2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 131 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She's athletic and can block shots, but she's also pretty raw. Always overshadowed by Edwards when I watched.

just another example of a big with potential but extremely unfinished...............hate to bring it up again but that's why Boston was such a big loss...........maybe not the finished item but finished enough for 16/8 most every game

MTC

Reaction Score
Tasha’s potential is off the charts. She is so long and athletic, but yes very raw. She is definitely one I would keep an eye on to see how she develops if I was the staff.
Tasha disappears in crunch time, lacks stamina to be a factor.

Reaction Score
just another example of a big with potential but extremely unfinished.....hate to bring it up again but that's why Boston was such a big loss......maybe not the finished item but finished enough for 16/8 most every game

How can you lose something that you never had?

Reaction Score
I also think she’ll get better shots at UConn. Who knows if it’ll translate in to a better shooting %. We’ll find out. Kia Nurse shot much better at UConn than she did playing for Team Canada.

Nurse was not a primary scorer for Canada until after the Pan Am games. She was a 16 year old starting on her natioanal team with team mates close to twice her age in some cases. Both Makurat and Muhl are children compared to a lot of the players in their leagues. Sure, one can say that they aren't filled with highly talented players but compared to HS & AAU it's far above, mostly due to the experience of the players. I predict both Makurat and Muhl will have a much easier time adjusting to a team concept like UConn's than will their HS counterparts. (not Bueckers, who is special ;))

Reaction Score
Maybe the real takeaway here is that there is an explosion of talent and as a result the sport will continue to get more and more competitive and find more and more fans. Tennessee, then UConn paved the way. Still, it's true that the rich get richer and everyone else gets the NIT....

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Do we have any idea as to when the NCAA will decide whether Westbrook can play this coming season???

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we have any idea as to when the NCAA will decide whether Westbrook can play this coming season???
From a prior post in the Evina Westbrook thread.
________
Here are next steps and rough timeline.
1) Evina has to be accepted by UCONN and put on scholarship-Done.
2) Evina will be enrolled in one or both of the Summer sessions at UCONN. (June 3 - August 16, 2019)
3) UCONN submits request for immediate eligibility on day one of Evina's enrollment-June 3rd, 2019
4) Revisions, rewrites, tweaking of the waiver request. (June- September 2019)
5) NCAA will make a final decision ~ October, 2019 based on the Jessica Shepard timeline.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thank you Coco.
Your best guess....does she play next season?
Yes, for 5 very good reasons. 1) Evina is WNBA draft eligible at the end of this coming season. If she has to sit a year she will be able to go straight to the WNBA without playing anymore WCBB. 2) UCONN has two very talented guards coming in 2020 which would make for a very crowded backcourt with Evina. 3) The biggest hurdle might be TN supporting the waiver request. TN finds itself in a position of needing to play UCONN to get back to respectability. Lack of TN support for the waiver would put the continuation of the TN-UCONN series in jeopardy=bigger loss for TN. 4) Most important, got to believe that Geno and the staff factored in all of the above into the decision to accept Evina in the first place & likely placed a call to TN to get a feeling of which way they were leaning.
5) As @UConnCat keeps pointing out- what goes around comes around. TN might one day find itself in need of immediately eligible impact players. I can't prove this but it appears that UCONN has or is about to support every request for immediate eligibility for players that have transferred out under this new guideline which would include (AEH, Lexi Gordon, and Mikayla Coombs).
Lastly, The NCAA approved 77% of waiver WCBB request for immediate eligibility last year and implemented new guidance for those request in April 2018. Among the new guidance is the one that has already been mentioned which is the old school MUST support the waiver request. Another, perhaps more important, consideration is the phrase "due to circumstances beyond the control of the player". I'm not a lawyer but I would argue that a coaching change is a "circumstance" well beyond the control of any player. I suspect that any waiver request for which there was a coaching change this year will get approved under this new guideline-but.... this is the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, for 5 very good reasons. 1) Evina is WNBA draft eligible at the end of this coming season. If she has to sit a year she will be able to go straight to the WNBA without playing anymore WCBB. 2) UCONN has two very talented guards coming in 2020 which would make for a very crowded backcourt with Evina. 3) The biggest hurdle might be TN supporting the waiver request. TN finds itself in a position of needing to play UCONN to get back to respectability. Lack of TN support for the waiver would put the continuation of the TN-UCONN series in jeopardy=bigger loss for TN. 4) Most important, got to believe that Geno and the staff factored in all of the above into the decision to accept Evina in the first place & likely placed a call to TN to get a feeling of which way they were leaning.
5) As @UConnCat keep pointing out- what goes around comes around. TN might one day find itself in need of immediately eligible impact players. I can't prove this but it appears that UCONN has or is about to support every request for immediate eligibility for players that have transferred out under this new guideline which would include (AEH, Lexi Gordon, and Mikayla Coombs).
Lastly, The NCAA approved 77% of waiver WCBB request for immediate eligibility last year and implemented new guidance for those request in April 2018. Among the new guidance is the one that has already been mentioned which is the old school MUST support the waiver request. Another, perhaps more important, consideration is the phrase "due to circumstances beyond the control of the player". I'm not a lawyer but I would argue that a coaching change is a "circumstance" well beyond the control of any player. I suspect that any waiver request for which there was a coaching change this year will get approved under this new guideline-but.... this is the NCAA

I absolutely agree with all of your points except maybe #2...................are you saying the NCAA should care how many guards UConn has coming in 2020? That's the kind of "problem" that all teams wish for............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree with all of your points except maybe #2....are you saying the NCAA should care how many guards UConn has coming in 2020? That's the kind of "problem" that all teams wish for..
No I'm not saying the NCAA should care-the NCAA is rather heartless and Mark Emmert might be related to Lucifer. I'm saying Evina knew and would have cared and would have factored that (immediate eligibility) into her decision to come to UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No I'm not saying the NCAA should care-the NCAA is rather heartless and Mark Emmert might be related to Lucifer. I'm saying Evina knew and would have cared and would have factored that into her decision.

I think it's impossible to know what the NCAA will do in this case..............like you said perhaps Westbrook figures she can get the waiver and play or at worst spend a season training with the team to get ready for the following college season or for the start of her pro career..............between Westbrook and the two European recruits there may be some uncertainty about the longevity of their UConn careers.........

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
5) As @UConnCat keeps pointing out- what goes around comes around. TN might one day find itself in need of immediately eligible impact players. I can't prove this but it appears that UCONN has or is about to support every request for immediate eligibility for players that have transferred out under this new guideline which would include (AEH, Lexi Gordon, and Mikayla Coombs).
Lastly, The NCAA approved 77% of waiver WCBB request for immediate eligibility last year and implemented new guidance for those request in April 2018. Among the new guidance is the one that has already been mentioned which is the old school MUST support the waiver request. Another, perhaps more important, consideration is the phrase "due to circumstances beyond the control of the player". I'm not a lawyer but I would argue that a coaching change is a "circumstance" well beyond the control of any player. I suspect that any waiver request for which there was a coaching change this year will get approved under this new guideline-but.... this is the NCAA.

I also think this situation provides a level of drama that the NCAA needs and professional sports thrives on. If they don’t approve the waiver, that drama will be greatly diminished (or completely lost if Evina goes to the W) in 2020-21. This gives a big storyline for the season that isn’t just of interest to WCBB fans. If they think about this just from a publicity standpoint, I think that plays a big, unofficial role in the decision making.

Reaction Score
Brink is the best of the big forwards/centers as far as I can see......they all seem to have some flaws whether it's offense, defense or a lack of a full time motor......whoever UConn gets will be a work in progress that's for sure..
From a prior post in the Evina Westbrook thread.
________
Here are next steps and rough timeline.
1) Evina has to be accepted by UCONN and put on scholarship-Done.
2) Evina will be enrolled in one or both of the Summer sessions at UCONN. (June 3 - August 16, 2019)
3) UCONN submits request for immediate eligibility on day one of Evina's enrollment-June 3rd, 2019
4) Revisions, rewrites, tweaking of the waiver request. (June- September 2019)
5) NCAA will make a final decision ~ October, 2019 based on the Jessica Shepard timeline.

Westbrook said she plans on starting workouts in June, I’m not sure if she means on her own, or at UConn.

Reaction Score
Westbrook said she plans on starting workouts in June, I’m not sure if she means on her own, or at UConn.

Most likely at UConn, just about every player stays on campus for the summer. They usually take a couple of their tougher academic classes in the summer, this allows them to only carry 12 credits(the minimum allowed by NCAA) during the season when time is much more precious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom