2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 145 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I doubt that Belibi will be able to put in the same number of study hours as her fellow pre-meds that don't play a sport. Getting into Stanford medical will be much tougher for her than getting that Stanford scholarship.

Pivec at Oregon St. is pre-med. UConn transfer Courtney Ekmark was in law school while at Arizona St. Elle Tinkle majored in nursing at Gonzaga. Any student athlete has different demands placed on them than their non athlete counterparts. Doesn't stop some from choosing challenging majors.

Reaction Score
Pivec at Oregon St. is pre-med. UConn transfer Courtney Ekmark was in law school while at Arizona St. Elle Tinkle majored in nursing at Gonzaga. Any student athlete has different demands placed on them than their non athlete counterparts. Doesn't stop some from choosing challenging majors.

I'm not saying these women aren't smart enough or willing to work. What I am saying is that there are pre-med students at Stanford who are more driven to get into med school and can put in a lot more hours improving their skills than Belibi will be able to devote. And only a small percentage of pre-med students get into medical school in the US. The competition is fierce. I wish her well.

Reaction Score
E Williams supposedly chose Duke for their medical school. I haven't seen that she ever got admitted (or even applied)

I doubt that Belibi will be able to put in the same number of study hours as her fellow pre-meds that don't play a sport. Getting into Stanford medical will be much tougher for her than getting that Stanford scholarship.

I think Duke has a special program for undergraduate female student-athletes interested in or pursuing medical/healthcare careers. I think the older Waner sister went that direction and acquired a lot of experience in some type of science or medical research through it.

I don't think WCBB recruits believe attending Duke or Stanford as an undergrad would give them a big edge toward admission to Duke or Stanford medical school. And I've never heard of a student-athlete finishing their bachelor's/pre-med curriculum early and matriculating into their school's med school and having their athletic scholarship applied to med school or anything like that. Though it sounds like Ekmark might have managed that (through her 5th year) with ASU's law school?

I imagine Elizabeth Williams wanted a great science/pre-med education and perhaps exposure to extra opportunities by proxy of Duke having a great medical school while she was an undergraduate, and when she is ready to pursue medical school she will have a great knowledge and experience foundation to help her transition back to academics/school.

She may never have even intended to take all the pre-med requirements while an undergrad at Duke, and planned to finish those as a post-bacc student after hoops, but still saw advantages to the offerings Duke had for her medical ambitions.

I know Alison Bales went to med school pretty much right after wrapping up her hoops career.

Some people even say universities tend to favor applicants who did NOT attend their undergrad programs for grad school bc they want to increase the size of their alumni donor pool.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
E Williams supposedly chose Duke for their medical school. I haven't seen that she ever got admitted (or even applied)

I think Duke has a special program for undergraduate female student-athletes interested in or pursuing medical/healthcare careers. I think the older Waner sister went that direction and acquired a lot of experience in some type of science or medical research through it.

I imagine Elizabeth Williams wanted a great science/pre-med education and perhaps exposure to extra opportunities by proxy of Duke having a great medical school while she was an undergraduate, and when she is ready to pursue medical school she will have a great knowledge and experience foundation to help her transition back to academics/school.

I know Alison Bales went to med school pretty much right after wrapping up her hoops career.

Because of the efforts of then-Coach Gail Goestenkors, Duke Duke Neurooncologist Henry Friedman, MD, and Chief of Neurosurgery Allan Friedman, MD, (no relation) began a program in 1999 targeting academically talented female athletes at Duke (all sports, not just basketball) with interests in pursuing careers in medicine, as part of a unique Duke mentoring program --- CAPE.

CAPE is short for Collegiate Athlete Pre-Medical Experience. The program mines highly focused undergraduate female Duke athletes who have an interest in medicine and gives them unprecedented access and insight into the medical world. The goal is to engage them with mentors, role models, lectures, discussion groups, and clinical experiences so they don't become discouraged in the still male-dominated world of medicine. It is the only program in the country that gives undergrads such deep exposure to the field of medicine.

What that means, says Henry Friedman, the deputy director of Duke's Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center, "is that by the time they get to medical school they are pretty damn accomplished. They are comfortable meeting patients, taking medical histories, and giving physical exams. They inhale the opportunities given to them."

Past CAPE participants from Duke Women's Basketball include Georgia Schweitzer (now Beasley), Alison Bales, Elizabeth Williams, and Emily Waner.

As an FYI...
  • Georgia Scwheitzer played in the WNBA for three years at the same time that she was an assistant coach on Goestenkors' staff. When her playing career was finished, she went to Duke Medical School.
  • Alison Bales played four years in the WNBA. She then went to Wright State Medical School (in her home town, Dayton) for five years. During her time at WSU, she also earned a global medical certificate and did work in Swaziland (where she worked with an NGO to help prevent the spread of HIV) and Cambodia (where she worked at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital in Phnom Penh). She is now a resident physician at Indiana University Health.
  • Emily Waner did not play professional basketball; instead, she immediately went to medical school. She graduated from Duke Medical School. In addition to earning her M.D. at Duke, she also earned a Masters in Public Health from the University of North Carolina. She is now a physician at Northwest Hospital (part of the University of Washington)
Bales and Schweitzer both waited a few years before their respective professional basketball days were completed before attending medical school, while E. Waner went right away. And of these three, two attended Duke Medical School.

Williams is clearly the most talented of the four mentioned (with no disrespect to any of the players, but Williams has been a WNBA All-Star and WNBA MIP award winner). She likely will have a much longer playing career, which means she may be attending medical school much later than the others (though she will have plenty of money saved from her playing days in the WNBA and overseas to pay for medical school).[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score

“Nika Muhl - Croatia
PYhYbVtVWU2w2CKehFnd3Q.jpg

A skilled playmaker, it's been an incredible rise to prominence in the last 12-18 months for Muhl. The Croatian ace starred last summer at the 2018 edition of this event and has since been recruited by leading NCAA College, UConn. She has also appeared at the prestigious Basketball Without Borders Global Camp. Expect her to be riding high in the the assists charts and to one day go on to play in EuroLeague Women - one of her ambitions.”

MTC

Reaction Score

“Nika Muhl - Croatia

A skilled playmaker, it's been an incredible rise to prominence in the last 12-18 months for Muhl. The Croatian ace starred last summer at the 2018 edition of this event and has since been recruited by leading NCAA College, UConn. She has also appeared at the prestigious Basketball Without Borders Global Camp. Expect her to be riding high in the the assists charts and to one day go on to play in EuroLeague Women - one of her ambitions.”
It is truly great to see this talented lady have such a strong desire to play for Geno. Talent + coaching = success.

Reaction Score

“Nika Muhl - Croatia

Younger sister Hana is already a better shooter than her - hmmm...

Wonder how many years we will get Nika at UConn before she finds Euroleague irresistible...?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Foster's program list doesn't make much sense. Baylor, UConn, UCLA and Mississippi State on one hand.....Colorado, Detroit Mercy, Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and a school logo I can't even figure out on the other.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pleased to report that '20 Nika Muhl is #1 on the FIBA Super Watch List of players not to miss at FIBA U18 Women's European Championship 2019 in Sarajevo

"A skilled playmaker, it's been an incredible rise to prominence in the last 12-18 months for Muhl. The Croatian ace starred last summer at the 2018 edition of this event and has since been recruited by leading NCAA College, UConn. She has also appeared at the prestigious Basketball Without Borders Global Camp. Expect her to be riding high in the the assists charts and to one day go on to play in EuroLeague Women - one of her ambitions. " Our super must-watch player list for Sarajevo

A old report but still fun:

She does strike me as tough as nails. One of the owners of a recruiting service in Europe say as soon as you see her move on the court you thinkof a shark!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One more on Nika that is quite the article, but pre-commitment.

"I kept playing it because it became the most enjoyable part of my life. 
I have been playing point guard for the last three years, and I think I have definitely found my character in this position, by being able to control the game and passing the ball around.

"In fact, I don't know if I could really be the person who I am without basketball," added Muhl.

"It means so much to me because I can express my own character on the court and learn the good and bad things about myself – as well as trying to improve as a player, and as a person. I really do love competing a lot."

EuroLeague Women is the future for Croatian diamond Muhl

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Younger sister Hana is already a better shooter than her - hmmm...

Wonder how many years we will get Nika at UConn before she finds Euroleague irresistible...?

Please don't ever speak of that possibility again! She'll want some time to play with the national team and I would hope that would satisfy her for a time. She has that Sue B drive and as long as she's challenged and learning I hope to see her sticking around.

As for Hana ... she is regarded as the real deal with the potential to be the best of the 3 sisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom