2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I've gathered Daniels isn't a traditional center in that mode, she's more a hybrid and almost a wing even.

I have not been all that impressed by Daniels in the tape I have seen on her. IMHO, there are a half dozen better post players in the 2020 class.

Reaction Score
I have not been all that impressed by Daniels in the tape I have seen on her. IMHO, there are a half dozen better post players in the 2020 class.

I'm not sure there are a half dozen really good post players in the 2020 class.....................I don't know much about Daniels but I don't think she really is going to be a post.....................more of a fairly mobile four

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Daniels is not going to be a post players in college. Wing and stretch 4 is where she'll excel. She is a very good perimeter defender adequate handles and a consistent 3 ball shooter. She also a very instinctive & constant mover with and without the basketball. We'll need to find out more about her injury at TOC.

MTC

Reaction Score
Are Azzi Fudd and Amari DeBerry the only two 2021 recruits that have been offered so far. We may will not offer any more until we see how 2020 class turns out. What is so bad about contingency offers as long as both parties understand it?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are Azzi Fudd and Amari DeBerry the only two 2021 recruits that have been offered so far. We may will not offer any more until we see how 2020 class turns out. What is so bad about contingency offers as long as both parties understand it?
For UCONN just about everything is wrong with a contingency offer because of the stature the program has attained. For the players that decided to come to UCONN you are going to have to compete with some extraordinary AA caliber players to get time on the court. A player that is accepting of a contingency offer/situation is essentially making this concession: "I'm not really the player UCONN wanted in the first place". Simply put a player that is willing to make this seemingly small concession will likely not do well in an intense daily competitive environment of UCONN WBB. This is why the UCONN staff is so deliberate and selective about making offers to only those players that are willing to compete, are interested in the challenge, and can contribute to the continued success of the program.

Reaction Score
For UCONN just about everything is wrong with a contingency offer because of the stature the program has attained. For the players that decided to come to UCONN you are going to have to compete with some extraordinary AA caliber players to get time on the court. A player that is accepting of a contingency offer/situation is essentially making this concession: "I'm not really the player UCONN wanted in the first place". Simply put a player that is willing to make this seemingly small concession will likely not do well in an intense daily competitive environment of UCONN WBB. This is why the UCONN staff is so deliberate and selective about making offers to only those players that are willing to compete, are interested in the challenge, and can contribute to the continued success of the program.
Totally agree. How would it make a girl feel if you gave her a 'contingency' prom date offer? "We really, really want you here" is the right offer and, if we don't, then don't offer. (Of course there's the, "We really, really, REALLY want you here" offer for the occasional generational, transcendent player. But, IMO, two "reallys" is still the real deal, and does not constitute a contingency offer.)

MTC

Reaction Score
I think we all need a reality check. In 2019 class we missed on Haley Jones, Jordan Horston, Aliyah Boston, Laeticia Amihere, ans Samantha Brunelle for various reasons. We had some great talent from the eastern US and it didn't work out. In 2020 most of the top players are from the middle or western US. We have 7 scholarships available in the next two years but we need help in the front court next season. Since the coaching staff is looking mostly at back court ladies they must have definite plans to bring in at least one or two tall players via transfer. In my humble opinion we will be fine if we only get one top point guard and two front court players. Fire away.

Reaction Score
I think we all need a reality check. In 2019 class we missed on Haley Jones, Jordan Horston, Aliyah Boston, Laeticia Amihere, ans Samantha Brunelle for various reasons. We had some great talent from the eastern US and it didn't work out. In 2020 most of the top players are from the middle or western US. We have 7 scholarships available in the next two years but we need help in the front court next season. Since the coaching staff is looking mostly at back court ladies they must have definite plans to bring in at least one or two tall players via transfer. In my humble opinion we will be fine if we only get one top point guard and two front court players. Fire away.

not sure they are mostly focusing on just back court players..................early on as far as we know they've made offers to two outstanding guards plus an offer to a front court player in the 2020 class................I have zero idea who they are going to offer next although I certainly have my favorites.........based on NCAA rules, I'm not sure how one "plans" to bring in transfers other then acknowledged graduate students and I'm baffled about why they would go that route unless there was a truly outstanding player available who would make a difference in the next season and I'm not aware of any of those

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First salvo: UCONN missed on Jones, Horston, Jackson, and Boston. UCONN passed on Amihere and Brunelle and many many others in the 2019 class. UCONN signed Aubrey Griffin for 2019-don't sleep on her.
Second salvo: UCONN recruits nationally coast to coast. Talent varies year to year from region to region. Doesn't matter, if you can ball UCONN will find you.
Third salvo: UCONN will have 6 or 7 scholarships available for 2019-20 season. UCONN is still out recruiting for 2019.
Fourth salvo: The coaching staff is looking for basketball players not just "back court ladies".
Fifth salvo: "Definite plans to bring in at least one or two tall players via transfer" would be a NCAA violation. How does one make definite plans without knowing what players are transferring?
Parting shot: I agree with your opinion. Everything before that is kind of shaky.

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score

obviously they need to get in touch with Hailey Van Lith's video team...................actually scratch that, I hope this video is the most any other coach sees of Ms DeBerry............;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I always get mixed emotions (mostly negative ones) about having a parent coaching a player in HS ball and AAU. To be clear this is not a question about Tim's ability to coach, it starts with this question: Would Tim be coaching at St. Johns if Azzi were not on the team? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I always get mixed emotions (mostly negative ones) about having a parent coaching a player in HS ball and AAU. To be clear this is not a question about Tim's ability to coach, it starts with this question: Would Tim be coaching at St. Johns if Azzi were not on the team? Thoughts?

I suppose it would depend on his coaching history.....................is he simply a dad that road his superstar daughter's coat tails from middle school to today or does he have a successful track record as a coach totally independent of her?

MTC

Reaction Score
Totally agree. How would it make a girl feel if you gave her a 'contingency' prom date offer? "We really, really want you here" is the right offer and, if we don't, then don't offer. (Of course there's the, "We really, really, REALLY want you here" offer for the occasional generational, transcendent player. But, IMO, two "reallys" is still the real deal, and does not constitute a contingency offer.)

You tell the player I think you are fourth best player for us in your class but we only have three scholarships available. If a spot opens up we will offer you the scholarship.

MTC

Reaction Score
Skilz posted on Uconn/Baylor thread that Gusters and Andrews will be at the game tonight. I hope we put on a good show for them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Skilz posted on Uconn/Baylor thread that Gusters and Andrews will be at the game tonight. I hope we put on a good show for them.

Hopefully, they were too sick to attend.

Reaction Score
If Morris joins the team next season as expected, that would give her three years of eligibility (basically she would be in the same class as Smith, Egbo, DeCosta, etc). That would also mean she would be the PG for Andrews’ first two seasons at Baylor. Perhaps, unless Van Lith or Bueckers were to commit, UConn would provide the best opportunity for early playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Morris joins the team next season as expected, that would give her three years of eligibility (basically she would be in the same class as Smith, Egbo, DeCosta, etc). That would also mean she would be the PG for Andrews’ first two seasons at Baylor. Perhaps, unless Van Lith or Bueckers were to commit, UConn would provide the best opportunity for early playing time.
Which reminds me. Baylor had #1 recruiting class last year landing 5 recruits.
Of the 5 only 1 (Smith) played in the game tonight. Smith looks like she has a real chance to be special.
Honesty Scott Grayson is also a highly rated PG so what happens to her when Morris returns?

Reaction Score
Which reminds me. Baylor had #1 recruiting class last year landing 5 recruits.
Of the 5 only 1 (Smith) played in the game tonight. Smith looks like she has a real chance to be special.
Honesty Scott Grayson is also a highly rated PG so what happens to her when Morris returns?
I believe Honesty Scott-Grayson could also play off the ball as the 2. Of her 5 evaluations on Hoopgurlz, 4 list her as a combo-guard. I am interested to see what lineup Kim employs next year. Smith, Egbo, and Cox? Looks to me like Bickle may get lost in the rotation.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone can assume early playing time at UConn. Nurse got it, CWilliams is getting it, Stewart got it, Maya, etc. Most don't.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/3

Saylor Poffenbarger's Thursday night:

32 points, 10 boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks

MTC

Reaction Score

I'm new here. Please tell me who Morris is?

Reaction Score
I'm new here. Please tell me who Morris is?
She was kicked off the team and will likely return next season if she continues to do the things Coach Mulkey has set forth as conditions to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom