2022 Recruiting Thread | Page 31 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
We have watched recruiting by a UCONN staff targeted to the highest level of Play for 20 years. Pivoted?

What I remember of the most successful of the early years - first 6 years or so - Rob Ambrose pulling in MD kids from his earliest days in football with his Dad; Todd Orlando going to Western PA for great talent; Terry Richardson time after time plucking solid fast and developable guys from Florida. Relationship sales. They got to a warm call from a cold call quickly ... because they had developed decades of traveling these roads. And they were personable and good at selling.

Today? I suspect the upfront work by Ryan Steinberg and Mike Zyskowski is crucial. They are knowledgeable about kids and fast moves in development on a timely manner. Allen, Dottin-Carter, Perkins are reliable warhorse veterans that punch out priority targets. Smith has been a recruiting coordinator for 10 years; he did a great job at UALBANY. The Carrezola, Chapman, Horton, Petrarca, Weiss, Moyseenko collaboration works well in touching all the bases ... and texts, whatsapp, hangouts ... for great coverage. I have no take on Spanos. Randy has been - going back to Syracuse - a dynamic one on one recruiter. He is old school thought. Which brings us to Corey: the State of Connecticut lucked out. He is what I wish I could've been for my Dad. All in. polishing the refined product of Randy and pushing the envelope farther and farther. He would not be as effective anywhere else ... he has passion and commitment like no other.

Reaction Score
OMG, really? You’ll “give Corey credit” as if you actually have a stamp of a approval here that has validity?

Here’s my take, Edsall came into the 2.0 era with a set of staff hires that were mostly misfires. He tried to let Lashlee and Crocker procure the talent they liked but it just didn’t work. Now we are entering season three of the 2.0B staffing line up and that continuity is bearing fruit because the collective has just plain better at their job. They are simply on the same page; all of the coaches. They are organized.

The MBB could still be under Ollie and doing whatever it used to do and I think Corey and the young staff members would be in exactly the same place this morning.
Over-all -I agree with you about the misfires. You need to cut Lashlee some slack. His offense scored too quickly so it put a bad defense back on the field - so he was only here for a year - LOL.
I supported Randy hiring his son because I think the head coach should be able to hire whoever he wants - assuming not a criminal. But, I did not expect much - and that was a mistake - he really works at it, is open to new ideas and connects with the recruits as do some of the other assistants like CoachDott . Having to hire on the cheap made Randy hire younger guys and that ironically helped recruiting. They needed guys open to fresh ideas.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Recruiting dead period begins tonight through the last Sunday in July. This was the last weekend for visits this spring. Fingers crossed our one missing commit decides to publicly follow through tonight.

Reaction Score
Recruiting dead period begins tonight through the last Sunday in July. This was the last weekend for visits this spring. Fingers crossed our one missing commit decides to publicly follow through tonight.

Maybe I’m missing your point but kids can publicly announce their commitment @ anytime - no?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m missing your point but kids can publicly announce their commitment @ anytime - no?
Oh yeah, most definitely of course..... Just feels like the momentum of the entire decision sort peters out after this weekend.

I could have been more clear in my post.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, most definitely of course..... Just feels like the momentum of the entire decision sort peters out after this weekend.

I could have been more clear in my post.
Can’t remember who it was in one of the last few classes that waited till 4th of July to make his announcement because he wanted to make a “big bang” that day.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can’t remember who it was in one of the last few classes that waited till 4th of July to make his announcement because he wanted to make a “big bang” that day.
You can't remember? But you remember everything!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Right on cue.....
and we dont seem to be in the hunt here

Reaction Score
One major point about recruiting this year. I read that 2022 commits are way down from previous years. Why? With the extra year of eligibility for players, the transfer portal, and the annual roster add limit of 25, there may not be as many scholarships available to class of 2022 HS players. The way recruiting math works now, for every kid you take from the transfer portal, it means there is one less scholarship available for a HS senior. That could be motivating kids to commit if they have a commitable offer.

Here are some examples.

Commits by end of June each year per school:

UNC: 2022 6, 2021 15, 2020 17.

Clemson: 2022 7, 2021 13, 2020 18.

Wisconsin: 2022: 7, 2021 15, 2020 11

Louisville: 2022 4, 2021 16, 2020 17

Also, doesn't anybody find it odd that both Rutgers and BC currently have top 10 recruiting classes? Sure, it seems both schools have had an uptick in recruiting quality, but the main reason is that BC has 18 commits (the most in FBS) and Rutgers has 13 commits (near the top of FBS).

Reaction Score
One major point about recruiting this year. I read that 2022 commits are way down from previous years. Why? With the extra year of eligibility for players, the transfer portal, and the annual roster add limit of 25, there may not be as many scholarships available to class of 2022 HS players. The way recruiting math works now, for every kid you take from the transfer portal, it means there is one less scholarship available for a HS senior. That could be motivating kids to commit if they have a commitable offer.

Here are some examples.

Commits by end of June each year per school:

UNC: 2022 6, 2021 15, 2020 17.

Clemson: 2022 7, 2021 13, 2020 18.

Wisconsin: 2022: 7, 2021 15, 2020 11

Louisville: 2022 4, 2021 16, 2020 17

Also, doesn't anybody find it odd that both Rutgers and BC currently have top 10 recruiting classes? Sure, it seems both schools have had an uptick in recruiting quality, but the main reason is that BC has 18 commits (the most in FBS) and Rutgers has 13 commits (near the top of FBS).
Question - Was there some special rule that the covid extension wouldn’t count against ships? I seem to recall someone telling me that but perhaps I am wrong?

Reaction Score
Coginchaug Regional (CT) > St Thomas More (CT) WR/DB/P Evan Faiella (6-3 225lb):

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom