2022 Blue/White Showcase Info (Friday April 22nd @ 7:00) *Updated Day/Time* | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Blue/White Showcase Info (Friday April 22nd @ 7:00) *Updated Day/Time*

Reaction Score
Whatever the reason, I'm still trusting that Mora is making the proper decision for the program. My uneducated guess is that they don't want play a game on turf. This event has been a bit of a cluster from the start. I think they forgot about the baseball games originally. In any case, I'm giving them a pass this year because they could have edsalled it and done nothing. Next year, let's get back to The Rent.

That's a pretty good take. I just hope we have a spring game at the Rent next year.

Reaction Score
Whatever the reason, I'm still trusting that Mora is making the proper decision for the program. My uneducated guess is that they don't want play a game on turf. This event has been a bit of a cluster from the start. I think they forgot about the baseball games originally. In any case, I'm giving them a pass this year because they could have edsalled it and done nothing. Next year, let's get back to The Rent.
This might also be a way to get the students more involved with the team. Students weren't attending the spring game at the Rent. This seems to be geared more for the students, which is also a good idea.

Reaction Score
<< the team has decided to shift its approach and treat the evening as another opportunity to practice >>

It’s a bit of a step backwards in my excitement for the Fall. In my mind, I can’t help replacing the word “practice” with “get bigger, stronger, faster”.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This might also be a way to get the students more involved with the team. Students weren't attending the spring game at the Rent. This seems to be geared more for the students, which is also a good idea.
They had that Blue/White day a few weeks ago for the students. But like most here, I'd like to see a game and it appears the venue to host one doesn't exist on campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They had that Blue/White day scheduled a few weeks ago for the students. Better?

Reaction Score
Personally, that sucks. If it's so wonderful why does every major college football team have a intra-squad spring game instead of a t-shirt give away?
No attack Pal but do you think we are considered a major college football team at this time??? They are making efforts for a turn around.
I can't go to the spring game because they are doing this garbage. Take my ticket.
I thank you for that I added another to my party today. :)
That's a pretty good take. I just hope we have a spring game at the Rent next year.
Again Pal not an attack at you but think of the logistics. UCONN has to pay to rent The Rentschler Field. Pay for parking pain in the arses along with extra duty East Hartford police along with State Police and Home Land Security required. The money drain does not come close to what is recovered for well under 2000 people to show up.
I have been to spring games and every game for years but understand the why of the now situation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No attack Pal but do you think we are considered a major college football team at this time??? They are making efforts for a turn around.

I thank you for that I added another to my party today. :)

Again Pal not an attack at you but think of the logistics. UCONN has to pay to rent The Rentschler Field. Pay for parking pain in the arses along with extra duty East Hartford police along with State Police and Home Land Security required. The money drain does not come close to what is recovered for well under 2000 people to show up.
I have been to spring games and every game for years but understand the why of the now situation.
That’s a good article. Definitely a must read if you want to understand the mismanagement at the site.

Everything the CDRA touches turns to crap. Freimuth is full of excuses. He thinks he could make more money if he took engagements that weren’t actually profitable. That is prohibited by the lease because UConn pays the first 250,000 of any loss at Rentschler field. so he’s blaming the university that he can’t make a profit? Here’s an easy solution, modify the contract so Connecticut isn’t responsible for the first $250,000 of loss. Of course, he won’t do that, because that agency has zero idea of how to run a business. But it’s very good at having the University of Connecticut paper over its losses so it looks not quite as bad.

UConn has paid the stadium about $8.1 million, including game rent and the $250,000 subsidy, since 2014.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think people overvalue the "game" part of the Spring Game. As long as the play is live and they let drives go to completion and not just a bunch of scripted situations, It doesn't bother me that we don't have the scrimmage shenanigans that a lot of spring games devolve into, esp in the 2nd half.

I'd also rather see the more players get some time with the first team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That’s a good article. Definitely a must read if you want to understand the mismanagement at the site.

Everything the CDRA touches turns to crap. Freimuth is full of excuses. He thinks he could make more money if he took engagements that weren’t actually profitable. That is prohibited by the lease because UConn pays the first 250,000 of any loss at Rentschler field. so he’s blaming the university that he can’t make a profit? Here’s an easy solution, modify the contract so Connecticut isn’t responsible for the first $250,000 of loss. Of course, he won’t do that, because that agency has zero idea of how to run a business. But it’s very good at having the University of Connecticut paper over its losses so it looks not quite as bad.

UConn has paid the stadium about $8.1 million, including game rent and the $250,000 subsidy, since 2014.
Should have built a stadium somewhere near the campus - but the state would screw that up too

CL82

Reaction Score
Should have built a stadium somewhere near the campus - but the state would screw that up too
Or on campus.

Reaction Score
I haven't been to a game of any kind on campus in more than a decade. Is there still a ban on alcohol at on-campus sports events? But I HAVE been to the Jorgensen fairly recently and of course they do have a bar.

So, beer or no beer at the blue-white "practice"?

Reaction Score
I haven't been to a game of any kind on campus in more than a decade. Is there still a ban on alcohol at on-campus sports events? But I HAVE been to the Jorgensen fairly recently and of course they do have a bar.

So, beer or no beer at the blue-white "practice"?

No ban on alcohol @ sporting events. They sell beer @ Gampel. They say concessions will be open and when they say that for baseball @ Elliot - there has been beer.

Reaction Score
No ban on alcohol @ sporting events. They sell beer @ Gampel. They say concessions will be open and when they say that for baseball @ Elliot - there has been beer.
Well then, this raises my interest in the game (ahem “showcase”) a bit more. Not that I need beer, but there’s something relaxing about sitting in a stadium with a beer in hand vs my water bottle…

Reaction Score
I just looked at the weather.

Well back in the day, if you hiked up the Fire Road 2.5 miles with your skis, boots, and poles into Tuckerman's Ravine, you skied in shorts and drank beer. It didn't matter if it was 20 F and the wind was howling, them's were the manhood rules. And no self respecting male skier would even think of violating them.

The weather forecast for Storrs Thursday night says 50 F and wind at 14 mph. I may have outgrown the old rules of my foolish youth. At least at Tucks you were always working hard. There was no lift. Turns were earned.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
It's @ 500 million to build a stadium close to campus. That's a lot of money -- that we can, technically, currently afford in the state budget.

I know it's impossible. It's just that it's -- vaguely possible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's @ 500 million to build a stadium close to campus. That's a lot of money -- that we can, technically, currently afford in the state budget.

UConn got a nice stadium for $92M that's now called a "field of nightmares". But you say $500M (and you can double that) is vaguely possible? To what end? It won't attract 1 new fan.

Reaction Score

Not with the unfunded pension obligations still out there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not with the unfunded pension obligations still out there.
since when has anybody at the state government paid attention to that obligation?
It's not in a lockbox? :p :cool:

Reaction Score
I wish I could make it, but a Thursday night in Storrs is tough for me. I'm disappointed I won't be there, but I'm pumped that there's a lot of excitement surrounding this event.

CL82

Reaction Score

Where are you getting that $500 million figure? Just curious.

Look, if we got a Mulligan, then building on campus makes way more sense (blah blah blah, infrastructure, blah blah blah, you’ll never get 40,000 people in and out of Storrs, blah blah blah, NIMBY, blah blah) but that’s not the world we actually live in. We have a beautiful stadium in Rentschler field. Yeah, it’s 30 miles too far to the west, but that’s the reality. Personally, I’m grateful we have it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom