2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 88 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If people want to bicker, take it off the board and stop cluttering up threads with petty arguments.

And, for new posters, don’t call people trolls. You’re the new guy. Learn who’s who

MTC

Reaction Score
I think a victory over UCLA would give our west coast recruiting a big boost at just the right time. Hoping Katie Lou has a big game.

Reaction Score
I think a victory over UCLA would give our west coast recruiting a big boost at just the right time. Hoping Katie Lou has a big game.
Lou is unique in that her parents can travel to many games. Tough bet for Geno to focus on West Coast.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Except there is only 1 (Brooke Demetre) potential UCONN recruit on the West Coast in the next couple of class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We got Diana, Charde, Lauren, Kaleena, and Lou from So. Cal.
Yea but we lost Jayne Appel and Haley Jones. Prospects just aren't in Cali in the next couple of classes, things will turn around.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yea but we lost Jayne Appel and Haley Jones. Prospects just aren't in Cali in the next couple of classes, things will turn around.
Yeah, Appel wanted to say closer to home. Haley was a special case. She plays 15 miles from Maples and went to camp at Stanford as a kid. It's very hard to get Stanford-qualified kids out of the Bay Area. Getting kids out of So. Cal. is a different matter.

I'll trade Jayne and Haley for Diana, Kaleena, and Lou, even though I love Haley.

Reaction Score
We got Diana, Charde, Lauren, Kaleena, and Lou from So. Cal.
I think your note makes my point. Over what time period did we sign these 5? Past 21 years? Not saying to ignore CA but time spent there is time not invested in other geogs where the return could be as great and more predictable.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think your note makes my point. Over what time period did we sign these 5? Past 21 years? Not saying to ignore CA but time spent there is time not invested in other geogs where the return could be as great and more predictable.
Well, we now play at SMU and Houston most years. Texas likely has the top talent pool, though kids there tend to stay within state.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry made a local paper's All First Team:

Amari DeBerry – FIRST TEAM

Williamsville South Lady Billies

It’s hard to undersell the impact that 6-foot-5 sophomore center Amari DeBerry has on the court for Williamsville South – even if she doesn’t play in the second half of most contests. Last year’s All-Bee MVP averaged 17 points, eight rebounds and four blocks a game despite playing far less than a full game in virtually all of South’s contests this winter. The four-year varsity squad member, who was also a First Team All-Bee all-star as an eighth grader, scored just under 400 points this winter.

And on top of spending a good chunk of most games on the bench so as to not let outcomes get out of hand, DeBerry was also injured at various points throughout the season. So as dominant as DeBerry was, the team co-captain could’ve had even more impressive numbers had she been fully healthy all year – or was worried about her personal output.

“Amari doesn’t get caught up in the numbers, and she does all she can to not let it bother her that teams focus so much of their defensive attention on her,” South coach Kristen Dolan said. “The amazing thing is, as extremely talented as she is, she’s still learning and continuing to develop her skills. She’s just a hard-working and dedicated team player who loves her teammates. She’s so happy for them when they have success.”

As one would imagine, DeBerry cuts an imposing presence at the defensive end of the floor. The high-level AAU player – DeBerry is in her second season with the Philadelphia Belles’ 17U Elite Youth Basketball League Nike team – alters nearly as many shots as she actually blocks if anyone dares challenge her in the paint.

“She just blocks and alters so many shots in the paint,” Dolan said. “She’s working hard out there, from boxing out and rebounding, to stepping into passing lanes, to blocking shots and then running the floor. That’s one of her strengths, getting to the rim. She’s actually been working a lot on her guard skills both during the season and in the off-season; she’s great at finding her open teammates and getting them the ball, and some games this season she might have actually led the team in assists because of that. All I know is, I’m just really lucky to be the one to coach her. It’s a joy for me to watch her continue to develop.”

2019 Girls All-Bee Team | Lancaster Depew Bee

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry made a local paper's All First Team:

Amari DeBerry – FIRST TEAM

Williamsville South Lady Billies

It’s hard to undersell the impact that 6-foot-5 sophomore center Amari DeBerry has on the court for Williamsville South – even if she doesn’t play in the second half of most contests. Last year’s All-Bee MVP averaged 17 points, eight rebounds and four blocks a game despite playing far less than a full game in virtually all of South’s contests this winter. The four-year varsity squad member, who was also a First Team All-Bee all-star as an eighth grader, scored just under 400 points this winter.

And on top of spending a good chunk of most games on the bench so as to not let outcomes get out of hand, DeBerry was also injured at various points throughout the season. So as dominant as DeBerry was, the team co-captain could’ve had even more impressive numbers had she been fully healthy all year – or was worried about her personal output.

“Amari doesn’t get caught up in the numbers, and she does all she can to not let it bother her that teams focus so much of their defensive attention on her,” South coach Kristen Dolan said. “The amazing thing is, as extremely talented as she is, she’s still learning and continuing to develop her skills. She’s just a hard-working and dedicated team player who loves her teammates. She’s so happy for them when they have success.”

As one would imagine, DeBerry cuts an imposing presence at the defensive end of the floor. The high-level AAU player – DeBerry is in her second season with the Philadelphia Belles’ 17U Elite Youth Basketball League Nike team – alters nearly as many shots as she actually blocks if anyone dares challenge her in the paint.

“She just blocks and alters so many shots in the paint,” Dolan said. “She’s working hard out there, from boxing out and rebounding, to stepping into passing lanes, to blocking shots and then running the floor. That’s one of her strengths, getting to the rim. She’s actually been working a lot on her guard skills both during the season and in the off-season; she’s great at finding her open teammates and getting them the ball, and some games this season she might have actually led the team in assists because of that. All I know is, I’m just really lucky to be the one to coach her. It’s a joy for me to watch her continue to develop.”

2019 Girls All-Bee Team | Lancaster Depew Bee

I assume UConn will continue do everything possible to secure her commitment...................she is going to be a special player

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Always thought Washington was on the west coast. :rolleyes:
The city of Cashmere is located in the geographic center of Washington State on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains. :eek: That would be like saying Swin Cash is from the east coast.

MTC

Reaction Score
The city of Cashmere is located in the geographic center of Washington State on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains. :eek: That would be like saying Swin Cash is from the east coast.
Really?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well Cashmere is about half the distance to the coast as Pittsburgh is. And most people would consider PA East Coast.

Cashmere isn't in the Great Plains. ;)

Reaction Score
Well Cashmere is about half the distance to the coast as Pittsburgh is. And most people would consider PA East Coast.

Cashmere isn't in the Great Plains. ;)
Most PA residents consider Pitt to be more in the Mid-west than East Coast. :D

Reaction Score
Take it from someone who grew up 8 miles from Storrs and has lived in California for the past 50 years, a person living in Cashmere would consider a drive to either Seattle(UW) or Spokane(WAST) a “hop, skip and a jump”.

And the “distance issue” for someone from Cashmere considering OU or ORST(Eugene or Corvallis) would be about the same as someone from Manchester CT considering going to Wellesley or BC.

You have to live out here to understand it. My son in Seattle has driven to Spokane several times to take his pre-teen daughters to club soccer games.

Reaction Score
from what I have experienced, if you live in a state that directly touches the Atlantic or the Pacific Oceans or share borders with one of those states that do, you are likely considered living on the east coast or the west coast of the United States

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
from what I have experienced, if you live in a state that directly touches the Atlantic or the Pacific Oceans or share borders with one of those states that do, you are likely considered living on the east coast or the west coast of the United States
West virginia? Tennessee? Kentucky? Alabama? Idaho? Nevada? Arizona?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This seems like a strange debate. I thought it was a given Washington is a West Coast state so if you live in Washington, you are on the West Coast. Sure Cashmere is inland but it's not in the Rocky Mountains or the Midwest. Where else would you call it?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This seems like a strange debate. I thought it was a given Washington is a West Coast state so if you live in Washington, you are on the West Coast. Sure Cashmere is inland but it's not in the Rocky Mountains or the Midwest. Where else would you call it?
Says the poster whose Avatar reads : " Hopeless West Coast Homer". What is that old adage: When you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. :eek::D

MTC

Reaction Score
Most PA residents consider Pitt to be more in the Mid-west than East Coast. :D
Says the poster whose Avatar reads : " Hopeless West Coast Homer". What is that old adage: When you are a hammer everything looks like a nail. :eek::D
Coco is not always right but he is never wrong. Let's just agree with him on this.

Reaction Score
West virginia? Tennessee? Kentucky? Alabama? Idaho? Nevada? Arizona?

all I can say is that I traveled back and forth from NJ to Los Angeles for a number of years and out there if you were from anywhere east of Ohio you were considered from the east coast...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom