2020 off-season transfers | Page 40 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting move.

Crooms is tough. She's solidy built and uses it to her advantage to get into the lane for a pretty soft jumper. Has good court vision, too, which makes her a fine combo guard. She got time at Ohio State when she was a frosh, but in her soph year, McGuff got a bunch of freshmen and a transfer and her minutes went down. BTW, went to the same high school in Rhode Island as former ND men's star Bonzie Colson.

Suzy Merchant has, like, doubled her squad this spring. Crooms joins 2020 frosh Kendall Bostic (Kokomo, Indiana) and Matilda Ekh (Västerås, Sweden), as well as other transfers Lauren Rewers (Coeur D'Alene, Idaho), Alisia Smith (Lansing, Michigan) and Jayla James (Upper Marlboro, Maryland), as the newest members of the MSU women's basketball team. Both Smith and James played at Penn State last year.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My understanding is that she played her freshman year then sat out this past year. If she transfers then she would have to sit out another year. Are you saying that she would be able to play two years and then get the third year back based on a medical waiver?
No.
It is several separate things often confused.
1) Years of Eligibility She will be able to play 3 more years regardless because th NCAA gives you 4 years of eligibility. She did not play last year. When you don't play you don't lose eligibility.
2) Transfer You also don't lose eligibility when you transfer. You may have to sit a year but you don't lose eligibility.
3) Medical Redshirt Really doesn't apply here. Medical only applies if she had played in some games and was unable to play in others due to injury. Since she sat the entire season medical does not matter for NCAA purposes because all the NCAA cares about is that she did not play in any games therefore she did not lose her eligibility.
4) Standard Redshirt. This is the same as a healthy scratch where a coach makes a decision not to play a player for an entire season. AKA Jeff Waltz's specialty.
5) 5 calendar years to use 4 years of eligibility The NCAA gives her 5 years to use up your 4 years worth of eligibility. When that 5 year window is up, (for her that would be in 2023) she can apply for an extension to that calendar but she cannot gain additional eligibility she simply gets more time to use her remaining eligibility. Getting your calendar extended is almost automatically granted with simple documentation. Injured players show documentation of an injury but the documentation could be as simple as "I took off a few year to find myself" or to have a baby.
6) Scholarship. You can be on scholarship for as long as you want provided some school is willing to give
you one that same school does not exceed 15 scholarships for WCBB in any single season. Players sitting out a season due to transfer are on scholarship for the sit season and that scholarship does count against the limit of 15.

Reaction Score
No.
It is several separate things often confused.
1) Years of Eligibility She will be able to play 3 more years regardless because th NCAA gives you 4 years of eligibility. She did not play last year. When you don't play you don't lose eligibility.
2) Transfer You also don't lose eligibility when you transfer. You may have to sit a year but you don't lose eligibility.
3) Medical Redshirt Really doesn't apply here. Medical only applies if she had played in some games and was unable to play in others due to injury. Since she sat the entire season medical does not matter for NCAA purposes because all the NCAA cares about is that she did not play in any games therefore she did not lose her eligibility.
4) Standard Redshirt. This is the same as a healthy scratch where a coach makes a decision not to play a player for an entire season. AKA Jeff Waltz's specialty.
5) 5 calendar years to use 4 years of eligibility The NCAA gives her 5 years to use up your 4 years worth of eligibility. When that 5 year window is up, (for her that would be in 2023) she can apply for an extension to that calendar but she cannot gain additional eligibility she simply gets more time to use her remaining eligibility. Getting your calendar extended is almost automatically granted with simple documentation. Injured players show documentation of an injury but the documentation could be as simple as "I took off a few year to find myself" or to have a baby.
6) Scholarship. You can be on scholarship for as long as you want provided some school is willing to give
you one that same school does not exceed 15 scholarships for WCBB in any single season. Players sitting out a season due to transfer are on scholarship for the sit season and that scholarship does count against the limit of 15.
The five calendar years to play four is what I was talking about. She played her freshman year so that was her first calendar year of the five and her first eligibility year of the five. She sat her second calendar so she maintains her three eligible years. If she transfers then she burns another calendar year but technically not another year of eligibility. If she then plays the next two she plays her fourth and fifth calendar years and second and third eligibility years. So she would then only need to petition for a sixth calendar year due to having another eligibility year. I knew of players doing that due to one of those five years being injured or in odd and unusual situations like J Danberry where she argued that she only played small portions of a season. However I didn’t realize the extra calendar year was granted fairly commonly for other reasons like redshirting then sitting out. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Mitchell has done a 180. Some of the transfers and additions he has made over the last year is pretty strong.

when all the transfers are eligible and if Mitchell can mold that group together, they could be a very scary team
agreed. It’s just too bad they will only have one year with everyone together. The transfers will have to sit out a year probably. The following year will be Howard’s last year

Reaction Score
Mitchell has done a 180. Some of the transfers and additions he has made over the last year is pretty strong.

when all the transfers are eligible and if Mitchell can mold that group together, they could be a very scary team
Yes, Mitchell is definitely winning the transfer game. Wonder how Owens will fare at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
agreed. It’s just too bad they will only have one year with everyone together. The transfers will have to sit out a year probably. The following year will be Howard’s last year
Yep but maybe Treasure Hunt becomes Kentucky’s next true superstar & they’ll have a good 2-3 years with Hunt depending on each transfer’s eligibility.

Reaction Score
Yep but maybe Treasure Hunt becomes Kentucky’s next true superstar & they’ll have a good 2-3 years with Hunt depending on each transfer’s eligibility.

dont forget about Dre’Una Edwards who was 2019 pac 12 freshmen of the year. Kentucky is in great hands these next three years talent wise

Reaction Score
Do you have names of players that have been given a calendar extension beyond year 5 that is not medically related?

Reaction Score
Do you have names of players that have been given a calendar extension beyond year 5 that is not medically related?
J Danberry from Mississippi State. It hasn’t been officially published but it was generally believed they argued that she only got to play very little one season before her transfer. Either that or Coach Schaefer said “Come on guys let her play.”

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

General point is taken. BTW, as some of you may know, Owens sat out her sophomore season with medical issues and may be able to procure a waiver based on that. (Maybe is the operative word, of course.) She's got three years of eligibility. Good get and landing spot.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know if you consider pregnancy medical but I know of players that took a couple years off to have a baby and returned to play. Unfortunately I also know of a few players who either struggled with DI college academic loads and/or simple burnout from too much basketball and had to stretch that timeline to 6 years. It wouldn't be fair to put those names here.
BTW a player that transfers more than once and is required to sit more than one season also fall into that category. An example of that would be De'Janae Boykin who sat a year at PSU and another year at West Virginia.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Auburn adds a transfer, 5'8" freshman guard Alaina Rice from Florida A&M, who was the #2 scorer and #2 rebounder for the Rattlers at 10.1 ppg and 4.7 rpg.

Auburn lost 7 players to the transfer portal but, per the press release, "has now signed six new players during the offseason, five of whom can play this fall," including three JC transfers and two freshmen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
J Danberry from Mississippi State. It hasn’t been officially published but it was generally believed they argued that she only got to play very little one season before her transfer. Either that or Coach Schaefer said “Come on guys let her play.”
I don't know if you consider pregnancy medical but I know of players that took a couple years off to have a baby and returned to play. Unfortunately I also know of a few players who either struggled with DI college academic loads and/or simple burnout from too much basketball and had to stretch that timeline to 6 years. It wouldn't be fair to put those names here.
BTW a player that transfers more than once and is required to sit more than one season also fall into that category. An example of that would be De'Janae Boykin who sat a year at PSU and another year at West Virginia.
Thank you for the response.

I understand receiving an extra year for being pregnant. I thought that was the only way outside of a medical issue. I was still under the play 4 in 5 rule. I didn't know it had changed.

With how often players transfer today it's challenging to keep up......lol

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Does anyone have an idea how long A Morris has to sit and how much eligibility she will have left?
Unless she gets a waiver, she'll have to sit in 20-21.

She is now 3 years into her 5-year clock (she was in the same 2017 recruiting class as Didi Richards), but she has played only 2 of those seasons (sat out 18-19 after being dismissed from Baylor and then transferring midseason). She played in only 7 games for Rutgers in 19-20, but some of those games were past the midway point in the season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

More background.

Reaction Score
More background.

Oh Geez - Jerry Falwell Jr. needs to listen to Herm Edwards' advice...

1591914718854.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69