2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love this breakdown. The guy at Thinking Basketball (best in the business) has had multiple pods & videos on how pre-switching is growing as a counter to matchup hunting in the playoffs, and the Celtics put on a clinic against the Hawks in game 1:

The level of communication & connectedness to pull off concepts like this on the fly is really, really impressive.

Reaction Score
It's entirely debatable. Dude has a career losing record when not playing with LeBron, and it's not like he's only had scrubs for teammates -- Tatum & Brown, KD & Harden, now Luka. Think about that.

He's a generational 1v1 player and an excellent shooter but is bad at almost every other facet of the game. And as much as he brings to a team's offense with his individual skills, he takes off the plate with his ball-stopping.

Kyrie's got a great highlight reel, but he's not a winning player.
Again, I am talking about his skills and talent, that's the part that is not debateable and you seem to agree with that in your 2nd paragraph. I am not talking about whether he is a winning player or a good teammate, I already alluded to the fact that he is not with the baggage he brings.

Reaction Score
I love this breakdown. The guy at Thinking Basketball (best in the business) has had multiple pods & videos on how pre-switching is growing as a counter to matchup hunting in the playoffs, and the Celtics put on a clinic against the Hawks in game 1:

The level of communication & connectedness to pull off concepts like this on the fly is really, really impressive.

Marcus Smart is one of the best communicators in the business. I would imagine this would be much more difficult to pull off without him.

Always thought it was ironic that we get loud as fans when our team is on defense, when defense is when you need to hear your teammates MORE to make a stop.

Reaction Score

11. ORLANDO MAGIC (VIA CHICAGO): JORDAN HAWKINS, G, CONNECTICUT​

The Magic need shooting, especially if they take Anthony Black early in the lottery. Gradey Dick could be an option here, but Jordan Hawkins looks like the best movement shooter in the country during Connecticut’s national championship run. His non-shooting metics are a bit concerning, but he’s got decent positional size, bounce at the rim, and plenty of untapped upside as he fills out his frame.

Reaction Score
Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer has Hawkins at #23 and Jackson at #36. Of course, he has Clingan at #21, so it needs a little updating.

No way in hell Hawkins is there at 23. I doubt hes there at 15.

Reaction Score

11. ORLANDO MAGIC (VIA CHICAGO): JORDAN HAWKINS, G, CONNECTICUT​

The Magic need shooting, especially if they take Anthony Black early in the lottery. Gradey Dick could be an option here, but Jordan Hawkins looks like the best movement shooter in the country during Connecticut’s national championship run. His non-shooting metics are a bit concerning, but he’s got decent positional size, bounce at the rim, and plenty of untapped upside as he fills out his frame.
I actually think Hawkins has an underrated midrange game and he’s better at attacking the basket than the numbers indicate.

He’ll need to put some size on to be able to finish around the basket against NBA defenders. But in the (limited) times he attacked the basket in college, he looked pretty natural doing it and has some sneaky hops.

Hawkins’ shooting will likely be what gets him on the court initially, but I think the openness of the NBA compared to college will help the other parts of his offensive game develop.

Reaction Score
i agree that AJ is draymond, as disruptive but 10000x athletic

Reaction Score
I actually think Hawkins has an underrated midrange game and he’s better at attacking the basket than the numbers indicate.

He’ll need to put some size on to be able to finish around the basket against NBA defenders. But in the (limited) times he attacked the basket in college, he looked pretty natural doing it and has some sneaky hops.

Hawkins’ shooting will likely be what gets him on the court initially, but I think the openness of the NBA compared to college will help the other parts of his offensive game develop.
He has more than sneaky hops. He has a big time vertical.

Reaction Score
i agree that AJ is draymond, as disruptive but 10000x athletic
Draymond is the best defensive player of his generation and before KD came was actually a decent scoring threat before that part of his game eroded. I love AJ's game and his effect on winning but folks gotta slow down just casually comparing the two.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what AJ is thinking re: the NBA draft.. In other words.. Is he considering second round as a non-starter?? Teams will evaluate and scout guys.. Maybe want to improve their position to trade up in picks to get in position for guys.. A few teams ..if their draft positions stay intact(which they won't).. have interesting draft positions. Indiana and Utah have 3- 1st round picks.. Indiana also has pick#32 -2nd round.. Orlando has 2- 1st round picks and a #36-second round..And Charlotte has 2- 1st rounds and picks #34/#39 in second round..

So.. There are some teams with draft capital to trade up and down for certain guys.. Hawk will be fine (pick 10-15).. AJ might slide into late 1st round/ early 2nd if a team falls in love with his talents other than shooting. See Adama as a mid-to- late second rounder with a team where his unique skill set would fit.. TN --See him looking for NBA feedback and returning to Storrs.

But crazy things happen leading up to and on Draft Night.. Lakers or Warriors might love Hawk and are willing to trade up to get him because they need his shot-making off the bench.. Ainge has a lot of draft capital and might be a player in mixing things up with Utah's picks.. You never know..

Reaction Score
Draymond is the best defensive player of his generation and before KD came was actually a decent scoring threat before that part of his game eroded. I love AJ's game and his effect on winning but folks gotta slow down just casually comparing the two.
The comparisons to Kidd, Rondo, Simmons, and Rodman are all spot on though.

Reaction Score
The guy drafted #34 last year (Jaylin Williams on Thunder) signed a 4-year $8 million deal with the last 2 years non-guaranteed (so $4 mil guaranteed).

A similar deal probably gets Andre into the draft. We'll see.

#30 last in the first round is a really similar contract ($4.5 mil guaranteed over first 2, then years 3 and 4 are team option, with the 4th year being almost double the previous 3 in $). But 2nd round doesn't have the restricted free agency, so a player might actually prefer going early 2nd round.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Unless things have changed, being a second round pick (where the is no requirement to guarantee a contract) will have a good amount of dependence on the team's cap situation. A team over the cap (again, unless things have changed) will have less flexibility, even with 'bargain level' free agents if there is an extra couple million locked onto a guaranteed second round pick.

Once the first round ends things can get dicey in terms of what type of guarantee a player can expect to receive.

Reaction Score
Unless things have changed, being a second round pick (where the is no requirement to guarantee a contract) will have a good amount of dependence on the team's cap situation. A team over the cap (again, unless things have changed) will have less flexibility, even with 'bargain level' free agents if there is an extra couple million locked onto a guaranteed second round pick.

Once the first round ends things can get dicey in terms of what type of guarantee a player can expect to receive.
This changed with the new CBA, 2nd round picks are now treated the same as 1st round picks and you get a salary cap exception to sign the player

Reaction Score
If he’s 4th pick in the 2nd without the combine drills and measurements, the late 1st is more than feasible.

I doubt that Andre's combine results will impact his draft status at all. Every GM in the league knows just how much of a freak athlete he is.

He'll get into the late first if he shows some shooting promise in workouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom