2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 35 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I wish RE would come out and finally publicly embrace independence.

He went to great lengths to avoid the question last year, to the extent it was clear he disapproved. That in itself did not send a good message to potential recruits.

Given their seeming initial recruiting uptick, now would be a great time to extol the benefits of independence. Highlighting the ability to attract higher impact players that want to play the likes of Clemson, Ole Miss etc.

About a month ago...

>>UConn’s new TV deal for football, combined with the robust schedules assembled for the next five years, will provide the selling points coach Randy Edsall needs to kick-start recruiting.

“This is a really good day for us,” Edsall said in a conference call with reporters Monday, as the four-year agreement with CBS Sports was announced, “and it came at the right time because we’re right in the middle of recruiting kids from the 2021 cycle.”<<

>>“There’s no question,” he said. “Myself and our coaching staff, we really sat down and talked a lot about what is going to be our message and how are we going to market what we’re doing. By telling them, ‘Hey, we felt good about the television package’ and by telling them about the schedule we were playing, and how we’re going to play more Power Five [conference] teams now than what we would have staying where we were previously, that made a big impact with the kids we were talking to. So that helped us tremendously, and we’ve seen tremendous interest. ... Do we have a challenge ahead of us? Yes, we do. But we have an ability to go out and sell things to get the kind of kids we need to win."<<

>>“David and I had talked way back in June, who do you think we should play?” Edsall said. “Who would be good for our program? We said, ‘Here’s who we’d like to play because of recruiting.’ We were able to really stick to those guidelines and craft schedules that will really aid us from a recruiting standpoint, having kids here and their families seeing them and also going to places where they can get to.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So what's next?

Tyler has an electric tape. It ought to be helpful for the collective recruiting effort going forward. Players love players of course.

I don't think we can expect too many more commits before the season starts (happy to be wrong though). Handicapping the offer sheet I feel like the guys below are the ones have some traction with..I might have missed some things but here goes:

First Tier
  • Terrance Anthony (WR) - Oakleaf High School, Orange Park Florida <--Feels like we are in a good spot
  • Josh Battle (DB/LB/RB) - Mill Creek High School, Hoschton Georgia <--Recently connected with Edsall.
  • Christopher Boti (DL) - St. Vincent Pallotti High School, Laurel Maryland <--I like our chances here. Lets see what happens over the next few weeks. Pindell following and that worked well for Aaron Turner.
  • Balansama Kamara (LB/DE) - Central High School, Philadelphia PA <--Has recently given some UConn tweets likes.
  • Xavier Copening (QB/DB) - South Windsor CT attending Avon Old Farms School, Avon CT <--probably the question for Copening is what position at the next level.
  • Ikenna Ugbaja (DL/TE) - Belmont Hill School, Belmont MA <--If we are ever going to win back some New England guys against the top end P5 does it start with Ugbaja? This would be a big get.
Next Tier
  • Laron Davis (DL) - Mainland High School, Daytona Beach Florida <--set to announce tomorrow, feel like he's going to stay in FL.
  • Matt Pajuste (OL) - Martin Luther King High School, Philadelphia PA <--Not sure we have room for another OG in this class. Need OT or C.
  • ‪Louce Julien (DL) - Orange High School, Orange New Jersey <--We dont seem to be out of the running per se.
  • David Siegel (DL/OL) - New Canaan High School, New Canaan CT <--We are his best offer, has been on campus to do the photo op which is always a good start.
  • Mason Bundy (OL/DL) - Fannin County High School, Blue Ridge Georgia <--haven't seen anything to suggest we are out of the running.
  • Sirad Bryant (DB/WR) - Crisp County High School, Cordele Georgia <--Incredible athlete, NFL potential, long shot for us.
  • Omarion Hammond (DL) - A.C Flora High School, Forest Acres South Carolina
  • Jason Henderson (LB/RB) - Delaware Valley High School, Milford PA <--Heavy Syracuse lean, but maybe we have a chance here because he hasn't pulled the trigger.
  • Aaron Session (OL) - Morton Ranch High School, Katy, Texas <--Lots of ivy offers, hard to read which way he is going.
  • Matthew Hummel (OL/DL) - North Hills High School, Pittsburgh PA <--I believe we still his best offer.
  • Jalen Garner (LB) - Norcross High School, Norcross Georgia <--Long shot, staff seems to be trying.
  • Al Leon Ashford (DB/WR) - Cherry Creek High School, Greenwood Village Colorado <--fresh offer, some twitter connects, not sure yet if we have a real chance.
  • Isiah Cox (WR) - Alcoa High School, Alcoa Tennessee <--ditto Ashford/ btw this is another incredible athlete with some great size/power combo for HS. Good follow back with our staff on twitter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
About a month ago...

>>UConn’s new TV deal for football, combined with the robust schedules assembled for the next five years, will provide the selling points coach Randy Edsall needs to kick-start recruiting.

“This is a really good day for us,” Edsall said in a conference call with reporters Monday, as the four-year agreement with CBS Sports was announced, “and it came at the right time because we’re right in the middle of recruiting kids from the 2021 cycle.”<<

>>“There’s no question,” he said. “Myself and our coaching staff, we really sat down and talked a lot about what is going to be our message and how are we going to market what we’re doing. By telling them, ‘Hey, we felt good about the television package’ and by telling them about the schedule we were playing, and how we’re going to play more Power Five [conference] teams now than what we would have staying where we were previously, that made a big impact with the kids we were talking to. So that helped us tremendously, and we’ve seen tremendous interest. ... Do we have a challenge ahead of us? Yes, we do. But we have an ability to go out and sell things to get the kind of kids we need to win."<<

>>“David and I had talked way back in June, who do you think we should play?” Edsall said. “Who would be good for our program? We said, ‘Here’s who we’d like to play because of recruiting.’ We were able to really stick to those guidelines and craft schedules that will really aid us from a recruiting standpoint, having kids here and their families seeing them and also going to places where they can get to.”<<

I stand corrected.
Thanks HM

Reaction Score
I would take Pajuste with no hesitation given Walker’s situation. You can shift one of the OG’s to DT if the position becomes crowded.

Reaction Score
Davin Lemmons is a 5-10 150lb WR from Amarillo High School in Amarillo Texas. Offers from Tulsa and Incarnate World.

sounds like one of those undersized talents that would fit nicely in a Husky uniform (a WR version of Terry Caulley)

Reaction Score
sounds like one of those undersized talents that would fit nicely in a Husky uniform (a WR version of Terry Caulley)
While I welcome any and all players who want to come to UConn and trust the staff, we already have a pair of smaller WRs in this class. Would love to see a big guy who could go up and get the ball.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
While I welcome any and all players who want to come to UConn and trust the staff, we already have a pair of smaller WRs in this class. Would love to see a big guy who could go up and get the ball.
Thats my feeling as well. Got two WR committed and one more with a medium build might be close. Probably will look to try again to get that big catching radius target somewhere between now and 2/1/21 for that fourth slot - if we have room four four (we should, but it would likely require some early departures). Might have to wait until January to find it. Tall WRs with ability can be tough for us to reel in as the big programs seem to covet the same.

Otherwise, Lemmons has plenty of potential - I would't complain if that was the decision. Plenty of cut ability, looks like a guy that takes route craft seriously and has an extra gear. D1 corners are certainly going to challenge him getting off the line however.

Reaction Score
At that size my guess is the kid can really run. We need speed on special teams desperately.

Reaction Score
Remember when we had a LB crew of Lutrus, Lawrence, Sio Moore and Lloyd?

I don't know anything about Mr. Henderson, but if he wrestles at 195 he probably walks around at 210 and evidently he can run. Let's put 20 LBs of muscle on the kid and start building a LB unit...…...as opposed to whatever we've had the last several years...…...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Recently 247's Temple beat guy gave a nod to Kamara to Temple.

Also, looks like 247 is in the process of rolling out more grades. Maybe these have been there for a while and I am late to notice, but anyways some new grades viewed when you click on the player profile:

Henderson LB - 86 <--still predicted to be a Syracuse lock by Dohn.
Anthony WR - 83
Ashford DB/CR - 83
Boti DL - 82
Sessions OT- 84

Of the dudes we are pursuing, I feel like we are closest on Anthony and perhaps Ugbaja. Both would be great gets however Ugbaja would represent a true step up pulling in someone with a big offer list like Michigan, Vandy, Syracuse and Wake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom