2020 off-season transfers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dara Mabrey is in the portal (according to Raoul and others).
Given ND's need for long-distance shooting and someone who could play lead guard, I'd think that the ND assistant coach in charge of recruiting (and lead guards, for that matter), Michaela Mabrey, might be in touch. ;)

Mabrey former teammate plays for Maryland. Faith Masonius.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mabrey former teammate plays for Maryland. Faith Masonius.

Thanks. One of our Jersey-bound posters on "the Bench" brought that up, as well.
She and Faith Masonius are really good friends. On the positive side, there's Masonius and the fact that College Park isn't that far a drive from South Jersey, so Dara's parents could see her play more often than they would if she went to, say, Notre Dame. Hey, the could even tag team with the Masonius gang!

On the other hand, Isn't the backcourt at Maryland pretty jammed with top-rate talent? Off the top of my head, there's Ashley Owusu, Diamond Miller (who was really coming on at the end of the year) and Taylor Mikesell, playing the same part as Dara: that of the long-range bomber. And Mikesell and Mabrey are the same age, with Owusu and Miller a year younger.

And Angel Reese is coming in next year to play wing, so it probably won't be a three-guard attack. Dara played the second most minutes for Va. Tech both years she was there, plus she rarely came out at Manasquan, so that would be big change in approach.

That said, she's familiar with Maryland and that place in South Bend so if there's a quick decision, I wouldn't be surprised to hear one of them.

Reaction Score
Thanks. One of our Jersey-bound posters on "the Bench" brought that up, as well.
She and Faith Masonius are really good friends. On the positive side, there's Masonius and the fact that College Park isn't that far a drive from South Jersey, so Dara's parents could see her play more often than they would if she went to, say, Notre Dame. Hey, the could even tag team with the Masonius gang!

On the other hand, Isn't the backcourt at Maryland pretty jammed with top-rate talent? Off the top of my head, there's Ashley Owusu, Diamond Miller (who was really coming on at the end of the year) and Taylor Mikesell, playing the same part as Dara: that of the long-range bomber. And Mikesell and Mabrey are the same age, with Owusu and Miller a year younger.

And Angel Reese is coming in next year to play wing, so it probably won't be a three-guard attack. Dara played the second most minutes for Va. Tech both years she was there, plus she rarely came out at Manasquan, so that would be big change in approach.

That said, she's familiar with Maryland and that place in South Bend so if there's a quick decision, I wouldn't be surprised to hear one of them.
Plus Maryland have former Iowa state player of the year Zoe Young and former starter Channise Lewis. So they are loaded in the backcourt. Plus Brenda has been in touch with Carrington (per Stanford poster). The issue with Maryland is they will only carry 10 scholarship players which leave very little wiggle room for injuries/illness. They had three of those this past season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Plus Maryland have former Iowa state player of the year Zoe Young and former starter Channise Lewis. So they are loaded in the backcourt. Plus Brenda has been in touch with Carrington (per Stanford poster). The issue with Maryland is they will only carry 10 scholarship players which leave very little wiggle room for injuries/illness. They had three of those this past season.

Positives can sometimes lead to problems, no?
So, you add in Young and Lewis and I see absolutely no reason why Mabrey -- who is used to pushing 30 minutes per game -- is going to translate that to sitting. As for the 10 players on the roster, the Terps only have one player coming in this year, right? Was that on purpose, to facilitate the Mimi Collins transfer eligibility? Or just an off year?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Apparently Stanford's Dijonai Carrington and Brenda Freese have started following each other on social media. Not liking that development one bit... For those who aren't following Stanford closely, both seniors Anna Wilson and Dijonai Carrington are seeking medical redshirts for a fifth year of eligibility, but Stanford only has one spot so we're uncertain how we could retain both short of Russell Wilson using his NFL money on his lil' sis.

Ah, this is a double down on what sent Marta Sniezek to see what she thought might be greener pastures, right? Lack of a scholarship position?

Ms. Carrington was getting playing time, so would she be the (more) obvious candidate for the last spot? And, even if Wilson can find a way to stick, might she want to head elsehwere to get some playing time, particularly if she's got the degree in hand?

Reaction Score
Positives can sometimes lead to problems, no?
So, you add in Young and Lewis and I see absolutely no reason why Mabrey -- who is used to pushing 30 minutes per game -- is going to translate that to sitting. As for the 10 players on the roster, the Terps only have one player coming in this year, right? Was that on purpose, to facilitate the Mimi Collins transfer eligibility? Or just an off year?
I think it was done on purpose. It also hard to have three consecutive great classes. High school girls see the writing on the wall with playing time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sabally or Hebard?

I could see Sabally potentially going before Cox, but its Dallas that has the number 2 pick. They need a defensive big. Sabally has a lot of upside, and could potentially play the 3 in the W if she has the right pieces around her. (She could be a DeWanna Bonner type of player). Hebard was a fantastic college player that shot a high percentage because of her size, agility, and having Sabrina as a PG for her 4 years. She's very talented, but I dont know if she's going to have to same success in the W. She doesnt have much of a jumpshot beyond the paint.

I am a Cox fan, so I am slightly biased. But she brings a lot to the table that won't show on stat sheets. Her numbers have never been great, but she has never had to be the player to score a lot. In Dallas, she won't have to be either. In fact, she'll be the one passing to Arike and KLS a lot. She can score at all three levels if needed. Offensively, her best asset is being a facilitator and being a willing passer for the best shot. Even if she doesnt get the assist, her pass is often the one that starts a chain reaction to a score.

She plays defense at a higher level than Hebard and Sabally. I see her more as a 4 in the W, but I think she'll he fine as a 5 for now with Dallas. She is very good at blocking and altering shots, and her presence deters players from going in there. She can even guard some 3s if she ends up switched onto them. Of course not for a whole game, but she can be effective as a perimeter defender for a possession here or there.

Sabrina has been the straw that stirred Oregon's drink for her whole career. Lauren was the player that did that for Baylor in her last two seasons. Hebard was the better player their first two seasons, but Cox is the better player now. Cox is the complete package for a post player. Hebard hasn't really other facets of the game besides scoring and rebounding. Give me Cox every day of the week

Cox is 100% a 5. Defensively she's the best post to enter the pros since Griner. She has length but isn't going to do well chasing 3s or 4s around on the perimeter. It's tough to pass up on Satou, but I'd take Lauren 2nd if I'm Dallas. She has the size and skills to compete with other bigs like Cambage, Wilson, Griner, and McCowan. Local kid too who will help gets fans in seats. Her game is somewhat reminiscent of Stef Dolson, but Cox will be better in all areas aside from maybe shooting. Dallas has 4 draft picks, too, so it's realistic that they could land her, Megan Walker, and Ruthy Hebard with the first 7 picks. Add that on to Arike Ogunbowale, Moriah Jefferson, and KLS and you have a REALLY talented young core there.

I think Hebard will be another Crystal Langhorne in the league. Exceptional around the basket, very quick feet, great touch, not a great shot blocker and doesn't have immense size. She'd be a great 4 to pair with Cox since their skill sets compliment each other. Cox is a far better prospect than Hebard, but Hebard should be a high pick still.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Auburn freshman Lauren Hansen is transferring. She started for Auburn and averaged 7.9 PPG. Has a pretty stroke.
You're right. Smooth delivery. I saw her play (when I was checking out Danielle Cosgrove) and liked her shot and her on-court awareness and gumption, if you will. Wasn't quite certain how the move from the north shore of Long Island to Alabama would go. Will be interested to see where she ends up, both in terms of the kind of school and the style of play on the court.

Reaction Score
Raoul reported two more Auburn guards entered the portal, but I think has since deleted the post. Regardless, it was Brooke Moore and Robyn Benton, both 5-star guards in 2018 out of Atlanta.

They add Scott-Grayson next year I believe.

Reaction Score
Raoul reported two more Auburn guards entered the portal, but I think has since deleted the post. Regardless, it was Brooke Moore and Robyn Benton, both 5-star guards in 2018 out of Atlanta.

They add Scott-Grayson next year I believe.

Wow!! Williams-Flournoy is losing her entire roster! I don’t see her being at Auburn in the next year or so.

I also heard Unique Thompson was on course to graduate this year and could enter the portal as well. Don’t quote me on this but it’ll be something to watch for sure...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow!! Williams-Flournoy is losing her entire roster! I don’t see her being at Auburn in the next year or so.

I also heard Unique Thompson was on course to graduate this year and could enter the portal as well. Don’t quote me on this but it’ll be something to watch for sure...
If he deleted the tweet, it's probably because he found out the information either wasn't accurate or at least not confirmed. He's usually pretty careful about what he puts out.

Reaction Score

U Thompson could be a great final piece to a team that is a title contender. She is very skilled but I’m even more impressed by her energy and leadership.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Owens was ranked #34 by HG in class of 2018, but she barely got off the bench in her freshman year, and I'm assuming she redshirted this year due to injury?

Her ESPN profile says she also considered Miami (FL).

Reaction Score
Owens was ranked #34 by HG in class of 2018, but she barely got off the bench in her freshman year, and I'm assuming she redshirted this year due to injury?

Her ESPN profile says she also considered Miami (FL).

She was recovering from mono and then decided to redshirt from my understanding. She seemed like a big UConn target for a little while too.

Leaves Maryland thin in the post.

Reaction Score
U Thompson could be a great final piece to a team that is a title contender. She is very skilled but I’m even more impressed by her energy and leadership.
If she is really in the transfer portal hope Vic goes after her big time. She would help our post play a lot.

Reaction Score
If she is really in the transfer portal hope Vic goes after her big time. She would help our post play a lot.

Where would she play? You think Unique Thompson is better than Sydney Cooks? Rickea will be at the 4, Myah at the 1, Matharu at the 2, not sure about the 3, maybe Rickea with Chloe at 4 (although I think Chloe's playing time is about to be like Andi's was this past year).

Reaction Score
Where would she play? You think Unique Thompson is better than Sydney Cooks? Rickea will be at the 4, Myah at the 1, Matharu at the 2, not sure about the 3, maybe Rickea with Chloe at 4 (although I think Chloe's playing time is about to be like Andi's was this past year).
She is All SEC talent. I think she would be starting four and back up post.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

She was recovering from mono and then decided to redshirt from my understanding. She seemed like a big UConn target for a little while too.

Leaves Maryland thin in the post.

I distinctly remember that early on in the process Geno A. took a visit upstate to see her and either MM/Carol Owen (ND's post coach) did the same. However, UConn moved on and MM went after Danielle Cosgrove, from Long Island.

If Owens has three years of eligibility left, she could be of value to teams that are in need of a 6'4" post. In fact, Miami still comes to mind. Heck, ND could use someone to spell Mik Vaughn because Ms. Cosgrove has proven to be more stretch forward than center and Nat Marshall might still be recovering from her ACL surgery.

BTW, Mimi Collins and Angel Reese are coming into the Terrapin front court, joining Austin and Masonius. Still, I think the team is at 9 scholarship players now. Could Brenda be looking into the transfer market?

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Raoul is reporting that DiJonai Carrington of Stanford has entered the transfer portal. She's eligible for immediate transfer as a graduate. Booooooooo.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Raoul is reporting that DiJonai Carrington of Stanford has entered the transfer portal. She's eligible for immediate transfer as a graduate. Booooooooo.

This isn't a question for you specifically, but when a player puts their name in the portal is it basically like seeing who would be interested and they can pull their name and return to their school if they want? Is that what happened with Mikiah Herbert-Harrigan?

Basically what I'm getting at is could this just be Carrington seeing who out there would have interest if they end up not having space for her at Stanford and so she has almost a back-up?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I distinctly remember that early on in the process Geno A. took a visit upstate to see her and either MM/Carol Owen (ND's post coach) did the same. However, UConn moved on and MM went after Danielle Cosgrove, from Long Island.

If Owens has three years of eligibility left, she could be of value to teams that are in need of a 6'4" post. In fact, Miami still comes to mind. Heck, ND could use someone to spell Mik Vaughn because Ms. Cosgrove has proven to be more stretch forward than center and Nat Marshall might still be recovering from her ACL surgery.

BTW, Mimi Collins and Angel Reese are coming into the Terrapin front court, joining Austin and Masonius. Still, I think the team is at 9 scholarship players now.
Article on Geno visit.
It appears Owens will have 4 full years of eligibility remaining because she did not appear in any games for MD this season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Article on Geno visit.
It appears Owens will have 4 full years of eligibility remaining because she did not appear in any games for MD this season.

Thanks - glad to see that parts of my memory are still working and that Geno did go to see her play. Whew :rolleyes: !

Oliva was Class of 2018. She did not play in 2019-20 for sure, but she got into 16 games her frosh year (see attached), so that's how I came up with the three seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom