2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This changed with the new CBA, 2nd round picks are now treated the same as 1st round picks and you get a salary cap exception to sign the player

You (and other nerds) knowledge of this stuff is amazing. I know absolutely nothing about the behind-the-scenes of basketball, and I wouldn't even know where to start if I DID want to know.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Andre's combine results will impact his draft status at all. Every GM in the league knows just how much of a freak athlete he is.

He'll get into the late first if he shows some shooting promise in workouts.
I was thinking more the agility drills and team play. I think he’ll shine in the fast pace scrimmages.

Reaction Score
You (and other nerds) knowledge of this stuff is amazing. I know absolutely nothing about the behind-the-scenes of basketball, and I wouldn't even know where to start if I DID want to know.
I wish there was more useful stuff taking up all the space in my brain, but instead it's filled with useless sports trivia and stats/rules

Reaction Score
I was thinking more the agility drills and team play. I think he’ll shine in the fast pace scrimmages.

The reason why I don't think either of those will really help him is because people are already expecting him to obliterate the agility drills, and to be a connector in team play. The way he moves up this draft is showing folks that he can be an asset despite no discernable NBA scoring skill.

Reaction Score
From Rookie Wire - USA Today. Combine runs May 16-18.

The list of players reportedly invited to compete in the draft combine as of May 1st:
  1. Mouhamed Gueye, Washington State | Source
  2. Coleman Hawkins, Illinois | Source
  3. Andre Jackson Jr., UConn | Source
  4. Bobi Klintman, Wake Forest | Source
  5. Seth Lundy, Penn State | Source
  6. Omari Moore, San Jose State | Source
  7. Grant Nelson, North Dakota State | Source
  8. Jalen Pickett, Penn State | Source
  9. Brandin Podziemski, Santa Clara | Source
  10. Adama Sanogo, UConn | Source
  11. Ben Sheppard, Belmont | Source
The list of players reportedly invited to compete in the G League Elite Camp:
  1. Charles Bediako, Alabama | Source

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From Rookie Wire - USA Today. Combine runs May 16-18.

The list of players reportedly invited to compete in the draft combine as of May 1st:
  1. Mouhamed Gueye, Washington State | Source
  2. Coleman Hawkins, Illinois | Source
  3. Andre Jackson Jr., UConn | Source
  4. Bobi Klintman, Wake Forest | Source
  5. Seth Lundy, Penn State | Source
  6. Omari Moore, San Jose State | Source
  7. Grant Nelson, North Dakota State | Source
  8. Jalen Pickett, Penn State | Source
  9. Brandin Podziemski, Santa Clara | Source
  10. Adama Sanogo, UConn | Source
  11. Ben Sheppard, Belmont | Source
The list of players reportedly invited to compete in the G League Elite Camp:
  1. Charles Bediako, Alabama | Source
I know we are all about Andre here, but Sanogo is the guy who has a real opportunity to open some eyes and flash some NBA power forward skills. Guarding in space, shooting, ball handling, passing. I think he'll surprise people.

Andre is dependent upon a team seeing something and thinking they can use what he does. If he's projected from late 1st to early 2nd I think he needs to stay in the draft.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
i agree that AJ is draymond, as disruptive but 10000x athletic
NOPE
more athletic yes, now for sure
young Draymond had a scoring game and his D was flawless
AJax is not Draymond and Draymond is not AJax

Reaction Score
There are hundreds of guys that would be good enough to play in the NBA if they are in the right situation. Cody Zeller is getting serious playoff minutes right now. I didn't think he was still in the NBA. There are other very good players throughout the world that had a few years in the league and then didn't get re-signed who are all good enough. It seems like if you are out for a year its very very hard to get back in. Shabazz didn't get picked up by a team a couple years ago and because of that he will probably never make it back in. 15 years ago, even if he wasn't in the rotation, he would be on a roster like Ollie was. But GM's seem to value taking chances on younger kids at the end of their benches instead of veteran/mentor type guys.

Reaction Score
Looney is 6'8 without shoes and 7'3" wingspan. Curious to see how Sanogo lines up with that.

I expect about the same. He's also probably 20-30lbs lighter than Sanogo, and I'm guessing has much better measurables for athleticism

Reaction Score

Wait -- you're on the internet and wouldn't know where to start to look up a fact?

pj

Reaction Score
Wait -- you're on the internet and wouldn't know where to start to look up a fact?

Best bet is either the new AI, ChatNBA, or TikTok, not sure which. But my approach would be to try Boneyard search, find a pizza thread, and then give up.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hawkins comes in at 12 and Andre at 32 in this USA Today Mock.

It felt like he was probably the most fouled three point shooter in cbb watching, but happy to see a stat that confirms it.

“UConn’s Jordan Hawkins is a movement shooter perfect for the NBA.

The All-Big East guard leads all players in points scored on handoffs and off-ball screens during the NCAA men’s tournament, per Synergy. But this isn’t just a stellar run for the UConn star during March Madness. He has done this all season.

The NCAA champion drew a ton of contact and led Division I with 23 fouls drawn on 3-pointers, per CBB Analytics. Even if defenders got a hand in his face, Hawkins still managed to shoot 38-for-93 (40.6 percent) on contested 3-pointers, per AI-Powered statistics provided by Stats Perform.”

MJ1

Reaction Score
I expect about the same. He's also probably 20-30lbs lighter than Sanogo, and I'm guessing has much better measurables for athleticism
Sanogo is 6’9 with shoes, 245 Ibs and 7’1 wingspan. Pretty close.

Reaction Score
From reading the mock draft profiles, I think teams are underestimating Hawkins athleticism and his improvement on defense. When teams get him in private workouts, he will really shine and have the opportunity to move up draft boards.

Reaction Score
I repeat myself. There will be teams that pass on Adama that will regret it. Started playing at 16 and look where he is. Got there through hard work, dedication and attitude. Those things will always be there.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Looney is not more athletic but has a lot of savvy on defense and a longer reach. Sanogo is a much better offense player and a bit stronger but a good comparison IMHO

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie did a mock draft pod last Thursday with Adam Spinella (not familiar with him). Hawkins slid all the way to #23, but I thought Spinella made some stupid picks like taking Kris Murray over him for GSW at #19. If I’m GSW I sprint to the podium to draft him in that spot, perfect fit in their offense.

Also, Sam drafted Andre at #30, but he has always been an “AJ guy”, and overall this exercise was what they would do with each pick, not a prediction based on intel

Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie did a mock draft pod last Thursday with Adam Spinella (not familiar with him). Hawkins slid all the way to #23, but I thought Spinella made some stupid picks like taking Kris Murray over him for GSW at #19. If I’m GSW I sprint to the podium to draft him in that spot, perfect fit in their offense.

Also, Sam drafted Andre at #30, but he has always been an “AJ guy”, and overall this exercise was what they would do with each pick, not a prediction based on intel
I think honestly they may have forgotten about him. They both have him higher than that on their big boards and there were decent fits in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom