2022 NCAA Softball Tournament | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 NCAA Softball Tournament

Reaction Score
Isn't this, more or less, the Oklahoma invitational? Something like 52-2 regular season.

That is the kind of team you see in a sport where you will find people saying "I don't normally watch this sport but...I want to watch THEM" And you tune in and see them beat a team by 20. That is just sick!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Isn't this, more or less, the Oklahoma invitational? Something like 52-2 regular season.

That is the kind of team you see in a sport where you will find people saying "I don't normally watch this sport but...I want to watch THEM" And you tune in and see them beat a team by 20. That is just sick!
Sort of. In the last conference series of the season, Oklahoma swept Oklahoma State. A week later, they met in the Big 12 Championship with the Cowgirls getting the upset win. So, you never know.
And last season, the Sooners entered the NCAA tournament with only 2 losses but did lose 2 games in the CWS, on their way to winning the Championship.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I just watched the first 2 games, neither went the way I wanted. While I don't dislike Arkansas, I will typically root for Texas in many cases as I have family in Austin that does. As I have said, I'm not a Mike White fan, but I was still rooting. While they could still pull it out with 2 wins, it just doesn't look likely.

Then Clemson lost to OK State. While I basically expected that result, I can't help but root for a new program like Clemson to make the World Series. Like the case for Texas, Clemson isn't dead, but it doesn't look good.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
That catcher's interference call. smh.

Ehhh....... Hannah Bowen is at 155 pitches. So hopefully we can bark back.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not a big softball fan in general but got to tune into OK and Jocelyn Alo.

ESPN had a nice bio-video on her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UCF bonehead play to pitch to Alo with players on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs ignoring the open base. Alo effortlessly clears the fence by 50 feet. 3-0 game becomes 6-0.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCF bonehead play to pitch to Alo with players on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs ignoring the open base. Alo effortlessly clears the fence by 50 feet. 3-0 game becomes 6-0.
I remember that from watching some of Oklahoma last year--they just don't let you get away with making mistakes against them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona St. and Northwestern are currently in the 10th inning of Game 1 of their series.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess Arizona St. got tired of playing in the 1tth. Gave the game away. Northwestern got the winning run without getting anything out of the infield. Terrible throw to first, pitch that got away from the catcher, just terrible end to the game for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okie St. knocked out Clemson, first to advance to OKC.

Texas beat Arkansas today to force a third game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon St. takes game 1 against Stanford. I guess they lost A BUNCH of games by 1 run this year (6 in a row against Washington and UCLA). Something finally clicked for them and they're getting Ws instead of Ls. Now one win from OKC, who would've predicted that a week ago?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Duke made UCLA work for it, but Bruins w/ a late rally to win Game 1 3-2. Winning pitcher Fairamo helped her own cause w/ a 2 run single in the bottom of the 6th, the go ahead runs.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mixed bag for this fan. Happy NW won, always rooted for them in the B1G. Never mind who they were playing. Kind of sorry Duke lost and Clemson was eliminated, as they are young programs and was rooting for them, but not expecting anything different, really.

No horse in the Oregon State / Stanford tilt, just glad to know one will get to the WS. As to Oklahoma, what can you say. I don't like them, I have never rooted for them, but they are clearly the best until they aren't.

Oh, and a happy result in Starkville. Will watch today's games on tape, eventually. After my wife gets up, with her illness she sleeps into the afternoon.

Reaction Score

They’re the “UCONN Women’s basketball” of the softball world for sure.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No surprise, Oklahoma advances. The first 2 teams to move on to the WCWS are both from the Big 12, the 2 Oklahoma schools.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Florida beat Virginia Tech to force a third game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was watching the UCF loss to the Sooners today. The announcers, Pam Ward and Jenny Dalton-Hill, kept discussing how the UCF players were especially "chirpy" (or chippy?) towards Oklahoma, especially their starting pitcher. It was also discussed how their coach was fully behind her player's behavior.
Must be something in the Orlando water...:rolleyes:

I am wondering if these two teams will be in the Big 12 at the same time, might make for some interesting matchups.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mississippi St. out.

Arkansas out.

SEC is down to Florida, might get shut out of the World Series entirely. EPIC FAIL!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona and Texas both on to OKC, both unseeded teams.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State and Arkansas game ended within literally 5 seconds of each other.

Ouch for Arkansas. We are feeling good however - with our upcoming renovations, losing basically 2 players off the roster, a nice looking recruiting class coming in, and expected to hit the portal pretty hard for hopefully another pitcher and a power hitter...... nothing to feel but good. And we feel that first game should've been ours - robbed on a stupid catcher interference call.

Arkansas is not feeling good, however. That University keeps sweeping thru the entire regular season just to lose their first series of the year in May or June. Sad Woooo Sooiieee.

I could've seen the Texas comeback coming tho. They were a tough team, and a tough draw to get. That 0-7 first game loss isn't indicative of their overall play - it was an error fueled game and Texas' pitchers were just getting started. On the other hand, I knew Clemson stood no chance against Oklahoma State.

The Florida vs Virginia Tech series? Could go either way. I'll root for Florida to get one SEC team in.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon St.-Stanford series is just getting crapped on. Missed almost the entirety of Game 1 due to Arizona St.-Northwestern going so long. Game 2 is supposed to be airing right now, but I sure can't find it. The channel that is supposed to have it is showing lacrosse.

edit--never mind, they've moved it to ESPNU, pre-empting the replay of the WCBB Championship Game. OSU up 2-0 early and already chased Stanford's starting pitcher.

Reaction Score
Softball is my second favorite women's sport after basketball, and for years I've wished Vandy would create a softball program. I can't recall university officials addressing it directly, but reporters have said over the years that the university is landlocked and has no place to build a stadium with the accompanying parking. I guess it's true. They probably could make some sort of arrangement for an off-campus facility, either building one or sharing one, but that just doesn't seem like an attractive option for a college program.

Anyway, they recently announced they will start a women's volleyball program in 2025, so any hope I had for softball is probably more farfetched than ever. It's OK. Volleyball is a good sport, too, though I don't enjoy watching it on TV nearly as much as hoops or softball. Anyway, I've got my hands full trying to rebuild the basketball program. A guy only has so many hours in a day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom