2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders… | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2021 Coaching Carousel picking up riders…

Reaction Score
Pipe dream for him to ever come here huh?
Ugh. This was the risk with hiring so early in the process, would much rather have Coach Moorhead.

With that said you can’t blame UCONN for striking early. This program needed to hit ground running with recruiting and hiring Coach Mora when they did will help to that end.

Still bummed though.

Reaction Score
Ugh. This was the risk with hiring so early in the process, would much rather have Coach Moorhead.

With that said you can’t blame UCONN for striking early. This program needed to hit ground running with recruiting and hiring Coach Mora when they did will help to that end.

Still bummed though.
I'm good with Mora. All signs are we outkicked our coverage with his hire.

My comment is more for the chatter on here how "Joe Moorhead is not a realistic option for UConn". Proving once again, no one knows anything. At the end of the day, doesn't look like P5 jobs are tripping over themselves to hire him.

Now he is still young and going there and having success could get him another opportunity and i think he is outstanding. I'll be rooting for him.

Reaction Score
this is true for Mora ... and not hiring Mora

OR. Marrying that pretty flight attendant or waiting for the girl you grew up with

WE should feel confident about Mora and move along. Happy to watch/assist the rebuild something that is important to us. Moorhead would be great; I don't think AKRON is his destination - he has much greater opportunity set given this off-season; and who knows ... he might just hate Connecticut people or Pepys pizza or the Storrs campus or not get along with DB,

I think we can be confident that Dave Benedict (in my experience with highly competent productive people) would contact JM in the 60 days from HCRE exit to Mora hiring. He obviously had that guy on his mind in that term. Mora WAS the pick.

Reaction Score
Al Golden on line 1:

Wow. I thought he'd be in line for one of the ACC openings. Well, it's still FBS....and the MAC is no slouch. It's more of a blue collar league. He'll do great here.

Reaction Score
O

It is only Thamel. I think - if it is real - it may motivate the Washingtons, the Dukes, the VaTech to get moving faster

Reaction Score
this is true for Mora ... and not hiring Mora

OR. Marrying that pretty flight attendant or waiting for the girl you grew up with

WE should feel confident about Mora and move along. Happy to watch/assist the rebuild something that is important to us. Moorhead would be great; I don't think AKRON is his destination - he has much greater opportunity set given this off-season; and who knows ... he might just hate Connecticut people or Pepys pizza or the Storrs campus or not get along with DB,

I think we can be confident that Dave Benedict (in my experience with highly competent productive people) would contact JM in the 60 days from HCRE exit to Mora hiring. He obviously had that guy on his mind in that term. Mora WAS the pick.
He probably wanted to finish out his season and see what options unfolded for him. In the meantime you had Mora contacting Benedict and saying HE WANTED the UConn job. Joe M probably overplayed his hand a little.

Reaction Score
O

It is only Thamel. I think - if it is real - it may motivate the Washingtons, the Dukes, the VaTech to get moving faster
His time at Mississippi State wasn't the prettiest with some off field stuff. He may have to prove himself in terms of running a program before someone pays him a P5 salary again. There is zero doubt he can coach offense.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Still bummed though.
We finally have reason for some excitement, amplified by what appear to be a number of very good additions to the staff and we already have posters lamenting not pursuing someone who a) we may not have been able to land, b) may not be as good of a head coach/program administrator as the guy we hired and c) absolutely could not provide the immediate credibility boost that our new head coach provides.

The Boneyard never disappoints.

Reaction Score
We finally have reason for some excitement, amplified by what appear to be a number of very good additions to the staff and we already have posters lamenting not pursuing someone who a) we may not have been able to land, b) may not be as good of a head coach/program administrator as the guy we hired and c) absolutely could not provide the immediate credibility boost that our new head coach provides.

The Boneyard never disappoints.
I think it’s okay for me to say Moorhead was my top choice. Doesn’t mean Coach Mora won’t do well, and doesn’t mean UCONN hiring as early as they did was the wrong move (I have said before that I think it was wise to hire as soon as possible).

Just bad timing it appears.

Reaction Score
Remember the David Benedict statement early on - the one Boneyard community scoffed at - about Charisma

YOU have a guy working to SELL a rising. A rebirth of this Program. To the CT football community of coaches, cities/towns, fans. And my word - he's pretty good at that. You may overlook that. But that was one of Benedict's priorities; and frankly, each of us cares enough to understand this was part of the job. The moves in the Northeast? Marinelli and Charlton ... and youth. All good. So me ... I love the Joe Moorhead story; but we have turned the page. And eager to read every bit of change in the coming weeks. WE are gonna have a new roster; there will be opportunities and some loss.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think it’s okay for me to say Moorhead was my top choice. Doesn’t mean Coach Mora won’t do well, and doesn’t mean UCONN hiring as early as they did was the wrong move (I have said before that I think it was wise to hire as soon as possible).

Just bad timing it appears.
For openers I was primarily poking fun at the Boneyard as a whole (and the inherent disfunction of such a disparate group), not criticizing your post. I personally would have been thrilled if we could have landed Moorehead (if you look back I was posting for him to be the top choice). It was not meant as a personal attack and I apologize if you interpreted it that way.

I believe it became important to Benedict to capitalize on the advantage of hiring someone early. I also believe that he did better than I could have hoped for with this hire.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm good with Mora. All signs are we outkicked our coverage with his hire.

My comment is more for the chatter on here how "Joe Moorhead is not a realistic option for UConn". Proving once again, no one knows anything. At the end of the day, doesn't look like P5 jobs are tripping over themselves to hire him.

Now he is still young and going there and having success could get him another opportunity and i think he is outstanding. I'll be rooting for him.
At this hour I was wrong about Moorhead and his options post season, but I would rather have Mora after what we have seen this far.

We’ll see where Moorhead lands and for what kind of money.

Reaction Score
At this hour I was wrong about Moorhead and his options post season, but I would rather have Mora after what we have seen this far.

We’ll see where Moorhead lands and for what kind of money.
I wasn't calling anyone out. I didn't think we could land him either, but if he ends up at Akron we were all wrong.

Reaction Score
USC can be a Top Program in the Pac12

So could Washington, Oregon, UCLA ... and maybe Utah or Stanford.

There's nothing structural about USC that makes it comparatively beyond the others. I dunno what is going on with Chip Kelly - and I have watched a half dozen games (one in person as a alum). But there is nothing in my mind that automatically gets you back to the Platform that Pete Carroll had. Lincoln Riley has to be special to chin his way beyond, I don't think we have seen the best of Cristobal.
USC is the boss of the West Coast. They’ve had a down period but their history resources and being in LA make them king

Riley most likely already has 3 five star recruits (QB, RB, WR all from CA and committed to OU) following him to USC

He’s going to have that program back in the National Championship picture year in and year out without having to deal with the grueling SEC schedule

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom