2020 off-season transfers | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like most of Maryland's transfers are McDonald's All Americans. I think Florida State best player came from Maryland.

Very thankful for Kiahs contributions the last two years :). Hoping Bianca Jackson can have a similar impact next year!

Reaction Score
Very thankful for Kiahs contributions the last two years :). Hoping Bianca Jackson can have a similar impact next year!
I wish the best for Bianca. She saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to leave. I hope she lights it up at Florida State. Except for the SC game. I am sure they will stick us in the same bracket like they usually do.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Jackson has the potential to be a very good wing shooter. She's kinda on the skinny side and doesn't drive to the basket much, if at all.. but she can be a VERY good shooter for you guys. She has a pretty shot. I wasn't super happy to see her leave SC, but I understood it with what we had coming in. Still wish her luck. Great family.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This allows Barnes to go after another transfer:

Very disappointed it didn't work out for her, great kid, we were at one of Adia's radio shows with her. She's big on dancing on TikTok.

Unfortunately, while she showed talent, she was basically recruited over - the newer guards are more talented. But she was a crowd favorite, whose minutes went to new players.

Reaction Score
Walz and Shakira began following each other on Instagram.

I believe Walz has no scholarships, so if there is interest, someone may get the boot.

He also only has one 2021 scholarship...

Reaction Score
The coach at MD doesn't seem likable, but neither do a lot of the good coaches.

I have mixed feeling with Brenda. I have seen clips of her with her players where she seems to be positive, up beat and caring. I can see why a kid could like that. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes as fans that we never see and likely explains more.

There are a lot of "unlikable" coaches in all sports that somehow hold on to players. I know every transfer has a reason. Some kids get home sick, they want more playing time, or they school they committed to play for was not what they expected (pretty common reason). But its intriguing with Maryland with some very highly recruited kids (some starters) that have decided to transfer out over the years. I don't know if it has anything to do with the current culture in place.

Shame Maryland lost Austin because they seemed to have right the ship the back half of the year with everyone coming into their own.

Reaction Score

I knew that was happening. Called that in the S Car/Maryland game — early in the season she didn’t start her and she was losing minutes to freshman. She came into the season saying how she improved over the summer and it didn’t translate to the court.

Angel Reese will be interesting, she is set on wanting to be a guard. So we’ll see how that’s gonna go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Austin is from Maryland so it will be interesting to see where she lands

Reaction Score
And Austin is from Maryland so it will be interesting to see where she lands

Austin went to HS in MD, however, she is from Fredericksburg VA. about 50 miles south of Maryland.

Frese is very disingenuous, one minute she says she has a great coaching staff. The next minute they are fired to take their "dream job" ....there is a lot of turnover and most coaches are thrown under the bus to lower-level jobs. And there are well-documented scholarships that were not renewed for questionable reasons..

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The fact that coaches and recruits text each other is Irrelevant. This is about leaving a coach and a program after spending 2 years there. I believe that deserves a conversation.

Would you resign from a job via text?
It's not really about me as I'm not a 20-year old.

A lot of bosses I know have received hard copy resignation letters on their desk, or resignations by email. What's the difference if it was text? It's actually quicker delivery by text as most folks instantly view text message, but don't even check email all that often unless at work; many people don't bother answering their phones consistently; and, not all check their voicemail frequently.

Sorry, in this day and age, nothing wrong with texting a transfer notification, especially if texting has been an established form of communication between the two parties. It's my understanding that a student-athlete is NOT obligated to notify the head coach of intent to transfer; they can contact someone in the school's compliance department instead. At least she notified him . . .

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Wish you read the twitter closely. It is Mike Barber's twitter. Where do you see coach Kenny Brooks has posted in twitter about Dara's transfer?
You are correct.

But, head coach went on the record sharing private interaction with someone who is active in social media. Head coach knew good and well Barber would tweet it, right? Head coach trying to smear student-athlete in social media through third party. Posters on here judging student-athlete for "tweeting" transfer intent; mission accomplished . . .

Reaction Score
Kenny Brooks still wasn't to going to have Dara be the starting pg going forward even though he knew she was leaving.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Walz and Shakira began following each other on Instagram.

I believe Walz has no scholarships, so if there is interest, someone may get the boot.

He also only has one 2021 scholarship...

I'm sure she'll have a scholarship waiting for her if she wants one. Louisville is notorious for volume recruiting which usually leads to volume transfers.

Reaction Score
I'm sure she'll have a scholarship waiting for her if she wants one. Louisville is notorious for volume recruiting which usually leads to volume transfers.

Didn't they make room to get Hailey Van Lith after adding those transfers prior to the season?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I knew that was happening. Called that in the S Car/Maryland game — early in the season she didn’t start her and she was losing minutes to freshman. She came into the season saying how she improved over the summer and it didn’t translate to the court.

Angel Reese will be interesting, she is set on wanting to be a guard. So we’ll see how that’s gonna go.

Austin didn't start because she was late for a team meeting. She did that several times in her two years at Maryland.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Frese is very disingenuous, one minute she says she has a great coaching staff. The next minute they are fired to take their "dream job" ....there is a lot of turnover and most coaches are thrown under the bus to lower-level jobs. And there are well-documented scholarships that were not renewed for questionable reasons..

A few weeks (months?) on another thread dealing with transfers, a few of us were talking about how "the new normal" in player recruiting and retention was being dealt with by various programs. Some hired younger coaches to hopefully relate to their players (hello, Mike Mabrey at ND) while some started taking on additional staff to help with the personnel side.

Interetingly enough, Maryland might have more "non-assistant coaches" than just about any D1 program. A glance at their websits shows a:
- Director of Recruiting Operations
- Director of Recruiting and Player Personnel
(and btw, there's also a director of scouting).

They're obviously somewhat junior but there are people in place. So, Maryland seems to do well in bringing in top rate players but that retention aspect seems to need some tweaking.

Also, it's fascinating that one player -- Olivia Owens -- announces her departure after one year of playing and one sitting out, perhaps because there's a logjam in front of her. And what happens perhaps 24 hours later? The person in front of her leaves, perhaps to get to a program where she can refine her game for the pros.
Left ear, meet right eye.

Lastly, Brenda seems to go after A listers...and lots of them. Austin, Collins, Reese are all top candidates and even Owens was Top 50. That leaves Faith Masonius as the one "glue" player. Perhaps this approach is part of the issue?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
SEC Fans: Could you offer any insight on this Raoul post regarding the exodus from Auburn? They went 11-18 (or close), but when I saw them play, the effort looked good on all ends. But this flight from the Plains is disconcerting? News? Insights?

Reaction Score
SEC Fans: Could you offer any insight on this Raoul post regarding the exodus from Auburn? They went 11-18 (or close), but when I saw them play, the effort looked good on all ends. But this flight from the Plains is disconcerting? News? Insights?

Pure guess on my part but I think Auburn had high hopes for a really good season. They had talent but their record was not as good as the talent. Talent likes to win so they may just want to go somewhere to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom