2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 86 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recruiting is such a crap shoot. Cierra Dillard (Buffalo) was a three star recruit with a 90 grade by ESPN and she turned into a top pro prospect. Just goes to show you that you can't rely on rating services to find the best players.

She's not a top pro prospect.

Reaction Score
All-star game held in Georgia this past weekend. Kamilla Cardoso is not hard to spot, but she's #15 in black anyway.

AEBL Hoops Dirty 24 All-Star Game - Girls - YouTube

well I will say that she gets up and down the court pretty well for a big post player..............nobody seemed interested in giving her the ball inside.................the few times she did happen to get the ball she scored

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s why i personally don’t get hung up on rankings. You will notice some on here do. The ESPN W POY was ranked 80!!
Rankings depend on exposure in club circuits and some kids are hidden jewels. I just depend on the coaching staff for that and enjoy the product on the floor.
Look at the kids on a lot of the tournament teams who are really good. A lot of talent below the top 50 or 75. and we have more competition than ever for top kids. UConn might need to deepen the net a bit because the elite kids are getting an expanding number of decent programs closer to home. I’m not sure a Taurasi leaves the West Coast for us so readily. Players like Erwin and Bent are nice kids, but they are pretty much walk on caliber at UConn. There have to be kids somewhere between them and the top 50 kids we chase who can play for us so that missing on the top branches doesn’t leave us where we look to be next year.

Reaction Score
Look at the kids on a lot of the tournament teams who are really good. A lot of talent below the top 50 or 75. and we have more competition than ever for top kids. UConn might need to deepen the net a bit because the elite kids are getting an expanding number of decent programs closer to home. I’m not sure a Taurasi leaves the West Coast for us so readily. Players like Erwin and Bent are nice kids, but they are pretty much walk on caliber at UConn. There have to be kids somewhere between them and the top 50 kids we chase who can play for us so that missing on the top branches doesn’t leave us where we look to be next year.

that's blasphemous talk my friend!!!!!...........be prepared to be called a Louisville fan boy and a know nothing.................believe me I know.............:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

For those that were advocating UCONN casting a wider net in recruiting-you got it!
For the 2020 class this list of players (15) have confirmed UCONN interest or are interested in UCONN. This is the largest number of recruits I can ever remember UCONN being involved with at this date in the process ~ 9 Months before early signing day. View attachment 39570

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Reaction Score
With all due respect to Ms. Dillard, UConn shut her down in the 1st half. Only when UConn was in foul trouble did she start to bull her way into shots. Good player but seems like her HS rating was relatively accurate.
After rewatching the game I was so Impressed with Dillard and teammates. Without a top recruit they gave Uconn a battle and if they had a "BIG" it might have ended different. We have to get tougher on the boards.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
QUOTE="CocoHusky, post: 3037610, member: 5823"]For those that were advocating UCONN casting a wider net in recruiting-you got it!
For the 2020 class this list of players (15) have confirmed UCONN interest or are interested in UCONN. This is the largest number of recruits I can ever remember UCONN being involved with at this date in the process ~ 9 Months before early signing day. View attachment 39570
[/QUOTE

]im not sure that’s a lot wider than usual and it isn’t very deep ranking wise. Only Marshall is a relatively local kid. Obviously getting some of those kids is possible. Getting none of them is also.possiblr. My point was as that list suggests, there are no kids even around the 75-100 level on that list who might be pretty good role players. Lots of athletic good shooting kids out there who might never be AA but who help a team to win. Or we could move the university to Texas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE

]im not sure that’s a lot wider than usual and it isn’t very deep ranking wise. Only Marshall is a relatively local kid. Obviously getting some of those kids is possible. Getting none of them is also.possiblr. My point was as that list suggests, there are no kids even around the 75-100 level on that list who might be pretty good role players. Lots of athletic good shooting kids out there who might never be AA but who help a team to win. Or we could move the university to Texas.
The list is definitely wider than usual because we are only 2 weeks away from the start of official visits.
Getting none of them is and has always been a possibility. You point about it being wider in terms of depth (50-100) is correct. Every year there will be kids that perform above their HS rank. Megan Gustafson is just the latest. In 2015 UCONN offered two post players Kalani Brown and Batouly Camara. Batouly was ranked #53 in the class. UCONN is evaluating players in the range you are suggesting and some are actually offered. Let's be practical though, the UCONN program is not going to be sustained by players ranked in the range you are suggesting. I can't think of a single player in the range who has made a significant contribution to the UCONN program=starter. Now let's flip that around to the recruits perspective. Why would a recruit ranked in that range pick UCONN when they can go to Kentucky or Iowa play as a freshmen, average 35 minutes per game playing instead of praying for garbage time to get in 5 mins per game?

MTC

Reaction Score
I am new here so I ask a few simple questions. Does Geno wait to announce all his commitments at one time usually? I have a feeling that many girls will wait until the last minute before declaring. How many of our recruits actually have offers?
The list is definitely wider than usual because we are only 2 weeks away from the start of official visits.
Getting none of them is and has always been a possibility. You point about it being wider in terms of depth (50-100) is correct. Every year there will be kids that perform above their HS rank. Megan Gustafson is just the latest. In 2015 UCONN offered two post players Kalani Brown and Batouly Camara. Batouly was ranked #53 in the class. UCONN is evaluating players in the range you are suggesting and some are actually offered. Let's be practical though, the UCONN program is not going to be sustained by players ranked in the range you are suggesting. I can't think of a single player in the range who has made a significant contribution to the UCONN program=starter. Now let's flip that around to the recruits perspective. Why would a recruit ranked in that range pick UCONN when they can go to Kentucky or Iowa play as a freshmen, average 35 minutes per game playing instead of praying for garbage time to get in 5 mins per game?
I agree with everything you said but here is the thing - against Buffalo we had the height advantage, the home court advantage, the better coach advantage, and higher ranked recruits advantage and the game was competitive. So just maybe we could figure out how Buffalo does so well with lower ranked players.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

That’s a critique of Geno. He either trusts a player or not at all. But we all know you can’t sustain excellence with one recruit every few years coupled with scramble late recruits like Bent who are flattered to be recruited. I’d have to believe there are kids in the lower half of even the top 100 who would also be flattered to be recruited by UConn. It seems like we aren’t recruiting in light of present day competition and geographic distribution of talent. Maybe we still get an occasional star from afar like Williams, Not that it would work quite so well these days, but UConn’s rise to the top began with almost all Northeast kids. Maybe a little bit more focus on the closer to home territory is needed without abandoning the attempt to get more distant prizes. But we are spoiled. Our big issue is maybe we aren’t going to win an NC.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Because there should be adults in their life that are reminding them that their college career expands beyond their freshman year. When you go to UConn, you theoretically go with the understanding that you will be pushed dangerously close to the edge, to become a better player in FOUR YEARS.

If you want to be a star on day one, it was a pleasure watching your highlight tapes. Even Stewie had times her freshmen year when she was in Geno’s doghouse. But if you are willing to put in the work and are a top caliber player and willing to drink the Kool Aid, then UConn will almost always be the better option.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That’s a critique of Geno. He either trusts a player or not at all. But we all know you can’t sustain excellence with one recruit every few years coupled with scramble late recruits like Bent who are flattered to be recruited. I’d have to believe there are kids in the lower half of even the top 100 who would also be flattered to be recruited by UConn. It seems like we aren’t recruiting in light of present day competition and geographic distribution of talent. Maybe we still get an occasional star from afar like Williams, Not that it would work quite so well these days, but UConn’s rise to the top began with almost all Northeast kids. Maybe a little bit more focus on the closer to home territory is needed without abandoning the attempt to get more distant prizes. But we are spoiled. Our big issue is maybe we aren’t going to win an NC.
What is a critique of Geno? Don't see how you can say UCONN is not recruiting relative to distribution of talent. Cali, Missouri, NY, TX, Washington state, Minnesota, TN, Arkansas, Virginia, Canada, Georgia, Poland, Australia, Crotia, Germany are some of the recent homes or recruiting targets. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because there should be adults in their life that are reminding them that their college career expands beyond their freshman year. When you go to UConn, you theoretically go with the understanding that you will be pushed dangerously close to the edge, to become a better player in FOUR YEARS. If you want to be a star on day one, it was a pleasure watching your highlight tapes. Even Stewie had times her freshmen year when she was in Geno’s doghouse. But if you are willing to put in the work and are a top caliber player and willing to drink the Kool Aid, then UConn will almost always be the better option.
There "should be", often there is not. UCONN is not for everyone. I'm more than happy with the ones we get, can't be concerned about those we don't.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am new here so I ask a few simple questions. Does Geno wait to announce all his commitments at one time usually? I have a feeling that many girls will wait until the last minute before declaring. How many of our recruits actually have offers?
I agree with everything you said but here is the thing - against Buffalo we had the height advantage, the home court advantage, the better coach advantage, and higher ranked recruits advantage and the game was competitive. So just maybe we could figure out how Buffalo does so well with lower ranked players.
Q: Does Geno wait to announce all his commitments at one time usually?
A: Geno is required to wait until a NLI is signed before he can comment on any specific recruit. At the end of the recruiting period UCONN WBB generally issues a statement saying who the members of each recruiting class are (is).
Q: How many of our recruits actually have offers?
A: For the class of 2020 UCONN has 3 offers that have been reported in the press-NOT REPORTED BY UCONN. Van Lith, Gusters, & Brueckers. There is an unconfirmed report that Reese has a UCONN offer.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What is a critique of Geno? Do see how you can say UCONN is not recruiting relative to distribution of talent. Cali, Missouri, NY, TX, Washington state, Minnesota, TN, Arkansas, Virginia, Canada, Georgia, Poland, Australia, Crotia, Germany are some of the recent homes or recruiting targets. What am I missing here?

That kids won’t come here just to plat garbage time. That was basically a critique of Geno. It’s true that his trust level is very conservative.

Yes, you missed my point. I’m saying he is recruiting distant places where top kids now have more pretty solid non-UConn choices. And he is losing kids who might have drooled over UConn 10 years ago but because of those geographic options near home decide to stay closer. It looks like we don’t pay attention to kids closer to home who are even top 75-100 some of whom are diamonds in the rough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That kids won’t come here just to plat garbage time. That was basically a critique of Geno. It’s true that his trust level is very conservative.
Don't think that's a fair critique then. Top 75-100 kids aren't going ANYWHERE to play garbage time. 10-30 kids aren't going ANYWHERE where they have to sit- have you seen the transfer rates lately. Why pin that on Geno?

Reaction Score

Yes, you missed my point. I’m saying he is recruiting distant places where top kids now have more pretty solid non-UConn choices. And he is losing kids who might have drooled over UConn 10 years ago but because of those geographic options near home decide to stay closer. It looks like we don’t pay attention to kids closer to home who are even top 75-100 some of whom are diamonds in the rough.
You are spot on that the farther you go to recruit, the lower the probability of success. I am a sales guy and I would always tell my team that focusing on lower probability prospects however great means you may waste time that could be better invested (ex Boston). Yes, we are getting CA, TX, TN, etc. prospects but similar to any gamble, sometimes you win (ex. Lou/CA), and sometimes you lose. Recruiting goes in phases and coaches need to adjust.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are spot on that the farther you go to recruit, the lower the probability of success. I am a sales guy and I would always tell my team that focusing on lower probability prospects however great means you may waste time that could be better invested (ex Boston). Yes, we are getting CA, TX, TN, etc. prospects but similar to any gamble, sometimes you win (ex. Lou/CA), and sometimes you lose. Recruiting goes in phases and coaches need to adjust.
We can't look at the outcome and retroactively decide if the investment was worth it. If you say Boston was not worth the investment then I would argue that Rebecca Lobo, DT, Shea Ralph, Tina Charles & Stewie were. These are all players where the investment by the staff in recruiting was questioned BEFORE the investment was made.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don't think that's a fair critique then. Top 75-100 kids aren't going ANYWHERE to play garbage time. 10-30 kids aren't going ANYWHERE where they have to sit- have you seen the transfer rates lately. Why pin that on Geno?
You still don’t get it. Why are some kids only playing garbage time? Geno’s trust level is very shallow. A kid like Coombs who he’s played a bit more lately didn’t see the floor at all even against Buffalo when her main asset might have been useful.

Your central assumption seems to be that mid level ranked kids won’t come to UConn because they will get more playing time elsewhere. How do you know that when we don’t recruit those kids? I’m saying we don’t particularly hedge at all against missing the top kids in a world where most top players don’t live anywhere near Connecticut and these days have very good options near where they live.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We can't look at the outcome and retroactively decide if the investment was worth it. If you say Boston was not worth the investment then I would argue that Rebecca Lobo, DT, Shea Ralph, Tina Charles & Stewie were. These are all players where the investment by the staff in recruiting was questioned BEFORE the investment was made.
You ignore comptely the point. The competition is much broader for top kids who live further away from Connecticut. The kids you named are all from the northaast except for Shea Ralph who came here when the competition for soneonei.of her caliber was pretty much Tennessee, UNC and a few others.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You still don’t get it. Why are some kids only playing garbage time? Geno’s trust level is very shallow. A kid like Coombs who he’s played a bit more lately didn’t see the floor at all even against Buffalo when her main asset might have been useful.

Let me see if I get this right: Mikayla is playing garbage time because "Geno's trust level is shallow"?
I don't believe that! Mikayla is playing garbage time (sometimes not at all) because she has not shown the ability to impact the game in a positive manner. This is the same standard that has been applied to every player to wear a UCONN uniform while Geno has been the coach. Why should Geno make an exception for Mikayla?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You ignore comptely the point. The competition is much broader for top kids who live further away from Connecticut. The kids you named are all from the northaast except for Shea Ralph who came here when the competition for soneonei.of her caliber was pretty much Tennessee, UNC and a few others.
DT is from the NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32