Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s Palo Alto, CA. Super-Regional vs #2 Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Heading to Stanford today to get my tickets. 5 minutes down the road. Love it and our Huskies will be here this coming weekend.

Are you the guy with all the cell phones? Bring 'em all and sit right behind home plate and have at least two of them going at all times. Texting and talking simultaneously.

You can become the UConn equivalent to Run DMV.

Reaction Score
beat me to it.
No I have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and the running days are over. I have accepted it and all I would like to see in my final year is another National Championship and a baseball trip to the World Series and possibly a National Championship

Reaction Score
So we learned something about the pitching this weekend. We learned that they trust seven guys: AP, Gallagher, Enzo, Cooke, Coe, Kirby and Willis. Having only a three game series this time, my guess is we don't intend to pitch anyone else -- O'Donnell, Chudoba, Afthim or Sullivan -- unless absolutely necessary. (Given the year he had, bailing out on Sullivan this quickly is beyond my comprehension, but whatever).

I'm sure the plan is that either AP or Gallagher gets the ball game one (I assume it will be AP but since the second game is as big as the first there is a lot of logic in giving AP one more day's rest), the other game 2 and Enzo, if necessary, game 3. Frankly, as long as you get, say, 16 innings between them, that leaves 11 innings. Each of Cooke, Coe and Kirby is quite capable of taking the ball from a starter who didn't get blown out early and getting to Willis. My guess is that is the plan.

Of course, as Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Reaction Score
Are you the guy with all the cell phones? Bring 'em all and sit right behind home plate and have at least two of them going at all times. Texting and talking simultaneously.

No I have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and the running days are over. I have accepted it and all I would like to see in my final year is another National Championship and a baseball trip to the World Series and possibly a National Championship

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So we learned something about the pitching this weekend. We learned that they trust seven guys: AP, Gallagher, Enzo, Cooke, Coe, Kirby and Willis. Having only a three game series this time, my guess is we don't intend to pitch anyone else -- O'Donnell, Chudoba, Afthim or Sullivan -- unless absolutely necessary. (Given the year he had, bailing out on Sullivan this quickly is beyond my comprehension, but whatever).

I'm sure the plan is that either AP or Gallagher gets the ball game one (I assume it will be AP but since the second game is as big as the first there is a lot of logic in giving AP one more day's rest), the other game 2 and Enzo, if necessary, game 3. Frankly, as long as you get, say, 16 innings between them, that leaves 11 innings. Each of Cooke, Coe and Kirby is quite capable of taking the ball from a starter who didn't get blown out early and getting to Willis. My guess is that is the plan.

Of course, as Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

There is a line of thinking that you save your ace for game #2

If you lose game #1, you have your ace who can change momentum and force game 3. If you win game 1, you have your ace to close out series.

Reaction Score

If you lose game #1, you have your ace who can change momentum and force game 3. If you win game 1, you have your ace to close out series.
I think the odds that Penders does it for psychological reasons is 0.00%. If it's done, it will be done because no one is starting Friday and coming back Sunday anyway, so if he could benefit from an extra days rest give it to him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m sorry to hear it. I remember you as one of southeastern Connecticut greatest runners.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope your desire for UConn comes true
You are a brave soul Bill

Reaction Score

Don't forget the bucket hat!

Reaction Score
Saturday 1st game is a big boost, gives them the opportunity to start Gallagher on normal rest on Saturday if they choose to go that route. Though I'm skeptical they would
I'm sure the plan is that either AP or Gallagher gets the ball game one (I assume it will be AP but since the second game is as big as the first there is a lot of logic in giving AP one more day's rest), the other game 2 and Enzo, if necessary, game 3.

I think the odds that Penders does it for psychological reasons is 0.00%. If it's done, it will be done because no one is starting Friday and coming back Sunday anyway, so if he could benefit from an extra days rest give it to him.

Reaction Score

-> Stanford Super Regional

Stanford is the tournament's No. 2 overall seed behind Tennessee, but the Cardinal barely made it out of regionals after being pushed hard by Texas State. UConn, similarly, is a mid-major program with a sterling record this season, except the Huskies are arguably an even tougher opponent in this format.

Austin Peterson, Pat Gallagher and Enzo Stefanoni are all high-quality starting pitchers, and the former two shined during regionals. Stanford is not going to have a significant advantage on the mound to start these games.
Although the hosts might be the favorite and can run out an elite lineup, UConn is a worthwhile upset pick here.

Prediction: UConn in 3 <-

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I like this for a few reasons.

Additionally (and I posted this comment earlier), if we win game one, I would seriously consider starting Enzo game two. I like our chances of winning the necessary one of the final two games with those pitching matchups a lot better than our one against (likely) their two followed by our three against their three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom