2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well I was talking about the roster turnover has been pretty consistent year to year since his arrival, but it's far more than a TX thing and seems to be common across the sport, which is one reason I'm leery of the direction the game it taking. Louisville, Arizona, Maryland, Oregon, Duke, LSU are just some of the bigger programs that have taken the same approach but it's not what I think is the best way to shape a program.
Agreed, I think the way to go is the UConn and ND approach, i.e. build the base of your team with high school recruits and then use the portal to plug in holes on your roster

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She could be great on a team where she didn’t have to be the center so much.
Durable player who was one of only two Wolfpackers to start every possible game this year. She also put up career-best averages of 8.8 points and 4.2 rebounds per game while averaging 21.3 minutes.

She's a senior so maybe she wants to use the Covid exemption to get a grad degree at a particular school (that NC State doesn't offer). Otherwise, think she's always gotten a pretty fair shake out of Coach Wes Moore.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We actually met with someone from the Arizona athletics department. Word from there is that Adia's problem is that she doesn't manage personalities and playing time very well. She isn't personally disliked by the players, in fact she's a players coach, but he was telling us that she has expectations that players are similar to when she played - that they want to play, that they will work hard, and are willing to be used sporadically and will await their "turn". That's just not today's players. And it isn't that she doesn't know that, she's even said so, but it is none-the-less how she runs the team. And her mentors are Tara and Joan Bonvicini. Both old school.

He said what she really needs is an assistant experienced in managing players.

I don't get Ware's issue, but I get Conner and Clark no problem. Adia used Conner in every position - she filled in whenever it was convenient. She didn't get a lot of total minutes, she was expected to know the proper moves in plays for 4 different positions and the lack of minutes and odd roles definitely affected her ability to score. Similarly, Clark was a stud - in fact, Adia has said so and praised her as being vital for the team. But she wouldn't give consistent minutes to the freshman - there were some games where they were available and she wouldn't play them. I'm sure in Adia's mind it was waiting your turn - but Clark came to Arizona specifically because she didn't think she would get minutes at UCLA when Rice committed there. See the picture? I will admit I posted - and still say - I'm not sure how you could have the team you had and satisfy everyone with playing time, but . . .

Hilton wasn't a factor, she didn't fit in from the beginning.

Add to the fact that she routinely recruits over players or gets too many players at a certain position - and I can see the transfers. I will also add that she was over-the-top committed to Jade Loville this year and really didn't get a good return and also starting Lauren Fields who rarely took a shot (great defender, but definitely hurt our offense, haven't heard anyone (but presumably Adia) disagree).

I really like Adia, but when you have a weakness you need to address it. That is my main concern, that she doesn't seem able to change.
I think the difference between Adia and Tara/Geno/Dawn/other 'old school' coaches is they have track records of developing players, and experience in recognizing which recruits will put in the time and be patient and which will not, and they generally don't recruit the latter.

The idea that she needs to balance her staff sounds right. Uconn staff alternate between 'in your face' and 'understanding and support'. CD said once that if Geno is riding a player hard, then CD will be make sure to be the supportive one, and visa versa on a daily basis and it carries over to the assistants as well - so a player always has at least one coach in their corner.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I suspect Rutgers to be active in the portable as they played pretty much all season with 8 players. Washington herself with NMP could lure some good players to the Scarlet Knights.

Reaction Score
Well I was talking about the roster turnover has been pretty consistent year to year since his arrival, but it's far more than a TX thing and seems to be common across the sport, which is one reason I'm leery of the direction the game it taking. Louisville, Arizona, Maryland, Oregon, Duke, LSU are just some of the bigger programs that have taken the same approach but it's not what I think is the best way to shape a program.
Duke is taking that approach out of necessity. When you take over a program that is bankrupt (of talent, donors, etc) with an unproven coach, you have fewer options out of high school. Hopefully, the tide is turning, but we'll see.

Reaction Score
Louisville, Arizona, Maryland, Oregon, Duke, LSU are just some of the bigger programs that have taken the same approach but it's not what I think is the best way to shape a program.
To be fair to LSU, the roster turnover since Kim has occurred due to her starting over from scratch trying to rebuild a program. You have seen the roster get flipped upside down since she has come in but its essentially all of the former coaches players who left. As she gets more recruiting classes in, you'll see less dependence on transfers as the program becomes more stable with the coaches's own recruits

Of course the portal is here to stay, if there is a chance to enhance your roster, upgrade talent or depth, I think almost any program in America will try to do that. Relying on a bunch of transfers year after year? I don't think its a very sustainable option long term but in the short term, its good when you are a new coach trying to jump start a program, or you are on the opposite end of the portal spectrum with players leaving your own program.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I suspect Rutgers to be active in the portable as they played pretty much all season with 8 players. Washington herself with NMP could lure some good players to the Scarlet Knights.
They better be on the phone right now... lol

Reaction Score
Ouch!!

Random observation here, but I cannot say that I can recall having ever seen anyone refer to UNC as "UNC Carolina."

If I ever heard someone, especially one of our own players, refer to us as "USC Carolina" I'd stare at them like they'd sprouted a 2nd nose on their face.

Just struck me as peculiar.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
NCAA makes massive decision on transfer rules

This amounts to overkill. It's so ridiculous that it comes across as a personal vendetta.
I think first of all the NCAA athletic scholarship is not a fundamental human right. It is a privileged awarded to outstanding athletes. A short while ago students had to sit out when they first transferred. Now they can jump ship and play immediately. But if they want to do it a second time, during their four years they will need to sit for a year. Not all that draconian a penalty and one that used to be the norm. Regular academic scholarships don't transfer at all. And there are a few very specifically defined exceptions.

Reaction Score
I think first of all the NCAA athletic scholarship is not a fundamental human right. It is a privileged awarded to outstanding athletes. A short while ago students had to sit out when they first transferred. Now they can jump ship and play immediately. But if they want to do it a second time, during their four years they will need to sit for a year. Not all that draconian a penalty and one that used to be the norm. Regular academic scholarships don't transfer at all. And there are a few very specifically defined exceptions.
The issue is not whether it's a right. The issue is the NCAA saying you can't go seek it elsewhere "under certain conditions" without penalty. If a coach that recruited you leaves, you should be able to leave IMO...even if its the second transfer...without penalty. A school decides not to renew your scholarship. Same thing. You don't like the playing time? You can leave, but they should lose a year of eligibility. I'm not a fan of all the transfers, but the NCAA should address the BIGGER transfer issue..and to me that is THE FIRST TRANSFER.

Reaction Score

One of the Belmont coaches tweeted last week and insinuated that one of the current post season teams was more or less tampering with players on the Belmont team. This is the 2nd to hit the portal. I haven't seen any announcement from Wells herself so maybe she doesn't want to be contacted because...the transfer deal is done?

Reaction Score
Also, this isn't a case of transferring a scholarship. It involves acquiring a new one at a different institution. If any student, athlete or otherwise, wants to leave, then they should be allowed to do so as long as they agree to accept the known consequences. Equally important, is that the receiving institution agrees to the consequences. Sitting out a year doesn't seem to be an effective deterrent. It just means they will be in school 5 years versus 4. I think if they allowed them all to play immediately, but lost a year of eligibility, they would think twice about the initial transfer.

Let's say I just ended my SO season and I want to transfer to another school. I say let them, but they would only have one year of playing eligibility remaining not two. They could play immediately in their Jr year or sit and play the last year as a Sr. Upon graduation, they would also not be eligible as a grad transfer if that would have been available. And the receiving school would have to agree to maintain them on scholarship for both years.

My priority in a solution is #1 making certain players get their degree. Sometimes students make the wrong choice. Even non-athletes. There should be consequences and not punishment. As far as addressing the two or 3 transfer thing maybe they should consider restricting where they can transfer. For example, they can't transfer to a school that previously recruited them, or they can't transfer to the same conference or they could only transfer to a lower division or non-power 5 schools. But let them transfer because the problem is feeding upon itself. Kids recruited out of HS are leaving because they are tired of waiting to play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have the opposite view: there should be as few consequences as possible for the student. The system needs to have some regulation, but mainly to discourage coaches from trying to lure players away from other schools. The institution of college athletics exists for the students, for their benefit. They create the value in it (with the assistance of coaches and teachers, to be sure) and we need to respect that most of all. Ironically, that value is what has distorted the system and especially the NCAA itself.

The interests of the NCAA and its member institutions in preserving competition in one form or another is worth some consideration, but I think it must be secondary to the interests of the players in developing their talents and their minds. I feel similarly about NIL as about transfers. Either one may change the way the college game looks today, but I am unmoved. If we try to restrict the freedom of the students in the name of some vision of the game we cherish, we risk catering to the wrong interests.

Reaction Score
If we try to restrict the freedom of the students in the name of some vision of the game we cherish, we risk catering to the wrong interests.
I tend to agree with this point and believe almost nothing about college athletics has been about the students in many, many years.

I find it appalling that Coach A could say you "couldn't" transfer to play for Coach B for so long and never got pushback. I don't think that's right and am glad that element of the rule is gone. However, I don't think making students sit out a year is restricting their freedom to move, it just means their decision has a consequence.

If I were king for a day, which fortunately I am not, I'd allow free, single transfers without a sit out for students who experienced a coaching change, no waiver required. The HC is fired, takes a better job, voluntarily resigns, that's cool. The season ends in March and you are practicing with another program by fall. Pretty much any other instance beyond extreme, and I am saying extreme, would require a player sit in competitive games for a year.

Restricting student movement was always about the coaches and frankly so is the no sit out rule, under the guise of being student friendly.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Y'all - can we keep this thread as announcements for players transferring, and discuss the transfer rules here?

source.gif

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have the opposite view: there should be as few consequences as possible for the student. The system needs to have some regulation, but mainly to discourage coaches from trying to lure players away from other schools. The institution of college athletics exists for the students, for their benefit. They create the value in it (with the assistance of coaches and teachers, to be sure) and we need to respect that most of all. Ironically, that value is what has distorted the system and especially the NCAA itself.

The interests of the NCAA and its member institutions in preserving competition in one form or another is worth some consideration, but I think it must be secondary to the interests of the players in developing their talents and their minds. I feel similarly about NIL as about transfers. Either one may change the way the college game looks today, but I am unmoved. If we try to restrict the freedom of the students in the name of some vision of the game we cherish, we risk catering to the wrong interests.
For second transfer student athletes, having to sit out a year has no impact on their studies, they still have to go to class and pass. What impact of not being allowed to play will affect their studies?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A fifth Arizona player:

So from an academic perspective, is it a thing where students can transfer grad school credits? Or would she be going for a double masters? I've never heard of someone transferring during graduate school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom