2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I’ve been converted. Methinks 85% of offers or known information gets on social media - mostly twitter. Ok. I accept that.

One thing different on HCRE 2.0, he’s not bringing in 5-7 to 5-9 corners. All his DBs are over 5-11. Most are 6-0 to 6-2.

Then. I think Jackson Mitchell is gonna surprise. It’s speed & skill & body type. But #18? I see someone that Edsall sought and locked up. LB will be a new world for him ... like Lutrus. But you can’t measure the desire to be excellent.

Reaction Score
<--And isn't this what it boils down too? Far more stones overturned by every program = fewer dirty diamonds in hiding. So bingo, Randy in the 2.0 era has to battle for every single kid...except for the couple he gets from his camps.

As for the film, that film is much more quickly and widely disseminated today. Much more than in the past. Coaches (like all of us) can watch it on our smart phones while sitting on the can in some airport. That just wasnt the case back when we had dumb phones, DSL and clumsy/slow means to transfer large digital video files on CDs/etc. There is just no way staffs in the 2000s could look at as many kids than as they do today. No way its comparable. And more eyes is not good for Randy 2.0. Today there is instant tape on virtually every kid at every program nationwide.

What we cant do very well here is really compare that Randy 1.0 HS recruiting film to todays kids to gauge where Randy 2.0 is really at relative to 1.0. Are we ahead, behind or the same, difficult to tell.
The under the radar kids are overlooked because they are underdeveloped, late bloomers, playing out of position, late to playing football, local colleges are full at their position, etc. In the Northeast, the best athlete on a high school team may play QB or RB, but they don't project as FBS players at their positions. But, they could be moved to WR, DB, LB, TE, etc. and be very good FBS players.

Look at a player like Jordan Todman. He was under the radar despite being 2x all-state, Boston Globe player of the year as a senior, 2nd all-time rusher in Massachusetts history, had teammates commit to Georgia, BC, and UNH. Why? Most thought he was better suited to play defense or he was too small to play RB. And, BC had a good recruiting class of RBs that year which included Montel Harris, BC's 2nd leading all-time rusher. UConn offered him to play RB and the rest is history. RE 1.0 is full of stories like this.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Look at a player like Jordan Todman. He was under the radar despite being 2x all-state, Boston Globe player of the year as a senior, 2nd all-time rusher in Massachusetts history, had teammates commit to Georgia, BC, and UNH. Why? Most thought he was better suited to play defense or he was too small to play RB. And, BC had a good recruiting class of RBs that year which included Montel Harris, BC's 2nd leading all-time rusher. UConn offered him to play RB and the rest is history. RE 1.0 is full of stories like this.
<--Wait, Jordan Todman qualifies as an "under the radar guy?"

He's one of the few kids who had public HS tape out there back in 2007. I remember it, it was electric.

He played on a team that was 12-1. He racked up over 6k yards in high school and finished as the second leading rusher all time in MA. He also took gold in the 100 meters at track with a 10.92 time.

According to Rivals, he was offered by BC and Purdue along with UConn. They also note Penn St took some interest as well.

Todman was no secret.

I think Bryon Jones and Blidi Wreh-Wilson are two players that I would say meet the definition of "under the radar" types, not Jordan Todman.

Reaction Score
<--Wait, Jordan Todman qualifies as an "under the radar guy?"

He's one of the few kids who had public HS tape out there back in 2007. I remember it, it was electric.

He played on a team that was 12-1. He racked up over 6k yards in high school and finished as the second leading rusher all time in MA. He also took gold in the 100 meters at track with a 10.92 time.

According to Rivals, he was offered by BC and Purdue along with UConn. They also note Penn St took some interest as well.

Todman was no secret.

I think Bryon Jones and Blidi Wreh-Wilson are two players that I would say meet the definition of "under the radar" types, not Jordan Todman.
The other schools offered Todman to play defense. He was an under the radar RB.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The other schools offered Todman to play defense. He was an under the radar RB.
He was extremely visible. This is not a good example.

Reaction Score

Charles Finley is a 6-4 215lb WR/TE from DePaul Catholic in Wayne, New Jersey. Other offers from Howard, Maryland, Morgan State, Pitt, Rutgers and UMass.

Highlights

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
NY: FBS recruits 2004 = 19, P5 recruits 2019 = 7

NJ: FBS recruits 2004 = 47, P5 recruits 2019 = 40

PA: FBS recruits 2004 = 58, P5 recruits 2019 = 31

Something else to consider. Since 2000, FL has added whopping 6.8 million people and Texas has added a stunning 8.7 million people. Over that same time period CT has added a mere 250k to bring us up to 3.5 million. Meanwhile locally NJ added 700k, PA 1 million and NY about 2 million people.

I don't disagree with the premise that there are fewer D1 prospects in PA/NY/NJ than in the past, but that might not be the entire story. Part of the reduction may have to do with the shear growth in football states like TX and FL (and other southern states) which just dwarfs anything north. It maybe many of those bottom kids in NY/NJ and PA are losing their seats to influx of football talent in those southern states.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Ironically he's a university professor, you knew that right? Lecturing is just normal discourse for him. Yes, he has taken upon himself to remind of us of the 1999 to 2011 era every two weeks or 2 pages on this thread. His thesis is that nothing has changed, dirty undiscovered diamonds remain abundant. He also stridently believes that its not possible for anyone not practiced at university level scouting to have an opinion on recruiting.

Time will tell. My thesis; 1/2 of RE 1.0 era dirty diamonds would have been plucked by other teams if they had resources and instant networking we have today. There are far fewer dirty diamonds because every staff is tirelessly turning over every rock. What hasn't changed? Video still tells you nothing about a kid's character, desire and coachability and whether or not they have more growing to do. Randy will have to outfox people on the intangibles because the pure athletes are getting found no matter where they are hiding these days. He will also have to bet (ie gamble) more on the late bloomers.

The Scott Lutrus' of the world get pulled into the ACC in todays football.

I agree it’s like any business, if you don’t keep up with technological change, you fall behind. Look at all the grad assistants we have on our staff,as do other schools, to sit at a computer and review HS videos of prospects.

C

Chief00

Something else to consider. Since 2000, FL has added whopping 6.8 million people and Texas has added a stunning 8.7 million people. Over that same time period CT has added a mere 250k to bring us up to 3.5 million. Meanwhile locally NJ added 700k, PA 1 million and NY about 2 million people.

I don't disagree with the premise that there are fewer D1 prospects in PA/NY/NJ than in the past, but that might not be the entire story. Part of the reduction may have to do with the shear growth in football states like TX and FL (and other southern states) which just dwarfs anything north. It maybe many of those bottom kids in NY/NJ and PA are losing their seats to influx of football talent in those southern states.
Interesting data. Of course, you need to sort out demographics down a level, is FL growth due to baby boomers retiring there?
Is TX due to the migration from Mexico where the primary sport is soccer? Having said that, it’s no doubt we are falling behind in CT when it comes to growth.

Reaction Score
I lived in San Diego when Marshall Faulk was there. Went to game against Miami when he was there but unfortunately he was hurt and didn't play and Miami killed. That award winning QB on the Miami team wasn't even in the top ten best players on his own team that year, boy Miami was good.
Reason bringing up was lot of colleges wanted Marshall, but as DB, but San Diego State got him as told him he could try out as RB. Rest is history.
Seems to be similar to the Todman story.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to dispute the Exit 4 narrative of Jordan Todman. However, I seem to remember that he had scant film or stats his Junior year. So his recruiting wasn’t too hot pre Senior as he was rising. As he blew up, we were there early. But yes ... Purdue, BC and others arrived.

The other thing I remember is his Home situation was not standard. I thought I read that he lived with a teammate or something; he had work to do on academics.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m not going to dispute the Exit 4 narrative of Jordan Todman. However, I seem to remember that he had scant film or stats his Junior year. So his recruiting wasn’t too hot pre Senior as he was rising. As he blew up, we were there early. But yes ... Purdue, BC and others arrived.

The other thing I remember is his Home situation was not standard. I thought I read that he lived with a teammate or something; he had work to do on academics.
I don’t think he racked up all those yards his senior year alone (second all time rusher in MA history), he had to very productive as a junior.

And you are correct, he did not have a standard home life. He moved in with another family in high school to find stability.

Reaction Score

Reyan Blake is a 6-0 185lb DB from Seminole Ridge High School in Loxahatchee Florida.

Highlights

As an aside for the seeming angst about TR moving on - Coach Perkins has been recruiting Central/Southern Florida for a long time.

Reaction Score
It was Perkins who brought in a handful of Georgia kids early in his first term. He’s a good recruiting coach.

Reaction Score

Nick Schwitzgebel is a 6-3 285lb OL from St Ignatius in Cleveland Ohio. Other offers from Akron, BGSU, CMU, Colorado State, Kent State, Louisville, Princeton, Toledo, Yale and Youngstown State.

Reaction Score

James Mitchell is a 6-1 270lb DL from Duncanville High School in Duncanville Texas. Other offers from Alabama A&M, Arkansas, Colorado, Colorado State, Grambling, Kansas, Louisiana-Lafayette, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Texas, Tennessee State, Texas State, Tulane, Southern University, Vanderbilt and BC

Highlights

Reaction Score

Kobe Wilson is a 6-0 210lb LB from Parkview High School in Lilburn Georgia. Other offers from Arizona State, BGSU, Coastal Carolina, Colorado State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Howard, Liberty, Memphis, Mercer, Navy, Pittsburgh, Samford, South Alabama Tennessee State and Troy.

Highlights

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Kobe Wilson is a 6-0 210lb LB from Parkview High School in Lilburn Georgia. Other offers from Arizona State, BGSU, Coastal Carolina, Colorado State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Howard, Liberty, Memphis, Mercer, Navy, Pittsburgh, Samford, South Alabama Tennessee State and Troy.

Highlights

Kobe’s tape is a reminder of what good LB play should like, particularly if you aren’t one of those 6’2’’ 240 thick shoulder LBs. He’s aggressive and wins with speed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom