2023 Giants | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2023 Giants

Reaction Score
Drake Maye is the clear #2 QB for me, though I doubt the Giants lose enough to get him. After that there's a bit of a drop-off but Michael Penix Jr, JJ McCarthy, Quinn Ewers are all pretty intruiguing options in the pick 8-15 range. Of that group I think JJ McCarthy would be my choice, he'd thrive in Daboll's offense with his ability to run
McCarthy of the three names is the only one who could fall in that range and and I agree the best fit for the current system. Penix has been in college since 2018 and will be 24 years old at the draft and has torn his ACL twice. He lacks elite athleticism. I cannot remember a prospect with a similar profile. Ewers wont be drafted in round 1. Charlie Campbell's recent mock has the Giants taking Penix in Round 2.

My prediction is that unless they are in a position to draft Williams or Maye they don't take a QB in Round 1. If they take one its in round 2 (or later) and I would perfer a guy like Ewers in Round 2 over Penix given he is 4 years younger and has a lot more room to develop.

Jones will be the starter next year, I don't see the front office giving him that contract and not trying to help him out with the first round pick unless its a sure fire guy to replace him like Williams or Maye.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Navery, you're willing to throw away a first round pick (likely in the top dozen no less) in McCarthy?

Reaction Score
Navery, you're willing to throw away a first round pick (likely in the top dozen no less) in McCarthy?
Yes, 100%. McCarthy will be a top 10 pick at minimum, the idea of him being a mid-round pick to become a back up is ludicrous. But hopefully we lose enough to get one of the better QBs and it doesn't matter

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Yes, 100%. McCarthy will be a top 10 pick at minimum, the idea of him being a mid-round pick to become a back up is ludicrous. But hopefully we lose enough to get one of the better QBs and it doesn't matter
I'm not questioning where he will be picked, merely where he should be piked. I don't see him as an NFL starter (unless it's a situation like Heineke had) so using a first round pick is just a waste. Let some other team throw away an early first round pick.

Reaction Score
First ESPN mock came out today - Reid's new NFL mock draft: Predicting 32 first-round landing spots for next April

Only 2 QBs in round 1

4. New York Giants (2-5)​

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State

The Giants have already invested heavily in the offensive line during the Joe Schoen regime, but the early returns on Evan Neal have been disappointing. A move inside to guard could be a possibility for the 2022 first-rounder. The Giants are second in the NFL in sacks allowed (37) and lack depth across the board. The value at other positions of need -- wide receiver? -- at this spot isn't there, so let's pair Fashanu with Andrew Thomas to give the team a pair of bookend tackles to better protect quarterback Daniel Jones.

At 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds, Fashanu has the lower-body quickness and effortless pass set to match the movement of rushers. And gaining strength throughout his frame will help him develop as a run-blocker.

Team needs: WR, OT, IOL

Reaction Score
Looks like it's Tyrod against the Jets. Win this week and I start buying in on the season again
Defense should (hopefully) play well again. Breece is probably gonna get his though. The Jets secondary/linebackers are great. Looking like another slugfest.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Defense should (hopefully) play well again. Breece is probably gonna get his though. The Jets secondary/linebackers are great. Looking like another slugfest.
Hopefully we'll use an intelligent approach to this game (not holding my breath).

Against Buffalo, for the first time all season we decided to protect the offensive tackles with formations that put backs/ends on their outside shoulders. We continued that against Washington, we needed to do that from day one.

I'm very worried about our defense this game as the primary reason the D looked good against Buffalo and Washington was because neither team wanted to run the ball. When Washington started running in the second half their offense started working. For whatever reason, Wink doesn't believe it's a problem giving up rushing yards. If we try this against Philly they'll destroy us. If the Jets run more than half of their offensive downs we lose, unless Wink does something to stop it.

Reaction Score
CBS carrying the Patriots again and the Giants get screwed. Ever heard of the Jets and giants rivalry CBS? We can jump through hoops trying to get it on Youtube. Too many games not shown lately because of ridiculous conflicts with the scheduling. 2 weeks in a row for the Giants. Disgusting

Reaction Score
This is a winnable game, but no idea if it'll happen with Tommy DeVito at QB. The offense looks worse than a peewee team

Reaction Score
Whether its DeVito or Tyrod, the game was always going to needed to be won by the defense and run game, neither QB is capable of doing much against an actual defense.

Reaction Score
It’s a yard you go for that let the line win the game stupid.

Reaction Score
Daboll is a clown.
No idea what happened to him over the offseason, he's never aggressive anymore. Not going for it on 4th and 1 deep in Jets territory with your $11M QB is crazy in normal circumstances, it's even worse with an injured kicker. Then the insane playcalling...

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
That game was Pisarcikesque - ughh. You throw to Saquon in the flat for minus 1. Play doesn't work so lets try it again! That play doesn't work so lets hit Saquon with a screen pass sandwiched between 3 linemen!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom