2020 off-season transfers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Her phone will be ringing off the hook. Quite a few teams will need a center. Maryland has had a lot of interesting transfers over the years. I predicted earlier in the year she would be in the portal at some point, just a gut feeling. Unfortunate for Maryland, I was excited about their team next year.

She'll hear from a lot of coaches but she may not fancy herself as a center. Could that be what led to this decision? Maybe. Playing time should not have been an issue and the team was going to be very good next season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Maryland has Angel Reese 6'3" Wing coming in Next Year. She's one of Top HS players in the country. University of Maryland Commit Angel Reese Is a True UNICORN Angel is Brenda's only recruit, so can't afford to lose any more players to transfers.

That is an unequivocal "wow!"
My first reaction to Oliva Owens entering the transfer portal yesterday was that she had Austin in front of her, along with Mimi Collins coming into the mix.
Now, Collins stands virtually alone in the forward mix there....whew.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Okay Boneyarders and this includes fans of other teams. If you were involved in making the decision, who would you choose to come to UConn, if both Austin and Charlie Collier wanted to transfer to UConn?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm watching a replay of VT and Florida State now and Coach Brooks stated that he would use Dara in a number of roles and that she was embracing it. It's an earlier season game.

I was thinking Mabry played PG her freshman season.... but they added a grad transfer last year in Cole that moved her off the ball. To me she's better as a SG, but what do I know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Okay Boneyarders and this includes fans of other teams. If you were involved in making the decision, who would you choose to come to UConn, if both Austin and Charlie Collier wanted to transfer to UConn?
First answer: Collier because we already have ONO who is more like Austin-a forward as opposed to a true post-Collier.
Second Answer; Because I'm petty I'd say Austin because Collier had her chance to come to UCONN already.

Reaction Score
I will choice Austin ..

Reaction Score
She'll hear from a lot of coaches but she may not fancy herself as a center. Could that be what led to this decision? Maybe. Playing time should not have been an issue and the team was going to be very good next season.
I think this is it. She wants to be a wing player who is 6'5" tall. She want to be the best player in the 2022 draft and she knew she wouldn't be the best player while at Maryland.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If Carter opts for the pros, none of the top 7 recruits in 2017 HG class will be suiting up for the same school they did as freshmen. That is nuts. 12 of the top 20 (assuming Carter leaves) have transferred or left early from the school they signed with.

2018 is now up to 3 of the top 10 and 8 of the top 20 who are transferring. Plus two other top 21 recruits (Aquino/Nicoletti) havent suited up yet due to health/injury, so 10/21. Wouldnt be surprised if that number grows as the offseason continues.

2016 had 11 of the top 20 transfer/leave early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Carter opts for the pros, none of the top 7 recruits in 2017 HG class will be suiting up for the same school they did as freshmen. That is nuts.

2018 is now up to 3 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 20 who are transferring. Plus two other top 21 recruits (Aquino/Nicoletti) havent suited up yet due to health/injury, so 9/21. Wouldnt be surprised if that number grows as the offseason continues.
I counted 8 of the top-20 have transferred in 2018.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Her phone will be ringing off the hook. Quite a few teams will need a center. Maryland has had a lot of interesting transfers over the years. I predicted earlier in the year she would be in the portal at some point, just a gut feeling. Unfortunate for Maryland, I was excited about their team next year.

I hope Cviv will be one of them! We have one of her former HS teammates coming in next year....and we need a really good center.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The list of significant transfers is guard-heavy. Out of 24 transfers I've listed as of today, 18 of them are listed as guards 5'10" and under. Only three -- Davenport, Austin and Owens -- are above 6'2".

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
First answer: Collier because we already have ONO who is more like Austin-a forward as opposed to a true post-Collier.
Second Answer; Because I'm petty I'd say Austin because Collier had her chance to come to UCONN already.
I'm a big Charli fan and I would love to see her in Husky blue. I also think she compliments Liv better than Austin. That said, I don't think Austin ever really saw herself as a 5 and would love to go somewhere where she has a chance at playing the 4. I personally would be ecstatic if she committed to UConn and Geno would find a way to make it fit. With Meg leaving Austin may see an opening at UConn she can't resist. Another issue was Frese's addition of Reese who clearly sees herself as a 4, which would have locked Austin into playing the 5 for the rest of her college career.

Reaction Score
Seems like most of Maryland's transfers are McDonald's All Americans. I think Florida State best player came from Maryland.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Same with NC State the previous year. Same with Duke the year previous to that. Maryland is a pipeline for other programs to get better.
It has to be tough as a Terps fan to see such high-level talent leave the program after only one or two years.

This year in particular, in the last two months of the season Maryland had its best team since at least the 2015 Final Four team. And I thought their chemistry got quite good in the process. Austin seemed really out of sorts in the early part of the season, as did the team as a whole, but someone found the switch in mid-January.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Same with NC State the previous year. Same with Duke the year previous to that. Maryland is a pipeline for other programs to get better.

Whoa, that's sounding awfully like a Talking Heads song: "Same as it ever was..."
TerpWomenFan: any insights to a systemic issue? Is Brenda's planning down the line so good that it gets in the way of the present? Or, are there other things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom