2022 Blue/White Showcase Info (Friday April 22nd @ 7:00) *Updated Day/Time* | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Blue/White Showcase Info (Friday April 22nd @ 7:00) *Updated Day/Time*

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

-> As he tries to fashion a new era for UConn football, Mora sees everywhere that there is a lot of work ahead, but not once, he says, has the thought “what have I gotten myself into?” crept into his head.

“Not even for a heartbeat,” Mora said at the halfway mark of the Blue-White Showcase at Joe Morrone Stadium. “I mean, we have a lot of work to do, a ton of work to do, developing the men on our team, but I have not had one single moment when I have not been having fun. I think the future is very bright. It’s going to be a process to get there, but thankfully I’m working with a group of guys that’s excited to work to get there.” <-

-> There was not much to learn from the last of 15 spring practices, much of it 11-on-11 drills with limited contact, but the vibe was positive, at least. For a program that is 10-57 since 2016, it has to start somewhere.<-

-> “I see few penalties, which I like,” Mora said. “We’re not tackling [by design], and when you’re not tackling, it’s hard from the stands or sidelines to gauge what’s going on, or even for me standing on the field. You go back and look at the film, you’re looking at execution; you’re looking at effort. Right now, we’re just trying to get our operation down, and it’s been fine.” <-

In this same article, Mora mentions that we "are undefeated".

We finally found a coach that understands me...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Roberson not looking good at all... I'm seriously thinking that Zion Turner is gonna be a consideration for QB1 going into the fall.
Bummer, after hearing good things about him

Reaction Score
Once they hit the field Mora starts to repeat the same things we've heard from the previous three head coaches. "work in progress", "a lot of work to do", "good attitude, willing to work for it". You hear the same thing, not in the same word phrasings, from every coach that comes to UConn Football. I have my fingers crossed that this guy will be able to get more out of these players than the previous three could. I love UConn Football. I am praying Mora can mold this into a legit top 25 program. Obviously not this year, though I am still holding onto the hope of a bowl game, but there needs to be damn close if not better than a .500 record this year. One or two wins just isn't getting it done vs the competition UConn faces this year. Five wins this year as compared to the previous couple of years you can almost live with. But no matter how you try and whitewash it anything less than a bowl game is NOT a successful season.

Reaction Score
Once they hit the field Mora starts to repeat the same things we've heard from the previous three head coaches. "work in progress", "a lot of work to do", "good attitude, willing to work for it". You hear the same thing, not in the same word phrasings, from every coach that comes to UConn Football. I have my fingers crossed that this guy will be able to get more out of these players than the previous three could. I love UConn Football. I am praying Mora can mold this into a legit top 25 program. Obviously not this year, though I am still holding onto the hope of a bowl game, but there needs to be damn close if not better than a .500 record this year. One or two wins just isn't getting it done vs the competition UConn faces this year. Five wins this year as compared to the previous couple of years you can almost live with. But no matter how you try and whitewash it anything less than a bowl game is NOT a successful season.
I hear you. But that said, a little realism is in order. UConn was 1-11 last year and lost by far its two best players to graduation or early draft departure. Then they lost a bunch of players to the portal, a couple of which would have made real contributions this year. Are the players from the portal and the frosh better than those losses? Maybe, but we will have to see, especially at QB. How many times have we seen the latest transfer QB come in with hype that he is the Next Coming only to find that Beaudry or the NC State guy isn't the answer? The news about Roberson does not surprise me, but it is still early days. It will also not surprise me if Steven Krajewski or Tyler Phommachanh are over center at Utah State. Will there be two sure fire NFL prospects on the team this year? Well perhaps one who still has to have a breakout year and probably needs a year of two more to get to that status.

The wildcard is the new coaching staff. The HC seems much more open, more analytical, more open to alternative approaches, less ideological in his approach. (By that I mean we haven't heard "first establish the run" yet.) He seems to love communicating. And he seems to have a pretty good staff.

So, on the basis of those considerations alone I would guess it is a wash on playing personnel, but a pickup of two wins on coaching alone including the continuity provided by Spanos. So 3-9 looks most probable. If some of the players at key positions become game changers well, that could easily change the equation. But go back and look at our discussions of a year ago, then fast forward to the week before the Fresno game when we finally got a look at the other team's two-deep. A lot of folks went "Oh, maybe bigger faster stronger isn't gonna do it after all." And sure enough, reality hit us. So, at the moment I choose not to wear rose colored glasses. But I am also willing to be convinced. My prediction is 3-9 as of today and I would view that as the solid beginning of the turnaround.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I guess our group was lucky. It was only 20 minutes of our life that we'll never get back. Luckily, we were able to join the many fans (at least a 100) that left the practice and went over to watch the baseball team win another game. Up until yesterday, Mora has been hitting every pitch out of the park. But yesterday, he struck out. The person in marketing that approved the constant overbearing LOUD music being played does not have the faintest idea of what appeals to UCONN football fans (my ears are still ringing). Maybe next year they can have 2 events. A concert with practice in the background for the students and a real scrimmage for UCONN fans. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until Monday to make an appointment with my audiologist to see how much damage was done to my ears.
It sounds like this game was targeted to students...not long time UConn football fans. Which...kinds makes sense. Start rebuilding the fan base with the student body.

Reaction Score
If this team can win 4 games it would be a massive improvement over the last few seasons.

Reaction Score
3-9 is more reasonable expectation for me. Every year except for the 6 win season has been a let down. Much like Tyler Phommachanh, guessing Roberson will make many plays on the run.

Reaction Score
As long as he doesn’t say, “Bigger, faster, stronger” I’ll be happy!

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe not one or two wins, but three or four would be OK as a floor. Anything better than that and I’m feeling pretty good. Were we to qualify for a bowl, I’d be ecstatic. I’m not expecting that to happen this year.

Reaction Score
We haven’t beaten an FCS school (unless you want to count UMess) since Tulsa in mid-2017. A 4 win season would be great for this dumpster fire. I’d settle for 2 or 3 if they fought hard every game and showed improvement.

Honestly don’t know what to expect. Just hoping for competence. Something to hang our hat on.

Reaction Score
Our improvement will most likely be incremental the next few years. Last night's practice didn't reveal very much. The wide receivers and all of running backs all looked good. There was no way telling if the offensive line is any better. Krajewski made the best throws of the quarterback in this controlled practice. Roberson looks like he has a very strong arm and is very fast with his legs but did not throw the ball as well as Steve. The only thing that I will remember about this practice is that Sokoya McDuffie is one big lineman. I am hoping for some big things from him in 2022.

Reaction Score
4 to 5 wins and competitive game in and game out and I'm sold. The 2nd Randy era was worse than P and Diaco. If we get close to where we were in Ps 1st year I'll be happy.

Reaction Score
Bummer, after hearing good things about him
I am not agreeing with your assessment....the not so good....a botched snap but that is going to happen from time time...never know if it is on the center or the QB.....he had a couple balls batted down....one was a really good player by the outside LB making a play.....the pretty good......thought he had a nice release and had a nice tight spiral on the curl routes......he had a great throw to the left corner of the endzone that should have been caught by Marion....he had some nice throws over the middle about 20 yards downfield....he can definitely scramble and is very quick.....

I thought he was pretty good overall....still early.....

CL82

Reaction Score
I am not agreeing with your assessment....the not so good....a botched snap but that is going to happen from time time...never know if it is on the center or the QB.....he had a couple balls batted down....one was a really good player by the outside LB making a play.....the pretty good......thought he had a nice release and had a nice tight spiral on the curl routes......he had a great throw to the left corner of the endzone that should have been caught by Marion....he had some nice throws over the middle about 20 yards downfield....he can definitely scramble and is very quick.....

I thought he was pretty good overall....still early.....
Yeah I didn’t see it so I was just reacting to the commentary. Thanks for the additional details!

Reaction Score
Our improvement will most likely be incremental the next few years. Last night's practice didn't reveal very much. The wide receivers and all of running backs all looked good. There was no way telling if the offensive line is any better. Krajewski made the best throws of the quarterback in this controlled practice. Roberson looks like he has a very strong arm and is very fast with his legs but did not throw the ball as well as Steve. The only thing that I will remember about this practice is that Sokoya McDuffie is one big lineman. I am hoping for some big things from him in 2022.
How about Langston Hardy? Was hoping to hear some good things about him.

Reaction Score
If you had to do odds right now we will be double digit underdogs to 6-7 teams, including a team that beat us by 30 that could have won by 50.

Reaction Score
4 to 5 wins and competitive game in and game out and I'm sold. The 2nd Randy era was worse than P and Diaco. If we get close to where we were in Ps 1st year I'll be happy.
RE 2 was a disaster, no doubt. But I’m not sure his heat was in it after the New Big East move. From what I heard he wasn’t consulted about it, just informed, and as a football move it made things very difficult. And indeed the NEWBIE went out of its way to knock football. Then his first INDY year was Covid cancelled. And FWIW, I also heard he wanted to play when the Big 10 reopened, but wasn’t willing to not know until Tuesday who the opponent would be and where. After those 2 things, he basically gave up. Probably should have walked away after the NEWBIE decision.

Mora is different. He came in knowing the situation and is trying to make changes. And I think he understands where we are and where we need to be. And he wasn’t dissed by the Administration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom