2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 85 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You would hope a 6'5 center that is a 5 star would be more impactful on the high school level. Maybe she is the type of player you just hope slowly improves each year and by her junior or senior year of college can be a contributor?
This is why schools, not fans, evaluate and decide who gets scholarships. What type of defense was the other team playing? Was it focused on her? A post is dependent on guards. Does she routinely avenge 5 points and 6 rebounds? Her team won. Did trying to stop her influence the game? You'll see more of this when the allstar games commence.

Reaction Score
Okay. Totally obtuse question from one without many answers and clearly less knowledge than most of you all.... but I can't recall a year when so few juniors had verballed. Only 10 out of espn top 100 prospects have verbally committed by tournament time of their junior year for class of 2020. Is this off or am I having selective memory? Thanks in advance....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A comparison for folks to ponder: Taylor Mikesell was the Big 10 Freshman of the Year and starting point guard for the Maryland Terrapins this year. She was ranked #33 by HoopGurlz in 2018. Aubrey Griffin was ranked #33 by HoopGurlz in 2019.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Okay. Totally obtuse question from one without many answers and clearly less knowledge than most of you all.... but I can't recall a year when so few juniors had verballed. Only 10 out of espn top 100 prospects have verbally committed by tournament time of their junior year for class of 2020. Is this off or am I having selective memory? Thanks in advance....
I think it is roughly about the same from what I can remember. At this time last year the only 2019 top 25 player I recall being committed were Green to Louisville and Owusu to MD.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't know the answer to your question, but it sure seems like four or five years ago there were many more early commitments than what we're seeing now.

And thanks for posting.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A new article on Natalija Marshall says she's only sure to take official visits to Notre Dame and Stanford.

Reaction Score
A new article on Natalija Marshall says she's only sure to take official visits to Notre Dame and Stanford.
Hasn’ she been on an unofficial here before? Maybe she feels she has already seen enough of UConn. If I’m a recruit I’d take all 5 visits just to do it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Source? I saw an article a few days ago but it was behind a paywall. Anyhow, this is the latest from the usually pretty reliable ND Hoops Recruits twitter account:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Source? I saw an article a few days ago but it was behind a paywall.

You know, I think that info is a combination of a previous ESPN article and the Prospects Nation piece from the other day. The latter said she was considering UConn too, however. It may also be in that paywall article on NYCHoops' site.

Reaction Score

I think the excitement comes from AG playing at full speed 100% of the time.....................perhaps Geno will have to teach her to control that aggression the way he did with a certain Canadian guard who enjoyed driving to the basket without brakes............

MTC

Reaction Score
I think the excitement comes from AG playing at full speed 100% of the time......perhaps Geno will have to teach her to control that aggression the way he did with a certain Canadian guard who enjoyed driving to the basket without brakes..
I think AG will give Geno a good start to replacing NC next year. I think Geno will restock the shelves with talent in 2021.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Don’t know why AEH keeps coming up in these comversations, especially since she has a very different skill set as compared to Griffin, but how can anyone describe AEH as a potential POY? Don’t get it.

Well, according to this year's POY candidates, you just have to shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot without playing much defense to be nominated. If that's the new standard, then maybe she'll get the nod one day...

Reaction Score
I think the excitement comes from AG playing at full speed 100% of the time......perhaps Geno will have to teach her to control that aggression the way he did with a certain Canadian guard who enjoyed driving to the basket without brakes..
Controlling the aggression is good. Controlling the enthusiasm not so good. CW had a similar bent on her approach to the HS games. I think she is regaining some of that. Bubbly, giggly she makes post game interviews just FUN. The Canadian guard played a lot of hockey and collisions were expected--retaliations demanded, and she did just that. Seems DT had a leaning in that respect.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Recruiting is such a crap shoot. Cierra Dillard (Buffalo) was a three star recruit with a 90 grade by ESPN and she turned into a top pro prospect. Just goes to show you that you can't rely on rating services to find the best players.
It is. Some kids who were not highly ranked include Courtney Williams and Breonna Jones of the Sun and Tianna Hawkins of the Mystics. All were ranked about #100. In contrast, what ever happened to Angie Bjorklund, who was ranked behind only Maya Moore?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
It is. Some kids who were not highly ranked include Courtney Williams and Breonna Jones of the Sun and Tianna Hawkins of the Mystics. All were ranked about #100. In contrast, what ever happened to Angie Bjorklund, who was ranked behind only Maya Moore?

She went to Tennessee, that's what happened. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In contrast, what ever happened to Angie Bjorklund, who was ranked behind only Maya Moore?

The national pundits were totally enamored w/ Bjorklund. I remember at the time that some locals felt like Courtney Vandersloot was the best player in Washington at the time. They were correct, and it really wasn't even close. Vandersloot got no attention at all, even from Pac 12 schools.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Recruiting is such a crap shoot. Cierra Dillard (Buffalo) was a three star recruit with a 90 grade by ESPN and she turned into a top pro prospect. Just goes to show you that you can't rely on rating services to find the best players.

It’s why i personally don’t get hung up on rankings. You will notice some on here do. The ESPN W POY was ranked 80!!
Rankings depend on exposure in club circuits and some kids are hidden jewels. I just depend on the coaching staff for that and enjoy the product on the floor.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to Ms. Dillard, UConn shut her down in the 1st half. Only when UConn was in foul trouble did she start to bull her way into shots. Good player but seems like her HS rating was relatively accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom