2020 off-season transfers | Page 38 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Mikesell and Austin were the only transfers I could really see SC going after this offseason. Since neither panned out I’m pretty confident we’ll keep our roster as it is going into next season.

Reaction Score

This makes more sense than Austin to Ole Miss, but Taylor’s gonna have to watch out for them guards in that #1 freshmen class... if they impress this season or next, she might be looking at being part of the Bench mob. She’s definitely not playing point though I would assume, maybe backup.

Reaction Score
I guess the transfers out of Maryland continue because they want to do specific things on the court that Frese promises them as recruits and it just doesn’t turn out that way. She definitely wasn’t going to be the one initiating the plays with Owusu being there, who I thought would be the starting pg from day 1.

Reaction Score
I guess the transfers out of Maryland continue because they want to do specific things on the court that Frese promises them as recruits and it just doesn’t turn out that way. She definitely wasn’t going to be the one initiating the plays with Owusu being there, who I thought would be the starting pg from day 1.
It is not a surprise that the Maryland program transfers happen right after the end of season interviews with the players. Brenda is telling players things that they do not want to here. Brenda is fortunate that she is an excellent recruiter because most programs wouldn't survive the type of defections Maryland has had.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It is not a surprise that the Maryland program transfers happen right after the end of season interviews with the players. Brenda is telling players things that they do not want to here. Brenda is fortunate that she is an excellent recruiter because most programs wouldn't survive the type of defections Maryland has had.

I hold my breath whenever Dawn has her end of the season talks with the players. We've had a player leave us in August before so I don't breathe again until the season starts. Lol

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can you expand on the "things they do not want hear part". I'm trying to assess blame here. :D If the things that Brenda is telling them are the right things like you are not working hard enough or player X (i.e., Not You) gives us the best option to win then I blame the kids.
I watched Maryland live 2 games this season and was baffled by the lack of consistency from all the players.
There was never a good group that played well together for an extended period of time. There were times when Miller, Owusu, Masonius looked like the best 3 players on the floor and the POY candidate Charles looked lost and invisible. Watson was especially baffling-here Freshman swag was completely gone.

Reaction Score
Can you expand on the "things they do not want hear part". I'm trying to assess blame here. :D If the things that Brenda is telling them are the right things like you are not working hard enough or player X (i.e., Not You) gives us the best option to win then I blame the kids.
I watched Maryland live 2 games this season and was baffled by the lack of consistency from all the players.
There was never a good group that played well together for an extended period of time. There were times when Miller, Owusu, Masonius looked like the best 3 players on the floor and the POY candidate Charles looked lost and invisible. Watson was especially baffling-here Freshman swag was completely gone.
I think there is blame on both sides. But if I was to point the needle on one side or the other it would be more toward the coach. Sometimes you run a program where players become "uncomfortable" and they wind up leaving (sorry I can't elaborate more). But it takes a certain type of player to stick it out at Maryland for 4 years. Obviously Mikesell and Austin were not those type of players. Looking back, the last time Maryland has had a class that everyone stayed all four years was the 2012 class (Malina Howard, Tierney Pfirman and Chloe Pavlech). Not including one player classes (2011 - Brene Moseley and 2006 - Emery Wallace), only the 2004 (Langhorne, Harper, Newman, Perry) and 2005 (Coleman and Toliver) stayed all four years. It takes a special player to play for Brenda but the players who stayed (and some who transferred (Ace Harrison and Sarah Myers) really love her. At least Maryland is not Georgetown (both men and women with mass transfers of at least 5 players) and Auburn.

As far as the players and team last season, considering they only played 9 players because of injury/illness/transfer, I thought they did pretty well. Especially after the first Iowa game. They were really dominant. Kaila Charles did not play like a preseason All American. Blair Watson offense deserted her but she was one of the top 5 defensive players in the entire country. Stephanie Jones played well in February and March and had a great Big 10 tournament. Austin was better offensive this season but not as good defensively but that was mainly due to Maryland's defensive scheme. Mikesell had a terrible Thanksgiving tournament but had some great offensive games down the stretch. The veterans were really good in February and March. Ashley Owusu was the best player in the Big 10 tournament. Really dominant. If she can play like that for three more years, Maryland will be really good in the future.

Reaction Score
I took a look at the roster I guess Mimi Collins assumes the role Austin vacated and Bibby plays next to her. Will Angel Reese play wing over Diamond Miller? Or she start at the four over Bibby? I didn’t know she was the lone recruit, Maryland has almost never had a class of one. I also didn’t know UConn Alum Kaili McClaren was on staff as director of recruiting.

Reaction Score
I took a look at the roster I guess Mimi Collins assumes the role Austin vacated and Bibby plays next to her. Will Angel Reese play wing over Diamond Miller? Or she start at the four over Bibby? I didn’t know she was the lone recruit, Maryland has almost never had a class of one. I also didn’t know UConn Alum Kaili McClaren was on staff as director of recruiting.
A lot with C Bibby is going to be determined by her continued recovery from her knee injury. She is not the best leaper but is very strong and gets good position on rebounds. She isn’t especially quick but anticipates angles on defense and uses her strength to her advantage. Year before last she played the three and really was better in that role. She is quick getting off her shot from a screen and helps with breaking a press and inbound plays.

Reaction Score
Bibby might have to sit out if she doesn’t get a waiver, but I think Reese will start at the 4 & Miller starts at 3. If Bibby gets a waiver, then things will get interesting but Miller should be starting IMHO. & Reese might not be the lone recruit anymore according to this.... I haven’t seen it officially announced yet though.

Reaction Score
A lot with C Bibby is going to be determined by her continued recovery from her knee injury. She is not the best leaper but is very strong and gets good position on rebounds. She isn’t especially quick but anticipates angles on defense and uses her strength to her advantage. Year before last she played the three and really was better in that role. She is quick getting off her shot from a screen and helps with breaking a press and inbound plays.
I’ve been thinking Miller at the 2, Reece at the 3, and Bibby at the 4.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think that is the plan if Bibby is immediately eligible. That would be a pretty good team.

Has anyone confirmed if Bibby is going to be grad transfer or not? Seems very unusual for a player to transfer after their junior season unless they're a grad transfer.

Most colleges only allow you to bring 2 years of credit from your previous school, so she'd basically lose a full year of credits from transferring if it's an undergrad transfer.

Reaction Score
Has anyone confirmed if Bibby is going to be grad transfer or not? Seems very unusual for a player to transfer after their junior season unless they're a grad transfer.

Most colleges only allow you to bring 2 years of credit from your previous school, so she'd basically lose a full year of credits from transferring if it's an undergrad transfer.
As far as I know Bibby isn’t going to be a graduate transfer. It’s possible but typically that stipulation is mentioned when the player decides to move on.

Reaction Score
I think that is the plan if Bibby is immediately eligible. That would be a pretty good team.
Where would Benzan fit in though? Since Owusu is starting at the 1.

I was wondering the same thing too but I’m thinking maybe she didn’t graduate yet & to be a grad transfer- the player would have graduated & enrolled in the new school as a grad transfer pursuing their master’s. (I think)

Reaction Score
Dijonai carrington is announcing tomorrow! I’m hoping and thinking it’s baylor

Reaction Score

Nothing is official but to date everything has referenced her being a traditional transfer. However I would not be surprised if she ended up being a grad transfer. She made good grades and may be able to finish online. In contrast she has already signed with Maryland. Therefore she is no longer on scholarship at Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
Dijonai carrington is announcing tomorrow! I’m hoping and thinking it’s baylor
I also think it’s Baylor. She is very close to her former teammates at Stanford and I doubt she will want to stay in the PAC-12 and play multiple times against her former teammates who will be heavy favorites to win the conference next year.

She would be a great addition at Oregon but I just don’t see it happening.

Reaction Score
I also think it’s Baylor. She is very close to her former teammates at Stanford and I doubt she will want to stay in the PAC-12 and play multiple times against her former teammates who will be heavy favorites to win the conference next year.

She would be a great addition at Oregon but I just don’t see it happening.

Minyon Moore grad transferred from Southern Cal to Oregon. You could be right though.

Reaction Score
Minyon Moore grad transferred from Southern Cal to Oregon. You could be right though.

When Minyon transferred, Southern California was expected to be bottom half of the conference the next year and she knew it. Her former teammates weren’t expecting a championship. Different story with Carrington.

Reaction Score
When Minyon transferred, Southern California was expected to be bottom half of the conference the next year and she knew it. Her former teammates weren’t expecting a championship. Different story with Carrington.
Listening to Dijonai in interviews she definitely wants to expand her brand. She has the Stanford stuff down with 2 degrees from there. The 3 she picked are all good options for her. I also think the Mikesell xfr may only help since she has only 1 year left and Mikesell will probably not get a waiver so the Ducks are still in the picture. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom