2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 45 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Probably meant her Top 9 from before she committed to Stanford.

Let's try to read the tea leaves:
this is from July 2020 (before Lauren entered her Junior Year in HS, she graduated in June 2022).
1. We can eliminate Stanford
2. Kim Mulkey was at Baylor and has since moved to LSU, where she has Angel Reese at the post. We can eliminate Baylor and likely not add LSU into the mix.
3. Oregon has been hemorrhaging key players since 2020, we can eliminate Oregon.
4. Arizona State saw Charlie Turner Thorne retire in 2022 so we can eliminate ASU
5. Louisville just lost Hailey Van Lith and really has limited admirable assets vs. back in 2020 to warrant staying on the list, we can eliminate Louisville
6. SC still has 6'7" Cardoso that presents the same issue that Betts just had at Stanford. Seems illogical for her to choose SC based on what she just left. We can eliminate SC
7. That leaves UCLA, ND and UConn. However, her HS teammate, Addison O'Grady is at Iowa AND Iowa did just free up a slot, so we need to add IOWA into the mix.
8. Based on comments about selecting a school where her parents can see her play, that sort of eliminates ND and UConn, Unless TV deals matter than both, who have pretty good TV deals are back in play. Both also have a few team players from USA basketball who hae played with Lauren.
9. My best guess is Iowa (closest to home, Clark and O'Grady and now a slot open), ND (closer to home with Miles, Citron, Prosper and Watson), UConn (Azzi, Amari, Ice and Paige) and UCLA in that order.

So I do want to critique a few of my fellow BYers on their UCLA comments, that while seeming to be a great recruiter, Cori Close best finish in 12 years was tied for 2nd in the PAC 12, she's made 7 NCAAT never advancing past the Sweet 16, missed the postseason twice, qualified for 2 WNITs-winning that title in 2015. Nothing in this resume says she can win a title despite top recruits. In short, she hasn't remotely translated top recruits into a championship squad, ergo the label of "poor coach". Point to me some evidence that warrants any accolades of "top coach". Again, great recruiter, not so great at results.

Reaction Score
this is from July 2020 (before Lauren entered her Junior Year in HS, she graduated in June 2022).
2. Kim Mulkey was at Baylor and has since moved to LSU, where she has Angel Reese at the post. We can eliminate Baylor and likely not add LSU into the mix.
3. Oregon has been hemorrhaging key players since 2020, we can eliminate Oregon.
4. Arizona State saw Charlie Turner Thorne retire in 2022 so we can eliminate ASU
5. Louisville just lost Hailey Van Lith and really has limited admirable assets vs. back in 2020 to warrant staying on the list, we can eliminate Louisville
6. SC still has 6'7" Cardoso that presents the same issue that Betts just had at Stanford. Seems illogical for her to choose SC based on what she just left. We can eliminate SC
7. That leaves UCLA, ND and UConn. However, her HS teammate, Addison O'Grady is at Iowa AND Iowa did just free up a slot, so we need to add IOWA into the mix.
8. Based on comments about selecting a school where her parents can see her play, that sort of eliminates ND and UConn, Unless TV deals matter than both, who have pretty good TV deals are back in play. Both also have a few team players from USA basketball who hae played with Lauren.
9. My best guess is Iowa (closest to home, Clark and O'Grady and now a slot open), ND (closer to home with Miles, Citron, Prosper and Watson), UConn (Azzi, Amari, Ice and Paige) and UCLA in that order.

So I do want to critique a few of my fellow BYers on their UCLA comments, that while seeming to be a great recruiter, Cori Close best finish in 12 years was tied for 2nd in the PAC 12, she's made 7 NCAAT never advancing past the Sweet 16, missed the postseason twice, qualified for 2 WNITs-winning that title in 2015. Nothing in this resume says she can win a title despite top recruits. In short, she hasn't remotely translated top recruits into a championship squad, ergo the label of "poor coach". Point to me some evidence that warrants any accolades of "top coach". Again, great recruiter, not so great at results.
LSU played A Reese alongside L Williams (who just graduated). I could definitely see her doing likewise with Reese and Butts. That would be a dangerous combo.

Reaction Score
9. My best guess is Iowa (closest to home, Clark and O'Grady and now a slot open), ND (closer to home with Miles, Citron, Prosper and Watson), UConn (Azzi, Amari, Ice and Paige) and UCLA in that order
Considering how many transfers end up heading "home" I might add Colorado as a possible destination for Betts. Program on the upswing, good coach, close to home

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Considering how many transfers end up heading "home" I might add Colorado as a possible destination for Betts. Program on the upswing, good coach, close to home
I'm pretty sure the last I saw, Colorado has a full roster, possibly over the limit with Sherrod returning for another season. I think they are only losing one player for eligibilty exhaustion and they have two players in the transfer portal and two incoming freshmen and then Miller and Sherrod returning for one more year.

Reaction Score

If I had to place a bet, my guess would be Notre Dame.

Reaction Score

Close strikes me as a great motivator — her players seem to love playing for her, there aren’t any visible chemistry issues, and her program exudes a positive atmosphere. Like you, I’m less sold on her on-court results. I have similar sentiments about Coach Yo although I’ve somewhat changed my tune based on her improved team performance despite losing a WNBA starter in Shakira Austin.

If I’m Betts, the list of programs is pretty narrow. I’d be shocked to see her at any school east of the Great Plans beside Iowa and Notre Dame. UCLA could certainly be a contender and I’d put Colorado in there as well.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Seriously, you are grouping Amari with your other 3??? What is your basis for specifying these four Huskies? I think you need to buy a different brand of tea... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom