Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ouch, 10:30 PM start to a baseball game? I’m glad it’s on a weekend.

I’m not complaining at all, I’m just glad we’re still playing baseball!

Reaction Score
Saturday 1st game is a big boost, gives them the opportunity to start Gallagher on normal rest on Saturday if they choose to go that right. Though I'm skeptical they would

Reaction Score
Yes, looks like @huskymedic came through with his "request" for Saturday, Sunday, Monday games for UConn. At the very least I will be able to listen/watch the games on Saturday and Sunday, and perhaps get in some posting to these threads as well if I'm not dead tired. Between going to the Connecticut Sea Music Festival and following these games, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm rather exhausted next weekend. Still, for me this is as good the UConn baseball schedule was going to get in reducing the conflict between these two events.

Reaction Score

I like the matchup. I stated some reasons in another thread as well:
1) Boys get to go against a blue blood. More motivation if that's even possible.
2) Crowd I don't think will be as much of a factor as would a Texas St who's fans would be much like MD.
3) Several of our kids get to go home and because of that I think we have a good fan turnout.
4) Stanford has a good lineup, but our starting pitching has shut down the likes of Wake, MD & Xavier, some of the top offenses in the country in smaller park's nonetheless.
5) Don't believe Pitching is a strength of Stanford.

Bottom line is I think we can slow them down with our starting pitching. The key is our offense. Have to be better than what we were this past weekend. Other than Padilla, Smith and maybe Donlan, the rest need to find their groove. Especially need Stock, Huber and Dana to pick it up offensively. Beat the best to make it to Omaha. Don't think they would want it any other way. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I like the matchup. I stated some reasons in another thread as well:
1) Boys get to go against a blue blood. More motivation if that's even possible.
2) Crowd I don't think will be as much of a factor as would a Texas St who's fans would be much like MD.
3) Several of our kids get to go home and because of that I think we have a good fan turnout.
4) Stanford has a good lineup, but our starting pitching has shut down the likes of Wake, MD & Xavier, some of the top offenses in the country in smaller park's nonetheless.
5) Don't believe Pitching is a strength of Stanford.

Bottom line is I think we can slow them down with our starting pitching. The key is our offense. Have to be better than what we were this past weekend. Other than Padilla, Smith and maybe Donlan, the rest need to find their groove. Especially need Stock, Huber and Dana to pick it up offensively. Beat the best to make it to Omaha. Don't think they would want it any other way. Go Huskies!!
Stock has definitely been slumping but Huber and Dana were not bad in regionals. Both hit over .300 and Dana had several doubles, Huber several walks.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Only common opponent was USC. We beat them 7-1, Stanford swept 3 games from them, pretty much all blowouts, closest game was the 1st, a 7-1 Stanford win. Reed, the USC pitcher we beat, did not pitch against Stanford.

Reaction Score
Some more of my oddball UConn observations. The strength of the team is the starting pitching. If they get good starting pitching (which they usually do), they will no doubt be in the game and have a pretty good chance to get a win. The offense has been getting a lot of flack for its periodic slumps, but to me that is the nature of the game itself. You go into a slump, hopefully you make the needed adjustments. And besides, for the most part the offense has been on its game much more than it has been off this season.

Aside from its starting pitching, the thing that strikes me about the rest of team is how well balanced they are, there are no any real weak spots in the lineup. The starting position players may have some weaknesses in their game, but but there are no real weak spots in the lineup. Individual strengths of each player out weigh their weaknesses. That is a nice plus. And as for the bullpen, this is probably the deepest relief group UConn has had since I started following the team. There are plenty of arms to go to in case someone doesn't have their stuff in a particular game.

Another thing that impresses me is how much the defense improved during the course of the season. At the beginning of the season it was a rare thing for the UConn infield to turn a double play. Now they do it pretty frequently, and that is a big plus.

Reaction Score
Just a fantastic weekend. Temps in the mid-70s to low 80s and clear skies. Wish I could be there. Beautiful campus and stadium.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would like to see a slightly creative approach this weekend.

If we pull out game one, I would start Enzo in game two. I like our odds of winning one of the remaining two a whole lot better if our #3 starter faces their #2, followed by our #1 facing their #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom