Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It’s also true for other sports. When a team wins virtually all their games against a fairly weak schedule, are they really good? The answer is, nobody can tell. It’s guesswork. The seeding assumed UConn wouldn’t have won all those games playing a tough league schedule. But it’s just as valid to assume they would have, or at least, most of them. Seems like that was the case.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Remember when Esquer was interviewed during game. He was smiling and in great spirits. Down big time.

He knew what was going to happen to the Huskies bullpen
What was he supposed to do being interviewed in a nationally televised game? He knows he had a great lineup and can come back against anyone. He also knows if he comes off like a jerk, it will hurt him and recruiting.
His interview had nothing to do with the UConn bullpen.
PS ask Maryland about our bullpen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, but at least we accountants don’t charge 10 hours for the work squeezed in at the last moment.
This reminds me of an exchange I heard between an accountant and a lawyer. The accountant was complaining that he did all his work up front and then got paid at the end of the job while the attorney got paid upfront and did the work afterwards. The accountant indignantly asked how come attorneys require people to give them money before they do any work? The attorney looked at him and smiled and said “because we can.“

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
What was he supposed to do being interviewed in a nationally televised game? He knows he had a great lineup and can come back against anyone. He also knows if he comes off like a jerk, it will hurt him and recruiting.
His interview had nothing to do with the UConn bullpen.
PS ask Maryland about our bullpen.
post/handle

Don't get so critical. Esquer was unbelievably cool. Recruiting to Stanford is not an issue, is it?

Reaction Score
This reminds me of an exchange I heard between an accountant and a lawyer. The accountant was complaining that he did all his work up front and then got paid at the end of the job while the attorney got paid upfront and did the work afterwards. The accountant indignantly asked how come attorneys require people to give them money before they do any work? The attorney looked at him and smiled and said “because we can.“

LOL. Unfortunately, business lawyers do not get paid in advance. Nice work if you can get it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In the mid 1990's when I was working in Hartford for one of the insurance giants I was told this (alleged) joke (by an actuary).

An accountant, an attorney and an actuary are having lunch together and the conversation moves to the question of whether it is better to have a wife or a mistress.

The accountant says it's better to have a wife as she would be a legal dependent who can be deducted from your tax return and she may also help with a second household income.

The attorney says mistress as a wife could be entitled to half of your assets if the marriage fails.

The debate between the two continues, all the while the actuary quietly eats his meal. The accountant and attorney then turn to the actuary and ask his opinion to which he replies "it's better to have both a wife and a mistress".

Stunned, as the actuary is some that even the accountant and attorney consider stiff and nerdy, the last person who might think on terms like that, then ask why both?

The actuary replies "it's simple. You can tell your wife that you're spending the weekend with your mistress; tell your mistress that you're spending the weekend with your wife then go to the office to work all weekend without hearing anyone complain that you work too much.

Reaction Score
13-12 UConn will be like the Clemson sweet 16 game in 1990. I was there, have the ticket stub and pictures to prove it. At least 50k fans claim to have been @ Brendan Byrne that night. Who, besides a dedicated few (including me), really stayed up to watch all 9 innings last night? :p
I was at Brendan Byrne in March ’90 for both games - regional semis vs Clemson and the final vs Duke. I was a student that year and in the student section. Yes. I stayed up to watch the entire game last night going to bed around 2:30AM and getting up @ 7AM to be at the softball field for a double header starting at 8AM…

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Stanford puts Junior, Quinn Matthews on the bump tonight. He is a kid who has pitched in 24 games, and started 9 of them. His last outing was a relief outing (he got the win) in the regionals v. Cal-Santa Barbara. He pitched 6 innings giving up 4 hits but only striking out 3 while walking 3.

Alex Williams is in play if this goes to Monday.

Hopefully, the Huskies punch another starter right in the mouth.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
A few days back I stated that if we won game one, it would be a good strategy to hold Peterson until game three.

I no longer like that idea (due more to feel than legitimacy of the strategy). I prefer the idea of sending our best arm out there now, while we have the advantage.

I also think that if this goes three games, we may need to score 18-20 runs to win.

-------

An aside: the announcers for the OU-Va Tech game are questioning if the balls are juiced. From what I've seen this weekend, they are absolutely juiced.

Reaction Score
In the mid 1990's when I was working in Hartford for one of the insurance giants I was told this (alleged) joke (by an actuary).

An accountant, an attorney and an actuary are having lunch together and the conversation moves to the question of whether it is better to have a wife or a mistress.

The accountant says it's better to have a wife as she would be a legal dependent who can be deducted from your tax return and she may also help with a second household income.

The attorney says mistress as a wife could be entitled to half of your assets if the marriage fails.

The debate between the two continues, all the while the actuary quietly eats his meal. The accountant and attorney then turn to the actuary and ask his opinion to which he replies "it's better to have both a wife and a mistress".

Stunned, as the actuary is some that even the accountant and attorney consider stiff and nerdy, the last person who might think on terms like that, then ask why both?

The actuary replies "it's simple. You can tell your wife that you're spending the weekend with your mistress; tell your mistress that you're spending the weekend with your wife then go to the office to work all weekend without hearing anyone complain that you work too much.
You know what an actuary is? An accountant without the charisma and personality.

Reaction Score
A few days back I stated that if we won game one, it would be a good strategy to hold Peterson until game three.

I no longer like that idea (due more to feel than legitimacy of the strategy). I prefer the idea of sending our best arm out there now, while we have the advantage.

I also think that if this goes three games, we may need to score 18-20 runs to win.

-------

An aside: the announcers for the OU-Va Tech game are questioning if the balls are juiced. From what I've seen this weekend, they are absolutely juiced.
Actually, I like your suggestion of holding AP back more than I did the other day. We have the lead, but I think they’re the ones with everything to play for, and confidence despite losing. I wonder how well we slept last night.

But it’s not going to be considered because I’m not sure anyone has the guts to tell AP he’s not getting the ball today. I’m looking for him to give us 6 and Cooke to take it home. Unless we’re well behind and saving Cooke, I don’t want anyone else getting the ball today.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Actually, I like your suggestion of holding AP back more than I did the other day. We have the lead, but I think they’re the ones with everything to play for, and confidence despite losing. I wonder how well we slept last night.

But it’s not going to be considered because I’m not sure anyone has the guys to tell AP he’s not getting the ball today. I’m looking for him to give us 6 and Cooke to take it home. Unless we’re well behind and saving Cooke, I don’t want anyone else getting the ball today.
Kirby will bounce back today. He was a little too amped yesterday but got it out of his system.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know what an actuary is? An accountant without the charisma and personality.
I have a friend who was an accountant and was given a manager position for an actuarial group. There were some hard feelings about it, particularly that one of their own wasn’t promoted to the management slot. She called the meeting to clear the air and there spokesman said, essentially, that he didn’t think a non-actuary could appreciate their role. He said “Do you even understand what our role is in the company?“ Her response: “I’ve always assumed your role in the company was so accountants have someone to laugh at.”

Gutsy move that’s either going win big or lose big. In this case, it took the tension out of the room and after a moment of shock they all started laughing at it. Ultimately it worked out.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I have a friend who was an accountant and was given a manager position for an actuarial group. There were some hard feelings about it, particularly that one of their own wasn’t promoted to the management slot. She called the meeting to clear the air and there spokesman said, essentially, that he didn’t think a non-actuary could appreciate their role. He said “Do you even understand what our role is in the company?“ Her response: “I’ve always assumed your role in the company was so accountants have someone to laugh at.”

Gutsy move that’s either going win big or lose big. In this case, it took the tension out of the room and after a moment of shock they all started laughing at it. Ultimately it worked out.
I had a standard line back then about the difference between accountants and actuaries.

An accountant will 'eyeball' the run rate of the most recent months' claim, say "it looks like a bit more than $490k a month" and accrue $500k. An actuary will spend three days on regression tables, triangles built on historical claim data and reforecasts of projected future claims and send a note to the accountants that they believe there are $492,609.775643 in unreceived claims. The accountant will take that number and accrue $500k.

Reaction Score
Two tall boy "Gansetts" with my large early pasta dinner. Now a couple hour nap and I'm ready to go.

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Have some confidence for tonight's team. Try not to be superstitious. It may be a struggle but UConn can beat the Stanford team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom