2021-22 Non-UConn WBB News | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2021-22 Non-UConn WBB News

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Portland with both Stanford and Oregon on their non-conference schedule along with mighty Stephen F Austin. Kim Mulkey can only dream of having such a schedule.
They were a big surprise in '19-'20, but then took a step backward the following year. Where will they go from here? Fowler from Australia is a nice player.

Wow, looking at their roster they have 6 from Australia and one from New Zealand. Quite a pipeline they have going.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not directly related, perhaps, but I saw a price mention. While Arizona WBB tix definitely went up, they are still pretty cheap, I think under $200 for a season. However, our floor seats in "scholarship row" (so called) went up to $400 each. Previously I think they were more in the $200 range IIRC. They used to split a seat fee off, but like other sports they have now rolled it all together.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Have you seen the Baylor roster - 1 Junior, 1 Sophomore, 1 Freshman, 0 22 commits
1630265053178.png

Reaction Score
Have you seen the Baylor roster - 1 Junior, 1 Sophomore, 1 Freshman, 0 22 commits
View attachment 69508
Some of those seniors could come back technically but I doubt N. Smith will. They will have to hit the portal hard next offseason. As we have seen in recent years and especially with coaching changes, kids will sometimes bolt as after year 1 with a new coach if it isn't what they expected or wanted.

Reaction Score
It's the Bay Area. Way more to do here than attend Stanford sporting events. If I didn't live so close (walking distance!) I probably wouldn't either.
Very true, however I thought (assumed) there was a larger fan base that would attend.

Reaction Score
Very true, however I thought (assumed) there was a larger fan base that would attend.
The Bay area has 4 professional teams plus lots of things to do if you do not go to a sporting event. The DC area (DMV) has the same issue with 6 professional teams. The men basketball team do pretty well. The women team not so much. The big South Carolina game in 2019 which I believe was on a Sunday only had about 10,000 in attendance.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The Bay area has 4 professional teams plus lots of things to do if you do not go to a sporting event. The DC area (DMV) has the same issue with 6 professional teams. The men basketball team do pretty well. The women team not so much. The big South Carolina game in 2019 which I believe was on a Sunday only had about 10,000 in attendance.
It really cannot be understated how much traffic and distance matters w/r/t Stanford. As hard as DC has it, in DC a lot of folks live a 20-30 minute commute from the Verizon Center, and it's easy to catch a weekday evening game from work if you live downtown. Most Stanford alums migrate up to SF or the East Bay, and that's a round-trip drive that's often longer than the game itself. And many Stanford games are often at weird times like 6 p.m. on a Friday, which is a recipe for absolutely bonkers traffic...

Reaction Score
As a Denverite, I’m so glad I can catch most of Stanford’s games on TV, That being said, I’m going to try and start supporting Denver University led by the admirable Doisha Woods this year—and I will buy anyone who wants to go to a game with me a drink at Asbury Provisions. It is a standing offer for any game, and I encourage anyone to take me up on it,

if anyone in Denver wants to go to a game at CU Boulder, please hit me up, as I would be delighted for a travel buddy out to Boulder—and root for Stanford or CU Boulder,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It really cannot be understated how much traffic and distance matters w/r/t Stanford. As hard as DC has it, in DC a lot of folks live a 20-30 minute commute from the Verizon Center, and it's easy to catch a weekday evening game from work if you live downtown. Most Stanford alums migrate up to SF or the East Bay, and that's a round-trip drive that's often longer than the game itself. And many Stanford games are often at weird times like 6 p.m. on a Friday, which is a recipe for absolutely bonkers traffic...
I assume that BART doesn't service the Stanford campus. METRO and MARC do service College Park but after you get off the train, you have to catch the shuttle to Maryland Field (football) and Xfinity (Basketball, volleyball, etc.)

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I assume that BART doesn't service the Stanford campus. METRO and MARC do service College Park but after you get off the train, you have to catch the shuttle to Maryland Field (football) and Xfinity (Basketball, volleyball, etc.)
When BART was started, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties declined to participate. Caltrain does have stops near campus. There's a very close stop that's active only for football games. The downtown Palo Alto station that's active every day is 1.6 miles from Maples.

Reaction Score
That’s one heck of a schedule for Stanford. That tough schedule when you consider that they are also in the best conference in the country at the moment is even more impressive
The Big 10 will catch up a little this season. They have at least 4 top 12 teams. Maryland, Indiana, Iowa and Michigan. Ohio State and Michigan State are top 25 teams as well.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 will catch up a little this season. They have at least 4 top 12 teams. Maryland, Indiana, Iowa and Michigan. Ohio State and Michigan State are top 25 teams as well.

There’s no denying that the Big 10 has some fine teams, but when the last time a Big 10 team made the final four is 2015, it’s hard to take them seriously.

I’m curious to see how the PAC does this season. I expect Arizona to take a small step back without Aari. UCLA still had a pretty great season last year while dealing with a very small roster due to injuries—they just ran out of steam at the end. If Oregon can put Sabally, Pao-Pao, and Prince on the floor together, they will continue to be dangerous. Washington State will hopefully continue on their upswing under Ethridge. Washington and USC have new coaches, so may be slightly unknown quantities. Colorado has Hollinghead back, so they’ll find some magic against Stanford, but be unimpressive elsewhere.

Reaction Score
There’s no denying that the Big 10 has some fine teams, but when the last time a Big 10 team made the final four is 2015, it’s hard to take them seriously.

I’m curious to see how the PAC does this season. I expect Arizona to take a small step back without Aari. UCLA still had a pretty great season last year while dealing with a very small roster due to injuries—they just ran out of steam at the end. If Oregon can put Sabally, Pao-Pao, and Prince on the floor together, they will continue to be dangerous. Washington State will hopefully continue on their upswing under Ethridge. Washington and USC have new coaches, so may be slightly unknown quantities. Colorado has Hollinghead back, so they’ll find some magic against Stanford, but be unimpressive elsewhere.

Looking forward to seeing this team this upcoming season. I'm a fan of one of their incoming freshman Tara Wallack, who is from British Columbia. I think she played well during the recent U19 tournament. Hoping it translates to the PAC-12 level.

Reaction Score

I agree that the Big 10 has some work to do. Especially Maryland who has a legit top 5 team. They just have to learn to put it all together in the tournament. The complaint with Maryland was they never scheduled tough OOC opponents. There is no excuse this season as the OOC schedule is loaded this season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Colorado has Hollinghead back, so they’ll find some magic against Stanford, but be unimpressive elsewhere.
:) That's pretty funny. I'm curious to see how the 2 Washington transfers will fare at CU. I've never really been a fan of Sherrod, I wonder if Sadler will take some of her minutes at PG. Coach Payne hasn't shown any inclination toward a 2 PG lineup as far as I'm aware. Miller can certainly help in the post rotation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom