2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you could be guaranteed to get Goforth right now, but the trade-off is UConn gets Hailey Van Lith, would you take it?
Probably. We have 2 very good sophomore point guards now in Destiny Slocum and Aleah Goodman. But fortunately, I don't have to make that decision!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Article on Hailey Van Lith's recent game in which she made 9 threes on January 5th:

Darnell said Van Lith, who was a starter as a freshman and a sophomore, leads the program in every statistical category. He explained Van Lith is the most aggressive girl he has coached, and “plays physical and strong in such high gear.” Scoring is not the only strong aspect of Van Lith’s game as Darnell commended her passing and defense. He also acknowledged Van Lith’s high basketball IQ, experience in big-game situations and being vocal on the court.

“She’s very good at communicating offense and defense, and being a cheerleader on the floor at the same time she’s playing,” he said. “It’s been like having another coach on the floor. It’s a huge advantage to us.”

Van Lith has aspirations to play at the college level, going back to when she was little. She already has several goals she wants to accomplish in her college career, such as being a four-time National Player of the Year, winning four national championships and being selected as a first-round draft pick for the WNBA.

“When I was little, I would pray and beg that UCONN would give me a scholarship,” Van Lith said. “It’s just crazy to think that I can choose if I want to go there or not. It just shows that if you're willing to put in the work that you can do anything, even if you’re from Cashmere, Washington. Nothing can stop you. Basketball is a process and you can never stop. I’m going to have to stay hungry to accomplish my goals.”

Van Lith breaks CHS three-pointer record | Cashmere Valley Record

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She already has several goals she wants to accomplish in her college career, such as being a four-time National Player of the Year, winning four national championships and being selected as a first-round draft pick for the WNBA.

Uh, that's setting the bar fairly high. Has a Fr. ever won National POY? I have to think that's exceedingly unlikely to happen. Not to mention 4 National Championships. I can think of a few players that have accomplished that. Again, exceedingly unlikely to repeat that feat. It's nice to have goals but this appears to be teetering on the edge of being ludicrous. With some of the other players in her class she's facing stiff competition to even be National Freshman of the Year, let alone POY.

Hey I have a realistic goal for her. Maybe she can't start with winning a high school state championship first.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Uh, that's setting the bar fairly high. Has a Fr. ever won National POY? I have to think that's exceedingly unlikely to happen. Not to mention 4 National Championships. I can think of a few players that have accomplished that. Again, exceedingly unlikely to repeat that feat. It's nice to have goals but this appears to be teetering on the edge of being ludicrous. With some of the other players in her class she's facing stiff competition to even be National Freshman of the Year, let alone POY.

Hey I have a realistic goal for her. Maybe she can't start with winning a high school state championship first.
Stewie, Mo, and Morgan were the first group to win 4 national championships. Can Hailey Van Lith accomplish that? I think her odds are best at UConn. She might need to help in the recruiting process.

Being a first round pick? I think that's quite likely. Again, her chances are best playing for the guy who has coached the most WNBA players and #1 picks.

Being a 4x NPOY? Sorry, I love Hailey Van Lith, but I don't see that. The closest I can recall was Maya, who finished #2 in AP POY voting as a freshman (and followed it with #1, #2, and #1). I think being a 2x NPOY is a stretch, but something that several players have accomplished. I agree that NFOY would be a nice goal.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'd rather have a player determined to win everything and be the best than shy away from that kind of thing. Stewart said she wanted to win four titles and it didn't hurt her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lots of reports from Mark Lewis on the recent Blue Star Invitational:

Amari DeBerry – 2021 – 6-5 – Post – Williamsville South – Established top tier post…Showing off more length and agility…Limited productivity…Physical approach needs to move to the forefront to capitalize on potential…Keeps it high…Has challenging scoring options for any defender…Consistency and assertiveness will make them much more effective…Plays with awareness in full court scenarios…Length and agility serve her well defensively…Concedes some fouls going after blocks…Two and half more seasons to add even more to her game

Azzi Fudd – 5-11 – Guard – St. John’s College – Demonstrating the consistency that sets elite players apart from their peers…Mixed pull up and perimeter jumpers…Not showing any sign of a sophomore “plateau” despite playing with a target on her back…Focus is exceptional on any level

12th Annual Blue Star Elite Invitational - Bluestar Media

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'd rather have a player determined to win everything and be the best than shy away from that kind of thing. Stewart said she wanted to win four titles and it didn't hurt her.

Stewie wanted 4 Titles, I don't think she said anything about 4X POY. That's the part that's killing me. Agreed w/ Milford that based on past, UConn is the most likely (only?) place to accomplish the 4 Championship goal. So if Hailey Van Lith ends up there, she would play alongside Christyn Williams for 2 years, right? Seems an upperclassmen of Williams caliber would have a huge leg up in POY consideration, unless Hailey Van Lith is the best freshmen in women's hoops ever, which seems really unlikely. It just seems like a silly thing to say out loud to me.

MTC

Reaction Score
I think our chances of getting Hailey Van Lith are going down as we see how Geno is using CW recently. You will not attract great scorers if you make them the last scoring option on almost every offensive set. We need to keep our rebounders near the basket and let the guards create more scoring plays.

Boy, did Geno take my advice or what. CW came out shooting against Cinnci and the guards created (Crystal had 10 assists I believe). I hope this trend continues since it gives us better balance and more difficult to defend. Hailey Van Lith could thrive in this type of play.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Boy, did Geno take my advice or what. CW came out shooting against Cinnci and the guards created (Crystal had 10 assists I believe). I hope this trend continues since it gives us better balance and more difficult to defend. Hailey Van Lith could thrive in this type of play.
Did you see the Geno Auriemma Show after the Cincinnati game? He specifically addressed this issue. He said that he has had to talk to Christyn about how her first option when she gets the ball should be to try to score. She likes to do that, of course, but she feels she should be running the offense / distributing the ball / getting shots for Lou and Pheesa. Geno has been telling her to quit thinking like that, and instead focus on scoring.

I was surprised but I found that interesting. Certainly it's true that if defenses have to focus on taking away her scoring, Lou / Pheesa / Crystal are going to get a lot of shots.

MTC

Reaction Score
Did you see the Geno Auriemma Show after the Cincinnati game? He specifically addressed this issue. He said that he has had to talk to Christyn about how her first option when she gets the ball should be to try to score. She likes to do that, of course, but she feels she should be running the offense / distributing the ball / getting shots for Lou and Pheesa. Geno has been telling her to quit thinking like that, and instead focus on scoring.

I was surprised but I found that interesting. Certainly it's true that if defenses have to focus on taking away her scoring, Lou / Pheesa / Crystal are going to get a lot of shots.

Thanks, I am not able to get the Geno Show where I live. I am pleased that CW is shooting more and I am also hoping Geno can get Liv more experienced . I am very optimistic for the team this season and hopeful we will get Hailey Van Lith in 2020.

Reaction Score
Watching Hailey Van Lith in the 3x3 tournament it was clear that she is all about team. Yes, she is incredibly aggressive and anyone who is guarded by her will not like the experience :) she is a perfect fit for UConn!

Reaction Score
really wish UConn would reconsider recruiting KW as her game is improving................not too many 2020s with her size and skill set

Kylee Watson – 2020 – 6-4 – Forward/Post – Mainland Regional – Highly regarded prospect has added and refined…Much more assertive in creating rather than just taking…Quick on the attack…Making good reads…Gets to the rim from high post or transition trail spot…Perimeter shot is showing noticeable progress…Body control, strength and conditioning set her apart from the crowd

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry scored 19 points on Thursday (1/10).

Sasha Goforth put up 14 points Friday (1/11).

Reaction Score
1/11

Paige Bueckers scored 25 points Friday in a 48-pt win.

you are indeed the master of recruiting updates...................just wish we had more information on actual offers to anyone other then the usual suspects..................the UConn dome of silence seems to be impenetrable as always.........

Reaction Score
just found this interesting video............this guard has some style, no idea if UConn knows her but she looks like she can play...........

Ohio Midwest Challenge-May 2018: Athletic floor-leader with a scorer's mentality in the back court; attack mode in transition game, handles, pushes tempo and distributes; accelerates in uptempo and finds the rim with regularity; elusive off the dribble with smooth stroke on jumper to the arc. (Olson)

Reaction Score
Kids who come to UConn have to be able to play with other good players and still impact games, I’d be cautious to recruit Top kids, who can’t affect the game w/o scoring.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger had 24 points, 15 rebounds, 6 steals, and 3 blocks Friday (1/11).

Also on Friday, Taylor Bigby scored 15 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom