2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 58 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I doubt that all of Duncanville's HSAA's players over the last 10 years or so just all happened to grow up and learn to play in the same district.
If it was the Duncanville coach or someone from the school that reported Gusters then they are getting what they deserve. Does anyone actually believe that Duncanville has remained a power all these years due to an extraordinary concentration of basketball talent in one HS district?????
I certainly don't believe that & and I'm in full agreement with your first sentence. I'm a little confused by
the second sentence with regards to "reporting Gusters." The Gusters family decided to pull her out of Duncanville and enrolled her at Macarthur. According to Google the two high schools are 22 miles apart. When Gusters enrolled at Macarthur she was declared ineligible. Don't know the details but I suspect that Texas has the same rule we have in PA which is you can't transfer for athletic reasons especially when you do that in the middle of the BB season. If her family decided to move into the Macarthur school district that would be a legitimate reason for her to change school.

Reaction Score
I doubt that all of Duncanville's HSAA's players over the last 10 years or so just all happened to grow up and learn to play in the same district.
If it was the Duncanville coach or someone from the school that reported Gusters then they are getting what they deserve. Does anyone actually believe that Duncanville has remained a power all these years due to an extraordinary concentration of basketball talent in one HS district?????
Its relatively common for parents to move to a school district that excels in their child's sport. Rumors about Duncanville girl's basketball for years but nothing ever proven. May again be smoke but no fire.

Reaction Score
Its relatively common for parents to move to a school district that excels in their child's sport. Rumors about Duncanville girl's basketball for years but nothing ever proven. May again be smoke but no fire.

Both you and Coco have probably forgotten more about girls HSBB than I ever knew but what's the difference between a girl transferring by herself for basketball and a girl having a family that is so supportive that they sell their home and move for her basketball? I understand rule differences and I know families move for other reasons but bottom line, both players are transferring primarily for basketball reasons, the only difference being their family's commitment level.

Reaction Score
I certainly don't believe that & and I'm in full agreement with your first sentence. I'm a little confused by
the second sentence with regards to "reporting Gusters." The Gusters family decided to pull her out of Duncanville and enrolled her at Macarthur. According to Google the two high schools are 22 miles apart. When Gusters enrolled at Macarthur she was declared ineligible. Don't know the details but I suspect that Texas has the same rule we have in PA which is you can't transfer for athletic reasons especially when you do that in the middle of the BB season. If her family decided to move into the Macarthur school district that would be a legitimate reason for her to change school.
Yes, Texas has that same rule. When Gusters transferred, the D’ville coach filed a protest that the move was for athletic reasons. That’s what prompted the review and subsequent 7-0 ruling of Gusters as ineligible. From a few postings I read on a Baylor fan forum I gathered that D’ville is considered a UTexas pipeline and MacArthur seems to be a Baylor pipeline. The Baylor fans seem excited that Andrews and Gusters might be a package deal to Baylor since Mulkey has been recruiting Andrews very hard since 8th grade. As I understand it Gusters will be eligible for her senior season. Between the coaches, the widespread recruiting, and the shady involvement by many parents over years it’s quite a cesspool down there. But it is comical how the D’ville coach blew the whistle after being the recipient of so many “fortunate” transfers over the years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/15

Amari DeBerry scored 29 points, 17 of them in the 4th quarter to help her team upset the #1 team in the district.

DeBerry's full line:

29 points, 10 rebounds, 8 blocks, 4 assists

“Amari DeBerry is a great player, and her physicality on the inside really gave us problems,” O’Hara coach Nick O’Neil said.

“She rose to the occasion,” South coach Kristen Dolan said.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/16

Paige Bueckers had 14 points in limited minutes Saturday as her team was up 40 by the half.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Both you and Coco have probably forgotten more about girls HSBB than I ever knew but what's the difference between a girl transferring by herself for basketball and a girl having a family that is so supportive that they sell their home and move for her basketball? I understand rule differences and I know families move for other reasons but bottom line, both players are transferring primarily for basketball reasons, the only difference being their family's commitment level.
Ultimately there is no difference & generally I applaud any parent that puts out an effort to get their child into a better basketball or academic situation as long as the effort is within the establish rules. I've seen creative (shady?) moves such as opening a PO box in the school district, using Grandma Address or going to the courthouse and registering as the owner of an abandoned bldg in that school district. I could have respect any or all of those moves because it would have benefited the child. I can't respect what the Gusters did here because in the end the child was the one harmed by missing her junior season.

Reaction Score
Yes that’s why the Duncanville coach resigned :D

Reaction Score
Ultimately there is no difference & generally I applaud any parent that puts out an effort to get their child into a better basketball or academic situation as long as the effort is within the establish rules. I've seen creative (shady?) moves such as opening a PO box in the school district, using Grandma Address or going to the courthouse and registering as the owner of an abandoned bldg in that school district. I could have respect any or all of those moves because it would have benefited the child. I can't respect what the Gusters did here because in the end the child was the one harmed by missing her junior season.
This is one of the stranger situations I have seen in high school sports. Doubt any of us know all the facts.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Courant's Doug Bonjour:

On the recruiting trail: Auriemma recently traveled to watch 6-4 Irving MacArthur (Texas) forward Hannah Gusters, the No. 7 ranked player in the Class of 2020 by ESPN. He also checked in on the No. 8 player in that year’s class, 6-6 forward Kamilla Cardoso out of Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (Tenn.).

Auriemma: Collier the ‘perfect player’ to be UConn’s post quarterback

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This is one of the stranger situations I have seen in high school sports. Doubt any of us know all the facts.
We had that situation here in St. Louis. Aijha Blackwell, Missouri recruit, played one game for Whitfield and transferred to Cardinal Ritter Prep. Her mother said she could no longer afford the tuition. Blackwell has not played one game since her transfer.

Reaction Score

On the recruiting trail: Auriemma recently traveled to watch 6-4 Irving MacArthur (Texas) forward Hannah Gusters, the No. 7 ranked player in the Class of 2020 by ESPN. He also checked in on the No. 8 player in that year’s class, 6-6 forward Kamilla Cardoso out of Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (Tenn.).

Auriemma: Collier the ‘perfect player’ to be UConn’s post quarterback

Around here it's mostly the Catholic and private schools that do the recruiting, legal and illegal........................seems crazy to me that a family would move so that their already #7 ranked daughter could play for a different public high school team since most folks seem to think that high school basketball is an afterthought compared to AAU ball...................BTW if she's not playing how was Geno watching her?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We had that situation here in St. Louis. Aijha Blackwell, Missouri recruit, played one game for Whitfield and transferred to Cardinal Ritter Prep. Her mother said she could no longer afford the tuition. Blackwell has not played one game since her transfer.
That's horrible! I did not realize that Aijha was not playing this season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

This note is interesting for who it left out. No mention of Sarah Andrews even though she's at the same school as Gusters. Treasure Hunt not mentioned either.

Reaction Score
Obviously can't and won't speak for Geno. For me the first red flag was her decision to transfer from what was obviously a historically successful program. I posted here about this being a red flag on two levels 1) Several of the recent UCONN transfers (Sadie , De'Janae, Courtney, AEH) were players that walked away from HS teams or transferred while still in HS. 2) At Least two recent Duncanville HS graduates (Zaay Green & Ciera Johnson) transferred or changed their college commitments.
There was a second red flag because being eligible at the new school should have been factored into the decision to transfer and clearly it was not resulting in the player losing her entire Junior year of HS basketball.
The last red flag (poison really) was the threat by the mother to release proof of recruiting violation by the head coach at Duncanville. It seems to me that a HS coach recruiting better players was good with the mother while her daughter was at that school. Once she decided to leave the school the mother suddenly have a problem with Duncanville recruiting. No evidence of good character in that scenario, but I may be wrong.
Having said all that, these are red flag against the parents, NOT THE PLAYER. Gusters appears to be an outstanding basketball player and an exceptional young woman. However, this is UCONN and it would not be the first time that Geno has walked away from a player because of the "quality" of the parents.
Nice points. Difficult to know what will happen in future but solid analysis.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice points. Difficult to know what will happen in future but solid analysis.
Thanks. @Sluconn Husky just posted something indicating that Geno was in TX to see Gusters play earlier this week. We'll see how things unfold.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Angel Reese scored 22 points Friday (2/15).

This video is from last week's game, but it shows how awkward Reese's game can be. Watch from 25 seconds on where she hits the boards hard but bricks an uncontested layup then overshoots the basket on the other side by three feet before sticking with it and scoring on the third attempt.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese scored 22 points Friday (2/15).

This video is from last week's game, but it shows how awkward Reese's game can be. Watch from 25 seconds on where she hits the boards hard but bricks an uncontested layup then overshoots the basket on the other side by three feet before sticking with it and scoring on the third attempt.

Since she is not physically very big, the old rebounding multiple misses won't work in college. Honestly most times I see film of a UConn target it makes sense style wise but this one is a little tougher to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom