2022 Coaching Carousel Begins… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Coaching Carousel Begins…

Reaction Score
Nebraska boosters… “WHO”?

Well he was AP Coach of the Year.

"Chadwell is the first Sun Belt Conference coach to win the AP award, which was established in 1988, and the third coach to earn it with a team from outside the Power Five leagues. UCF’s Scott Frost was AP coach of the year in 2017 and Gary Patterson won the first of his two AP awards with TCU in 2009 when the Horned Frogs were competing in the Mountain West."

1663158170000.png

Reaction Score
Could see Frost going to Sabans staff as some offensive analyst takes coordinator job after Bill O’Brien leaves then leaves to coach an AAC team maybe he just goes back to UCF.
With UCF moving to the Big 12, I doubt they're going to let Malzhan go unless he's an absolute train wreck there. But his only crime at Auburn was not being as good as Alabama. Granted that's a mortal sin in Alabama, but his Auburn teams were still always very good.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So funny reading the reactions to the Frost firing from people who aren’t close to the situation. $7.5M is NOTHING to DONU. About to launch our fourth donor led collective- existing ones all are well resourced including ABM which was led by one of Frost’s old friends (and former Husker Athletics employee) and has raised $5M in just over the last year alone for direct NIL payments

NU shouldn’t have fired Bo Pelini? Both sides were about to kill one another. NU athletics administration hated Bo and Bo didn’t want to work for them anymore. NU regularly lost games by 30+ points multiple times per year despite having the talent to win those games. Remember the 2012 Big Ten title game v 7-5 Wisconsin? Bo also pissed off numerous donors and was caught ON TAPE blasting the NU fanbase. It was toxic and both parties were ready to move on.

Frost was a lazy coach who tried to bring back the 1990s. Built the roster to 150 guys, mirrored old 90s nutrition (Coach Ellis still there) with a terrible S&C program and constantly compared things to the “old days”. Scott got himself fired because he couldn’t keep the talent he got on campus and ran a circus behind the scenes.

NU is in a great position to land a good coach this cycle and I greatly appreciate Trevs comments about not living in the past and think he has a good mindset/approach moving forward. Nebraska is a good job with great resources and tradition in one of the two leagues that matter. I’m excited to see who winds up in Lincoln

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
NU is in a great position to land a good coach this cycle and I greatly appreciate Trevs comments about not living in the past and think he has a good mindset/approach moving forward. Nebraska is a good job with great resources and tradition in one of the two leagues that matter. I’m excited to see who winds up in Lincoln
They have the resources and tradition but that's all it will be, tradition and history. They were able to be successful because they were in the Big 12 and whatever it was before then. They were able to recruit the heck out of Texas. Now they're an also ran in one of the two major conferences, which is a heck of a place to be!! Once USC and UCLA join, they'll just be another program with tradition. I just don't see them returning to the glory days that their fans and boosters expect them to get to.

Reaction Score
Nebraska and Tennessee are similar programs. Great fan support, deep pocketed boosters, and recent history of being near the top of the sport. They have decks stacked against them going into future years however.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So funny reading the reactions to the Frost firing from people who aren’t close to the situation. $7.5M is NOTHING to DONU. About to launch our fourth donor led collective- existing ones all are well resourced including ABM which was led by one of Frost’s old friends (and former Husker Athletics employee) and has raised $5M in just over the last year alone for direct NIL payments

NU shouldn’t have fired Bo Pelini? Both sides were about to kill one another. NU athletics administration hated Bo and Bo didn’t want to work for them anymore. NU regularly lost games by 30+ points multiple times per year despite having the talent to win those games. Remember the 2012 Big Ten title game v 7-5 Wisconsin? Bo also pissed off numerous donors and was caught ON TAPE blasting the NU fanbase. It was toxic and both parties were ready to move on.

Frost was a lazy coach who tried to bring back the 1990s. Built the roster to 150 guys, mirrored old 90s nutrition (Coach Ellis still there) with a terrible S&C program and constantly compared things to the “old days”. Scott got himself fired because he couldn’t keep the talent he got on campus and ran a circus behind the scenes.

So why was Frost so successful at UCF? Was he lazy and lacked S&C capability then? Did he struggle to keep players on campus?

I get that Nebraska is different than UCF...but is it possible that Nebraska may be part of the problem? Or is it all Frost?

Drew

Reaction Score
They have the resources and tradition but that's all it will be, tradition and history. They were able to be successful because they were in the Big 12 and whatever it was before then. They were able to recruit the heck out of Texas. Now they're an also ran in one of the two major conferences, which is a heck of a place to be!! Once USC and UCLA join, they'll just be another program with tradition. I just don't see them returning to the glory days that their fans and boosters expect them to get to.
Absolutely nobody who is a fan of Nebraska expects 1995 to happen ever again. But Nebraska has many more resources and advantages than the other programs in its immediate surrounding areas. There isn’t a single systemic advantage that programs like Illinois, NW, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc have over NU and DEFINITELY not KSU, ISU, etc and all of those teams have been better than NU recently.

There is no reason NU can’t field a top 25 level team going forward. They have the resources (financial and facilities), institutional support, and recruits at a top 25 level even under Frost when they were losing (sans last year when he gave up on HS kids to go all in on the portal to save his job and only took like 14 kids from HS). Just need a coach with a good plan and focus on development to get bring it all together

Drew

Reaction Score
So why was Frost so successful at UCF? Was he lazy and lacked S&C capability then? Did he struggle to keep players on campus?

I get that Nebraska is different than UCF...but is it possible that Nebraska may be part of the problem? Or is it all Frost?
They’re completely different jobs with completely different situations and surrounding circumstances

You can (pretty easily) make the case that the situation Scott walked into at UCF was much better setup for immediate success than at NU. 2 Years removed from a BCS bowl and had double digit NFL players on the roster at the time he arrived. Scott also defied the odds winning ALL of his one score games in 2017 including insane finishes against USF and Memphis in back to back weeks.

Nebraska was part of the problem in the sense that Bill Moos his AD essentially went MIA once he hired him and moved back to his Montana ranch to essentially ride out his contract and retire. Frost had no direct boss in person overseeing the Day to Day activities and as a result was on his own to navigate being a HC at a major program for the first time.

But Scott did himself ZERO favors bringing his entire staff from UCF (they were absolutely not a Big Ten caliber staff as a whole), he was too hesitant to move off Adrian Martinez (could’ve had Joe Burrow and infamously said “is he better than what we got?”), replaced Troy Walters at OC with a guy who was literally working in financial services at the time, among many other poor choices. On top of it all, there’s been plenty of rumors that have popped up over the last five years about his time spent on activities outside of football and his general lack of understanding of what it takes to run a successful program in a league like the Big Ten (infamous “we want the Big Ten to adjust to us” quote in his opening presser).

I actually think Scott can still be a good coach at a non B1G or SEC school, G5 school or a school like UConn where the spotlight is lower, program requirements are less, etc. But Scott shockingly never figured out what it would take to run a successful high end Big Ten program and was far too slow to react when there were glaring weaknesses that needed fixed from the get go (Special Teams comes to mind). Nebraska has challenges like 99% of FBS teams do but Scott was fired because of his own decisions (or lack thereof).

Reaction Score

Nebraska has great tradition and a loyal fan base, but they do have a number of disadvantages when it comes to college football. UCF does not have the tradition or fan base that Nebraska has, but they do have many advantages. I think being successful at Nebraska requires different coaching skills than succeeding at UCF.

When I graduated college, I worked with a Nebraska grad and we used to go to his house to watch the Nebraska game (it was one of the few college football games on TV) in his room filled with Nebraska memorabilia. Kids from all over the country wanted to play for Nebraska as they were one of the top teams and they were always on TV. I remember a top running back from Connecticut, Doug DuBose, who went to Nebraska, but I doubt he would have ended up at Nebraska today.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Personally, I think Frost had better athletes at UCF than he had at Nebraska even though the recruiting rankings are higher at Nebraska. Since 2018, UCF has had 12 NFL draft picks (10 non-linemen) and Nebraska has had 8 NFL draft picks (3 non-linemen).

There are probably >10x the football recruits within 500 miles of UCF than there are to Nebraska. And, if a kid from Florida wants to transfer closer to home, UCF is an attractive landing spot. You know what's shocking to me? Nebraska has only 8 players from Florida on the current roster even though Frost was the head coach.

And, I think people who have not been playing sports against UCF and USF don't realize how these schools have grown over time and they are shocked when they look closer at the schools. In US News' recent rankings both UCF (137) and USF (97) are rated higher than Nebraska (151) and both are in the top 15 based on enrollment.

Drew

Reaction Score
Nebraska has great tradition and a loyal fan base, but they do have a number of disadvantages when it comes to college football. UCF does not have the tradition or fan base that Nebraska has, but they do have many advantages. I think being successful at Nebraska requires different coaching skills than succeeding at UCF.

When I graduated college, I worked with a Nebraska grad and we used to go to his house to watch the Nebraska game (it was one of the few college football games on TV) in his room filled with Nebraska memorabilia. Kids from all over the country wanted to play for Nebraska as they were one of the top teams and they were always on TV. I remember a top running back from Connecticut, Doug DuBose, who went to Nebraska, but I doubt he would have ended up at Nebraska today.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Personally, I think Frost had better athletes at UCF than he had at Nebraska even though the recruiting rankings are higher at Nebraska. Since 2018, UCF has had 12 NFL draft picks (10 non-linemen) and Nebraska has had 8 NFL draft picks (3 non-linemen).

There are probably >10x the football recruits within 500 miles of UCF than there are to Nebraska. And, if a kid from Florida wants to transfer closer to home, UCF is an attractive landing spot. You know what's shocking to me? Nebraska has only 8 players from Florida on the current roster even though Frost was the head coach.

And, I think people who have not been playing sports against UCF and USF don't realize how these schools have grown over time and they are shocked when they look closer at the schools. In US News' recent rankings both UCF (137) and USF (97) are rated higher than Nebraska (151) and both are in the top 15 based on enrollment.
I would love to hear from you what the number of disadvantages are that Nebraska has compared to the advantages that UCF has specifically around running a high end college football program. Despite the obvious advantage in proximity to talent that UCF has, Nebraska has regularly out recruited the Knights and averages top 25 classes. They have the fourth most talent per the 247 talent composite in the Big Ten. So would love to hear you make the argument there and cover the other “numerous” disadvantages NU has in your mind.

If anything, Scott has done a fairly great job recruiting skill player talent to NU over the last 5 years. Keeping them on campus has been the problem. What kills NU is the complete lack of focus and development on the OL and DL. They are soft as dog poo on both sides of the ball and get pushed around up front.

You also mention transfers when NU pulled in 15 last year and has one of the largest NIL operations in the country, beating Texas for Ochaun Mathis, bringing in Casey Thompson, etc.

There’s no doubt that NU will not repeat 1990-1997 again in the future. I don’t know a single person that thinks that that kind of run is possible at virtually any program outside of Alabama. Hell OSU and UGA haven’t been able to produce a run like that. But to think that NU isn’t positioned well enough to compete at the top end of the Big Ten when teams like Wisconsin and Iowa are doing it with significantly less resources and talented rosters is just dumb.

Reaction Score
All Nebraska needs is a DC that understands the B1G and an OC that can keep up with Wisconsin, Purdue and OSU. Is that too much to ask?

All joking aside, Nebraska will probably be digging itself out of a hole for a couple years so hopefully they hire a guy that fans and donors are patient with.

Reaction Score
I would love to hear from you what the number of disadvantages are that Nebraska has compared to the advantages that UCF has specifically around running a high end college football program. Despite the obvious advantage in proximity to talent that UCF has, Nebraska has regularly out recruited the Knights and averages top 25 classes. They have the fourth most talent per the 247 talent composite in the Big Ten. So would love to hear you make the argument there and cover the other “numerous” disadvantages NU has in your mind.

If anything, Scott has done a fairly great job recruiting skill player talent to NU over the last 5 years. Keeping them on campus has been the problem. What kills NU is the complete lack of focus and development on the OL and DL. They are soft as dog poo on both sides of the ball and get pushed around up front.

You also mention transfers when NU pulled in 15 last year and has one of the largest NIL operations in the country, beating Texas for Ochaun Mathis, bringing in Casey Thompson, etc.

There’s no doubt that NU will not repeat 1990-1997 again in the future. I don’t know a single person that thinks that that kind of run is possible at virtually any program outside of Alabama. Hell OSU and UGA haven’t been able to produce a run like that. But to think that NU isn’t positioned well enough to compete at the top end of the Big Ten when teams like Wisconsin and Iowa are doing it with significantly less resources and talented rosters is just dumb.
Nebraska's biggest disadvantage relative to UCF is access to recruits. And, outside of maybe the top 500 recruits, the recruiting rankings are not that accurate so overall recruiting rankings if you are not loading up on 4 or 5 star are not that important. And, the NFL seems to think UCF has had more top end talent than Nebraska as since 2018, UCF has had 12 NFL draft picks to Nebraska's 8 even though UCF had lower rated recruiting classes. Although I'm skeptical about ranking most 3* recruits, UCF's HS recruits in 2022 had a slightly higher average rating on 24/7 87.08 vs. Nebraska at 87.03 and they have a higher rating for 2023, 88.11 for UCF vs. 87.76 for Nebraska.

As for transfers, Nebraska pulled in 15 transfers last year rated 3 4*s, 10 3*s, and 2 2*s, but lost to the portal 3 4*s, 13 3*s, and 1 2*, so I think the portal was a neutral for Nebraska last year. Yes, Mathis was a good get, but 1 player does not make a class. And, look at the UCF portal wins last year: they got 8 HS 4*s and 4 HS 3*s. The difference between Nebraska and UCF transfers is Nebraska has to use NIL and UCF is attracting kids who want to come home to Florida. The disadvantage for Nebraska for transfers is location/climate.

Drew

Reaction Score
Nebraska's biggest disadvantage relative to UCF is access to recruits. And, outside of maybe the top 500 recruits, the recruiting rankings are not that accurate so overall recruiting rankings if you are not loading up on 4 or 5 star are not that important. And, the NFL seems to think UCF has had more top end talent than Nebraska as since 2018, UCF has had 12 NFL draft picks to Nebraska's 8 even though UCF had lower rated recruiting classes. Although I'm skeptical about ranking most 3* recruits, UCF's HS recruits in 2022 had a slightly higher average rating on 24/7 87.08 vs. Nebraska at 87.03 and they have a higher rating for 2023, 88.11 for UCF vs. 87.76 for Nebraska.

As for transfers, Nebraska pulled in 15 transfers last year rated 3 4*s, 10 3*s, and 2 2*s, but lost to the portal 3 4*s, 13 3*s, and 1 2*, so I think the portal was a neutral for Nebraska last year. Yes, Mathis was a good get, but 1 player does not make a class. And, look at the UCF portal wins last year: they got 8 HS 4*s and 4 HS 3*s. The difference between Nebraska and UCF transfers is Nebraska has to use NIL and UCF is attracting kids who want to come home to Florida. The disadvantage for Nebraska for transfers is location/climate.
Got it- so instead of saying Nebraska has “a number of disadvantages” compared to UCF in your previous post, you could’ve just said “Nebraska isn’t located in the state of Florida”.

Btw- previous years rolling NFL Draft picks is a horrendous way to evaluate indvidual year roster talent. Here’s the 247 Talent Composite for 2022. Nebraska is 24th OVR, 4th in the B1G, 1st in the B1G West. Central Florida is 10 spots below at 34 OVR (Their highest rating ever).

If there’s any more of the numerous “disadvantages” you claim NU has compared to UCF or the rest of their immediate peers (Big Ten West)- please point them out to me. Amassing talent at a good enough level to be a top end Big Ten team has not and will not be an issue at NU.

Reaction Score
Whenever someone mentions Diaco, we should all have a shot.
Just put him above a dunk Tank at a dollar a pop. That way UCONN could pay off Ollie's ridiculous add on bonus

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just put him above a dunk Tank at a dollar a pop. That way UCONN could pay off Ollie's ridiculous add on bonus
Lol, and then there would be a thread on the basketball board about all the yarders who were getting Tommy John surgery after throwing out their arms.

Reaction Score
I feel like Al Iverson - Nebraska? We’re talking’ bout Nebraska? Nebraska?

I’m thrilled they have institutional advantages they can’t bring to bear in any meaningful way in any (revenue) sport there is - or has for over 25 years. WTF cares about the program outside the guys respobsible for putting beef on our tables?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Nebraska's best days are in the rearview. This is magic thinking.

Reaction Score
Got it- so instead of saying Nebraska has “a number of disadvantages” compared to UCF in your previous post, you could’ve just said “Nebraska isn’t located in the state of Florida”.

Btw- previous years rolling NFL Draft picks is a horrendous way to evaluate indvidual year roster talent. Here’s the 247 Talent Composite for 2022. Nebraska is 24th OVR, 4th in the B1G, 1st in the B1G West. Central Florida is 10 spots below at 34 OVR (Their highest rating ever).

If there’s any more of the numerous “disadvantages” you claim NU has compared to UCF or the rest of their immediate peers (Big Ten West)- please point them out to me. Amassing talent at a good enough level to be a top end Big Ten team has not and will not be an issue at NU.
Another advantage is perception among young athletes. Ask teenagers who they think has more football history, Nebraska or UCF? Most would say UCF as UCF has performed better in recent times than Nebraska including the "national championship". Think about this, the last NFL 1st round pick from Nebraska was in 2011 and UCF has had 3 1st rounders since.

You say the "24/7 Talent Composite" shows Nebraska is better than UCF. Don't you think many Nebraska commits experience rating inflation? Case in point from 2022. Jake Appleget an edge from Nebraska was a 2* recruit rated 79 by 24/7. On 6/1, Nebraska offers him and on 6/2 his rating is upgraded to 84 3*. He ends up rated at 87 3*. Maybe he should have been highly rated, I don't know, but this is what happens when a kid commits to a P5 program with lots of fans who pay for recruiting sites.

When I was young, Nebraska was a hot program that good football players wanted to go to. Those days are long in the past. Now Nebraska has more money and a better conference than most schools, but not everyone wants to go live in Nebraska especially if the team is mediocre or worse. I'm not wishing Nebraska to be bad, in fact I want them to be a good team, but I'm not sure Nebraska can figure out what they need to do.

Reaction Score
Another advantage is perception among young athletes. Ask teenagers who they think has more football history, Nebraska or UCF? Most would say UCF as UCF has performed better in recent times than Nebraska including the "national championship". Think about this, the last NFL 1st round pick from Nebraska was in 2011 and UCF has had 3 1st rounders since.

You say the "24/7 Talent Composite" shows Nebraska is better than UCF. Don't you think many Nebraska commits experience rating inflation? Case in point from 2022. Jake Appleget an edge from Nebraska was a 2* recruit rated 79 by 24/7. On 6/1, Nebraska offers him and on 6/2 his rating is upgraded to 84 3*. He ends up rated at 87 3*. Maybe he should have been highly rated, I don't know, but this is what happens when a kid commits to a P5 program with lots of fans who pay for recruiting sites.

When I was young, Nebraska was a hot program that good football players wanted to go to. Those days are long in the past. Now Nebraska has more money and a better conference than most schools, but not everyone wants to go live in Nebraska especially if the team is mediocre or worse. I'm not wishing Nebraska to be bad, in fact I want them to be a good team, but I'm not sure Nebraska can figure out what they need to do.
I remember the great games between Nebraska and Oklahoma when they were in the Big 8 but that was a long time ago. The game has moved on from their run option offense. It will be hard to recapture that for Nebraska.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom