2022 Recruiting Thread | Page 32 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Ontario Canada QB Nick Orr:

the Ontario kid throws ropes. Robotic video of just one perfect throw on an out after the next. He's from the horse country town where lots of NHL players have big spreads. Probably not well known to much of the 48 states scholarship programs.

Reaction Score
First, I want to put out a big thank you to huskymedic. His updates are terrific - timely, factual, balanced, you name it, he simply does a wonderful job. Again, thanks medic!

Next, it’s been a long and brutal stretch as a Husky football fan, so it is encouraging to see some excitement. Those of us who follow recruiting at this level know that you don’t really ever know what you have with these kids until they put the pads on and it gets real. We do know from the past that Edsall can assess and develop talent and there is no doubt in my mind that we will see much better athletes than under his predecessor. It’s going to take some more patience, but I think we’re moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To sign 7 out of 11 known recruits form Florida, our highest rated non-transfer recruit since 2013 from Texas, 2 kids the staff coveted from Pennsylvania, keeping a top CT kid home, and 1 more commitment out there, I'd say this could be our best class in a long long time. Kudos to Randy and the entire staff they are getting it done in impressive fashion considering they didn't play a down last year.

Reaction Score
To sign 7 out of 11 known recruits form Florida, our highest rated non-transfer recruit since 2013 from Texas, 2 kids the staff coveted from Pennsylvania, keeping a top CT kid home, and 1 more commitment out there, I'd say this could be our best class in a long long time. Kudos to Randy and the entire staff they are getting it done in impressive fashion considering they didn't play a down last year.
Well said - it’s a sea change improvement by the staff. It is not an incremental change. It should not be minimized the lept they have made through hard work and the willingness to make necessary changes. And so many of the older guys who post here, tend to underestimate the value of “youthful enthusiasm”. It’s out there this year in both the younger staff members and the recruits and dare I even say the older and most senior staff members .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL - pretty selective - I believe UConn took a big hit the previous year. So combine the two years. But true the big schools have 3 and 4 star kids on the bench who are incented to transfer because they would get immediate playing time.
At any rate, it worked out great and was timed perfectly with the Great Recruiting Pivot.
Again, you don't understand what is going on in the football portal. Did you read the article from 24/7 that I linked? In the 2019/2020 transfer cycle, only 27% of P5 transfers ended up at another P5 school and only 53% of P5 transfers ended up at an FBS school. The 2020/2021 transfer cycle is looking like it will be much worse outcomes for P5 transfers due to the sheer volume of transfers.

As for UConn transfers over the past 2 years, according to 24/7, there have been 28. This is about average or below average relative to FBS schools. For local schools, Rutgers has had 30, BC 25, Syracuse 22, Maryland 35, Penn St. 27, Virginia Tech 33, UMass 29, West Virginia 32. Some other schools I looked at: Nebraska 38, Michigan 32, Florida St. 30, but the most surprising numbers come from the top 3 P5 football programs with Ohio St. at 9, Clemson at 11, and Alabama at 21. In other words, the top recruits are willing to stay at the top programs if they are winning even though they may be on the bench.

Reaction Score
Again, you don't understand what is going on in the football portal. Did you read the article from 24/7 that I linked? In the 2019/2020 transfer cycle, only 27% of P5 transfers ended up at another P5 school and only 53% of P5 transfers ended up at an FBS school. The 2020/2021 transfer cycle is looking like it will be much worse outcomes for P5 transfers due to the sheer volume of transfers.

As for UConn transfers over the past 2 years, according to 24/7, there have been 28. This is about average or below average relative to FBS schools. For local schools, Rutgers has had 30, BC 25, Syracuse 22, Maryland 35, Penn St. 27, Virginia Tech 33, UMass 29, West Virginia 32. Some other schools I looked at: Nebraska 38, Michigan 32, Florida St. 30, but the most surprising numbers come from the top 3 P5 football programs with Ohio St. at 9, Clemson at 11, and Alabama at 21. In other words, the top recruits are willing to stay at the top programs if they are winning even though they may be on the bench.
Your conclusions may be right, but without doing in depth objective reviews of all schools it's pretty presumptuous to say someone doesn't understand what's going on in the portal, as if you assuredly do.

You read it one way, others may read it another, and there's always outliers.

For example, maybe the recruits at the three schools you showed with "the most surprising numbers" were better vetted by superior staffs and actually belong there.

Then, if you say Alabama (with 21 in the portal) belongs in the grouping with Clemson and Ohio St, why doesn't Syracuse with only 22 portal entrants? Their number is closer to Ohio St than to Nebraska.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Texas TE/ATH to BC

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
#1 rated play in NH with family connections to UConn commits to Buffalo. While many on the staff seem to be following Jackson, he opted not to camp here and he was never offered. Since he's a new england kid with family connections and at least early in the process seemed to want to be a part of UConn I think he is one to keep an eye on in the years ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your conclusions may be right, but without doing in depth objective reviews of all schools it's pretty presumptuous to say someone doesn't understand what's going on in the portal, as if you assuredly do.

For example, maybe the recruits at the three schools you showed with "the most surprising numbers" were better vetted by superior staffs and actually belong there.

Then, if you say Alabama (with 21 in the portal) belongs in the grouping with Clemson and Ohio St, why doesn't Syracuse with only 22 portal entrants? Their number is closer to Ohio St than to Nebraska.
The average school has about 20 kids in the portal this year so UConn losing 28 kids over 2 years seems to put UConn in the middle or below for transfers based on the total numbers of transfers last year. There are many articles published on the subject and I linked one so I didn’t add up the total for over 100 schools myself. As for the 3 top schools I mentioned, I think some people think many highly rated kids transfer if they are not starting, but that’s not the case at Ohio St., Clemson, and Alabama which I think speaks to team culture.

Reaction Score
but that’s not the case at Ohio St., Clemson, and Alabama which I think speaks to team culture.

probably legacy plays a huge part in this. being on a winner then being patient enough to get your turn for a year or 2 before graduating...

Reaction Score

I agree, a narrow analysis which doesn’t account for a whole host of variables.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but could 247 be any more asleep at the wheel? They are missing 2 commits altogether, and have only rated 3 of the 9 commits they have listed and of those for 2 or 3 of them they didn't even have UConn on their list of teams recruiting them before they committed. Not a great look for sure.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but could 247 be any more asleep at the wheel? They are missing 2 commits altogether, and have only rated 3 of the 9 commits they have listed and of those for 2 or 3 of them they didn't even have UConn on their list of teams recruiting them before they committed. Not a great look for sure.
Not for nuttin’ but Rivals isn’t much better w/ only 8 of 11 commits listed (despite have a dedicated UConn page in StorrsCentral). Still missing Brinson, McGill and Jean (and Jean has a Rivals rating already). It’s a farce.

Reaction Score
If you want recruiting coverage and rankings, your fan base has to subscribe to the service. It's pretty simple.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The average school has about 20 kids in the portal this year so UConn losing 28 kids over 2 years seems to put UConn in the middle or below for transfers based on the total numbers of transfers last year. There are many articles published on the subject and I linked one so I didn’t add up the total for over 100 schools myself. As for the 3 top schools I mentioned, I think some people think many highly rated kids transfer if they are not starting, but that’s not the case at Ohio St., Clemson, and Alabama which I think speaks to team culture.

This discussion has digressed. The original question is about whether or not UConn suffered the exodus predicted by some on this board for sitting out the 2020 season. Its all about the period since August 2020, efforts to mesh 2019 and 2018 activity in this discussion are just silly attempts to distract.

So lets use our old AAC as our peer group;
Outbound transfers since Aug 2020:
UConn: 7
Temple: 18
Cincy: 9
ECU: 14
Houston: 12
Memphis: 26
SMU: 9
Tulane: 10
Tulsa: 6
UCF: 16
USF: 17
Navy: 7

Conclusion - UConn has faired well, others were wrong.

Reaction Score
This discussion has digressed. The original question is about whether or not UConn suffered the exodus predicted by some on this board for sitting out the 2020 season. Its all about the period since August 2020, efforts to mesh 2019 and 2018 activity in this discussion are just silly attempts to distract.

So lets use our old AAC as our peer group;
Outbound transfers since Aug 2020:
UConn: 7
Temple: 18
Cincy: 9
ECU: 14
Houston: 12
Memphis: 26
SMU: 9
Tulane: 10
Tulsa: 6
UCF: 16
USF: 17
Navy: 7

Conclusion - UConn has faired well, others were wrong.
Try the full body of work from September 2019 to December 2020. By then whoever was leaving had left.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom