2020 off-season transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Oregon had a pretty good post as well.
Agree with that, she may have been the best post this season. Bet she goes high in WNBA draft, maybe higher than Cox.

Reaction Score
Agree with that, she may have been the best post this season. Bet she goes high in WNBA draft, maybe higher than Cox.
Sabally or Hebard?

I could see Sabally potentially going before Cox, but its Dallas that has the number 2 pick. They need a defensive big. Sabally has a lot of upside, and could potentially play the 3 in the W if she has the right pieces around her. (She could be a DeWanna Bonner type of player). Hebard was a fantastic college player that shot a high percentage because of her size, agility, and having Sabrina as a PG for her 4 years. She's very talented, but I dont know if she's going to have to same success in the W. She doesnt have much of a jumpshot beyond the paint.

I am a Cox fan, so I am slightly biased. But she brings a lot to the table that won't show on stat sheets. Her numbers have never been great, but she has never had to be the player to score a lot. In Dallas, she won't have to be either. In fact, she'll be the one passing to Arike and KLS a lot. She can score at all three levels if needed. Offensively, her best asset is being a facilitator and being a willing passer for the best shot. Even if she doesnt get the assist, her pass is often the one that starts a chain reaction to a score.

She plays defense at a higher level than Hebard and Sabally. I see her more as a 4 in the W, but I think she'll he fine as a 5 for now with Dallas. She is very good at blocking and altering shots, and her presence deters players from going in there. She can even guard some 3s if she ends up switched onto them. Of course not for a whole game, but she can be effective as a perimeter defender for a possession here or there.

Sabrina has been the straw that stirred Oregon's drink for her whole career. Lauren was the player that did that for Baylor in her last two seasons. Hebard was the better player their first two seasons, but Cox is the better player now. Cox is the complete package for a post player. Hebard hasn't really other facets of the game besides scoring and rebounding. Give me Cox every day of the week

Reaction Score
Hope it is a post, we need help there.
Yessir. Carter isn't bad but not a true center. We have enough guards in my opinion. Not saying I would turn down talent yet I think that situation is good for a year or so (relatively speaking)

Reaction Score
Sabally or Hebard?

I could see Sabally potentially going before Cox, but its Dallas that has the number 2 pick. They need a defensive big. Sabally has a lot of upside, and could potentially play the 3 in the W if she has the right pieces around her. (She could be a DeWanna Bonner type of player). Hebard was a fantastic college player that shot a high percentage because of her size, agility, and having Sabrina as a PG for her 4 years. She's very talented, but I dont know if she's going to have to same success in the W. She doesnt have much of a jumpshot beyond the paint.

I am a Cox fan, so I am slightly biased. But she brings a lot to the table that won't show on stat sheets. Her numbers have never been great, but she has never had to be the player to score a lot. In Dallas, she won't have to be either. In fact, she'll be the one passing to Arike and KLS a lot. She can score at all three levels if needed. Offensively, her best asset is being a facilitator and being a willing passer for the best shot. Even if she doesnt get the assist, her pass is often the one that starts a chain reaction to a score.

She plays defense at a higher level than Hebard and Sabally. I see her more as a 4 in the W, but I think she'll he fine as a 5 for now with Dallas. She is very good at blocking and altering shots, and her presence deters players from going in there. She can even guard some 3s if she ends up switched onto them. Of course not for a whole game, but she can be effective as a perimeter defender for a possession here or there.

Sabrina has been the straw that stirred Oregon's drink for her whole career. Lauren was the player that did that for Baylor in her last two seasons. Hebard was the better player their first two seasons, but Cox is the better player now. Cox is the complete package for a post player. Hebard hasn't really other facets of the game besides scoring and rebounding. Give me Cox every day of the week
This. Cox has more in common with Ionescu than some think. She was the engine and I was very, very impressed when I watched her. Not because she was as talented as Ionescu (few are) yet she dictated the tempo for Baylor. What she does often won't show up on a stat sheet so I understand why there would be questions. If she is as trusted in the WNBA as she was in college she will be excellent.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
M

Maybe she wants to be closer to home?

CVS should give her a call. We could use three point shooters.

I knew a girl's lax player from northern New Jersey who spent two years at Va. Tech. Liked her team, the academics fit with her major but she was homesick for family and friends so she transferred to....Rutgers and was named captain her senior year. Didn't have an outside shot, though.... ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sabally or Hebard?

Well-reasoned and put on all accounts. I also think Cox being from Texas carries weight because the WNBA is still trying to gain traction in both Dallas (and overall). Local stars help.

Reaction Score
Sabally or Hebard?

I think that some observers are selling Hebard short because she shot a lot within 5' and was on Ionescu's team. Hebard's defense, physicality, motor, intensity, and shot-altering are all reasons why Oregon won so much over her career. Her shooting accuracy inside has been well-chronicled, but for whichever team drafts Hebard it will get a banger who won't back down to other bigs on the defensive end and a player who consistently gives good effort.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I think that some observers are selling Hebard short because she shot a lot within 5' and was on Ionescu's team. Hebard's defense, physicality, motor, intensity, and shot-altering are all reasons why Oregon won so much over her career. Her shooting accuracy inside has been well-chronicled, but for whichever team drafts Hebard it will get a banger who won't back down to other bigs on the defensive end and a player who consistently gives good effort.
I'll add that Cheryl Reeves had some very positive things to say about Hebard's play and WNBA potential after the USA game and Geno echoed the former after the loss to Oregon, comparing her "limitations" to comments about Cousey only being able to go right. If what she does offensively was as easy as some seem to assume, there would be a lot more players as efficient as she has been down low.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agreed. Only spot I see with any chance to see time here.

Taylor has PG locked up. And we have a few other players that can play point guard.
Matharu is probably SG next year. Lots of other players behind her, including Madison Hayes.
Jackson is SF, with Wiggins right after her
Cooks, Carter, and Bibby can all be used at PF
Morris is the only true center we have - but she has to get much better for her to be a 30 minute per night player.

But then, there's not many really great posts to begin with. Only Baylor and South Carolina had an elite post last year.

You have a solid post trio with Carter, Cooks and Morris. Carter will be starting center again and she is excellent there. I dont get the "she's a PF" argument. Bibby at the 4, Cooks and sub for either and Jackson can play the 4 in a pinch too.

Reaction Score
You have a solid post trio with Carter, Cooks and Morris. Carter will be starting center again and she is excellent there. I dont get the "she's a PF" argument. Bibby at the 4, Cooks and sub for either and Jackson can play the 4 in a pinch too.

Carter just needs to work on playing more physically. She is 6’5. I don’t see why she should move to the 4 when you have Cooks, Bibby and Gaston. MSU needs a 5, Morris is the only other true option and she graduates next year. Compare freshmen to sophomore year, there was dramatic improvement. I see no reason not to expect significant improvement going into her junior year! She’s going to be fine. It was not unexpected to see her go through growing pains this year. She will only get better moving forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Schaefer has referenced several times that he thinks the four is J Carter’s best position and that he wants to play her there. He was hoping P Taylor, more of a true post, would be able to take over at the five. Obviously with her medically retiring that changes things.
With S Cooks eligible I would think she and J Carter could start together with each being able to swing between the two positions. Y Morris could be the backup post with C Bibby the backup four. Of course I don’t think it’s a given C Bibby isn’t a starter.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Carter feels like a 4 because she doesn't dominate/exert an advantage in the paint nor is strong enough. Morris has the size but she moves too slow and needs to be quicker on rebounds otherwise she'll get consisently beat there. But sometimes the ball bounces her way.

I just think 5 is the only position we'll be looking at immediately. The other 4 spots a newcomer probably won't have a chance to be the starter in. Talking solely immediate impact....for the future its another story.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Carter feels like a 4 because she doesn't dominate/exert an advantage in the paint nor is strong enough. Morris has the size but she moves too slow and needs to be quicker on rebounds otherwise she'll get consisently beat there. But sometimes the ball bounces her way.

I just think 5 is the only position we'll be looking at immediately. The other 4 spots a newcomer probably won't have a chance to be the starter in. Talking solely immediate impact....for the future its another story.

If she plays the 4, what happens to Bibby? And that also leaves you without strong perimeter shooting. Carter isnt Big T but 13/9 and 2 blocks per game is a very solid for a starting center. I'd say focus on her adding muscle this off season and she could continue to be a force. Morris isnt the answer IMO. And expecting a new transfer to come in and make a big impact and push out Carter or Bibby just isnt realistic. Starting 5 with Mingo Young, AEH, Cooks and Morris off the bench can definitely be a title threat team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
There's a 6-6 player transferring from Chapel Hill. I can't recall her name right now.

Wonder if SC will get involved with her. She doesn't seem like a starter but might be a good option at center to spell Aliyah Boston. With Herbert-Harrigan graduating I think we'll see Saxton (an undersized post) spending more time at 4, which obviously takes away from her being able to be at the 5. Amihere is a true 4.

SC really needs a 5 to give Boston a break. I think we're good at guard for another year, especially with Russell coming in the fall and what I'm expecting to be a top-10 2021 class.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Maori Davenport leaving Rutgers... Someone theoretically getting a nice post player.
That one hurts. But I thought she was still pretty raw. Wish her the best.

Reaction Score
There's a 6-6 player transferring from Chapel Hill. I can't recall her name right now.

Wonder if SC will get involved with her. She doesn't seem like a starter but might be a good option at center to spell Aliyah Boston. With Herbert-Harrigan graduating I think we'll see Saxton (an undersized post) spending more time at 4, which obviously takes away from her being able to be at the 5. Amihere is a true 4.

SC really needs a 5 to give Boston a break. I think we're good at guard for another year, especially with Russell coming in the fall and what I'm expecting to be a top-10 2021 class.

If we don’t land another big to spell Boston I could see Saxton getting some minutes as the backup 5 while Amihere will play mostly the 4 and have both Grissett and Beal play the 4 some as well. Both are terrific rebounders and has some versatility.

Reaction Score

Naomi Van Nes is the 6'6 player from UNC. Rarely played, rarely jumped for rebounds, and neither coaching staff wasn't interested in developing her. Maybe Dawn can get 5 to 10 minutes out of her.

Reaction Score
Naomi Van Nes is the 6'6 player from UNC. Rarely played, rarely jumped for rebounds, and neither coaching staff wasn't interested in developing her. Maybe Dawn can get 5 to 10 minutes out of her.

There’s a reason she rarely played. Not D1 type player. She player against my daughter

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Apparently Stanford's Dijonai Carrington and Brenda Freese have started following each other on social media. Not liking that development one bit... For those who aren't following Stanford closely, both seniors Anna Wilson and Dijonai Carrington are seeking medical redshirts for a fifth year of eligibility, but Stanford only has one spot so we're uncertain how we could retain both short of Russell Wilson using his NFL money on his lil' sis.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As relayed by Raoul, Arkansas sophomore guard Rokia Doumbia has entered the portal.

She didn't do a lot of scoring, but she did average 17 minutes per game off the bench in SEC play.

In the article where Neighbors acknowledges Doumbia's entry into the portal, he also says he's actively looking at maybe picking up some transfers.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I was gonna say something to that effect, but didn't want to come across as anti UNC.cheat

Figured some of y’all would know more. I haven’t watched UNC play since they had DeShields on the roster. No lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom