2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was thinking more the agility drills and team play. I think he’ll shine in the fast pace scrimmages.
He needs to play smart and with proper pace or he wont impress at all. The NBA won't tolerate speed with no plan which AJax tends to do more than he should.
IMHO he needs another year of college ball to work out his offensive needs so he can be sure there is a slot for him in the 2 rounds - not just hoping for it..

Reaction Score
Always knew the 240 stuff was exaggerated, but man he can move at 260. Almost +8 wingspan is kinda ridiculous. Such an interesting frame for a big man.

Why "almost +8"... it's exactly +7 lol

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
They have said that about every draft for the last 40 years. Seriously, find me a draft where heading in the consensus was “this draft sucks”. A few people will claim they knew 2013 was weak, but if that was the case, how come Giannis went 15?

There are a bunch of “athletes” in this draft that have not accomplished anything. Maybe this draft is less like the 2013, and more like the terrible drafts from the early 2000’s.
Interesting take and for good reason. Emphasis in modern coaching in AAU is superior athletes who are long is running the show). Fundamentals are left in the dust more often. Fundamentals are basic in a team game; individual ability (create your own shot) is important but it doesn't trump fundamentals in the long run. Individual potential and athleticism attract attention from above with the shrug and "further development" as a a fall back. Karaban, Clingan and Sanogo are all great examples of fundamental coaching. They did not pick that up in the playground. Private schools have the ability to recruit from a larger area than public schools and mostly can pay their coaches more so this does attract coaching talent. I think our staff is on to something about looking deeper on prospects for character and fundamental skills as well as athletic talent. They can see that recruits are not going to make it here if they lack those basics because there mostly isn't time to teach that and blend them into the rotation. Unless a player comes along with truly extraordinary gifts and a great (teachable) attitude (such as Andre Jackson) this is going to be the exception and not the standard.

Maybe this is why we often hear the comment about "a chair would be a better defender on videotape" when a recruits highlight tape is shown on the Boneyard.

Our staff's portal recruiting on last years team was just about perfect. We got upperclassmen experience with offensive firepower (Newton, Calcaterra) and defensive skills (Alleyne) to bolster
an already good team and fill in all the needs. That combination of players and coaching, and experience in the Big East wars just showed up so great on neutral courts under the lights. I am still in awe of that Tournament run. I don't know who made it up but hats off to the guy who coined the "Hurley revenge tour" phrase re: Big East. The NCAA Tournament was a shock and awe tour.

Reaction Score
Interesting take and for good reason. Emphasis in modern coaching in AAU is superior athletes who are long is running the show). Fundamentals are left in the dust more often. Fundamentals are basic in a team game; individual ability (create your own shot) is important but it doesn't trump fundamentals in the long run. Individual potential and athleticism attract attention from above with the shrug and "further development" as a a fall back. Karaban, Clingan and Sanogo are all great examples of fundamental coaching. They did not pick that up in the playground. Private schools have the ability to recruit from a larger area than public schools and mostly can pay their coaches more so this does attract coaching talent. I think our staff is on to something about looking deeper on prospects for character and fundamental skills as well as athletic talent. They can see that recruits are not going to make it here if they lack those basics because there mostly isn't time to teach that and blend them into the rotation. Unless a player comes along with truly extraordinary gifts and a great (teachable) attitude (such as Andre Jackson) this is going to be the exception and not the standard.

Maybe this is why we often hear the comment about "a chair would be a better defender on videotape" when a recruits highlight tape is shown on the Boneyard.

Our staff's portal recruiting on last years team was just about perfect. We got upperclassmen experience with offensive firepower (Newton, Calcaterra) and defensive skills (Alleyne) to bolster
an already good team and fill in all the needs. That combination of players and coaching, and experience in the Big East wars just showed up so great on neutral courts under the lights. I am still in awe of that Tournament run. I don't know who made it up but hats off to the guy who coined the "Hurley revenge tour" phrase re: Big East. The NCAA Tournament was a shock and awe tour.

Re: The bolded part. Skill development doesn't happen in AAU--it's a showcase. If you want to know what kind of coaching a kid received, you talk to his high school coach. It's no coincidence that Hawkins and Sanogo came here with really solid fundamental skills... or that Bouk and Andre didn't. Same is true of our freshman last year.

Also... why isn't creating your own shot efficiently a fundamental skill?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So those measurables suggest a few things.
  • Adama still probably has to shed 10-15 pounds and get quicker. The fact that he moves as well as he does now may help the impression that he can get faster.
  • Hawkins height is good. Arms, not so much, but that weight needs to get closer to 200 pounds. I knew he wasn't 195.
  • Dick is probably going before Hawkins. That frame, arm length and weight is just a more desirable package. I thought that was the case before, but this solidifies it.

Reaction Score
I’ve never understood the Dick before Hawkins argument. Dick was hunted all season by opposing offenses. Imagine what happens when even middling NBA teams get a look at Dick’s defensive short comings. As for Hawkins, his skills directly translate and as he gains weight he will be able to guard most wings in the league.

Reaction Score
So those measurables suggest a few things.
  • Adama still probably has to shed 10-15 pounds and get quicker. The fact that he moves as well as he does now may help the impression that he can get faster.
  • Hawkins height is good. Arms, not so much, but that weight needs to get closer to 200 pounds. I knew he wasn't 195.
  • Dick is probably going before Hawkins. That frame, arm length and weight is just a more desirable package. I thought that was the case before, but this solidifies it.
I actually had the opposite take on Adama. I guess there's the possibility that UConn just listed him below his actual weight, but when I saw the numbers my first thought was the feedback he got from the NBA was they wanted him to get back to 260 to be able to play the 5

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I actually had the opposite take on Adama. I guess there's the possibility that UConn just listed him below his actual weight, but when I saw the numbers my first thought was the feedback he got from the NBA was they wanted him to get back to 260 to be able to play the 5
Al Horford is 6'9" weighs 240. I don't think strength is an issue with Adama. He can hold ground as well as anybody. Bam Adebayo was 6'8.75" and 242 with the same wingspan.

He's a swing 4-5, that's what he's got to be able to do to carve out a career. If he can't guard on the perimeter, he's toast. He's not tall enough to be a full time 5.

Reaction Score
That may actually be team dependent. I would imagine some may see him as a 5, and some a 4. I agree though that most will see a backup 5 for him.

Hopefully whoever likes him sees someone who can be coachable, and improve. He already improved a ton while in college. No reason to think he wont continue. It will all come down to a front office that can look past his height, and maybe his vert, and see a guy they can use.

Reaction Score
Al Horford is 6'9" weighs 240. I don't think strength is an issue with Adama. He can hold ground as well as anybody. Bam Adebayo was 6'8.75" and 242 with the same wingspan.

He's a swing 4-5, that's what he's got to be able to do to carve out a career. If he can't guard on the perimeter, he's toast. He's not tall enough to be a full time 5.
I've been wrong before but I just don't see any way he's able to play the 4 in the NBA. He couldn't even handle the 4 in college and the 4's in the NBA are infinitely better and much faster. I think he carves out a long career as a backup big man who can score off the bench, but expecting him to guard elite perimeter guys is setting him up for failure

Reaction Score
I've been wrong before but I just don't see any way he's able to play the 4 in the NBA. He couldn't even handle the 4 in college and the 4's in the NBA are infinitely better and much faster. I think he carves out a long career as a backup big man who can score off the bench, but expecting him to guard elite perimeter guys is setting him up for failure
Not at his current weight, no.. He'd have to slim down 15-20 lbs for sure, and still maybe not. Who knows.

Reaction Score

Imagine Adama squaring up to Tatum, lol. There's no way he's a 4 in any way.

Reaction Score
Adama is a center. And he is naturally strong as hell...doesn't matter if he gains or loses some weight. His strength won't ever be a problem.

Reaction Score
Always knew the 240 stuff was exaggerated, but man he can move at 260. Almost +8 wingspan is kinda ridiculous. Such an interesting frame for a big man.
for sure. Look at all the big strong post players that tried to back down and bully Sanogo only to never to move him even 1 inch. I would always laugh this past season whenever I saw players trying to do that to Sanogo and say out loud "that's not going work, you better try something else."

Remember when that muscular guy from San Diego St., Ricky Ledee in the last 5 minutes was trying to bully Sanogo? It was like Ledee hit a brick wall and Sanogo didn't budge 1 inch. Ledee was successfull against other many other players in the NCAAT using his bully ball tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom