2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 130 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Makurat's 3 pt % was 29.9% and I don't see the 1' 43/4" difference between the international 3pt line and the NCAA 3pt making very much difference. The NCAA experimented using the international 3pt line during pre season exhibition games and the results were virtually the same.

She did shoot 43.5% from distance last domestic season (and 40.7 in 8 EuroCup Women games) so it's a little hard to know what her real shooting percentage might be. Shooting is considered one of her strengths though so if this season is more of an indicator, that might be a problem later.

Reaction Score
If Geno gets one or two more commits for next year, these individuals will become role players. Page B. will be the starting point guard and Audrey Griffin looks like she has a shot at one of the two open positions next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not very impressive in this tape
I haven't watched it yet, but she apparently scored 18 points. I saw a tweet stating her team was doing a poor job getting her the ball inside.
Gusters looked uninspired during this game and definitely a step or two slower than she was at Boo Williams in 2018. Andrews is playing off the ball and looked equally nonchalant. Even when Gusters had established position and was open inside the entire TEAM ignored her in favor of a jacked shot or silly drive. I think missing a year of HS ball maybe beginning to cost Gusters.

Reaction Score
It's inconceivable that the percentages would be virtually the same with the line back 1 foot and 4 and 3/4 inches. Please cite the statistics and source.

Can't remember what article had the exact percentages but here is an article that uses data from the 2019 NIT and states "Results from the 2019 NIT experiment showed teams took more 3-point shots and shot a slightly lower percentage compared to their regular-season averages." The difference was just over 1% point if I remember correctly, it was virtually the same.

NCAA rules committee proposes moving back 3-point line to international distance

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is a point that @UConnCat has made several times, but the worrisome among us will still worry. It is what they do.

I also think she’ll get better shots at UConn. Who knows if it’ll translate in to a better shooting %. We’ll find out. Kia Nurse shot much better at UConn than she did playing for Team Canada.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can't remember what article had the exact percentages but here is an article that uses data from the 2019 NIT and states "Results from the 2019 NIT experiment showed teams took more 3-point shots and shot a slightly lower percentage compared to their regular-season averages." The difference was just over 1% point if I remember correctly, it was virtually the same.

NCAA rules committee proposes moving back 3-point line to international distance
"With an extended 3-point line of 22 feet, 1.75 inches, 3-point accuracy over the course of 31 games in the 2019 NIT was 1.4 percent lower than the season average for the 2019 season. "

Examining the Effects of NIT Rule Changes: Extended 3-Point Line, Wider Lane - Stadium

Couple of caveats though:
Anna would be going in the opposite direction-shooting from closer.
Your better shooting teams are not in the NIT.
Pretty hard to make that adjustment (end of season) when you have gone a whole season shooting at the closer distance.

Reaction Score
"With an extended 3-point line of 22 feet, 1.75 inches, 3-point accuracy over the course of 31 games in the 2019 NIT was 1.4 percent lower than the season average for the 2019 season. "

Examining the Effects of NIT Rule Changes: Extended 3-Point Line, Wider Lane - Stadium

Couple of caveats though:
Anna would be going in the opposite direction-shooting from closer.
Your better shooting teams are not in the NIT.
Pretty hard to make that adjustment (end of season) when you have gone a whole season shooting at the closer distance.

Thanks for finding that, I read it last night and could not find it again this morning.

Reaction Score
Brink is the best of the big forwards/centers as far as I can see................they all seem to have some flaws whether it's offense, defense or a lack of a full time motor................whoever UConn gets will be a work in progress that's for sure............

Reaction Score
Brink is the best of the big forwards/centers as far as I can see......they all seem to have some flaws whether it's offense, defense or a lack of a full time motor......whoever UConn gets will be a work in progress that's for sure..

The more film I watch on Cardoso, the more I like her game! She is in desperate need of good coaching, but the tools are there. She has a "pro ready" body right now, she moves very well for a post her size, she plays solid help defense and stays straight up with arms, she doesn't swat to block shots which keeps her fouls down, she runs the court well, she uses her height well by keeping rebounds high and doesn't bring the ball back down on put back attempts, she has good hands. She does lack a "killer instinct" and needs to routinely post up harder and call for the ball more, but I think that will come with good coaching and confidence.

Reaction Score
The more film I watch on Cardoso, the more I like her game! She is in desperate need of good coaching, but the tools are there. She has a "pro ready" body right now, she moves very well for a post her size, she plays solid help defense and stays straight up with arms, she doesn't swat to block shots which keeps her fouls down, she runs the court well, she uses her height well by keeping rebounds high and doesn't bring the ball back down on put back attempts, she has good hands. She does lack a "killer instinct" and needs to routinely post up harder and call for the ball more, but I think that will come with good coaching and confidence.

she certainly runs the court well for her size.....................in the videos I've seen her teammates haven't done a great job of getting the ball inside to her for what should be an easy layup.............has the size to dominate but it is certainly in need of coaching................also isn't there talk of her going pro overseas?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we know for sure if both were offered scholarships?
Per published reports Reese is holding a UCONN offer.
The web site at Cardosa HS Hamilton Heights Christian Academy DOES NOT list UCONN as one of the schools who has offered her. Cardosa HS also received a reprieve last week from being schedule for closure so I not sure how up to date the HS list is.

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz lists UConn as on Reese’s list of schools but lists Cardoso as undeclared, no schools listed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz lists UConn as on Reese’s list of schools but lists Cardoso as undeclared, no schools listed.
Hoopgurlz historically inaccurate for schools that players are interested in.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ESPN is going off public info. UConn being on Reese's final list has been reported and stated by Reese herself. The only public info we have on Cardoso is that UConn has shown interest. It helps to have a local media that reports on girls HS basketball, something Cardoso lacks in comparison.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here is a player to keep an eye on: Raegan Beers, a 2022 PF out of Colorado. Many watchers seem to think her stock rose the most this past weekend. She had a great freshman year and she's quite impressive on film.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is a name to player to keep an eye on: Raegan Beers, a 2022 PF out of Colorado. Many watchers seem to think her stock rose the most this past weekend. She had a great freshman year and she's quite impressive on film.
Oh my! She certainly puts the Power in PF. Plays like the Paris twins did in HS.

Reaction Score
Jasmine Lister just started following two new Instagram accounts:

Kamilla Cardoso.

Lattasha Lattimore, Canadian 2021 and Crestwood High teammate of Aaliyah Edwards.

Lattimore is a beast on the boards and quite a good finisher............her offensive game needs some development but I think she's a '21 so still has time to work on it

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lattimore is a beast on the boards and quite a good finisher..her offensive game needs some development but I think she's a '21 so still has time to work on it

She's athletic and can block shots, but she's also pretty raw. Always overshadowed by Edwards when I watched.

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
She's athletic and can block shots, but she's also pretty raw. Always overshadowed by Edwards when I watched.
Tasha’s potential is off the charts. She is so long and athletic, but yes very raw. She is definitely one I would keep an eye on to see how she develops if I was the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom