knighted, or sainted… or are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom