2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

46350137-4C7C-496C-A94E-F00E984E4CEF.gif

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Vic took diamonds in the rough at MSU, made them shine, then took over at a Texas program that he couldn't turn down. Since being there he's turned over that roster a bit plus had injuries. This year he bowed out in the round of 32 after a preseason rank of 3. Honestly that's just as disappointing as the LVs who were also expected to shine while bringing in multiple portal players.

Maybe things will die down a bit after the COVID year expires. However I just don't feel good about the direction the game is taking with the never ending roster shuffling.
Vic also started his tenure at Texas with two Elite 8 finishes, one conference tournament title, and one conference title. Not sure why you chose to leave out those accomplishments. As for this year, we lost one of our leading scorers and rebounders in December to an ACL injury, and then lost our best offensive player for like 8-10 games in February and wasn't healthy when she saw limited court time against East Carolina and Louisville; you did mention injuries, but they were to our main scorers in addition to a limited roster as there were a couple more injured non-starters on the bench. Our lack of success this post-season had nothing to do with our transfer additions; can't imagine where we would have been without them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vic also started his tenure at Texas with two Elite 8 finishes, one conference title, and one conference tournament title. Not sure why you chose to leave out those accomplishments. As for this year, we lost one of our leading scorers and rebounders in December to an ACL injury, and then lost our best offensive player for like 8-10 games in February and wasn't healthy when she saw limited court time against East Carolina and Louisville; you did mention injuries, but they were to our main scorers in addition to a limited roster as there were a couple more injured non-starters on the bench. Our lack of success this post-season had nothing to do with our transfer additions; can't imagine where we would have been without them.
I was referring to this season, which there were injuries that no doubt hurt the team, but Vic lost Matharu who was a good scorer and part time starter and Ebo to the portal last year after being a starter and contributor. He used the portal to bring in three or four players to fill in gaps that were certainly there, but to lose in the round of 32 was a far cry from being the preseason number 3, injuries or not.

I love Vic and will always support him plus be grateful for what he did for us at MSU. I just don't care for the half roster turnover that is happening after each year no matter what program it is and think it's a lot to absorb for a team and expect them to be successful off the bat the next season.

Your lack of success in the postseason was likely more about injuries than transfer additions and highly ranked Stanford didn't have injuries or transfers and went out in the same round so clearly these things happen. It's my personal observations and viewpoints, not any gospel or definitive statement.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not sure where to put this, but my wife just told me that our 2 "package deal" All-American recruits that are coming next year tweeted their continuing commitment and Nnaji also tweeted her plan to remain. Its a start.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I was referring to this season, which there were injuries that no doubt hurt the team, but Vic lost Matharu who was a good scorer and part time starter and Ebo to the portal last year after being a starter and contributor. He used the portal to bring in three or four players to fill in gaps that were certainly there, but to lose in the round of 32 was a far cry from being the preseason number 3, injuries or not.

I love Vic and will always support him plus be grateful for what he did for us at MSU. I just don't care for the half roster turnover that is happening after each year no matter what program it is and think it's a lot to absorb for a team and expect them to be successful off the bat the next season.

Your lack of success in the postseason was likely more about injuries than transfer additions and highly ranked Stanford didn't have injuries or transfers and went out in the same round so clearly these things happen. It's my personal observations and viewpoints, not any gospel or definitive statement.
Fair enough. Perhaps I misunderstood since you started with "Since being there . . . " which made me think you were talking about all 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Perhaps I misunderstood since you started with "Since being there . . . " which made me think you were talking about all 3 seasons.
Well I was talking about the roster turnover has been pretty consistent year to year since his arrival, but it's far more than a TX thing and seems to be common across the sport, which is one reason I'm leery of the direction the game it taking. Louisville, Arizona, Maryland, Oregon, Duke, LSU are just some of the bigger programs that have taken the same approach but it's not what I think is the best way to shape a program.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well I was talking about the roster turnover has been pretty consistent year to year since his arrival, but it's far more than a TX thing and seems to be common across the sport, which is one reason I'm leery of the direction the game it taking. Louisville, Arizona, Maryland, Oregon, Duke, LSU are just some of the bigger programs that have taken the same approach but it's not what I think is the best way to shape a program.
It's the reality we live in. If Celeste Taylor wouldn't have transferred to Duke (stating she wanted to make it easier for her parents to attend her games) two years ago, then Vic wouldn't have had to replace her via the transfer portal as she left after her sophomore season. No way Vic wanted her to leave as he loved her effort (which I say is second to none). But, every unexpected departure has a trickle down effect. I for sure am glad the transfer portal exists for both players and coaches' needs.

Texas also had 2 players quit during the last 2 seasons. Those departures couldn't be replaced immediately; had to wait until the offseason. Since they were also unexpected (non-seniors), the transfer portal is pretty much the only way to fill those vacancies as most high school seniors have already signed the LOI's.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hmm. NJ. Could she be heading to ND like so many other NJ players.
I wanted her to come to ND when she was coming out of high school! (ask anybody on The Bench ;))

The only trouble is that since she's been at UNC for two years, ND brought aboard Cass Prosper, the 6'2" guard/forward, who has many of the same attributes as Adams and is off to a head start as, essentially, a high-school senior with an early-entry pass.

So, if Adams was to come to ND, she'd be getting playing time equivalent to what she might've gotten next year at UNC...not what she's probably after by making this move.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d take her. LSU needs better guards. We desperate…
While I don’t disagree, I think Mikaylah Williams will have an amazing first year. Kim Mulkey struck gold with her.

Reaction Score
While I don’t disagree, I think Mikaylah Williams will have an amazing first year. Kim Mulkey struck gold with her.
LSU needs a guard with some experience who has shown the ability to score. Beyond Morris and Flaujae this year, there is a significant drop off although Poole plays good D. They return Flaujae and M Williams will start, but they need someone from the portal who can round off that last spot. Need another scoring punch

Reaction Score
Not sure where to put this, but my wife just told me that our 2 "package deal" All-American recruits that are coming next year tweeted their continuing commitment and Nnaji also tweeted her plan to remain. Its a start.
Nnaji, Williams and Cunningham is an excellent core of any team. I think Williams has found herself an excellent situation, getting in on the ground floor of a team that will really be able to use her talents. Good for her!

Reaction Score
LSU needs a guard with some experience who has shown the ability to score. Beyond Morris and Flaujae this year, there is a significant drop off although Poole plays good D. They return Flaujae and M Williams will start, but they need someone from the portal who can round off that last spot. Need another scoring punch
I think Kim will have another excellent portal recruiting period. Angel has had a great year on & off the court and I think that’ll influence a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom