2022 Coaching Carousel Begins… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Coaching Carousel Begins…

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
In case you were wondering…

Not pursue coaching opportunities? Right. He wasn't after he left Florida...nor after he left Ohio state. Meyer will coach as soon as someone will hold their nose and hire him. Someone who cares more about winning than hiring a leader with integrity and class.

Reaction Score
Not pursue coaching opportunities? Right. He wasn't after he left Florida...nor after he left Ohio state. Meyer will coach as soon as someone will hold their nose and hire him. Someone who cares more about winning than hiring a leader with integrity and class.

He will end up somewhere cheesey like Missouri State. I don’t think the NIL era is a good fit for him.

Plus Nebraska is such a toxic joke atm, adding Urban to the equation would send it over a cliff.

Let’s hope it happens.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He will end up somewhere cheesey like Missouri State. I don’t think the NIL era is a good fit for him.

Plus Nebraska is such a toxic joke atm, adding Urban to the equation would send it over a cliff.

Let’s hope it happens.
How about Meyer at Auburn? It's a horrible job in the shadow of Bama...and they might just be desperate enough?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
These early season firings show how stupid many of these athletic directors really are. Alberts canned Frost and ate $7.5 million of a buyout so he could lose 49-14 to Oklahoma. Money well spent. Alberts should be fired if Nebraska does not beat Indiana on 10/1, because then Alberts will have just pissed away $7.5 million in three weeks for no return.

I also don't get the point of firing Herm Edwards now. He isn't the greatest coach ever, but he is OK and Arizona State is just an OK program.

People who think it is OK to fire a coach off one bad loss have likely never been in a position of authority or leadership, nor do they understand economics. If coaches think that you are a hair trigger AD, then two things will happen: 1) some coaches won't come play for you, and 2) those that are willing to come will demand more money and bigger buyouts. Coaches at more stable programs will use the fact that coaches at Nebraska/ASU/(name your wannabe program that chews through coaches) are always on the hot seat against those programs in recruiting, so some of the top prospects won't come. It becomes a self-reinforcing cycle of competitive and financial failure for the program.

Reaction Score
These early season firings show how stupid many of these athletic directors really are. Alberts canned Frost and ate $7.5 million of a buyout so he could lose 49-14 to Oklahoma. Money well spent. Alberts should be fired if Nebraska does not beat Indiana on 10/1, because then Alberts will have just pissed away $7.5 million in three weeks for no return.

I also don't get the point of firing Herm Edwards now. He isn't the greatest coach ever, but he is OK and Arizona State is just an OK program.

People who think it is OK to fire a coach off one bad loss have likely never been in a position of authority or leadership, nor do they understand economics. If coaches think that you are a hair trigger AD, then two things will happen: 1) some coaches won't come play for you, and 2) those that are willing to come will demand more money and bigger buyouts. Coaches at more stable programs will use the fact that coaches at Nebraska/ASU/(name your wannabe program that chews through coaches) are always on the hot seat against those programs in recruiting, so some of the top prospects won't come. It becomes a self-reinforcing cycle of competitive and financial failure for the program.
The Edwards firing was just a matter of finding an excuse to do it. The NCAA investigation killed anything good he had going there, lost 5 coaches including his coordinators as well as his starting QB and RB all in the same year. So when what is perceived to be a lesser team, a directional no less, comes into your house and beats you easily enough with their backup QB, you've got your excuse to fire him.

Reaction Score
These early season firings show how stupid many of these athletic directors really are. Alberts canned Frost and ate $7.5 million of a buyout so he could lose 49-14 to Oklahoma. Money well spent. Alberts should be fired if Nebraska does not beat Indiana on 10/1, because then Alberts will have just pissed away $7.5 million in three weeks for no return
Don’t worry… for another $1m they found a scapegoat:

Reaction Score
The Edwards firing was just a matter of finding an excuse to do it. The NCAA investigation killed anything good he had going there, lost 5 coaches including his coordinators as well as his starting QB and RB all in the same year. So when what is perceived to be a lesser team, a directional no less, comes into your house and beats you easily enough with their backup QB, you've got your excuse to fire him.
To be fair the QB did him a favor by leaving.

Reaction Score

Come on dude. Herm Edwards wasn’t about one bad loss. They are bad and they are under investigation.

Nebraska Football has more money than they know what to do with. $7.5M is covered by the sponsors on the billboards at the stadium or one home game.

And LOL if you think firing that idiot Frost was Trev Alberts’ call alone. It’s been crystal clear that the boosters and the administration backed him up. Frost should have been let go last year. This was a mercy firing.

Reaction Score
Don’t worry… for another $1m they found a scapegoat:

This after the acting head coach fell on his sword at the post game and accepted 100% responsibility like 5 times. It was a pathetic display.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Does a school being "under investigation" really matter anymore? All the schools can legally pay their players if they want. What rule is there to break?

Reaction Score
Does a school being "under investigation" really matter anymore? All the schools can legally pay their players if they want. What rule is there to break?

This one may actually be a bigger deal than most other "normal" NCAA violations because they did it during the pandemic.

Reaction Score

Yes. And if they are looking for a reason to can someone even more so.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This one may actually be a bigger deal than most other "normal" NCAA violations because they did it during the pandemic.

Has there ever been an SEC coach fired for buying a player plane tickets? Ever?

Didn't one of Bruce Pearl's assistants get arrested for a kickback scheme involving a wealth manager that was embezzling from former players?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
These early firings are more about getting someone new in place ASAP so the new coach can hit the ground running in recruiting. At least, that was the original justification I saw.

If a coach has to go, the coach has to go. I am not arguing for letting a coach finish the year because it is the right thing to do or something stupid like that. I am saying that firing a coach off a bad loss is stupid. What new information is there about Scott Frost or Herm Edwards that we didn't have before they lost to Georgia Southern and Eastern Michigan? Nothing has changed with either coach, but the AD's are having temper tantrums. I don't think Frost is a big time coach, but if Alberts was going to start the season with him, why on earth would he fire Frost 3 weeks before the buyout drops by $7.5 million. If I was a big time Nebraska booster, I would want Alberts shot into space for doing something so freaking stupid.

The "violations" story on Edwards feels very UConn/Ollie-esque. The school decided they don't like the coach and is manufacturing a reason to fire him. Not my circus, not my clown, so I don't care that much, but I do think if they wanted Edwards gone then they should have fired him last spring. Why do it now and basically burn a whole season?

Reaction Score
These early firings are more about getting someone new in place ASAP so the new coach can hit the ground running in recruiting. At least, that was the original justification I saw.
Exactly. With the portal and NIL, you fire the old coach when it becomes obvious it ain't working and take a month or two at most to name the next head coach so you can show we're open for business and to prime the booster/NIL machine.

Reaction Score
I think firing head coaches early in the season is the new normal. No more scrambling over 2 or 3 weeks in December to find a new coach if you have already decided to move in a different direction.

The exact timing of the Frost firing seems a little odd due to the money savings, but the buyout does call for a financial offset if Frost gets a new job. So, the buyout could be substantially less than what is currently being stated. By firing Frost now, the odds go up that he will get a head coaching job next year.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
As someone posted above, Nebby has more money than Jesus.

Reportedly the big donors pushed Frost's firing and the school went for it because they hated the optics of playing Oklahoma on national tv and having the Frost death watch be the main story.

Instead, they got to watch OU curbstomp them without Frost.

And pls don't reply this doesn't make much sense. It's Nebby. Delusion is a foundational piece of their football program by now.

Reaction Score
As someone posted above, Nebby has more money than Jesus.

Reportedly the big donors pushed Frost's firing and the school went for it because they hated the optics of playing Oklahoma on national tv and having the Frost death watch be the main story.

Instead, they got to watch OU curbstomp them without Frost.

And pls don't reply this doesn't make much sense. It's Nebby. Delusion is a foundational piece of their football program by now.

You’re exactly right. It’s just small time CT thinkers who see the world through an aperture the size of straw.

You can’t set foot in a place in Nebraska without seeing merchandise everywhere festooned with Nebraska logos.

They make money without lifting a finger.

And Trev isn’t firing anyone without buy in from all the stakeholders. As if he acted alone! LOL

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom