2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 89 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
all I can say is that I traveled back and forth from NJ to Los Angeles for a number of years and out there if you were from anywhere east of Ohio you were considered from the east coast.....

I thought it was anywhere east of the Mississippi. :rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I thought it was anywhere east of the Mississippi. :rolleyes:
fair enough...;)

As someone who has traveled on Route 80 extensively during his lifetime (particularly to a university that has that gold dome to the left :rolleyes:), I'd make an argument that the midwest starts for me at the "highest point east of the MIssissippi" sign that is about 100 miles east of the Ohio/Pa. border.
Geographically, the watershed switches to the Ohio (as opposed to eastern points) as well.
Plus, there's just a different bit of a feel from there. Some aspects of Pittsburgh may claim an exception (Carnegie-Mellon, Pitt), but for me, once I start that long downhill to the Ohio border, it's the midwest.

BTW, I also think "back in the east" once I come upon the eastern third of the state, say the Susquehanna area (Bucknell, Williamsport).

Now, that's in the northern part of the state...leave it to those around the Philly area to state their preferences.

Reaction Score
As someone who has traveled on Route 80 extensively during his lifetime (particularly to a university that has that gold dome to the left :rolleyes:), I'd make an argument that the midwest starts for me at the "highest point east of the MIssissippi" sign that is about 100 miles east of the Ohio/Pa. border.
Geographically, the watershed switches to the Ohio (as opposed to eastern points) as well.
Plus, there's just a different bit of a feel from there. Some aspects of Pittsburgh may claim an exception (Carnegie-Mellon, Pitt), but for me, once I start that long downhill to the Ohio border, it's the midwest.

BTW, I also think "back in the east" once I come upon the eastern third of the state, say the Susquehanna area (Bucknell, Williamsport).

Now, that's in the northern part of the state...leave it to those around the Philly area to state their preferences.
As someone who was raised in the Phila/Norristown PA area, my thoughts on what is considered East and Mid-west are very similar.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Will Muhl be able to visit schools? I believe right after the tourney till mid April is a mandatory dead period. Since USF is right there I bet she at least goes to campus even if USF can't have contact.

It a confusing mess and the NCAA doesn't make it easy.
We are currently in a "contact period" which started March 1 and runs through April 4th. So technical Nika can visit the UCF campus up until April 4th but it must be at her own expense- ( can't be an official visit). Since most coaches will be at the Final 4 Nika could also meet with those coaches prior to April 4th.
Definition of Contact Period: Coaches can email, text, call, direct message and generally contact athletes and their parents through any NCAA-approved method. In-person contact can occur on the college campus, as well as at tournaments, at the recruit’s school and home.

Normally "official visits" could start the Tuesday after the championship game which would have been April 9th. However, the NCAA has a "dead" period which starts on April 5th and runs through April 11.
Definition of A dead period: Coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits and/or their parents. In other words, coaches are not allowed to talk to recruits at their college campus, the athlete’s school, an athletic camp or even the grocery store.

The NCAA then opened up a less restrictive "quiet" period which runs from April 12-14.
Definition of quiet period: A time recruits can talk to college coaches in-person on their college campus. However, the coach is not allowed to watch athletes compete in-person, visit their school, talk to them at their home—or talk to them anywhere outside of the college campus.

The NCAA then has another dead period which runs from April 15-18.
The full recruiting calendar is pictured below and additional definitions can be found at this link
What is the NCAA Contact Period | When is the Contact Period

Recruiting Calendar.jpg

MTC

Reaction Score
As someone who was raised in the Phila/Norristown PA area, my thoughts on what is considered East and Mid-west are very similar.
Boy this is thrilling stuff and I am riveted to my display but I have a feeling we have made significant progress in gaining interest from numerous recruits and it will be interesting if Geno goes by the saying one in the hand is worth two in the bush. One thing is sure - we can't take all the recruits.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

A someone who grew up in the Norristown, PA ( hometown of both Geno Auriemma & Tommy Lasorda) the Western part of PA (1 exit past Valley Forge if you are heading west on the PA turnpike & 1 exit past Lansdale if you are on the Northeast extension is considered mid-western for everything that is scared.
Everything that is sacred includes religion, politics, and sandwiches- the last being the most important.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It a confusing mess and the NCAA doesn't make it easy.
We are currently in a "contact period" which started March 1 and runs through April 4th. So technical Nika can visit the UCF campus up until April 4th but it must be at her own expense- ( can't be an official visit). Since most coaches will be at the Final 4 Nika could also meet with those coaches prior to April 4th.
Definition of Contact Period: Coaches can email, text, call, direct message and generally contact athletes and their parents through any NCAA-approved method. In-person contact can occur on the college campus, as well as at tournaments, at the recruit’s school and home.

Normally "official visits" could start the Tuesday after the championship game which would have been April 9th. However, the NCAA has a "dead" period which starts on April 5th and runs through April 11.
Definition of A dead period: Coaches may not have any in-person contact with recruits and/or their parents. In other words, coaches are not allowed to talk to recruits at their college campus, the athlete’s school, an athletic camp or even the grocery store.

The NCAA then opened up a less restrictive "quiet" period which runs from April 12-14.
Definition of quiet period: A time recruits can talk to college coaches in-person on their college campus. However, the coach is not allowed to watch athletes compete in-person, visit their school, talk to them at their home—or talk to them anywhere outside of the college campus.

The NCAA then has another dead period which runs from April 15-18.
The full recruiting calendar is pictured below and additional definitions can be found at this link
What is the NCAA Contact Period | When is the Contact Period

View attachment 41552

Hah! I've got this schedule downloaded and part of my WCBB file.:);) Every version of the ND Recruiting Report I update has some version of this attached...puts everything into context.

For 16 teams, it's kinda tough to have any more home visits under these conditions and schedules. The big wave coming up, of course, are the Official Visits (OVs). At the Bench, we'll be relying on our on-campus correspondents in a major way for eyes and ears reports.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

The highest point on I-90 in the east til well past the Mississippi River is in Beckett, MA.

I guess that, by your argument, would make Albany a mid-western city. :rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
we should go after Pagie B Natalija Marshall for 2020 and 2021 Amari Deberry Azzi Fudd Sania Rivers and jillian Hollinshead and if we have enough room for Oliva Miles snag her too or Sasha goforth
This group of talent would put us back in dynasty mode
I love Saniya Rivers game she is going to be Special
Azzi Fudd-PG
Oliva Miles or Sasha Goforth-SG
Saniya Rivers-wing
Jillian Hollinshead-SF
Amari Deberry-C

Reaction Score
we should go after Pagie B Natalija Marshall for 2020 and 2021 Amari Deberry Azzi Fudd Sania Rivers and jillian Hollinshead and if we have enough room for Oliva Miles snag her too or Sasha goforth
Azzi Fudd-PG
Saniya Rivers-wing
Jillian Hollinshead-SF
Amari Deberry-C

Goforth - keeps getting mentioned in threads. She's 2020 and there has not been a unofficial, going to see her in person, etc... I don't recall anyone in her camp or her every mentioning UConn. Also,she has not listed UConn on her public lists, She has a pinned tweet of schools she's interested in ..NO UCONN!

Hollinshead - another one it's a mystery why she's brough up just like Goforth

Rivers- same as Hollinshead & Goforth

There are a bunch of kids that UConn is actually recruiting actively and have shown interest in UConn but people bring up one's that haven't.

Miles - every scouting lists her as a PG. If UConn still needs to be recruiting a PG in 2021 class, then 2020 recruiting was a disaster..ie...they got none of Bueckers, Val Lith, Muhl.

Fudd and Deberry have offers and are the actual priority gets in 2021. After those 2 ideal would be either Poffenbarger or Demetre, which are both wings. 4th member of class either a guard or a big, depending on what happens in 2020. Guard wise Ducharme is known prospect.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd-PG
Saniya Rivers-wing
Jillian Hollinshead-SF
Amari Deberry-C

all you have to do now is convince all of them to choose UConn...............come to think of it, better let the professionals handle it................:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Goforth - keeps getting mentioned in threads. She's 2020 and there has not been a unofficial, going to see her in person, etc... I don't recall anyone in her camp or her every mentioning UConn. Also,she has not listed UConn on her public lists, She has a pinned tweet of schools she's interested in ..NO UCONN!

Take it with a grain of salt, but someone on an Oregon St. message board is claiming she's down to Arkansas and OSU for her choices.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Hollinshead - another one it's a mystery why she's brough up just like Goforth

Goforth gets mentioned because a) she posted a photo with recruiting mail that included UConn & b) Jasmine Lister follows her Instagram feed as she does with a slew of other players UConn is recruiting

Hollingshead is mentioned because of this tweet from last summer:

Reaction Score
A someone who grew up in the Norristown, PA ( hometown of both Geno Auriemma & Tommy Lasorda) the Western part of PA (1 exit past Valley Forge if you are heading west on the PA turnpike & 1 exit past Lansdale if you are on the Northeast extension is considered mid-western for everything that is scared.
Everything that is sacred includes religion, politics, and sandwiches- the last being the most important.
Reading, Downingtown, just before the valley forge exit Amish country. Rt 100.
My circuit including Paoli and mecca of WBB.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nope, charlie is right it-s east of Oh ho ho. Some thought east of LA was too far east.
OOOH Wow!

It's all in good fun. When you live on the opposite side of the country one might tend to have a very general and broad idea of geography in an area you aren't familiar with. I think some people consider Texas as being in the West, but I am not one of them.

Reaction Score
It's all in good fun. When you live on the opposite side of the country one might tend to have a very general and broad idea of geography in an area you aren't familiar with. I think some people consider Texas as being in the West, but I am not one of them.
Some in Hawaii consider Calif the east coast. I have lived on both coast and in between
At times I considered Sunnyvale, Ca and North GRanby, Ct home. To show how much I loved either--I now live in Virginia.

Reaction Score
Some in Hawaii consider Calif the east coast. I have lived on both coast and in between
At times I considered Sunnyvale, Ca and North GRanby, Ct home. To show how much I loved either--I now live in Virginia.

if California is on the east coast what are NY/NJ/CT on................................the eastiest east coast.................?????....................:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom