2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 59 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had that situation here in St. Louis. Aijha Blackwell, Missouri recruit, played one game for Whitfield and transferred to Cardinal Ritter Prep. Her mother said she could no longer afford the tuition. Blackwell has not played one game since her transfer.
Seems a little odd. Isn't tuition paid prior to the school year. If so, she'd finish out the year wouldn't she? And would the Catholic school tuition be less? The national average tuition is a little over $10K usually payable as half before start of fall semester and the other half before the 2nd. I could understand if she left for a public school but I'd be surprised if the two payments would be a lot different. There may be more to it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems a little odd. Isn't tuition paid prior to the school year. If so, she'd finish out the year wouldn't she? And would the Catholic school tuition be less? The national average tuition is a little over $10K usually payable as half before start of fall semester and the other half before the 2nd. I could understand if she left for a public school but I'd be surprised if the two payments would be a lot different. There may be more to it.
Whitfield is about 3x as much.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese scored 22 points Friday (2/15).

This video is from last week's game, but it shows how awkward Reese's game can be. Watch from 25 seconds on where she hits the boards hard but bricks an uncontested layup then overshoots the basket on the other side by three feet before sticking with it and scoring on the third attempt.

Of the video I've seen, between the lack of fundamentals and laziness I don't even see a high level recruit never mind a UConn level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec confirms. Maybe they're not looking at Hunt. Don't know what to make of no mention of Andrews, however.

Auriemma spent time on the recruiting trail during the Huskies’ break following their win over South Carolina, watching Class of 2020 post players Hannah Gusters and Kamilla Cardoso. Gusters, who is not playing in games after changing high schools in Texas, is the No. 7 recruit in the class by ESPNHoopgurlz while Cardoso, from Chattanooga, is No. 8. …

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/16

Cashmere moves on in the playoffs with a win Saturday behind Hailey Van Lith's 24 points.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/16

Mater Dei’s 6-foot-2 sophomore Brooke Demetre led all players with 21 points.

Demetre scored twice in the opening quarter with an unstoppable fall-away jump shot and showed she could hit from the outside, hitting two 3-pointers.

Reaction Score
Ultimately there is no difference & generally I applaud any parent that puts out an effort to get their child into a better basketball or academic situation as long as the effort is within the establish rules. I've seen creative (shady?) moves such as opening a PO box in the school district, using Grandma Address or going to the courthouse and registering as the owner of an abandoned bldg in that school district. I could have respect any or all of those moves because it would have benefited the child. I can't respect what the Gusters did here because in the end the child was the one harmed by missing her junior season.

I can't respect violating laws to have a student-athlete pretend to live in a community to play sports at another team. In CT, all the tricks you describe would not qualify a student as residing in the community to attend their schools. As a parent, I have a problem with visibly ignoring rules and laws for my own (or child's) selfish purposes. Creates a horrible lesson for your child.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't respect violating laws to have a student-athlete pretend to live in a community to play sports at another team. In CT, all the tricks you describe would not qualify a student as residing in the community to attend their schools. As a parent, I have a problem with visibly ignoring rules and laws for my own (or child's) selfish purposes. Creates a horrible lesson for your child.
I can absolutely respect your lack of respect for the situations you describe. However every circumstances is different even in CT and perhaps we shouldn't be talking in such absolutes. For some less fortunate children basketball may be the ONLY path to college and an opportunity to better their circumstances. For parents that find themselves in those unfortunate situations bending or breaking the rules , as wrong as it may appear to be to you and I, becomes a rather easy choice. The lesson imparted to kids in those circumstances is actually a very good one: "My Mom or Dad is doing everything they can to get me up out of here. Maybe I need to do my part"
I don't view this as any different that the decision that hundreds of thousands of parents have to make to put their kids in private school when those private schools offer better academics.

Reaction Score
With Geno watching Cardoso and Gusters recently, do you all think they are very similar in talent or is one better than the other right now? With the drama at Duncanville with parents speaking out to media about texts and all I sort of am more interested in Cardoso, but clearly both are top prospects.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They are slightly different players. Cardosa because of her size 6'7", sturdy, at the basket mobile, true post. Gusters is more power forward than post equally mobile and a tremendous finisher at the basket that showed the ability to occasionally step out to the 3PT line. If I had to pick only one I would pick Cardosa because DeBerry is only a year behind and more capable than Gusters IMO. Both players can work think of Brown and Cox down at Baylor.

Reaction Score
I'll let the ESPN Hoopgurlz scouting reports speak for themselves

Gusters
"Low-post prospect with consistent interior delivery; alters shots, defends the lane; continued to refine back-to-basket game; a physical post presence that profits on both ends of the floor; a coveted prospect in the class of 2020." (Olson)

Cardoso
"Low-post prospect, outstanding in transition game; emerging back-to-basket game; rebounds and starts the break; shot blocker deluxe; an elite center in the class of 2020." (Olson)

Reaction Score
I can absolutely respect your lack of respect for the situations you describe. However every circumstances is different even in CT and perhaps we shouldn't be talking in such absolutes. For some less fortunate children basketball may be the ONLY path to college and an opportunity to better their circumstances. For parents that find themselves in those unfortunate situations bending or breaking the rules , as wrong as it may appear to be to you and I, becomes a rather easy choice. The lesson imparted to kids in those circumstances is actually a very good one: "My Mom or Dad is doing everything they can to get me up out of here. Maybe I need to do my part"
I don't view this as any different that the decision that hundreds of thousands of parents have to make to put their kids in private school when those private schools offer better academics.
Agree you have to evaluate each individual circumstance. A while back I took my son to Peru to do volunteer work. We worked in a Lima slum. A couple of the things we did were...

1) Helped people hook their houses up to the power grid and illegally tap electricity to heat their homes, cook, and see at night (this work was supervised by nuns).

2) Sorted antibiotics and other medications from batches given to us by hospitals because the dates had expired (we sorted by oldest date so they could use the oldest dates first and have the best the best chance of using the whole batch).

Illegal? Clearly.

Unethical? Immoral? Everyone has to be their own judge of that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1961 - A Wilbur Cross player named Hicks (can't remember the first name) transferred to HIllhouse. Both schools are in New Haven. Hillhouse was the much better team that year and he led them to a state title (against NFA). The story was that someone rented an apartment for his family in the Hillhouse district. Legal or illegal, it stunk.

Reaction Score
1961 - A Wilbur Cross player named Hicks (can't remember the first name) transferred to HIllhouse. Both schools are in New Haven. Hillhouse was the much better team that year and he led them to a state title (against NFA). The story was that someone rented an apartment for his family in the Hillhouse district. Legal or illegal, it stunk.
Dave

Reaction Score
When I lived in Avon our HS had a killer soccer team Our star player was a black kid from inner-city Hartford who was taken into the home of a loving white Avon family so he would "have the opportunity to get a better education" than what was available in the Frog Hollow area public schools. So...

- Did the kid actually have the opportunity to get a better education? Most definitely.

- Was that the real reason he was moved to Avon? Most definitely not.

What's right here?

Reaction Score
When I lived in Avon our HS had a killer soccer team Our star player was a black kid from inner-city Hartford who was taken into the home of a loving white Avon family so he would "have the opportunity to get a better education" than what was available in the Frog Hollow area public schools. So...

- Did the kid actually have the opportunity to get a better education? Most definitely.

- Was that the real reason he was moved to Avon? Most definitely not.

What's right here?

Seems to me the school and the young man both won.

Reaction Score
They are slightly different players. Cardosa because of her size 6'7", sturdy, at the basket mobile, true post. Gusters is more power forward than post equally mobile and a tremendous finisher at the basket that showed the ability to occasionally step out to the 3PT line. If I had to pick only one I would pick Cardosa because DeBerry is only a year behind and more capable than Gusters IMO. Both players can work think of Brown and Cox down at Baylor.
Exactly Both. I sense a bit of split personality on this board sometimes. The board including me chides Geno for only having 3-4 options the last few years and then when he expands the number of options folks start asking which "one". Recruit both hard and see what happens. Until Deberry says yes, Geno can't and shouldn't make recruiting decisions based on her. I know we joke about Walz's recruiting and critique Geno's but I think there can be a happy middle ground, where UConn works about 8-10 players every year from all over the world and hope 3-4 say yes. Then if there is a transfer hear and there if a young woman can't handle the expectations than so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom