2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 147 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd underwent her ACL surgery on May 29th.

I can’t jump yet, but my goal is to be able to shoot threes by August.

My return date is completely up in the air. It all depends on how my physical therapy and rehab go. I’m hoping to get back sooner, but I’m in no rush with it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think that it was Muhl's play at that NBA sponsored training session that opened some eyes.

That may well be @Alydar, but Rachel Galligan, who owns a recruiting service in Europe, reports that it was her performance on Croatia's U18 teamin the European tourney last August that woke all sorts of people up -" Less than a month after that tournament, Muhl was contacted by 45 to 50 American universities. And just a few months after that, she received her life-altering email." Rumor has it it was Galligan who gave UConn the heads up .

When UConn called, it was game on for Croatian recruit Nika Muhl

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And yet ESPN has her rated as a 3 star?

I went back and looked at that rating. It is based on a single evaluation in August 2017:

"FIBA U17-August 2017: Agile lead-guard, smooth off the dribble, delivers in traffic; savvy floor game changes pace in uptempo game, exploits the defense with 2-man game; defends, anticipates and converts plays from turnovers; a crafty playmaker. (Olson) "

So I'd pay that rating as much heed as it is worth ... bupkis.

Prospects Nation is even barer. Zip info. Nadda.

After the August U18 European tourney Blue Star Europe wrote: " Basketball Without Borders Europe unofficial MVP frontrunner to Goksen Fitik, Nika Mühl is back in Croatia and WABA league with her Tresnjevka 2009 side and she picked up things where she left them in this great all-round versatility kingdom of hers! High versatility and multiple impact sources become Mühl’s trademark. This season is no different, the 17 year old averages 9,5ppg-7rpg-6,3apg-4,5spg but also 5,5topg in 33mpg after 4 games in CRO league. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see her name for the first time on the CRO NT preliminary roster at least for this November’s Euro qualifying window. Wait and see… " That's when 45 or so colleges started pursuing her. Europe's 2001-2002 generation watch-list early-season round-up - Bluestar Media

And the following month: "The moment everybody knew would happen rather sooner than later is here: Nika Mühl received her first call with the Croatian NT at just 17. Even if she doesn’t make the final cut, the experience she will gain from participating to the camp can only be beneficial for her development. The do-it-all teen sensation, known for posting triple and even quadruple doubles on a regular basis at youth level, shines in both Croatian and WABA leagues so far this season with Tresnjevka 2009. In the Adriatic League, after three games, she has already posted twice 11 assists and leads the competition with 10,3 apg! This NT call should come as great motivation for the talented and ambitious PG whose name we will see many more times on the Croatian roster in the future. " 8 rising stars to follow in the #EuroBasketWomen 2019 Qualifiers window - Bluestar Media

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Recruiting Rankings -- Kia Nurse (2014)
#1 -- Prospects Nation (International Ranked Players)
#10 -- Blue Star Report
#14 -- ASGR (All Star Girls Report)
#33 -- espnW (also listed with a 97 rating and as a five-star recruit)

@EricLA , @ucbart

I notice one ranking system in this bunch that’s an outlier. Significantly off on his assessment again. For the Olson defenders out there, here is another example of him missing the mark significantly. As I’ve mentioned before I think ASGR and Bluestar are the best out there. Dans assessments don’t seem to take into account future college success. He’s sees flashiness on the court (usually from small PGs) and ranks the player high. A taller player like Nurse (5’11”?) gets pushed down with him because of it.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I notice one ranking system in this bunch that’s an outlier. Significantly off on his assessment again. For the Olson defenders out there, here is another example of him missing the mark significantly. As I’ve mentioned before I think ASGR and Bluestar are the best out there. Dans assessments don’t seem to take into account future college success. He’s sees flashiness on the court (usually from small PGs) and ranks the player high. A taller player like Nurse (5’11”?) gets pushed down with him because of it.

@WBBfolllwer , with all due, I think it is a bit difficult to make such a sweeping judgment based on one player's rating.

First, on his website, Olson does take into account an element of projected collegiate performance.

Second, it is also impossible to predict how well a player will perform for one coach, as compared to another. Would, for example, Nurse developed as well at Indiana (under then-HC Curt Miller) or Penn State (under then-HC Coquese Washington) -- her other finalists -- as she did at UConn? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Third, in the UConn Commitments -- Blue Star Report (2012-2019) thread, I posted Mike Flynn/Blue Star's ratings for all UConn commitments/signees from 2012-2019 (excluding transfers). For the HS Class of 2017, Blue Star report had the following player ratings for UConn's class:

RANK
PLAYER
YEAR
#1Megan Walker2017
#8Mikayla Coombs2017
#10Andra Espinoza-Hunter2017
#21Alexis (Lexi) Gordon2017

In response to your post about Olson's rating of Kia Nurse, I would submit that perhaps the ratings for Coombs, AEH, and Gordon were too high, whereas Prospects Nation had them significantly lower (and Olson had them lower by a lesser amount).

As an aside, ASGR (All Star Girls Report) also had the players from 2017 rated incredibly high -- and arguably too high for three of the four players)
ASGR Rankings -- UConn Commitments (Class of 2017)
  • No. 2 Megan Walker
  • No. 4 Mikayla Coombs
  • No. 11 Lexi Gordon
  • No. 15 Andrea Espinoza-Hunter
*** As an aside, ASGR ranked Evina Westbrook #1 in the HS Class of 2017. Westbrook committed to and played for Tennessee, before transferring to UConn.

t is not an exact science. Obviously, rankings will vary based on player performance, number of times seen/evaluated by the recruiter, whether evaluations were with the high school team at major tournaments (including state championships) or AAU events, etc.

Personally, I like that Olson updates his rankings incredibly frequently, after he has a recent evaluation of the players. It allows for a present sense impression (to borrow a term from the Federal Rules of Evidence), rather than going back months later and trying to compare.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The just completed U18 Nordic Championships:

Finland went 5-0 and Awak Kuier won MVP despite playing in just three games. Kuier averaged 17 points and 13.3 rebs on 56% from the field and a 23.3 Efficiency rating. She was 3/9 from three and 2/6 from the line.

Denmark went 4-1 behind Julianna Okosun who was named an all-star. Okosun played in four games and averaged 13.3 points and 10.3 rebs on 54% from the field and a 16.3 Efficiency rating. She was 13/18 from the foul line.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The U19 team about to being training.

The Canadian U19 team hasn't even been picked yet. They just started a training camp to determine their roster. Aaliyah Edwards hoping to make it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The U19 team about to being training.

The Canadian U19 team hasn't even been picked yet. They just started a training camp to determine their roster. Aaliyah Edwards hoping to make it.

Edwards was picked to play a 5 game European exhibition tour with CA's senior women's team, so I'd think she's a lock.

Edwards added to Canadian senior women's basketball team

Reaction Score
So, I clearly am an novice, but from all I've ready here and elsewhere I though that UConn was a contender for Azzi Fudd, now I accidentally stumbled upon a board for UVA (Virginia) women's hoops, and they seem to think that it's between them and South Carolina, since their head coach and Dawn have been spending the most time watching here and getting acclimated with her parents.... Is there validity to this? (I ask those who clearly know more than I seem to know or hear regarding recruiting...)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So, I clearly am an novice, but from all I've ready here and elsewhere I though that UConn was a contender for Azzi Fudd, now I accidentally stumbled upon a board for UVA (Virginia) women's hoops, and they seem to think that it's between them and South Carolina, since their head coach and Dawn have been spending the most time watching here and getting acclimated with her parents.... Is there validity to this? (I ask those who clearly know more than I seem to know or hear regarding recruiting...)

Can't tell you where Fudd will end up, but I can tell you that she's visited the campus twice and Hartford twice, that her best friend will begin play as a Husky next season, and that every assistant on Geno's staff follows not just her but her father on numerous social media accounts.

UConn is a heavy favorite.

Reaction Score

As much validity as any other fan board. ;)

With no knowledge other than what I read I'd say that UConn has at least as much of a shot as any other school. History shows that more transcendent players play for Geno. Taurasi, Parker, Moore, Stewart. Three out of 4. Now Fudd was said to be college ready as a HS freshman and was also said to be the top HS player in the country as a HS freshman. I hope she is that good and wants to play for Geno. Most of that type do.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For those who are not familiar with the NJ girls high school basketball scene.
Justine Pissott has almost unlimited range. There will always be room on a roster for someone who can shoot like she can.

Green, the guy who tweeted that, seems certain she's going to go to a smaller school, perhaps in the IVY League where she already has offers.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So BlueStar Europe had a 30 3 day with Agata Makurat and Hana Muhl among others. Kitija Laksa was on the training staff. In this short video you get to see Kitija in her kinesio tape and study the form of Hana Muhl's jump shot. Hey, things are slow. I'm trying.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Agata Makurat had something going on at 12 too.

Sure has the wrist flop down.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And it takes news a while to get across the pond.

MVP award for ‘Baby Muhl’, France win Poinçonnet U16 - Bluestar Media

On the way to the MVP she averaged 19 points, though one game she notched 43 points, including 6 3s, 12 rebounds and EVAL of 48.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Green, the guy who tweeted that, seems certain she's going to go to a smaller school, perhaps in the IVY League where she already has offers.

Then again, Pissott's father follows Chris Dailey on Twitter so.......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't know if there's mutual interest yet, but 2022 Grace VanSlooten's father follows CD as well. Grace, who does not appear to have her own twitter account, is ranked 20th by ESPN. She's a 6-2 stretch forward who made the last 42 at the U16 trials.

Reaction Score
Then again, Pissott's father follows Chris Dailey on Twitter so..
It would be difficult to turn down a Princeton offer but...
I'm not sure of Pissott's athletic level, but I am sure of her outside shooting ability.

Reaction Score
It would be difficult to turn down a Princeton offer but...
I'm not sure of Pissott's athletic level, but I am sure of her outside shooting ability.

I thought that's what people said Molly Bent did, which would be kind of dumb for someone who is supposed to be so smart.

Reaction Score
I don't know if there's mutual interest yet, but 2022 Grace VanSlooten's father follows CD as well. Grace, who does not appear to have her own twitter account, is ranked 20th by ESPN. She's a 6-2 stretch forward who made the last 42 at the U16 trials.

That would be really weird for someone who goes to a school named Notre Dame to be interested in Uconn :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I thought that's what people said Molly Bent did, which would be kind of dumb for someone who is supposed to be so smart.
I suspect that she got only a partial scholarship offer from Princeton, which would be a typical Ivy League practice. If so, then accepting a full scholarship offer from UConn would save her family a major amount of money, and would not be a dumb decision at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom