2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lots of companies out there repping our women's basketball team or Dawn Staley at the moment. It's kind of cool. A'ja wearing a Gamecock hat in the AT&T commercial, Dawn in her Oofos, the Aflac commercial with Dawn and Coach K, and now this UA commercial! Lots of good press!

Reaction Score
I'd guess I'll be in the small minority, and maybe stand alone, but I found this more frightening than inspiring.

Reaction Score
Let's assume that all the seniors are gone after this season and no underclassmen declare for the draft or transfer. What are positions of need that you think we need grab from the transfer market?

I think we may want to grab an experienced SG (senior or grad transfer) and a Forward or Center. I feel like we need one or two players in roles like Fletcher provided this season at those positions -- players who can provide some experience while the yougins get acclimated against quality competition.

If I had to make a 3 deep at each position with the current roster:

PG: R. Johnson, Fulwiley, Cooper
SG: Cooper, T. Johnson, Hall
W: Hall , Kitts, Jah
F: Watkins/Feagin, Kitts
C/F: Cardoso, Feagin, Watkins

Ideally, I think we would want Hall and Kitts be exclusive to the wing, so I think this would be the ideal scenario with transfers:

SG: [Grad/senior transfer #1], Cooper/T. Johnson
F: Watkins/Feagin, [transfer #2]
C/F: Cardoso, [transfer #2], Feagin

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm all for WCBB being represented, and I have great respect for Coach Staley. I just don't need to see her feet in that OOFOS commercial.:eek:
Last year, if you were a member of the G-Hive (which is the WBB fan club) a pair of OOFOOs were included in the FAM box at the beginning of the year…It also included a t-shirt, sticker, poster, etc

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm all for WCBB being represented, and I have great respect for Coach Staley. I just don't need to see her feet in that OOFOS commercial.:eek:

I've been thinking the same thing for awhile, but didn't want to be the first to mention it. :p

I was watching some basketball last week with my woman, and the aflac commercial with Staley came on. I explained to her who she was and why she is in a national commercial. Told her that i have been a fan of hers since her playing days and how she is a top coach in WCBB. I mentioned that she was in another commercial about some sandles.. She remarked "OOFOS.. Those are nice". I was like maybe so, but I don't wanna see that commercial anymore. :confused::eek:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Let's assume that all the seniors are gone after this season and no underclassmen declare for the draft or transfer. What are positions of need that you think we need grab from the transfer market?

I think we may want to grab an experienced SG (senior or grad transfer) and a Forward or Center. I feel like we need one or two players in roles like Fletcher provided this season at those positions -- players who can provide some experience while the yougins get acclimated against quality competition.

Ideally, I think we would want Hall and Kitts be exclusive to the wing, so I think this would be the ideal scenario with transfers:

Thoughts?
Agree with this, though I do think post depth is a potential concern if the seniors leave and Feagin is still coming off the bench. I think it’s a hard sell to have her backup the bigs for a 3rd year in a row, and if she’s gone it’s slim pickings inside. Dawn’s a great recruiter though and was the first one to really milk the portal, so I’m sure SC will still put out a great squad. If rumors are true that Morrow is in the portal, I think she’d be a great fit on the wing SC. Athletic, high motor and a great rebounder. Push Hall to the 2, she plays the 3 and SC is lethal.

Reaction Score
I think a backup center 6'3+ and a scoring guard are the primary needs.

They can make it work without but those are the possible holes.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
I think Feagin will start. She obviously has patiently waited and Dawn has stated that she is naturally our most gifted post on the team. She will be a great compliment to Cardoza who will draw alot of attention. She runs the floor well, is automatic in the layup area and has a nice jumper to be able to play hi-lo with Boston. I see Watkins being the one to come off the bench as she will provide a stronger defensive presence when Cardoza has to go to the bench. Listening to Dawn, she has talked many times about how naturally talented Feagin is and she can be a double digit scores as we have seen on nights when she gets her minutes. This will help with some of the points we lose in the paint to graduation.

Reaction Score
I think Feagin will start. She obviously has patiently waited and Dawn has stated that she is naturally our most gifted post on the team. She will be a great compliment to Cardoza who will draw alot of attention. She runs the floor well, is automatic in the layup area and has a nice jumper to be able to play hi-lo with Boston. I see Watkins being the one to come off the bench as she will provide a stronger defensive presence when Cardoza has to go to the bench. Listening to Dawn, she has talked many times about how naturally talented Feagin is and she can be a double digit scores as we have seen on nights when she gets her minutes. This will help with some of the points we lose in the paint to graduation.
Yeah, she definitely has a leg up on Watkins on offense but Watkins looks like she will be a gifted forward too. I question both of their defensive capabilities. They both seem to have mental lapses where they are the reason a defensive breakdown happened. I think the player with the biggest jump on defense in the off-season will decide who starts at the 4. Feagin is also the only true backup to Cardoso.

Yeah, I think this mental exercise leads me to believe we need another big to backup Cardoso, maybe ideally a rising sophomore or junior who can bridge when Cardoso leaves. Hopefully we'll get a talented big in this next recruiting class.

My bet is that we grab a grad transfer or rising senior SG and a rising sophomore or junior Center/Forward from the portal. I'll be keeping my eyes on those position players that enter the portal ...

Reaction Score
Yeah, she definitely has a leg up on Watkins on offense but Watkins looks like she will be a gifted forward too. I question both of their defensive capabilities. They both seem to have mental lapses where they are the reason a defensive breakdown happened. I think the player with the biggest jump on defense in the off-season will decide who starts at the 4. Feagin is also the only true backup to Cardoso.

Yeah, I think this mental exercise leads me to believe we need another big to backup Cardoso, maybe ideally a rising sophomore or junior who can bridge when Cardoso leaves. Hopefully we'll get a talented big in this next recruiting class.

My bet is that we grab a grad transfer or rising senior SG and a rising sophomore or junior Center/Forward from the portal. I'll be keeping my eyes on those position players that enter the portal ...
I think we need another big also. Next year’s team will be quick with a lot of offensive weapons, but Dawn’s probably going to pull her hair out on defense, although getting more practice time with the group will help that. I’m looking forward to seeing what they can do. We actually will have Raven, Bree Hall and Kamilla who have ALL played a lot. I know Dawn will be very picky about who she brings in but I know she’ll get someone good. She always does.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lots of companies out there repping our women's basketball team or Dawn Staley at the moment. It's kind of cool. A'ja wearing a Gamecock hat in the AT&T commercial, Dawn in her Oofos, the Aflac commercial with Dawn and Coach K, and now this UA commercial! Lots of good press!

Saw that Wilson commercial while watching the men's game on now. Complete with the Fighting Chicken Theme Song at the end of the commercial :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Is she staying for another year do you guys think? That would be great news for womens college basketball?
She's got our whole fan base worked up wondering exactly that after that message. Monetarily I don't think she would take a hit tbh. She makes bank off NIL. I don't think it would ever even be about money to her, anyway, tbh. I'd assumed after her "letter to Gamecock FAMs" linked a little earlier that she was gone for sure but maybe not.

Reaction Score
She's got our whole fan base worked up wondering exactly that after that message. Monetarily I don't think she would take a hit tbh. She makes bank off NIL. I don't think it would ever even be about money to her, anyway, tbh. I'd assumed after her "letter to Gamecock FAMs" linked a little earlier that she was gone for sure but maybe not.
I really do hope she comes back. Do you guys have enough room for the other seniors scholarship wise? I can't imagine Beal and Cooke would leave if Boston came back.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Maybe she will be transferring to FSU. They are a Garnet school too.

Reaction Score
I really do hope she comes back. Do you guys have enough room for the other seniors scholarship wise? I can't imagine Beal and Cooke would leave if Boston came back.
With so many players bowing out, if I’m Beal or Cooke “I’m out”. They have a great chance of getting drafted and sticking with a team this year. The next 2 years are just going to be a cluster. I honestly can’t imagine Aliyah staying. Being the #1 pick? That’s been her dream. Who knows.

Reaction Score
With so many players bowing out, if I’m Beal or Cooke “I’m out”. They have a great chance of getting drafted and sticking with a team this year. The next 2 years are just going to be a cluster. I honestly can’t imagine Aliyah staying. Being the #1 pick? That’s been her dream. Who knows.
She’ll still be the number 1 pick next year. Sounds like Clark won’t enter the draft next year and Paige is dubious with all her injuries, not sure who would be picked above her?

What else would the braid reveal be for if she wasn’t staying? And I’d doubt she’d stay without one or two of the other seniors planning to stay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom